1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Fanfiction Snow - A Noncanon Team Longshot Fluff

Discussion in 'Literature Library' started by flareon71, Jan 9, 2019.

1. flareon71

Legegg
    (Mew Egg)
    Level 20
    PokéPoints:
    ₽392.1
    hey all, it's me, the person
    heads up, this is just a noncanon holiday special thing for my ongoing PSMD fic
    i started working on this special since december
    despite all my one off works that ive posted on this site surprise surprise i started out writing fluff stuff
    this thing's a whopping 30 pages with ocs other than the player and the partner so heads up for that
    here's the thing

The Tale of Team Longshot - A Pokémon Super Mystery Dungeon Fanfiction

Noncanon Holiday Special - Snow

Indigo’s POV

Nothing.

I… think that’s what I’m feeling right now. All… dark and stuff. And here I am right as its center. Yet… it feels like I should be doing something.

I shouldn’t be surprised that the dark is so cold. Not even a chilling breeze is present, just a static, frigid atmosphere encasing what figure of myself I can feel. Almost as if it’s weighing down on me, not exactly threatening to crush my being, but to crush any semblance of feeling I have and to replace it with numbness. This darkness… I don’t even know if I should be scared of it. Can I… even bring myself to shiver in this state? There’s just something about this darkness…

… w-wait, is it… wet?

“... Indigo-o-o-o-o-o, come on, get up! Wake up, you silly Riolu!”

The cheery voice reaches my ears in a vaguely echoed tone, consciousness springing me back to life as I feel myself being dug up from something. Whatever lump I was buried in, it was definitely very real, because I find myself shivering as I’m sat upright.

I look down at my paws to see some sort of damp white substance on them, then realize that there’s more of the cold stuff all over me. I hesitate for a second, then let my instincts take over as I shake it all off.

“Hey, watch it!” The perky, full-of-life tone reaches my ears once again, this time with a hint of playfulness. “That stuff’s cold, especially to me!”

I stop, blinking the drowsiness away to bear witness to the smirk-faced grin of the Snivy facing me. A cloudy sigh escapes my mouth. I really did need the relief of something familiar after my unusual wake up call.

I sheepishly rub the back of my head and meekly smile back. “Good morning, Fia…” I pause, still somewhat caught off guard by how… whatever substance I was just covered in left my fur a bit wet. “Er… do you… happen to know why I was covered in all that… stuff?”

Her smirk drops as she cocks her head and gestures to a white pile, the lump sitting right where my straw bed should be. “You mean snow?”

Snow? I give her my own dejected look. “Isn’t that something related to those Ice types?” My eyes widen. “Were we… just attacked by one?”

Fia lifts a hand to her mouth as she giggles, that playful tone returning. “No, silly!” Then comes the smirk as she gives me a light punch to the arm. “Do you think rain is caused by nearby aggressive Water types as well?”

I hesitate. “Is it?”

A hesitant look comes across Fia’s face as well, as if I just said something dumb. Did I? She crosses her arms with a concerned look on her face. “Did all that cold get to your brain or something?”

I’m back to giving a confused look to the stranger still lumping on my bed. “How… exactly did I get buried there, again?”

Fia gestures to our… open window (can a circular hole in the wall be considered a window?), which isn’t too far from where my bed is. “It snowed all over you. Guess it really wasn’t a good idea to move our beds close to the window.”

I pause, giving her a look. “Wasn’t that your idea?”

Her expression shifts ever so slightly, as if hiding a giggle. “Okay, but you were the one who just slept through it all, you deep sleeper! You know what, maybe some exploring will help warm you up!”

Fia quickly circles around the room, picking up her own bag and slinging it over her shoulder. I then recognize the purple-leaf-covered bag she proceeds to toss my way. I catch my bag with an outstretched paw and put its leafy strap around my shoulder, adjusting it a bit to make sure it’s comfortable.

“W-Wait…” I say, looking back towards my bed. “Aren’t we going to clean that up-”

“Come on, let’s go already!” Fia grabs me by the paw and drags me out the door.

Fia’s POV

Another day, another chance to explore! “Come on, isn’t this exciting, Indigo?”

We rush out to the hallway, the one right next to the main area. “Are you sure we should even be going outside today?” he asks.

“A little cold outside won’t stop us!” I say, right before moving to a stop.

Indigo skids to a stop as well. “But… apparently the need for a morning briefing will.”

I return his peeking amused tone with a jab to the arm before looking back at the gathering here just to make sure. Everyone really is here, Buizel, Archen, Bunnelby, Sammy, and that’s not even talking about everyone else! Ampharos and Mawile are still in the front of the room, looking ready to give those Expedition Society morning announcements and stuff!

My look twists to a confused one as I get into where I usually stand. “Aren’t times like these supposed to be for days off and stuff?”

Dedenne looks up at me. “Oh, it is,” she squeaks. “But just like every other morning, we still have to go through the routine before the day off announcement hits.” She faces ahead, looking through the gaps of everyone else in front of us, with a lax look on her face. “I’m sure it won’t take too long.”

Indigo sidles on up beside me, accidentally nudging into Buizel in the process. He’s given a weird look.

“Why are you wet? And cold?” Buizel’s eyes suddenly widen, his tone becoming hushed. “Did we have a break-in?”

I already know what Indigo’s gonna say judging by the look in his eyes. Before he can speak, I pull out a vine that gently tugs on his snout, making him sneeze a little sneeze.

I fail to hide my giggle. “Just some weather. Weird weather, but at least we’re fine!”

I see the genuine concern in Buizel’s face ease away as he sighs. Right before he’s prodded by a yellow wing.

“Don’t mind him,” Archen says to us, looking more tired and cranky than usual with that beaked sneer of his. Maybe it’s the tired part. “Buizel here’s just thinking way too hard about any thugs that come out during times like these. Again.”

Bunnelby looks over at us from near the other two with a cheeky look of his own. “Don’t mind him. Weather like this makes it hard for Flying type fellows to get through the sky, meaning he’ll just have to stay indoors for his own sake. Flightlessness doesn’t help.”

Archen glares at him with a mean smirk. “So you’re willing to bring that up, aren’tcha?”

Buizel looks at us with a tired smile, stepping between his two buddies. “Don’t mind them. Just another friendly quarrel. Still, at the end of the day, whatever the weather, special things like this between friends don’t change.”

I smile back. “You’re definitely right about that.”

I still remember back in Serene Village when me and the other kids would play around in the snow and stuff. I’m pretty sure it’s because we took the rare opportunity of a weather change that drastic. Whatever it was, we all had fun! After we convinced Goomy to join us, after all. Even if Pancham and Shelmet were still their troublemaking selves, we all put aside our differences and remembered that we’re all still friends. Be it tripping even more than usual, admiring Deerling’s brown shade of fur, or trying to make Espurr laugh, it’s all a good time.

Of course, they’re all back in Serene Village, probably having all that fun without me. I’ll still manage! After all, I still have-

Indigo sneezes again, still rubbing his snout with a paw. Guess maybe I pulled a bit too hard. Doesn’t stop it from being any less adorable. He looks ahead, shifting his stare bit by bit to try to see ahead. “Er… guys, I think Chief is about to start speaking.”

