1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Someone talk me into/out of doing this

Discussion in 'Creative Zone' started by Wolf Expert, Apr 8, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Wolf Expert

Wolf Expert Canine Scholar

Wolf
    (Riolu)
    Level 24
    PokéPoints:
    ₽761.2
    Moon Ball ★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★Premier Ball ★Friend Ball ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★
    I'm about 530 pages into this book I've been working on for way too long now. I'm getting close to a pretty monumental part of the story and following that is going to be the super awesome epic finale. So the problem is, I kind of... just got an idea for another story completely unrelated to the one I'm working on now.

So on one hand, I really want to write something new because I've been working on this book for so long now. On the other, I've been working on this book for so long now and I don't want it to take any longer than it already is, or for it to get buried if I get invested in writing something else. I guess right there, that's one pro and two cons for writing something new, but do those hold the same weight? I'm not sure.

The book I'm currently working on is a high fantasy setting and more on the darker side, while the one I'm considering working on might be somewhere between high and low fantasy (I don't know yet since I literally just got the idea for this yesterday) and more lighthearted, probably. The current one is oriented more towards action/adventure with some mystery elements thrown in, while the one I'm considering is sort of the reverse; mystery-focused with a little action/adventure thrown in. While the current one I'm writing is turning out to be very lengthy, as in beginning to look like it will be over 700 pages on completion, the one I'm considering will probably be shorter, but have more books in the series in the long run.

So, thoughts? Opinions? I'll probably hold onto this idea regardless, but should I start it now or wait until the current book is finished?

Edit: Another way to describe them might be that the one I'm working on currently is sort of like my Lord of the Rings, while this other series I'm considering working on would sort of be like my Harry Potter.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. FireSpartan5

FireSpartan5 Pokémon Professor

Zane
    (Genesect Egg)
    Level 5
    PokéPoints:
    ₽866.4
    Cooler Gary Oak ★★★★★Tapunium Z ★★★★★Choice Specs ★★★★★Flame Orb ★★★★★
    I'd recommend writing a basic outline of the new story, then returning to writing the old one. You can work a little on the new one if you ever need a break or get writers block or something. Keep up the good work! It seems you are working very hard on it, so just remember not to strain yourself too much.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Wolf Expert likes this.
  3. Eclipse

SkittleBox
    (Staryu)
    Level 82
    PokéPoints:
    ₽7.0
    Marshadium Z ★★★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★Comet Shard ★★★★Mewnium Z  ★★★★★
    I'd recommend no matter what you decide to do, finish up the story you're working on at some point, and do so sooner rather than later. The longer you wait and not work on a story, the stronger the likelihood will be that it will get buried, lost, and/or forgotten - potentially for good - and your closure will be absent. If you're someone like me who cares a lot about closure, that can be both annoying and crushing.

Strike while your inspiration is still there!

4. Wolf Expert

Wolf
    (Riolu)
    Level 24
    PokéPoints:
    ₽761.2
    I had a dream last night that ended up being a weird combination of both stories. It was leaning more towards the story I'm currently working on, which I guess makes more sense since there's more to it right now. It was a pretty cool dream and I think it really made it apparent how much I still need to figure out about this new story idea before I can actually start working on it. So I guess I'll have to keep working on the current one for the time being.

5. SyWry

Legendary Egg
    (Rayquaza Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,606.1
    I'd recommend writing down literally everything that you currently know about this new story idea and then work on the old one. I often get new ideas for stories to work on to the point where I have around 10 potential story ideas all unique in their own way. I write everything I've thought about them down, then work on my current project. When I'm finished, I look at my list and read each one. Usually, the memory and inspiration comes flooding back to me as I read them. This is the most effective way for me to work with the new ideas that I constantly come up with, without letting the current story get lost.

6. Wolf Expert

Wolf
    (Riolu)
    Level 24
    PokéPoints:
    ₽761.2
    This is a pretty good idea. I've already been doing something similar, although I've just written down a very basic plot summary of the first book. I might go ahead and flush out my notes and get back to work on the current story.

7. Nova Ozuka

Nova Ozuka Hex Maniac

Joy
    (Togepi)
    Level 25
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,366.3
    Something I've noticed from working on my own projects is the further I get into finishing one, the more likely it'll be that I'll finish it, so now I don't upload my stories unless I manage to get to the 10th chapter. That being said, with as far as you've gotten, whatever you do, make sure you finish the one you're working on already before you start actually writing the other one. You can work on your concepts for that story whenever you're taking a break from your first one. That way if the other one doesn't get off the ground, any concepts for it will still be there to use in a different story.

Wolf Expert likes this.
  8. Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero The second seal

Jeff
    (Spinarak)
    Level 19
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,869.8
    Finish what you're doing. If you multi-task, you'll end up cross-contaminating your stories, and that is probably a bad thing. Like has been recommended above, write down all your good ideas of the new story, but I recommend you don't start it until you click Save for the final time on your 530+ page story.

I would hate to see you put it onto the back burner for too long and never come back to it with the same passion you already have.

9. Wolf Expert

Wolf
    (Riolu)
    Level 24
    PokéPoints:
    ₽761.2
    Wow I never even considered cross-contamination. Which is weird since I had a dream that combined the two stories the day after I had the idea. Yeah, that might be bad. With that in mind though, the story I'm working on currently is actually the first book in a planned trilogy. That might be more of a risk long-term, but it might also be good to have a break with a more lighthearted story between books.