1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Shiny Pokémon in Sword/Shield

Discussion in 'Switch Pokémon Games' started by BZRich64, Nov 17, 2019.

?

Are you planning on (or have already started) shiny hunting in SwSh?

1. Of course!

4 vote(s)
    80.0%
  2. Why bother?

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  1. BZRich64

BZRich64 The Mustachiod Machamp

Late For A Date
    (Bunnelby)
    Level 14
    PokéPoints:
    ₽6,943.7
    Now that the games have been out a couple days, its time to start talking about one of the most important (or most inconsequential depending on your viewpoint, but if you clicked this thread than you're probably interested in it) aspects of any Pokémon games: finding shiny Pokémon.

Personally, I haven't found any shiny Pokémon yet, though I also haven't started looking yet either. If you have found a shiny (or more than one), then tell everyone about it here. Or maybe you have some advise on how to shiny hunt in these new games that you want to share with the world? Or perhaps you just want to discuss a specific new shiny Pokémon?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. RadEmpoleon

RadEmpoleon certified EPIC Gamer™

Bondo
    (Sobble)
    Level 11
    PokéPoints:
    ₽4,124.8
    Comet Shard ★★★★Poké Doll ★★
    I heard that they’re still doing the catch combo thing like they had in the Let’s Go games, is that true?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Hraesvelgr

Hraesvelgr Snek in Your Boot

Zapdos Egg
    (Zapdos Egg)
    Level 21
    PokéPoints:
    ₽11,983.7
    Trainer Card - Cave ThemeDragon Fang ★★★★Philosopher's CowlWater Stone ★★★Great Ball ★★
    I haven't found any shinies yet, but someone I raided with had a shiny Corviknight and it looked so good. Def one of the shinies I'd want at one point, that one and Yamper because Yamper is best boy.

4. Shadria

Shadria Impish Illusionary Kitsune

Lucan
    (Ralts ♂)
    Level 6
    PokéPoints:
    ₽501.7
    Black Glasses ★★★★Friend Ball ★★★★Park Ball ★★★Helix Fossil ★★★Sun Stone ★★★
    I've heard that the key numbers are 500 and 25. 500 encounters and maybe 25 catches. There is no visible difference in the overworld model for a shiny-I've seen at least 2 people getting a shiny the first time they went into the grass with a normal wooloo overworld sprite.
    Yellow Aura may sometimes appear, but that's a signal that there is something else special with the Pokémon.One video showed a Rookidee with Rock Smash- so I'm guessing they get Egg Moves and maybe Hidden Abilities!

5. BZRich64

BZRich64 The Mustachiod Machamp

Late For A Date
    (Bunnelby)
    Level 14
    PokéPoints:
    ₽6,943.7
    The other day I managed to breed a shiny Growlithe completely by accident. Wasn't even through the Masuda Method or anything, just pure chance. Certainly had me excited. Especially since its the new 'square sparkle' shiny variant that are ever rarer than the standard 'star sparkle' variant. I was absolutely flabbergasted when I saw him hatch and "Tiger" almost immediately became a major member of my post-game team even though I already had a couple good fire-types. Only problem is that I keep mistaking him for an electric-type because of his yellow fur (should probably teach him Thunder Fang).
    That's the only shiny I've managed to get my hands on so far, but I think I'm going to start trying to actively shiny hunt now that I've completed the Pokédex.

6. Dawn

Dawn La vie est drôle

Cresselia
    (Cresselia)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,104.6
    Shiny hunting isn't really my thing...RNG, extremely low chance even with boosts. This is the kind of thing that infuriates me in video games when it is incorporated as a game mechanic I can't avoid. The lack of guarantee that your hard work and effort will be rewarded with what you're looking for puts me off the whole business...and I just don't have the time for it. I have so much else to play. Just filling the dex was enough for me; I doubt I will go back to Shield again any time within the next few years, and if I do it certainly won't be to shiny hunt. Hard pass.

7. Louise

Louise Bug Catcher

Shinx
    (Shinx)
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽167.1
    not had much luck with Shiny hunting been trying for 5 days now

8. Jeydis

Jeydis J̷̉͐O̵̔̏Ǐ̶͝N̵̒̍ ̷͚̇Ǘ̸̂S̴͘

Boomer
    (Noibat)
    Level 6
    PokéPoints:
    ₽5,293.6
    Poké Ball ★Trainer Card - Cave Theme
    Not going to be my primary objective but if I get my dittos transferred over at some point I will probably hunt for a shiny Applin

9. Hraesvelgr

Hraesvelgr Snek in Your Boot

Zapdos Egg
    (Zapdos Egg)
    Level 21
    PokéPoints:
    ₽11,983.7
    Trainer Card - Cave ThemeDragon Fang ★★★★Philosopher's CowlWater Stone ★★★Great Ball ★★
    I started on a Yamper hunt, hopefully it'll give the desired results. So far I've done the thing where you battle 500 of the same species and catch 25 as well. Hopefully the shiny charm will be useful and I'll actually get the shiny corgi.