And he does. I look ahead to Ampharos standing up straight and tall and all authority-like, like how Mr. Watchog would stand all the time back in Serene Village. Except Ampharos did it way better while still looking like your friendly adult.

“Now everyone, settle down, settle down!” His voice echoes, sounding weirdly calming. Like I said, friendly adult. And then everyone settles down. Ampharos clears his throat, a smile on his face. “I know you’re all excited about the current weather, but please do remember I still have to inform you all about what you’re in store for today-”

Sammy eagerly raises a claw. “But are we still going to have our day off?”

“Why, yes we are.”

Everyone cheers at Ampharos’ response. Me included.

Mawile steps forward, already silencing everyone just by using the gesture. Me included. You really can’t go wrong with a smart right hand Pokémon like her. “Ahem. Now, as I’m sure you’re all aware, even during joyful times like these, there might still be Pokémon in need out there. Now remember, the Chief and I trust you all to do the right thing should you be asked, we have decided that we will spend today reaching out to as many Pokémon out there as possible.”

Everyone cheers again. Me included. Ampharos and Mawile smile back at all of us.

“Now, now, everyone, we just see this as another chance to perform our duties,” Ampharos continues with a light chuckle. “That, and we want you all to make the most out of today without restricting you too much. Do remember to enjoy yourselves!”

Ampharos pauses. I already know what he’s gonna say next.

“Whatever it is you wish to do, let’s always perform our best out there!”

We all cheer again before everyone starts splitting up in groups. I spot Jirachi and Sammy starting to rush up the stairs, probably off to tinker with whatever they’re working on. They always do that.

Speaking of another pair involving a guy and his maybe-assistant (researcher/co-founder counts, right?), it’s only when I notice Ampharos and Mawile leisurely stroll past us do I realize I should be doing something as well! They’re leisurely strolling as well! And they’re working on this day off!

I look around to see that not all of us have left yet. With Ampharos and Mawile now gone through the entrance, I can yell now!

“Hey guys! Who wants to go out for a snowball fight?”

Bunnelby is the first to speak up with an unusually determined look. “I’m a ready fellow, need to put my digging ears to use somehow.”

“Haven’t joined one of those in a while. I’ll join!” Buizel adds.

“Forget that,” Archen turns away from me. “My feathers can’t stand all that snow. I’ll just stay inside with the others.”

I almost pout. So much for that. I watch as he walks off towards the hallway leading to the kitchen.

Dedenne gives me a sympathetic look. “Sorry, but I already told Swirlix I’d help her around the kitchen today. Food’s food, even on a day like this. Later, guys.”

She scurries off, just leaving me, Buizel, Bunnelby, and Indigo. He hasn’t spoken up, now that I think about it…

His head is hanging slightly low with his paws clutching himself. His fur is still damp-looking too. Now I’m the one with a sympathetic look. “Hey Indigo.”

I catch his attention. He looks up at me. “Fia? Aren’t we going outside for that… snowball thing?”

I try to reassure him with a smile. “You’re cold, right? How about you stay inside with the others?”

His expression lights up ever so slightly. “Are you sure?”

I try to reassure him some more, giving him an arm jab just in case. “Sure, I’m sure! Don’t worry, I’ll be back in a bit!” Indigo gives me another unsure look, so I take matters into my own hands and give him a quick hug. Quick enough to surprise him so I can withdraw before he can return it. “See ya!”

And as I make my way to the entrance where Buizel and Bunnelby are waiting for me, I take one more look back at Indigo. He’s still cold-looking, damp-looking, and giving me that clueless-looking surprised wide eyed look. I give him one more smile and wave goodbye.

Indigo’s POV

“Bye… Fia…”

The first thought I have is about how Fia didn’t seem to mind hugging me even if I was still a bit wet from all that snow stuff she told me about. Maybe I shouldn’t be too surprised.

Hugs are a normal thing between the two of us. Even if I don’t know as much about this world compared to some of the others, I think it’s supposed to be awkward since we “hug a lot for Pokémon who are just friends”. That’s what I was told, and even I feel that way. But I’m not complaining. Can I even complain? It makes me feel warm on the inside. Then again, maybe it’s the sleep hugs.

I only start to move after Fia disappears with the others through the doorway. What was it she said, again? Stay inside with the others?

I briefly go back to clutching myself and shivering before I remember where Archen walked off to. Dedenne and Swirlix are there too, right?

I walk off through another hallway to a large room and I see blankets. Each Pokémon sitting by the large dining table is draped in a large blanket of some sort. Dedenne scurries over to me.

“Hiya, Indigo. You feeling cold too?” She gives me a quick look up and down before I can say anything. “Say no more. Take a seat.”

And just like that, I’m guided over to a spot next to someone with a green blanket. Dedenne scurries away. I notice that under the calm-but-clever-green blanket to my left, as if meant to be fitting, sits a green-shelled Pokémon. Mac stares back at me through those circular-framed glasses, stare level.

“Hey, Indigo. You look…” Mac’s eyes narrow slightly. “... soaked. Did something happen to you last night?” He smirks. “Between you and Fia, maybe?”

I remember that smirk from all those other times he said something that was “implied”, like he said. Mac told me a lot of stuff, like that hug comment. But I guess this is another one of those things I’m not smart enough to catch onto.

“Er…” I shrug. “I guess I just had a bad morning… something to do with this snow stuff…” Mac’s brown fur looks completely dry. “But… what are you doing here?”

“Oh, me?” His stare becomes more relaxed. “Don’t get the wrong idea, it’s not like I’m that sensitive to the cold. Even if I’m a Grass type, Chespin like me are hardy types, apparently. I came here for him.”

It’s then that he leans back to get me a look at his orange-blanketed companion. And under that fiery orange a Fletchling looks back at me with a stare that’s… energetic? It’s hard to tell when he looks like he has… I think they’re called googly-eyes. But with real eyes. Actually… is he even staring at me?

I hope I never hit my head that hard. That’s what happened to him, right?

“H-Hello!” He blabbers, jerking out a wing as if to wave at me.

I almost jump at the volume, but Mac simply chuckles. He gives Flaps’ head a little pet, stroking his feathers and adjusting his blanket as he does so. “Flaps here isn’t as used to the cold. Even if he’s a Flying type who can spontaneously burst into flames at will, he’s not as durable as those delivery Pelipper out there. His time to fly will come once this weather’s over.” I hear someone mumbling something. Mac looks past Flaps’ side. “No offense, Archen.”

Archen continues grumbling some more, right before Swirlix hops our way, a tray holding cups floating above her head.

“I’m back with the warm beverages, dearies!” She smiles us a sweet smile. “Make sure to savor these Orans!”

Using what is probably telekinesis (maybe from using a TM), she levitates each glass to each of the four of us. I say a quiet “thank you” as she gives me my drink. Once the tray is empty, she makes her way towards the other side of the dining room where all the other kitchen stuff is. I think there’s something called a ‘sink’ there.

I look down at my drink’s deep blue, trying to make out what faint reflection there is of my face. I glance over at Mac to see him holding the drink in his paws, probably trying to do the same, but with some fog in his glasses. A blanket is suddenly draped over me, or rather, just thrown over me and just so happened to drape over me perfectly. It’s almost as blue as my fur. Maybe just as soft, too.

