1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Pokémon Anime Should the Pokémon Anime have stopped?

Discussion in 'Pokémon General' started by Achromatic, Oct 12, 2018.

1. Achromatic

Achromatic #TeamMagikarp

Eevee (KS)
    (Eevee (KS))
    Level 17
    PokéPoints:
    ₽700.5
    Deep Sea Scale ★★★Deep Sea Tooth ★★★Star Piece ★★★★Rage Candy Bar ★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★
    Some people feel tired of the same old formula the Pokémon Anime has brought. Do you feel it should have stopped by now, maybe be replaced by something different?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. WavePearl

WavePearl Believer in Possibilities

Cuidachta
    (Corvisquire)
    Level 38
    PokéPoints:
    ₽37,633.7
    I don't think the problem is it overstayed its welcome, than wasted potential. The games have so many interesting ideas, stories, characters, and sidequests to bring to life, so I feel they made some questionable decisions by not taking advantage of them for plot and worldbuilding ideas.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. ChocoChicken

Krysmus Azelv (lol)
    (Krysmus Azelv)
    Level 33
    PokéPoints:
    ₽9,990.4
    Misty's EmblemLegendary Triforce ★★
    The anime is an important part of Pokémon, so they shouldn't stop it. However, Ash has been going for over 10 years, and his personality is starting to get bland and boring. The travel companions aren't much better. Instead of reusing "Ash and Pikachu try out league, fail league, go to next region", they should get him to win, and then make a new protagonist. What we already have isn't working well enough.

4. Dawn

Dawn La vie est drôle

Cresselia
    (Cresselia)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,104.6
    I don't see why they can't just shake up the formula a bit and be consistent with it. The DPPt arc was astounding, with solid characterisation and excellent storytelling over the Team Galactic plot. The XYZ arc was a return to form for Ash (albeit not quite as impressive as DPPt due to his over-reliance on Ash-Greninja) but he lost the Kalos League finals for literally no reason at all. He was MORE than set up to trash Alain and take the championship, and he didn't. Why? Because the writers don't like Ash winning anything of consequence. He isn't allowed to change and grow outside of a very narrow scope that ultimately means nothing because he forgets it all once the series ends.

The problem is the reboot the anime undergoes with practically every new region Ash travels to. He is completely reset and it never goes anywhere - the previous season might as well have not happened. I don't think there is anything wrong with Ash as a character, as when he's been a competent trainer he has been pretty fantastic viewing...the problem is that the writers won't let him win, or retain any of his experience, or be anything other than this mediocre blank slate that gets scrubbed down and purged after they've scribbled all over it.

The anime needs to be more than a way to sell the games.

5. Cilan

Cilan Sailor

PokéPoints:
    ₽128.9
    As a fan of the anime, SM has been kind of stale.

I was sort of hoping they would slowly explore the islands, but they seem to just be stuck in Melemele and have barely done anything with the other islands.

I had high hopes for Hau to break this up a bit, but going by the 2 seconds he was in this opening, my hopes were kind of let down.

I hope they shake it up next gen.

6. Sheep

Sheep Supporter

Xerneas Egg
    (Xerneas Egg)
    Level 10
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,366.0
    Would be extremely silly for it to stop given its popularity in Japan, even if it's still nowhere near as big as it used to be. The anime series does well to market merchandise and introduce new children to the franchise with each generation. I have grown to like Ash a lot in the newest Sun & Moon saga and am extremely happy with how that series is progressing, but completely understand why some others feel different. Ash is too iconic at this point to replace....though it would've been really interesting to at least have a side-series running focused on the games with their respective protagonists. Like Pokémon Origins which most of us, especially older fans, adored.

7. BZRich64

BZRich64 The Mustachiod Machamp

Late For A Date
    (Bunnelby)
    Level 13
    PokéPoints:
    ₽6,644.3
    Personally I don't think that the anime should have ended so much as they should just switch out the main character every generation instead of keeping Ash. What I think they should have had Ash win the Silver Conference at the end of the Johto arc, then have a new character with each generation, with old characters occasionally making appearances so that people can see what happened to them after their journey ended and have them battle the current protagonist.

Sadly, its really too late to start having a turnover like that anymore and they're probably stuck using Ash at this point for brand recognition purposes now.