1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Shiny hunting methods and stories!

Discussion in 'Pokémon General' started by RadEmpoleon, Nov 21, 2018.

Tags:
  1. RadEmpoleon

RadEmpoleon certified EPIC Gamer™

Bondo
    (Sobble)
    Level 9
    PokéPoints:
    ₽4,003.8
    Comet Shard ★★★★Poké Doll ★★
    Do you go shiny hunting? Which methods do you use and which one is your favorite? Do you have any crazy stories about shiny hunts?

I used to not go shiny hunting, but now I want to try it more. (Also I got the shiny charm today in Sun so I’m gonna try more SOS chains and stuff. Chain fishing is probably the easiest (and my favorite) to use because it is quick and the odds stack up fast. After only 20 in a row, you have a 41/4096, or about a 1% chance, of finding a shiny. (If you want to know, the formula is 1+2*streak number/4096, and it caps at 41/4096, or at a chain of 20.)

Here’s my 2 crazy stories:
    I just finished watching a shiny hunt stream by one of my favorite youtubers and I wanted to try to do a SOS chain like what she was doing. I went out to Malie Garden, where I wanted to find a Poliwag (to try to chain for a Politoed). Actually before I found the Poliwag, I found a random encounter shiny Ariados and I was shocked, my hands shook as I tried to catch it and I’m just saying oh my gosh over and over. Mostly because that was my first shiny since 2015, and no shiny charm. That was the full 1/4096. I did catch it and named it Pinky. Also this happened in spoopy October.
    This happened on Friday or Saturday. I was out chain fishing for mainly Corsola since of the 3 Pokémon I could get while fishing in that particular spot (Corsola, Octillery, Gorebyss), Corsola was the most common one to show up. I was a couple chains in, maybe 5 or 6, getting somewhat impatient, them bam, shiny Corsola. After only 7 encounters. Which, using the formula above, is a 15/4096 chance. I freaked out so much, I caught it and named it Blue Corral
    (Can’t post pics of them since the files are too big ;-; )

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Wolf Expert

Wolf Expert Canine Scholar

Wolf
    (Riolu)
    Level 24
    PokéPoints:
    ₽761.2
    Moon Ball ★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★Premier Ball ★Friend Ball ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★
    I like the dexnav from the gen 3 remakes the most.

As for stories, there was a time when I was trying to find a Croagunk for a gen 4 team and for some reason I just couldn't find one. I was searching for hours and somehow just never got a Croagunk encounter. One finally showed up and it ended up being a shiny. I named her Lily after a type of dagger.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Shadria

Shadria Impish Illusionary Kitsune

Lucan
    (Ralts ♂)
    Level 6
    PokéPoints:
    ₽501.7
    Black Glasses ★★★★Friend Ball ★★★★Park Ball ★★★Helix Fossil ★★★Sun Stone ★★★
    I like SOS chaining, Hoard battles, and Madusa Method (SOS is the only one that has helped me)

Years ago I was introducing my cousin to Pokémon while going through Mt. Moon in Fire Red. I was telling him that there was a rare type of Pokémon, called Shiny, when I heard a heart stopping 'Ding'. We squealed as the golden nugget of a Geodude was on the screen, and we utterly panicked as I threw Great Balls. My Pokémon were a few levels higher and I was terrified it would Self Destruct, but somehow, luckily.. the 3rd Greatball was a success at full health.

4. Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero The second seal

Jeff
    (Spinarak)
    Level 19
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,869.8
    This one time this past summer, I soft-resetted in an Ultra Wormhole about 5-6k times looking for a shiny Rayquaza. Still never got that one.

I have no method, I've only ever hunted twice (one the failed Rayquaza above, and the other was a successful SOS Bunneary hunt), but I have found several on chance. There's the shiny Rayquaza that I found waaay back in Gen 3, a Vulpix I found while doing horde battles in AlphaSapphire seeking a Hidden Ability Vulpix, a random Shiny Eevee I got unexpected while breeding Eevee (unfortunately, this was early enough in my sequence I didn't have the egg moves or nature I want for anything), an unexpected Golurk I found while grinding for Black2 Elite Four (I was already training a Golurk, so that was a dilemma deciding which to keep on my team). Not much else that stands out to me other than some hacked mons through Wonder Trade.

5. Momo Kiseki

Riolu
    (Riolu)
    Level 30
    PokéPoints:
    ₽847.5
    Big Nugget ★★★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★Icy Rock ★★★
    I spent a good couple of hours sos hunting a shiny eevee but no luck. To this day the only shinies I have have been traded to me. Heck I tried to shiny hunt registeel in an ultra wormhole nope!
    Tried rayquaza as well. Nope!
    I even tried mewtwo! No luck! I think I just have the worst shiny luck ever...but then...maybe that's only for games? I mean I caught shiny eevee on here (which counts as the only shiny I have every caught myself...*sigh* one day)

6. Sheinxy

Sheinxy Black Belt

Milky
    (Shinx)
    Level 40
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,893.6
    I don't do that much Shiny hunting, and I don't have that many stories to tell,
    So, I mainly (only?) shiny hunted on Pokémon X,
    The first time I've ever hunted was by chain fishing, and I didn't know a lot about Shiny hunting, and my brother told me that by fishing many times at the same place it could increase my chances at getting a Shiny, and well I didn't believe it, so to prove he was wrong I started doing it... and got a Shiny after a few tries, I was like "WAIT WTH IT REALLY WORKED?" x)

Probably my only "interesting" story about shiny was on Pokémon X, and I was hunting in the friends park, trying to get a specific shiny for a friend, there were only two possible Pokémon in that park, and guess what? I managed to find a shiny,
    but not the right one x3
    I was like "COME ONNNNNNNNNNN ;W;"