Though… I guess I’ll have to leave Fia to be the judge for that last part…

I look around me for someone to thank, when I see Dedenne nearby, giving me a brief nod before making her way to the side of the table opposite me. She has her own drink, too.

She takes a quick sip. “You feeling warm in that blanket, Indigo?”

“Hmm?” I’m about to take my own sip when I look up from my cup with a mildly surprised look. I lean my head against the part of my shoulder where some of the blanket is draped over. “Yeah… this is nice.”

Dedenne smiles at me, taking another sip. “We happen to have a lot of those sitting around. Just in case there’s anyone out there needing to take shelter here.” Another sip. “Like us.”

I finally take a sip of the warm Oran. I consume it as I let the refreshing factor consume me, rejuvenating every fiber of my being back to life as it always does. It brings a sort of soothing warmth that courses all around inside me, almost as if to go along with the blanket that’s warming up everything else. Even after my little sip, I don’t want to let go of the warm surface of the goblet-like cup in my paws.

I really could’ve used this kind of warmth earlier…

“So…” I speak up towards Dedenne, taking a second to clear my throat of all the drink steam I drank. Is that what that’s called? “... we have more of these blankets, right?”

“Yep. It’s just that more were made for us just because.”

More… were made? “Who… made these, again?”

“Vhy, I did!”

I start to wonder why I didn’t see his large blue claw lumbering around near the far end of the kitchen. He… hovers his way over to us (that’s what Clawitzer do to move around, right?), his accent evident from his continued amused guffaws. He gives us all a look through his own little curcular-framed spectacles.

“I take it you’re all enjoying zhe fabrics I concocted myself?” He… smiles?

Mac smiles back. “We are, thank you Ludwig.”

I hesitate. “You made all these?”

“And more!” He guffaws some more. “I hope you haven’t forgotten I’m more zhan just your typical doctor!”

“Heh…” I look over to see Archen breathing out a smile, drink in wing. “I’ll give you that, doc. Your overbearing enthusiasm in learning about… whatever all those books in your room are about can make you a weirdo at times, but you’re a good ‘Mon. These are good blankets.”

Ludwig nods, as if doing a little bow of some sort. “Vhy zhank you, my feathered friend.”

I blink. That was supposed to be a compliment?

“Hey, Ludwig!” I hear Dedenne’s voice to see that she’s not on her seat anymore. “We need some help with the tea back here!”

He hears this and hurries back to the back of the room. I raise an eyebrow. “They’re… still working hard on a day like this?”

“I think it’s called a ‘work ethic’.” Mac sips. “Or maybe festive weather times like this remind them about what they’re thankful for in the Expedition Society. I’d guess Swirlix just enjoys performing her usual kitchen duties, Ludwig is thankful for this chance to express his jack-of-all-trades knowledge, and Dedenne…” He makes that smirk again. “... maybe the Chief’s selfless act inspired her. Though if you ask me, the fact that Ampharos is going out doing that exploring with Mawile might be more than that, if you know what I mean.”

I find myself tilting my head. “I… don’t know what you mean.”

Mac shakes his head. “Never mind.” Mac takes a second to look around himself. I realize that he’s just doing that to take a look at Archen as well. “What are you guys thankful for?”

Archen gives him a look. “Why don’t you go first?”

“Easy. Flaps.” Mac continues stroking Flaps on the head. “Your turn.”

Archen takes a long look into his drink before answering. “The lingering hope that one day I’ll finally be able to fly.” He picks up his cup and slams it onto the table as if to emphasize something, giving us all a triumphant smiling glare. “And only then will I finally be able to outdo your bird friend. You have no idea how humiliating it is to have studied everything from flying to aerial combat only to learn that this bird brain is already infinitely better at it without being the wiser!” He clears his throat. “No offense.”

I think he’s talking about Flaps.

“Don’t worry, I’m sure he didn’t hear you.” Mac glances next to him to see the Fletchling still blankly staring at… well, it’s hard to tell what he’s staring at.

And then Mac and Archen clink their drinks. Then they face me.

“So Indigo…” Mac pushes his glasses up. “... what are you thankful for?”

I hesitate, glancing back at my nervous reflection in my drink as if it’s a good way for me to stall. If only it was.

“You don’t have to be nervous,” Mac urges me. “We’re all buddies here. Buddies in blankets. Blanket buddies.”

“Well…” My paw reaches for the back of my head. “My answer’s pretty obvious, isn’t it?”

Mac chuckles. “And is that a bad thing?”

“I…” I hesitate and think over Mac’s words for a second. Should I really be this nervous about my honest feelings? Mac agreed with me when I asked if it was obvious, so…

I take a long sip of my Oran Berry juice, using its warmth to fuel me in my words. “I’m thankful for the friend that welcomed me like no other… for better or for worse.” She had… quite the first impression. “I’m thankful for the friend who let me stick by her side just as she’s stuck to mine… sometimes literally.” We don’t talk about that incident. “I’m thankful for the friend who gave me the driving force to strive for something despite how lost I feel sometimes… be it directly or indirectly.” I take a deep breath, feeling a sort of emotional swelling inside me. “There, I said it.”

By the time I finish, everyone in the room has their eyes on me. Even the three at the back stopped what they’re doing so they could… admire me? Or are they amused?

Their quiet staring goes on to the point where I feel like there’s some applause waiting for me somewhere. But there is no applause. I find myself able to tear my own stare away to sip what’s left of my drink.

Mac speaks up with a smirk. “You still didn’t say her name.”

I choke.

Fia’s POV

I cough a whole buncha snow out. Blegh.

“Hey, no fair!” I yell, using my vines to gather what snow I dropped. “You’re not allowed to throw something at me while I’m taunting you!”

“I have to take every shot I can!” Buizel replies from all the way across me. “When it comes to hunting outlaws, the best times to catch them off guard are when they’re monologuing-”

I lurch my vine forward. The snowball hits his face. Yes! “Advice noted!”

Buizel laughs back as he wipes his face clean. “Okay, okay, you got me fair and square. Now where’s Bunnelby-”

The pile of snow in front of us starts to stir violently, like it’s going to explode or something. I try to brace for impact, but it erupts, sending a bunch of the stuff raining down on me and Buizel.

I quickly shake it all off before it can bury me. Now Buizel’s the one coughing it out. “You know what… maybe I should just stop talking.”

And right where the weird lump of snow used to be sits a laughing Bunnelby, giving a boisterous buck toothed grin. Reminds me of Mr. Watchog with that ‘full of himself’ look. “Like Buizel said. Take that monologuing and use it as an opportunity for a surprise attack-”

We pelt more snowballs at him. Like he said, use it as an opportunity for a surprise attack.

And then we continue this exchange some more. Good thing it snowed a lot in this area right in front of where the Society Headquarters is. We aren’t gonna be running out of ammo anytime soon. More snow, more throwing! I’m even trying to find out new ways to throw it!

I form four snowballs. One for each hand, and one for each vine. Sure I can try a spreadh shot type of thing to try to hit as many things as possible, it’ll be so cool if I hit someone with four snowballs at once! Buizel looks busy aiming at Bunnelby, let’s try this out!

Snowballs at the ready, I hurl my barrage forward.

“Delivery for Buizel of the Expedition Socie- agh!”

Ha, I even interrupted him while he was speaking! Wait, what did he just say?

