1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Signature Making Tutorials: Downloading GIMP

Discussion in 'Creative Zone' started by Vigilance, Aug 20, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Vigilance

Vigilance once here, now gone

Fletchling
    (Fletchling)
    Level 54
    PokéPoints:
    ₽404.2
    Master BallGold Bottle Cap ★★★★★Mewnium Z  ★★★★★Beast Ball ★★★★Staff of Verity
    Signature Making Tutorials: Downloading GIMP

In an effort to get more people creating signatures, I will be releasing short tutorials to make them using GIMP, a free software. I will also release PSDs in the near future.

The first tutorial, is not really a tutorial. It's an interest post/tutorial to the first step in the process, downloading and setting up GIMP. It is fairly easy.
    Please post a reply below once you have downloaded GIMP or if you already have it.

GIMP, is a free open source software, that rivals Photoshop (PS) for GFX artists. It does not have all the bells and whistles of Photoshop but since it is free to use and it comes pretty close, it is a popular choice. Of course, it is nicer if you have PS, I do not, so I use GIMP.
    1. The first step would be to go to GIMP's website and download GIMP. Here is the link.
    2. Choose "Download GIMP directly."
    3. Download GIMP, and when the download is complete, choose "run" and let it install and load up.
    4. When GIMP has opened up, go to "Windows" and choose "Single Window Mode."
    5. The final step is to create a file where you will save your work.
    6. Go to your computer's "documents" and create a folder called "Art."
    7. Create two new folders in "Art." One called "XCF" and the other "PNG." (These will be explained in the first tutorial for signature making once enough people have downloaded it and are interested.
    Below is a screenshot of step 1 to get you started knowing you're doing it right:
    [​IMG]

Again, please post a reply below once you have downloaded GIMP or if you already have it if you are interested in making signatures.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Wings likes this.
  2. Wings

Static
    (Shinx)
    Level 100
    PokéPoints:
    ₽677.2
    I would be interested in making signatures, unfortunately I am away from home and do not have my computer currently! I'll notify you again when my trip is over and I get around to downloading GIMP.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Vigilance likes this.
  3. Vigilance

Fletchling
    (Fletchling)
    Level 54
    PokéPoints:
    ₽404.2
    Bumping this in case anyone is interested?

@Wings were you able to download it?

4. BraviaryScout

BraviaryScout Way of the Wind

Bravo
    (Braviary)
    Level 66
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,847.3
    Crown of ValorPoké Ball ★
    I myself am interested. Sadly having spare time and artistic skills are not on the plenty for me :(

5. Shadria

Shadria Impish Illusionary Kitsune

Lucan
    (Ralts ♂)
    Level 6
    PokéPoints:
    ₽501.7
    Black Glasses ★★★★Friend Ball ★★★★Park Ball ★★★Helix Fossil ★★★Sun Stone ★★★
    @Vigilance
    hey-o :3
    I've used GIMP for 3-4 years, but never messed with signatures beyond tiny sprite things-which I did on MS Paint (and the big Shadria gif I have here)
    I want to be more involved in LV so why not try out SOTM..except I'm not sure on my abilities to make Siggys.

Vigilance likes this.
  6. Eclipse

SkittleBox
    (Staryu)
    Level 82
    PokéPoints:
    ₽7.0
    Marshadium Z ★★★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★Comet Shard ★★★★Mewnium Z  ★★★★★
    My advice to you is honestly just toy around and see what you like. Having a good place to start is a good idea, though. There are a fair number of GIMP signature tutorials on DeviantArt that you can use, each with their own unique style. It doesn't really matter which one you choose to start out with; just search 'GIMP signature tutorial' and you'll find a large selection of them (I used this one if you're curious, but IMO, it really doesn't matter too much where you start). Just pick one or two, emulate that style for a while, and then gradually branch out into other things.

A lot of signature making is experimentation, trial and error, and iterations. You will try some things that work and some things that don't work. You will try something that worked well with one signature set but didn't do so well now, and you will try messing around with something new and discover something that looks great entirely on accident. Don't worry about your skill level too much when starting out. Just (insert picture of Shia LaBoeuf here).

If you still want a bit of guidance on where to start, I do keep XCF files of almost all the signatures I've made; if you want to use one of them as a base (or to give yourself an idea or two), hit me up on the Discord and I can oblige. Just peruse my gallery thread so you know which one you'd like.

7. Wings

Static
    (Shinx)
    Level 100
    PokéPoints:
    ₽677.2
    I got home last night, so I'll try to download GIMP before the end of the day! I still have a lot of things to unpack from my trip ^_^

8. Wings

Static
    (Shinx)
    Level 100
    PokéPoints:
    ₽677.2
    Yaaaay GIMP is downloaded but a quick heads up: I've got my schoolwork cut out for me so I don't think I'll be able to make a lot of progress on signatures. Once I'm in school I should be a little less busy so I'll let you know!

Vigilance likes this.
  9. DeleteAbsol

DeleteAbsol Absol-utely Bad

Pichu
    (Pichu)
    Level 24
    PokéPoints:
    ₽20.9
    Deep Sea Tooth ★★★Rage Candy Bar ★★★Deep Sea Scale ★★★Star Piece ★★★★
    I have downloaded Gimp and I am interested in learning how to make signatures. Hopefully I can find some way to make this work for me :) and thank you very much for this.

10. Vigilance

Fletchling
    (Fletchling)
    Level 54
    PokéPoints:
    ₽404.2
  11. BraviaryScout

Bravo
    (Braviary)
    Level 66
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,847.3
    @Vigilance I will try and see if I am available either or both days

12. Vigilance

Fletchling
    (Fletchling)
    Level 54
    PokéPoints:
    ₽404.2
    if you're available today, we can do it as well. :)

13. Shadria

Lucan
    (Ralts ♂)
    Level 6
    PokéPoints:
    ₽501.7
    @Vigilance just let me know when. Not tonight though, already got plans

14. Wings

Static
    (Shinx)
    Level 100
    PokéPoints:
    ₽677.2
    Gosh, I'm so sorry. I have GIMP downloaded, but this entire weekend my schedule is crowded with those violin auditions I think I told you about. I have an eight hour rehearsal tomorrow, so if I make it out alive I'll PM you with days that I can work on making signatures!

15. DeleteAbsol

Pichu
    (Pichu)
    Level 24
    PokéPoints:
    ₽20.9
    I have school but afterwards I don't have to go to work Monday and Tuesday @Vigilance I might be able to do it with y'all then.

16. Vigilance

Fletchling
    (Fletchling)
    Level 54
    PokéPoints:
    ₽404.2
  17. DeleteAbsol

Pichu
    (Pichu)
    Level 24
    PokéPoints:
    ₽20.9
    Well oncemore I have school but I don't have to work that day.

18. BraviaryScout

Bravo
    (Braviary)
    Level 66
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,847.3
    @Vigilance I should be able to attempt it sometime next week :)

19. Wings

Static
    (Shinx)
    Level 100
    PokéPoints:
    ₽677.2
    @Vigilance
    Thursday is amazing, since I'm free almost the entire day! Anytime before 6PM (East Coast time) should be great :)

20. Shadria

Lucan
    (Ralts ♂)
    Level 6
    PokéPoints:
    ₽501.7
    @Vigilance I'm afraid I can't set any dates and may have to 'drop out'. I have 0 idea what's going on day-by-day anymore.