1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Starter Pokemon Development

Discussion in 'LV Fan Region: Meroi' started by BZRich64, Aug 11, 2021.

1. BZRich64

BZRich64 The Mustachiod Machamp

Late For A Date
    (Bunnelby)
    Level 13
    PokéPoints:
    ₽6,644.3
    Well, it's about time that we get back to this project and the results of the starter polls are in, so let's take a look at what we're working with:

Grass Starter: Mountain Lion (also known as a cougar or a puma)
    Fire Starter: Horse
    Water Starter: Water Snake or Sea Serpent

And now that we've decided on what animal we want each of our starter Pokémon to have, we need to actually design them. Share your ideas, thoughts and concepts for the starters here so that we can work together on creating these starters.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. NyxieRina

Cryptid
    (Urufuman)
    Level 8
    PokéPoints:
    ₽460.0
    GS Ball ★★★★★Oran Berry ★★
    First Post! Woo!

Okay this may be the dumbest suggestion ever.

What if the first stage of the water starter looked like a pool noodle.

Like maybe it has the shape of one or it has the colors of one.

Its just the first stage. The second and final stages can be as cool and as majestic as youd like but I cant stop thinking about a pool noodle snake starter form.

Its cute, its derpy and its funny

3. NyxieRina

Cryptid
    (Urufuman)
    Level 8
    PokéPoints:
    ₽460.0
    Ignoring my previous poool noodle idea...

What theme are we going to do with these three starters? Starting from Gen 4 each of the Starter Trios had some kind of theme that tied them all together. Sinnoh had real world myths and legends (World Tortoise/Turtle, Sun Wukong, Posideon). Unova had different countries styles (French, Chinese, Japanese). Kalos had RPG classes (Warrior, Mage, Rouge). Alola also has RPG/DnD classes (Ranger, Beserker, Bard). Galar had icons of British culture (Rock, Football, Spy Movies)

I think that having a theme would make designing the starters much easier on us. It helps unify everyone to working to a similar-ish goal when designing them and it might even help a little in making the regions plot (if were taking it that way)

Its quite late here so I havent done much research myself on possible themes but I'll try to come back to this thread to throw in some suggestions at a later date.

(Oh also important. How humanoid do you guys want these starters to end up looking like. Do we make their final evos more humaoid like the recent starters have been or should they be more monstrous?)

4. Captain Comet

Captain Comet Fallen Star Baby

Shiny Space
    (Palkia Egg)
    Level 27
    PokéPoints:
    ₽4,521.6
    Basic Gary Oak ★Rage Candy Bar ★★★Jaw Fossil ★★★Galladite ★★★★
    Where did you come up with that theme for the Alola starters? I always thought they were just different types of performers. (Sharpshooter, Wrestler, Singer)

I like the idea of a pool noodle, but I don't think it should be a starter. I don't know that just seems like a bad idea to me.

I know at one point there was the idea of a sports theme for the starters, but that was way back when my football goat was the main idea for Fire. Plus I think a snake would probably be kind of hard to make sporty.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. NyxieRina

Cryptid
    (Urufuman)
    Level 8
    PokéPoints:
    ₽460.0
    Ive always heard it to be an extension of what the Kalos Starters theme was. In a more DnD sense, Chesnaughts the Fighter, Delphox is a Wizard, Greninjas a Rogue, Decidueye is a Ranger, Incineroar is a Barbarian, Primarinas the Bard. Incineroar and Primarina may be more of a stretch compared to how blatant the other four are buttheres still something there.

Anyways, ignoring the Kalos and Alolan starters for now, I think that a sports idea could work. Im not too familiar with sports in general but maybe something like Racing for the horse and Rock climbing for the Couguar? I do have an idea for the Sea serpent though. What if it has a sailing theme in his hypothetical sports team? Its a water sport (an underappreciated one if what im hearing is true) and can have design elements that wont be too off in a serpent like Pokémon. Like maybe a big sail on its back kinda like a sharks fin or something.

Captain Comet likes this.
  6. NyxieRina

Cryptid
    (Urufuman)
    Level 8
    PokéPoints:
    ₽460.0
    Hello again!

I was thinking about the sports theme again and realized there was something all of those sports I said had in common. Movement and Crossing Terrain.

I have no idea what the geography of the Great Lakes are so this part may be kinda void. But what if the reason why the people of Meroi decided that these three Pokémon wpuld be the best starter choices was because they were one of the most helpful Pokémon in traversing the region. Something a young trainer on their first journey may have difficulty doing. Now whether this is a feature in Meroi or just a little bit of Pokédex trivia is something we can decide on later.

Mountain Lion/Couguar is based on Rock Climbing, where they are masters of traversing the heights and cliffs of Meroi
    Horse can be based on Horse Racing, able to quickly traverse the plains of Meroi with great speed
    Water Serpent can be for Sailing, they can help cross the vast lakes that Meroi is built on.

If Racing is too bland for the horse then why npt make it Gliding? It sounds dumb but there is a myth of a winged horse in Pegasus. Why not make a Pegasus Pokémon for the final evolution?

Possible final evo typings could be Grass/Rock for the Coguar, Fire/Ground or Fire/Electric for the Horse (maybe Fire/Flying if we do the Pegasus/Gliding route) and Water/Dragon for the Sea Serpet (Alternatively Water/Flying but we'd need to differentiate it from Gyrados)

7. Captain Comet

Captain Comet Fallen Star Baby

Shiny Space
    (Palkia Egg)
    Level 27
    PokéPoints:
    ₽4,521.6
    Basic Gary Oak ★Rage Candy Bar ★★★Jaw Fossil ★★★Galladite ★★★★
    I like the Fire/Ground racehorse idea. Dragon I think would be a bit overpowered for a starter though. But Flying could work since one of the main components of sailing is wind. Cougar should definitely be Rock if we go the rock climbing route.

NyxieRina likes this.
  8. Jeydis

Jeydis Midnight Gourmand

Boomer
    (Noibat)
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽5,047.8
    Poké Ball ★Trainer Card - Cave Theme
    Reposting here for the snake concept details:
    Other things it could take influence from:
    - Rainsticks or one of these: upload_2021-8-12_16-5-8.png
    - Snake boats?
    - Thunderclouds and inclement weather in general.

NyxieRina likes this.
  9. Jeydis

Jeydis Midnight Gourmand

Boomer
    (Noibat)
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽5,047.8
    Poké Ball ★Trainer Card - Cave Theme
    I was thinking Water/Electric for the serpent since we dont have a ton of those yet either. Canoeing/sailing would work for both traversal and sports themes we discussed before.

NyxieRina likes this.
  10. NyxieRina

Cryptid
    (Urufuman)
    Level 8
    PokéPoints:
    ₽460.0
    Okay updating this a lil so that anyone not on Discords in the loop.

The horse starter will now be armored and will likely be a bulky Fire/Steel Type.

Grass Coguar is the speedy attacker, Fire Horse is the Tank, Water Serpent is the Special Attacker