Apparently someone decided to swoop in and take all of those hits. Accidentally.

“Oh!” I flinch sheepishly. “Sorry, Mr. Pelipper.”

He gives me a glare and shakes of all the snow on that large beak of his. That large bill beak thing that takes up way too much of his body. I still feel like that’s weird.

“Anyways, as I was saying, delivery for Buizel of the Expedition Society…” Pelipper grumbles, taking an envelope out of his bag.

Buizel takes it with a look of wide-eyed surprise. A look like that is enough to get me and Bunnelby to creep on over to his shoulder to try to get a peek. All I see is the sender being a Braixen before-

“It’s from that girlfriend of yours!” Bunnelby yells, making giddy footprints in the snow.

Buizel lowers his head a bit, as if embarrassed, and hushes Bunnelby. “Don’t act too surprised. She always sends a letter to me at this time of year.”

I start getting even more curious. “So that Braixen at the Sand Continent is actually-”

“You didn’t know?” Bunnelby sounds just as giddy as I am. “They’ve actually been going at it for a really long time now, even started out while the miss was still a Fennekin!”

I see that Buizel can’t help but smile at us as well. “I have to admit how lucky I am for something this long distance still working this well. Though lately I’ve been trying to actually see her in person on days where I’m not just visiting the Sand Continent for work reasons.” His gaze suddenly trails off, looking back at the letter almost wistfully. “I still wish she could be here so I could show her around the winter.”

Bunnelby gives him a sympathetic look. “Work around the desert again?”

Buizel sighs, putting a paw on the part of the envelope where it should be opened. “Most probably. Well, at least I can count on my own letter reaching her as well around this time.” He looks over at Pelipper, who I think is grooming his wings with that large beak. “My letter did push through, right?” Pelipper nods.

I take this as my chance to speak up. “Hey, so about letters, are there any more coming to Lively Town from say… Serene Village?” I ask as smooth as possible.

Pelipper stares off for a bit, probably in thought, before saying, “If there’s any you’re expecting, they should reach here later.” And then he flies off.

“How weird is it that the letter a whole continent away makes it here than the ones just a few mystery dungeons away from here?” Bunnelby remarks. He brings up a good point.

“Very,” Buizel replies. “Though I won’t complain. They usually deliver all these letters mostly on time. Speaking of…” He starts to look back down on the envelope.

“Hey, wait…” I speak up before he can walk away. “... so do you think I’ll actually be getting Serene Village letters later today?”

Buizel and Bunnelby both look like they’re about to shrug. “Buizel’s right. Those Pelipper fellows don’t miss a beat when it comes to their deliveries. If I had to take a guess, maybe they’ll arrive this evening. Mac’s already made a name for himself delivering those late Serene Village letters to you, right?”

“Yeah.” I suddenly recall all the times he passed by to give us those. It was always him, too… that’s also weird.

“Well, if you two don’t mind, I’ll just need a moment…” Buizel says, still not looking up from his envelope as he walks away. Probably towards that Cafe Connection.

There Buizel goes, still looking down at the envelope in his paws as he walks away and out of earshot. Bunnelby watches him, looking amused. “Knowing him, he’ll spend far more than a moment reading over that.”

I also find myself with an amused look as I continue watching Buizel walk, wondering if he even knows where he’s going. He’s already that focused in staring at it and I don’t even think he’s opened it!

I giggle. “So Bunnelby, about that Braixen, has she really not experienced winter here?”

“That she hasn’t. I dunno what the weather’s like on that Sand Continent now, but from what I heard from Buizel he says she’s usually busy at this period.” He shrugs. “Maybe they don’t even have snow back there.”

“Don’t even have snow, huh…” I start thinking for a second. “You think maybe one day Buizel will be able to bring her over here?”

“If you ask me he’ll have more luck bringing the snow over to her. I mean really, the guy can swim all the way there in just a few hours. But maybe not in this weather, sadly.”

“Bringing the snow…” It hits me. I’m back to scooping up snow from the piles around us, but this time I’m not making snowballs. I’m making something bigger. I take a good long hard look at what I’m making just to be sure I’m doing it right.

Bunnelby looks down at me with an odd look. “What’s that you’re doing, Fia?”

“Just doing a ‘lil something you gave me an idea for…” And with that, finishing touches finished! “Not so bad if I say so myself…” I gently pick the whole thing up with my hands and make my way back to where the Headquarters open doorway is. I look back at Bunnelby and wave at him with a vine. “Thanks for the idea!”

He simply looks back at me with a confused stare. “You’re… welcome?”

Indigo’s POV

“... and vhen zhe patient woke up, his skeleton vas missing, and zhe doctor vas never heard from again!”

“Ha… ha…” I try to pretend I understand Ludwig’s sense of humour, but I don’t think I’m doing a very good job of hiding it. I’m pretty sure I’m not alone in this from how Mac’s awkwardly staring as Ludwig continues… cackling?

“Doc, you’ve told us this story every winter, and I have to ask ya…” Archen slams his cup on the table. “... tell me… this story isn’t true, ain’t it? Or is this just another caper from those books?”

Ludwig’s laughter slowly fades, in its place, what looks like a smirk as he pushes up his glasses with his small claw. “Vhat do you think?”

Archen raises an eyebrow. “If this story is true, you know what this means for your job, right?”

It’s then that Ludwig breaks into loud guffaws again. “Don’t you worry. Zhe Chief has already heard zhis story during our tea sessions.” He sips his tea. “Zhis is just a favorite tale of mine I’ve conjured back home in zhe Mist Continent. Zhe local Palossand love it.”

The local what?

“Indigo-o-o-o-o!”

The voice reaches my ears and I turn around on my seat, holding onto my blanket to make sure it doesn’t slip off my shoulders. She runs over to me holding a pile of… what is that?

There’s a small pile of that snow stuff in her hands, and on that pile are two little snow figures. “Look what I made, Indigo!”

She hops up onto the stool next to me and gently lays her creation down on the table. Fia gives me that excited-looking stare as if she’s waiting for me to marvel at it as well.

I lean closer to Fia’s side to take that marvel attempt. Just like I observed, smaller lumps of snow sit on a slighty larger lump that’s probably meant to serve as a foundation. It’s only now that I get a closer look do I see that there are two little sculpted heads on top of the small… snow lump bodies? There’s no mistaking it from all the little details, one of them has a forward facing head with a pointed nose, and the other one has a snout with ears and some dangling aura tendril things I recognize.

“You like it, Indigo?” I look away from the two little snow figures to see her excited stare aimed right at me. She points right back at the snow. “You saw it, right? It’s us!”

I muster a smile. Thoughts aside about how this snow me is what could’ve been had I not been dug out this morning, it’s actually growing on me.“Yeah, I know… it looks cute.”

She giggles. “It’s us, but snow! Just thought I’d bring it over to you so I can show you more of this snow stuff.”

Even I can’t help but chuckle at just seeing myself but much smaller. I guess the snow part counts too. Fia even went out of her way to sketch little eyes to make it so my snow face doesn’t look… dead. It’s the small things that count. I give it a little soft poke on my little soft face. “It’s nice.” It really is soft. A bit cold, but mostly soft. Soft enough to… leave a dent after I touch it? The dent’s not leaving. “Is it uh… really this fragile?”

