1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Starter suggestions thread

Discussion in 'LV Fan Region: Meroi' started by Jeydis, Jan 18, 2021.

1. Jeydis

Jeydis Deep down in Underfity

Boomer
    (Noibat)
    Level 11
    PokéPoints:
    ₽5,847.4
    Poké Ball ★Trainer Card - Cave Theme
    This feels like the next step after naming. Most likely this will stay open for a long while so toss in all of your concepts, don't be shy. Through a process of votes later on we will pick which concepts to work on further and develop art, movepools etc.

This is for concepts only, if you have move/ability ideas you can add them but keep in mind these will be confirmed later on and may change. Feel free to post images of the parts of the concepts but I would avoid whole sprites for now as that might be a lot of work for something that won't be picked in the end.

Keep in mind also that we can always pick up concepts from here and make them non-starters in the games with some tweaking so don't be sad if your concept doesn't make it through the first time!

Post template:
    I would suggest keeping the quote box just to make them stand out from the discussion but that's up to you.

If you like a concepts make sure to throw a like on that post! That can help gauge the popularity of certain ideas. Feel free to also reply to posts and discuss the concepts in more detail.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Captain Comet

Captain Comet Fallen Star Baby

Shiny Space
    (Palkia Egg)
    Level 27
    PokéPoints:
    ₽4,587.7
    Basic Gary Oak ★Rage Candy Bar ★★★Jaw Fossil ★★★Galladite ★★★★
    Name: Kumble/Tacklat/Billitz
    Type: Fire, Fire/Steel
    Concept: Fire football goat

Okay here we go. I've thrown this out a few time because I love it. Basically, imagine a mountain goat with its head and horns forming something of a metal helmet. It likes tackling and headbutting things, and it's first reaction to a threat is to charge full speed at it. Even if it rams into a wall or something, its metal head keeps it from getting hurt. The names are subject to change but I'll explain then just go cause they look weird. "Kumble" is a combination of "kid" (a baby goat) and "fumble", referencing its young age. It could also be change to "Kimble". "Tacklat" is just "tackle" and "goat". Billitz is "billy" (as in billy goat) and "blitz", which aside from the obvious usage here, is also a play in football.

That's the only one I have fully developed but there are also ideas for making the Water-type starter a goose that's part Fighting (though that would work just as well as a normal Pokémon) and some sort of grass lion. There was also the idea a while back of basing them all off sports but I think that's pretty much been abandoned.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Jeydis likes this.
  3. Jeydis

Boomer
    (Noibat)
    Level 11
    PokéPoints:
    ₽5,847.4
    I actually really like the names for the first and last stage. Middle name is meh but it can work. I like this idea though, works with the american side of things and it is a creature that is commonly kept in both the states and canada in farms and such. Last stage should definitely go for the ram look with the Rams team and the fact that they are pretty iconic to north america. Could go bipedal but I like the idea of a quadruped fire starter all the way through since that hasnt happened much.

4. ChocoChicken

Krysmus Azelv (lol)
    (Krysmus Azelv)
    Level 38
    PokéPoints:
    ₽11,110.3
    Misty's EmblemLegendary Triforce ★★
    I am all for the water goose. Since all the water starters have been "weapon" themed, would it be good to call the goose one "beak" like how Feraligatr is "claws"? Or give it a sniper beak but Intelleon already did that part

5. Kung Fu Ferret

PokéPoints:
    ₽119.5
    We could base the starters off Norse mythology, since the North American great lakes region had a lot of Scandinavian immigration.

We could give the water starter a spear like Odin's Gungnir, or a hammer similar to Mjolnir, which was used by Thor.
    The fire starter could be a snake based on Jormungandr, the world serpent, or a horse like Odin's mighty steed Sleipnir. Or a goat like the ones that pulled Thor's Chariot, which could be killed and brought back to life for food like it's no big deal.
    The grass starter should be a bear, IMHO.

Jeydis likes this.
  6. Jeydis

Boomer
    (Noibat)
    Level 11
    PokéPoints:
    ₽5,847.4
    I do like the idea of switching things up and having a mammal grass starter. So far we have only had chespin that would count so I think we could use another. Both the Bear and Lion ideas could work here. We would have to work hard to make these stand out though since both bears and lions are pretty common in both Pokémon and other fan art regions. Perhaps something like a mountain lion could work.

I would actually love the see the serpent role turn to the water type. There are loads of snakes, especially in lakes like the Great Lakes that thrive in the water. Additionally there are loads of monstrous serpent stories that have cropped up around the lakes that would make for easy inspiration. The first one that came to my mind was the Horned Serpent of Native American origin (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horned_Serpent).

The more I think of it the more I want that actually so ill detail the water type as my official suggestion:
    I'll work on the other stages a bit later but I like this one so far.

Edit:
    I would imagine the last stage being Water/Electric with a theme of storms and rain.

#6 Jan 18, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2021
    Captain Comet likes this.
  7. Captain Comet

Shiny Space
    (Palkia Egg)
    Level 27
    PokéPoints:
    ₽4,587.7
    I do really like this idea too, but I think it would work a lot better as a standalone mon. Something rare and kind of mystical, like Dragonair. Water/Dragon would be the obvious typing for it but we could do something else.

Grass bear sounds cool too, but honestly I really like the idea of a grass lion with a mane of leaves. Could be its own thing too though.

Also yes that football goat I came up with should absolutely be quadrupedal.

Jeydis likes this.
  8. ChocoChicken

Krysmus Azelv (lol)
    (Krysmus Azelv)
    Level 38
    PokéPoints:
    ₽11,110.3
    Some ideas from the Discord:
    The starters could eventually evolve into three Legendaries (with the story beat being that the original Starters were given away a la anime) and the Professor gives you what are assumed to also be decent starters. All three might evolve to have a secondary Dragon typing or something. This idea could be controversial, though.

The water starter could be a goose. If not, the goose could be our Route 1 Bird. It would evolve into Water/Fighting or Water/Flying (or Fighting/Flying if it's vetoed from startering) and be very territorial. It would have a signature move Honk, which lowers opponent defense and evasiveness, and also Arena Traps them, reason being "You cannot escape the goose".

Jeydis likes this.
  9. Captain Comet

Shiny Space
    (Palkia Egg)
    Level 27
    PokéPoints:
    ₽4,587.7
    Okay that Honk thing was totally a joke and not meant to be taken seriously.

10. ChocoChicken

Krysmus Azelv (lol)
    (Krysmus Azelv)
    Level 38
    PokéPoints:
    ₽11,110.3
    Huh, even then it is very cool. The goose also better have Intimidate.

11. Jeydis

Boomer
    (Noibat)
    Level 11
    PokéPoints:
    ₽5,847.4
    Arena trap for a few turns or something could be an interesting side effect.

12. Ignem

Ignem Dragon Tamer

Espurr ♀
    (Espurr ♀)
    Level 14
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,201.5
    Charizardite X ★★★★
    Name: Bullfire/Not thought the middle name yet/ Firetaur
    Type: Fire, Fire, Fire/Dark
    Concept: A fire bull from H-E-C-K

The concept is taken a bit from the game monster legends. This monster is called Firestaur, like the whole line is called that. But I wanted the bull to be smol first and then get corrputed by the dark type? The idea is still really loose since I have not thought really well about it. If you have anything to add on, please do.

[​IMG]