“Oh yeah, don’t mind that!” She laughs, probably noticing my reaction. “Snow is snow!” Then, to my subtle dismay, she hops off her stool and gives me one more look. “Enjoy that! Maybe I’ll bring some more! Now if you excuse me, I have to go to Cafe Connection to spy on Buizel! See ya!”

I wave back at her as she leaves through the door, and after that, it’s just me alone with this snow me that’s not alone.

“You’ve been looking at that for a while now.”

And it’s only after I hear Mac’s voice do I realize that I’m not alone. Not alone and actually under the entertained-looking eyes of everyone else in the room. Still, I’m not used to this type of attention and remember that my blanket is still with me. I clutch it tighter, wrapping it around me like a cocoon.

“Oh, darn.” I look down to see Dedenne with a folded blanket on her head, standing right next to where Fia was sitting. “She left already?”

“That she did, dearie.” Turns out Swirlix was by Archen’s side the whole time, levitating a kettle to refill his drink. She laughs a genuine little laugh. “Such a sweetie she is, stopping by here.”

Mac chuckles, giving me a look. “What do you think, Indigo? Think Fia’s a sweetie like Swirlix said?”

“E-Er…” I take a quick glance at snow Fia, instinctively wondering if she can actually hear me through there. A dumb thought, but I still glance regardless. “Well, yeah…”

“Come on, Indigo, I didn’t hear that…”

“Lay off him, Mac,” Archen speaks up. “Let the shy kid stare at his snow girl a bit more.”

Y-Yeah… wait, what?

Swirlix hops on over to me and gives me a smile, probably noticing my reaction. “You don’t have to feel nervous, Indigo. It’s like with food, if left out too long, it gets cold like soggy leftovers. You might as well relish them while they’re fresh.”

I take a second to think about her metaphor. “So you’re saying I should… eat them?”

“That’s right, Indigo,” Mac speaks up, giving me a smirk. “She means to eat that little Fia.”

Y-Ye-What?!

“Come on, guys,” Dedenne scurries over to my side. “I’m sure Indigo came over here to feel comfortable.”

“You’d think Cafe Connection would be the ideal place for that…” Archen gives her a look. “Why do we do this every time of year again?”

Dedenne gives him a clever, slightly sarcastic look back. “It’s worth a shot, Archen. Maybe some other Pokémon will come over for my charm.” She strikes a little pose as she says that last word. The whole pose thing reminds me of someone else, I think.

“Greetings, everyone! I heard the word charm! Which just so happens to coincide with our newest invention!”

I recognize that tone of announcement. Imposing like the Chief’s, but with more of a snarky and insistently-existent tone. At least, I think that’s what it means.

From the doors levitates proud-faced Jirachi, his bright blue-eyed Sandslash assistant eagerly trotting behind him.

Dedenne is the first to greet him, accepting the kettle from Swirlix as she does so. “Oh, hey Jirachi. What’s that you’ve got floating with you?”

“Our newest invention!” Sammy points at the small green thing hovering next to them as if she’s going to go ‘Ta-da!’ “Ta-da! Just in time for the weather and everything! Jirachi said it’s called a missile, though!”

“Ahem! It’s actually called a mistletoe, and it’s my first take on a drone!” He levitates a tablet-like device out of his bag and starts pressing on its screen. The floating red-spotted leafed thing swerves in front of him, floating fine as if it has a mind of its own like a Magnemite. “Made to use the same electromagnetic forces that keeps Pokémon like Magnemite afloat!” Oh.

Swirlix hops forward to stare up at the little thing, looking confused the more she observes it. “Is it edible?”

Jirachi scoffs. “I thought making the food was your job, Swirlix. Any sort of organic matter tampered with or adjusted by us is considered inedible. Need I remind you of what happened when Fia ate one of the leaves I fireproofed?” I feel a pang of guilt strike me. We… also don’t talk about that incident. “I thought I covered this in the Expedition Gadget instruction manual.”

Dedenne takes her own scoff as she slowly pours some more Oran Berry juice for Flaps, struggling a bit with the kettle. “We’re not all avid readers here.”

Archen smirks. “Besides, if we wanted to read, Ludwig’s room has all the interesting reads.” I look over to see Ludwig with a pleased look by the back of the room.

“Cheers to that,” Mac speaks up, reaching out to Archen so they can clink their cups. He then takes a sip taking a second to look into his drink. “Oh, boy. Dedenne, I’ll have some more after you’re done with Flaps.”

“I gotcha, I gotcha… this thing’s heavy though, so could you just lean closer with your cup?”

“Anyways!” I bring my eyes back to Jirachi. Maybe I shouldn’t have looked away because he looks a bit annoyed. “Speaking of Magnemite, should my mistletoe drone home in onto a certain duo of Pokémon, it’ll emit an urgent signal! You’ll know it when you hear it and when it shines some ambient mood light onto the both of you! And this signal, if left on long enough, will send a message to wherever the Police Headquarters are so Officer Magnezone can come and arrest you!”

I hesitate a bit, open mouthed, wondering why he sounded so excited to say something like that, especially when Sammy is just excitedly nodding along beside him like a lost persuader. Then I see everyone else’s shocked reactions and know that I’m not alone.

“Why would you build something that does that?!” Archen screeches. I think that sums it up pretty well.

Jirachi just looks more amused with that glinting smirk. “Let me finish. You can turn off said signal by engaging in a specific act! Which is why I’ve come here to test it!”

“Wait, wait, I have a question.” I look over to my left to see Mac speaking up, slightly leaning out of his seat to let Dedenne pour some drink into his cup. “If you need a duo of Pokémon to test out your mistletoe, then why don’t you test it on yourselves?”

Jirachi and Sammy both look dumbfounded for a second before glancing at each other and breaking into laughter. And they both start shaking their heads with a unison that’s uncanny. “Listen, she’s my perky assistant, but let’s just leave it at that.”

I notice Mac make that smirk as I hear him whisper to himself. “I bet she can be the perky assistant for something else if he just lets her.” And then comes the spotlight with a shade that makes the rest of the room seem dark in comparison. Mac looks up, expression drained. “Oh no.”

I immediately catch what that light means and frantically try to scooch my seat away, blanket and all. It’s then that I realize that the weirdly-coloured light is nowhere near me, like it’s gone out of its way to shape itself in such a way that covers only Mac and-

“You can’t be serious…” Dedenne makes an attempt to look up, struggling with the kettle in her paws. And then the floating thing starts making a sort of pulsing ringing noise, probably to show that it is serious. “Can’t I just walk out of this?”

Jirachi talks back with the most devilishly amused look on his face. “Still won’t stop the alarm!” Sammy looks like she’s having the time of her life, with that look of anticipation as if she’s waiting for something to happen.

The ringing grows louder, sounding more mechanical. I continue hugging my blanket, wondering whether or not this sound actually has the effects of a Metal Sound. It definitely sounds like one.

Dedenne flinches, probably wishing her paws aren’t full right now. “Okay, fine, then what do we have to do to turn this thing off?”

And then Jirachi smirks a smirk with a look of subtle mischief that rivals Mac’s. Fia’s, even. “Kiss.”

Now everyone else looks even more shocked. I’m grateful that I’m not the one subject under the light, but still, I can’t help but feel sorry for Mac and Dedenne with how frantically embarrassed they look.

“Time’s ticking.” Jirachi taunts.

Mac glances at his cup. “Do, um, indirect ones count?” I start to feel even more sorry as I hear his voice waver for once.

“Nope!”

Mac and Dedenne keep panicking, looking for another loophole, maybe. Frantically looking at everything the light’s covering except each other. All the while, the rest of us watch silently, probably wanting to help but can’t. The sound grows louder and I clutch my drink tighter.

“Okay, okay, fine…” Jirachi lets out a bored sigh, pressing some more on his Expedition Gadget’s screen. “Cheek kisses count… but who’s going to make that first move?” All the while Sammy continues excitedly clapping the tips of her claws together while I’m at the verge of covering my ears.

Mac speaks up, bearing an expression full of mustered resolve. “I’ll do it.” And just like that he quickly leans down and nabs her right on the cheek pouch at a speed that makes us all breath out shocked gasps. Even Dedenne squeaks in such a way that forces Mac to withdraw when the kissed cheek pouch emits a bit of jolting static.

Mac affixes himself to his seat, looking back at his drink. “Well, that was something…” From the look on his face, I don’t know if he’s surprised that he just did what he did or if it’s just from the jolt.

Dedenne has her own flustered look, still struggling to hold the kettle, before straightening herself to glare at Jirachi. “There. You happy?”

Jirachi presses on his Expedition Gadget’s screen for a bit before the mistletoe’s beeping stops. He then looks over at Dedenne and Mac with an unamused look. “Would’ve preferred it if you both decided to go for the cheek dive at the same time leading to you know what, but it’ll do.”

“Okay, so what was the point of all that?!” Archen finally yells.

Jirachi smirks. “My entertainment.”

Sammy smirks harder. “Our entertainment!”

“Entertainment that’ll last us the whole winter!” Jirachi continues. “I’m gonna be piloting this thing around Headquarters to see what moments I can fish up. Hence why all your windows are open!”

Wait, what?! Now I find myself also glaring at Jirachi at the realization alongside everyone else.

“Jirachi, you buffoon!” Archen screeches again. “It snowed in our room!”

Dedenne sounds even angrier than before. “An entire pile formed in our room!” Swirlix aggressively nods alongside her. “Swirlix could’ve been buried alive!”

“Y-Yeah!” is all I’m able to muster in my attempt to suddenly raise my voice.

“Okay, okay, fine…” Jirachi sighs. “We’ll just clean all your rooms to make up for it.”

“Ahem, ahem…” Ludwig hovers forward. “Vould actually closing zhe vindows be a bit much?”

“Hmm, yeah. Recent protocol calls that window closing only happens in the event of a Headquarters lockdown. Now if you excuse me, now that I’ve tested my bad boy out, I no longer have a need to be here until dinner arrives! Bye all!” Jirachi levitates out the door, Sammy cheerfully following him as if she has no idea what’s to come. Or maybe she does. I mean, if she’s working with Jirachi, she must be smart, right?

“Well, ahem, that got heated up…” Mac clears his throat, his gaze fixated on nothing as he takes a loud sip from his drink and pets Flaps with his other paw. Flaps lets out a pleased bird purr before it bubbles away as he sinks his beak into his cup. “So heated up, in fact, that your little snow people have started melting.”

Little snow people? It takes me a second to realize he’s talking to me. It takes me another second to realize what he means.

I quickly look to my pile to see that it’s a much smaller pile. Little snow me and little snow Fia look slipper than ever, starting to sink into the foundation as if it’s absorbing them. Even the huge foundation lump looks like it’s starting to morph into the little puddle that’s forming on the table.

I’m just left to watch as the little dent I put in my little snow figure continues melting into the sad lump. For some reason, it suddenly feels all the more personal seeing what figure of mine is left disappear into a nameless lump. And then I see the exact same thing happen to snow Fia as well. Down we go, just disappearing into the same melting lump, becoming one with the lump taken by the heat. And just like that we both disappear into the puddle and-

I suddenly flinch when a flash of the lightest blue strikes the morphing pile and stops its process in place. When the Ice Beam stops, all that’s left of the lump is a giant piece of ice with a faint trace of mist surrounding it, a similar trace of mist coming out of Ludwig’s large claw.

“Vell, zhat’s zhat!” Ludwig pushes his glasses up and casts me a look. “I vas vondering vhen you’d stop staring and actually do somezhing. Vould you razher I dispose of zhis elsevhere?”

I take one more look at the ‘zhis’ in question. Now it’s just a snow lump encased in clear ice, all sentimentality and identity it had before now invisible. I hesitantly nod.

Even still, as Ludwig carries the lump of ice away towards somewhere at the back of the room, I still continue staring at it and can’t help but feel disheartened. Wherever he’s carrying it off to, Swirlix and Dedenne follow him to help him with it.

“You seemed to really like that snow.”

I finally snap back to my senses to see Mac taking a long drink from his filled drink, looking like he’s recovered from being shaken before.

“Ever saw snow like that melt before?” He gives me a stare and adjusts his glasses.

“Er… no.” His sip reminds me that I have my own sipping to do. I clutch my blanket and do just that.

Mac nods slowly, looking deep in thought for a second. “I was thinking that was the case. First time experiencing snow, right?”

I nod.

“First snow, first winter. All checks in.” He pauses. “I really should’ve asked this earlier, but are you enjoying your winter so far?”

Enjoying? “Well, yeah, sure.”

“‘Well, yeah, sure’,” Mac reiterates my response as if he’s thoroughly examining it. “I get it. Special times like these call for some special measures. Sometimes things don’t work out, sometimes they do, but sometimes it’s the most unpredictable things that make special days even more…” I notice his stare trail off for a second as he smiles at nothing in particular. Not even a smirk, just a genuine smile. “... well, for lack of a better word, let’s go with special again.” He reaches for his drink to take a sip, only to stop short when he puts it back on the table, probably because it’s empty. He takes a long hard stare at his cup. “Hmm.”

Unpredictable? I guess the whole day’s been unpredictable. I didn’t expect to spend the whole day here drinking warm Oran Berry juice. I expected to go exploring, and because I expected to go exploring, I almost forget my bag of items is still with me.

Maybe I should’ve expected it right from the get go. “I… woke up buried in a pile of snow. Does that count?”

Mac looks like he just snapped out of a deep thought trance, with that smile and everything too. He clears his throat for a second before giving me a wide-eyed look. “So that was the snow thing that left you soaked. You’re really unlucky compared to the rest of us. Whether or not it counts, well, I think it comes down to what you take it for. Maybe it’s a blessing in disguise.”

I hesitate, processing his words, waiting for that smirk indicating there’s something additional I’m supposed to be missing. Mac doesn’t smirk. He just goes back to staring at his drink and smiles.

I speak up. “So… what do you mean by that?”

Mac chuckles. “Did you expect Fia to come by here with snow figures of you two?”

“No…”

He pauses, stare still fixed on his drink. “She hasn’t come back in a while. Do you wish she would?”

“W-Well…” I look around for a second. I try to make myself sound more certain. “... of course.”

“Tell you what, Indigo…” Mac pauses again, slowly blinking. “Sure, opportunities are opportunities, but sometimes you just have to make that first move. Sometimes you get to steel yourself for when that happens. Sometimes you don’t. And if something else happens, maybe it’s just another step to the grand payoff that awaits you in the end…”

“Grand… payoff…” I try to sound like I still get what he’s saying and why he’s saying it.

And then his face flops onto the table with a crash, knocking over his empty cup in the process. The clanging noise that happens leaves me, Archen, and Flaps wide-eyed and silent. The latter especially, making panicked chirps as he frantically pecks at Mac’s still and solid shell.

“W-W-Wait…” I blink, and then blink again. “... what happened, exactly?”

“Eh…” Archen shrugs off his shocked look. “It’s probably the electricity from before. That and something else, I’d imagine.” I think I catch a hint of a smirk. “Probably tired. You’ll realize it swoon- I mean, soon.”

I take one more look at his unconscious figure and gulp. “Do you think we should… call Ludwig?”

“Hmm, nah.” Archen takes a quick sip. “Let’s wait it out. If I were you, I’d continue thinking about what he was just talking about. You may be able to apply it somewhere.”

“Like… what?”

Archen shrugs. “That’s all up to you. Plan it out or just throw caution to the wind. Let it take you across the sea and see where it goes from there.”

I hesitate. “Okay… I guess I get it…”

“Then tell me, Indigo. Any plans on your mind? Any Pokémon involved?”

“Er… well…” I clear my throat, taking a second to sip.

Fia’s POV

Thank Arceus the Lapras Travel Liner still had a Sharpedo we could ride.

Dinner story time! Long story short, even in cold weather like this, Buizel still decided to swim all the way to the Sand Continent to give his girl a visit. They had a good time at the cafe, Bunnelby and I followed him for a good time, and-

“So by ‘good time’, do you mean-”

Buizel immediately puts his food back on his plate to cover Mac’s mouth with a paw. Out of everyone here at this dinner table, Mac’s the one to interrupt, and I don’t even know what he’s talking about.

“Erm, Fia, you may proceed…” Ampharos says across the table with a mouthful of food, giving me that eager stare to continue. “I’m still quite curious as to how you got back here right as we did…” I notice Mawile glance him an amused glance.

“Well, anyways!” I continue and tell him about how we rode Buizel back home.

Buizel shivers a bit, clutching his orange blanket and making another quick stare at Mac. “... and, here we are. I’d say we made the most out of our first day of winter. How about you two, Chief?”

Ampharos’ eyes light up in that giddy way as he swallows. “Well…”

And that’s where I let him ramble and take a look at everyone else who’s listening. We’re all just here eating dinner and having a good time and telling stories about the exciting stuff we did. Everyone’s listening in and looking enthralled while listening in, except for a certain someone.

I glance over to the seat next to me to see him still silently eating his food. Even when I was talking all about the good time I had at the Sand Continent’s Cafe Connection, Mac looked more entertained than he was. He doesn’t even have anything left in his cup, so what’s there to stare at?

I give him a nudge. “Indigo?”

He just glances at me for a second, and I can’t even tell what thing he’s feeling for that brief second, before he goes back to cup staring. What did he do all day that led him to suddenly be like this?

Do I just continue staring at him and hope he suddenly starts staring back at me again? Or do I just leave him be because he needs some more space?

I just continue wanting to know what happened but Indigo is too busy not being enthralled and everyone else is too busy being enthralled. Now I’m the one feeling off compared to everyone else.

After Ampharos finishes his story about how he and Mawile helped some Chingling or something, everyone else goes on about what they did while the rest of us continue eating dinner. It’s only after Jirachi goes on about his new invention thing do we all get to go to bed. And all the while, Indigo’s still just quiet.

Even when we’re both walking back to our room I’m still thinking about whether or not I should try to poke him. Is he mad at me? Well, he’s opening the door for me, or is he just being polite?

Arceus… now I feel like I’m turning into him! I’m not even speaking up or anything!

Dark room, moonlight, surprisingly clean. Was it always this clean?

Come on, Fia, speak up!

We’re already setting our bags aside. This is the part where we just say our good night greetings and fall asleep, but of course I still want to speak. Plenty of words just bubbling inside me, like one concealed deep down is at the verge of breaking out-

“Dagnabbit!” I suddenly blurt out, even finding myself surprised. I didn’t even know a word like that was deep down there somewhere! But now that I’ve also surprised Indigo and caught his attention for real, I’ve got more suppressed words for him! “Indigo!” I start shaking him by the shoulders. “Snap out of whatever the heck you’re stuck in!”

He just looks even more surprised, meaning I just have to shake him some more! “W-Wha?”

“Finally, a response!” A smile forms on my face as I finally let him go.

He staggers a bit, putting a paw to his head before he straightens himself. “What… what was that all about?”

“You and your sudden mood, silly!” I pout at him. “I come back here all the way from another continent and you haven’t even looked at me properly until now!” I slow down for a second. “Did something happen to you while I was gone?”

His ears slowly drop. “Well… the guys have been talking about some stuff… and I just have a lot on my mind now…”

I try to ease up on my tone. “What kind of stuff?”

“About plans and stuff…” He looks away for a bit, sheepish tone returning. “Look, I just… really wished you’d come back sooner so you could tell me more about that… snow stuff.”

I sigh, a bit exasperated, but if anything, I’m just glad he told me something. I try to smile him a warm smile. “Well, tomorrow, I promise I’ll stick by your side so we can spend the snow day together, okay? Would that make you feel better?”

He slowly nods, his stare quivering like he’s on the verge of tears. Now I feel like Pops with how I I’m babying him around…

I briefly giggle at the thought, giving Indigo’s paws a reassuring grip. Even if I got a bit peeved at him earlier, he’s still my best friend, and I need to make sure he knows that. At the end of the day, even if it’s me yelling at him or him yelling at me, I know we’re just worried for each other.

“Okay!” Now that I think about it, I hope he can see how much I’m smiling despite how dark it is. “First things first, I need to make sure it doesn’t snow on you again!” I quickly make my way near the window where his bed is and pull both it and my bed closer to the center of the room. “That should do it!” I pause, suddenly noticing Indigo’s widened stare and something else. “Wait… what’s that ringing noise?”

Indigo’s POV

And just when I thought I was off the hook, this happens.

Floating right by our window, the ringing grows louder. Fia looks just as shocked as I am to see it, but I think only I actually know what it’s doing here.

“Indigo?” She gives me a concerned tap on the shoulder. “Isn’t that that missile thing Jirachi talked about at dinner?”

I hesitantly nod, already coming to terms with what’s about to happen. The ringing noise grows louder.

“It’s supposed to make that noise, right? I wasn’t listening to what Jirachi said at dinner! What do we do to turn it off?!”

It’s only now in the darkness do I realize that the mistletoe is shining it’s spotlight on just the two of us, as if the space of us in this lone room wasn’t enough. There’s no going back now. “We… we have to kiss.” I feel my face flush.

“W-W-What?! You’re crazy!” I can already sense how flustered she is. I don’t blame her. I really, really don’t.

I try to stare her right in the eye to show how not crazy I am. “Just… trust me on this, okay?”

She grows silent and nods.

I take a deep breath as the ringing grows louder.

“Plan it out or just throw caution to the wind. Let it take you across the sea and see where it goes from there.”

“Sure, opportunities are opportunities, but sometimes you just have to make that first move. Sometimes you get to steel yourself for when that happens. Sometimes you don’t. And if something else happens, maybe it’s just another step to the grand payoff that awaits you in the end…”

“Okay, okay, fine… Cheek kisses count…”

Cheek kisses count.

The very thought ingrains itself in my head as I proceed to do what I do next. Shakily at first, I gently take Fia’s head in my paws, to her visible confusion but with that straight stare of anticipation. I’m tempted to take another breath to prepare myself, but quickly toss that thought aside so I don’t stall any further. And with that, I gently tilt her head at the slightest angle and bring my face forward. Right before I make contact near a spot where my paw is, I close my eyes and brace for impact. Not because I expect it to be painful, but so me staring at her that close doesn’t make things any more-

There it is. That one second moment ingrains itself into my mind like a painting for the senses. It ends as quick as it happens, but I still find myself dwelling over that very moment. I open my eyes as I withdraw and feel the rush come to me.

The magic of that split second moment remains in my mind and in my stare. My lips. Her cheek. Just even imagining those two in the same sentence is making me feel like some idealistic fool, but yet, that very fantasy just happened. As friends, we’ve been close, both in the figurative sense and the literal sense, but never like that. A feeling of bliss washes over me at how soft that sensation was. I can’t stop myself from smiling, and Fia smiling back at me gives me the green light I need to know I’m in the clear to enjoy this moment… right?

Wait, wait, no, no, what am I thinking? I got so caught up in the moment that I missed the exact second the mistletoe turned off and whizzed away. What am I doing, fantasizing this one-time thing we were forced to do as if it’s the beginning of something-

“Indigo.” Fia gives my paws a reassuring grip. My eyes weren’t fooling me. Even in the dark of the night, she’s still smiling that warm smile. “It’s okay.”

Before I can say anything, she pulls me close and embraces me in a hug, holding me as tight as always, and withdraws, smiling at me with our faces as close as ever. I try to blink at the sudden awkwardness of our intimacy, but before I can do that, she tilts her head and gives me a little peck on the cheek.

The very flustered sensation that happened a few seconds ago comes back to me in a whole new light. The bliss, the flush, it all comes back. I quiver for a bit, my heart starts to race. It hits me just how much I’m on the receiving side. With the first move I made, I did it because I wanted to, but in the context of the situation, I did it because I had to. But here, Fia’s just doing it because she wants to…

I have every right mind to ask why, to both myself and Fia, but instead, here I stand utterly whisked away in this moment and what my emotions weaved it out to be.

It’s then that the sound of Fia’s giggle snaps me back to reality, standing here in front of her in the moonlight of our window. Our window.

In the midst of my swooning self, the thought of why comes back to me. “Fia… the mistletoe isn’t even there… so…”

She gives me a playful punch to the arm. “You don’t need to ask why. I…” Her gaze trails off as she rubs her cheek, a sheepish smile on her face. “I feel the same way, actually…” She giggles that excited giggle again. “I know you do too, silly. I mean, you were just standing there with that dumb smiling look on your face just now! And your tail still hasn’t stopped wagging!”

My… my what?

I take a look behind me to see the wagging blur in question. It really is wagging, not even like in a slow back and forth fashion, but in such a way that makes it look like a manifestation of the excited part of my emotions right now. I widen my eyes. “I’m… pretty sure that never happened before… Does that mean something?”

“Well, does it mean that I’ve helped make your first snow day a good one?”

I chuckle, trying to snark back at her. “Didn’t… I make that first move?”

“Shut up.” She punches my arm, and then punches it some more. She then looks up at me, smiling… sweetly. “Maybe there are things about friends that never change like what Buizel said… then again, we aren’t exactly just friends anymore, are we?”

The realization sinks in. “We… are?”

“Of course we are!” She smirks. “I mean, do you want me to reject you just like that?”

“W-Wait, no! I mean uh…” I hesitate, at a loss of what to say. “... please don’t do that?”

Fia giggles again. “You know what, we should get some rest before we start thinking this whole thing is a dream.” She looks up at me. “This really isn’t a dream, right?”

“I… uh…” I look down at my paws, then back at Fia. “I hope not.”

“Well hey, on the bright side, if this is a dream, then it’s the best dream I’ve ever had… and if it’s real…” She yawns. “Come on, silly. Let’s get some sleep.”

And if it’s real, what? Even as she leads me to my straw bed, I still can’t help but feel a bit anxious.

And then we both lie down, our beds close, with Fia inching closer to me. She buries her nose into the fur by my neck, nuzzling me. “Good night, Indigo.”

The warm feeling comes back, my smile coming with it. “Good night, Fia…” I make an attempt to nuzzle her back, digging my snout into spot by her neck where one of her vines come out. She giggles a ticklish giggle.

Fia puts her hand on my cheek as I withdraw, stroking my fur. I let my head fall onto her touch. “If this all really isn’t a dream… then we have a lot to do tomorrow.”

The realization sinks in even further. I touch her hand with a paw and smile back at her. “Yeah…”

And with her hand still on my cheek, she pulls me close and kisses the other cheek. “I love you, Indigo.”

Her words echo in my head, further emphasizing what our relationship has become. Best friends was already something… but this…

“You were making that dumb face again, silly.” She giggles.

“Oh… I guess I was…” The warm feeling rushes to my embarrassed face. WIth that, I try to muster my most certain tone. “I love you too, Fia.”

She smiles an honest smile and wraps her arms around my shoulders to pull me into an embrace. All the while, I just smile a mushy smile and hug her back. I think that’s the ‘dumb face’ Fia mentioned earlier.

Even as I close my eyes to try to sleep, I still think I’ve been dreaming this whole thing up. But yet, the words, the feelings, everything that just happened still seems so real. A too-good-to-be-true situation that actually is true. And there’s still more to look forward to tomorrow, too…

My mind goes on to think about tomorrow’s snow day. The memory of Fia’s snow sculptures gets brought up in my mind, primarily the moment snow me and snow Fia succumbed to the warmth and melted into mush. I’m still feeling a similar warm feeling, lying down here on my straw bed where another snow lump previously was. It’s enchanting enough that I’m feeling this feeling because of what happened, but it just gets even more touching when I realize that Fia’s possibly feeling the same thing. Here we both are, feeling the same warm feeling to the point where we’re the mushy Pokémon we are now.

Maybe snow’s not so bad after all-

The door suddenly swings open. I quickly whip my gaze back up to stare at the figure by the doorway. Fia does too.

“Alright, I’ve pretty much made a name for myself delivering these letters to you guys, so you know the drill…” Mac suddenly trails off as he looks at us, letter in paw. “Okay, I get it, you sleep hug, I’m used to it… but is it me, or do you two look more surprised than usual?”

Silence. Neither me nor Fia prepared ourselves to handle a surprise visitor.

Mac smirks. “Is something going on-”

The door suddenly slams shut, a vine making sure to lock the door before returning into Fia’s shoulder.

Mac’s voice can still be heard. “I’ll just slip this in from underneath then.” And he slips the letter from beneath the door.

I glance at it. “Fia, it’s probably for you… are you uh… gonna get that?”

“I’ll just read it tomorrow morning…” She smiles, nuzzling into me again. “Now, where were we?”

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...