1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Steven Stone

Discussion in 'Pokémon General' started by Thunder, Aug 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thunder

Thunder The Alolan Archer

PokéPoints:
    ₽88.1
    [​IMG]
    The great Steven Stone, he's been revamped and been given a Mega Stone, he's the best trainer in Hoenn, until we whoop his butt, that's not the point. We've encountered him so many times in ORAS, surely you've had a favourite moment with him. Again, that's not what this is about! Steven is a very strong trainer and if there is a Pokémon Emerald Remake, it'd be nice to see what they do with the new Steven, there could be so many new possibilities with Steven not being the Champion. This topic is about Steven, what could make his place in the plot better, what needs to be taken away. How can Pokémon make Steven a better character?​

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Pitmore

Pitmore Mild Internal Pain

PokéPoints:
    ₽84.0
    In all honesty, I don't reckon they can. He fits everything he stands for, coolness of steel, calmness of ancient rock.

'Nuff said imo

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Netnin

Netnin Sailor

PokéPoints:
    ₽20.0
    Steven's certainly more involved than when he was in the original R/S/E--as far as I can recall. (I dunno, my memory on Gen 3 is a bit fuzzy. the game is at least ten years old now)
    Like most of the Champions though, I feel that he's kinda the same as the rest. Don't get me wrong, he's a cool guy and all, but he just seems like the Champions we've seen before: knowledgeable and experienced trainers who pop in the story every so often until the not-so-unexpected reveal that they're the Champion.
    I think it's a shame that it's only in the Delta episode that he gets some semblance of character development and flaws; he admits to Wallace that he still has much to learn as both a Pokémon Trainer and as a human, this is all fitting since Steven is still pretty young (being 25 years old)

All of this is just my opinion though, I'm probably in the minority on this one.

4. Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero The second seal

Jeff
    (Spinarak)
    Level 19
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,869.8
    Now that you mention it... most champions aside from Blue/Gary do seem like the same person with a different wardrobe. I'm trying to think of an instance where the player meets Steven in any Hoenn game that, for instance, Lance would handle differently. I really can't think of anything. (Half of the champions use fossil Pokémon, even!)

On the upside of that, I think it is a pretty good formula for that kind of character, on its own. I think that's the kind of champion a Pokémon game needs: a positive role model who has your back, is cool as ice, and is humble enough to not toot his own horn every time you meet. So I think Steven can't be easily improved. Well, maybe they could give him an upgraded wardrobe. I mean *shudder*. He looks like he's wearing last week's unwashed outfit he wore to Wacky Wednesday at the local clown club. Totally not a sharp-dressed man, that Steven Stone.

5. Netnin

Netnin Sailor

PokéPoints:
    ₽20.0
    I won't deny that it is a good formula, but after meeting Alder in the Black and White series I expect more from the Champions. Blue/Gary I think is one of the better Champions because, quite frankly, he's dick and that just pushes you to get stronger so you can surpass him; and with Alder, you just have a lot of respect for the guy, more so than other Champions, and after you beat him you feel like you're at least on level with him.

I have to disagree about Steven's wardrobe though. I mean, that cravat, yo. Who the heck wears a cravat nowadays? I can only think of Levi (Attack on Titan) and Virion (Fire Emblem: Awakening), and those guys are pretty high class.

6. Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero The second seal

Jeff
    (Spinarak)
    Level 19
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,869.8
    Ahem, it's an ascot. I mean honestly. I suppose you're also the sort who would mistake a stickpin for a lapel pin. *snooty aristocrat laugh*.

(Just kidding with the condescending stuff, but really, it is an ascot. I'm a sharp dresser myself, and I've experimented with wearing cravats and ascots casually in the right seasons (and my personal preference is for the ascot))

In my own case, I'm yet unfamiliar with the Unova and Kalos champions, since I have yet to get very far in B2 and I'm waiting for Z, but so far it seems promising that at least one of them has more depth than the previous three champions. I'll stick by my comment that Steven's formula is better than Blue/Gary in the environment of a Pokémon game. These games star a 10-12 year old (ish) player character and are primarily targeted at that age of player, so as far as a driving force goes, the positive reinforcement of a helpful champion may be more desirable than the almost aggressive competitiveness of Blue.

A player who is a semi-independent young adult like myself will probably appreciate the aggressive rivalry of someone like Blue, an equal and opposite force to which to compare myself. A child, however, living dependently and under the guidance of adults in everyday life will likely find more enjoyment in a relationship with someone decidedly more talented and helpful, like Steven. Someone to reach down and take your hand to lift you up, rather than someone who reaches straight across to you, really quickly, with a fist, challenging you to stay up by your own power.

What I'm saying is that (as far as age and experience in the career go) if the player is a Robin, make the rival/champion a Batman. If the player is a Batman, make the rival/champion a Hush. As far as this goes, I think Brendan/May is more of a Robin, and Steven makes a darn good Batman in that relationship.

7. Netnin

Netnin Sailor

PokéPoints:
    ₽20.0
    Weeelll excuuuuse me, princess! Kidding of course. My wardrobe consists of only jeans and T-shirts, so really I have no idea about that kind of stuff; I've never even had to tie a tie, so of course I don't know the difference between a cravat or an ascot.

You do drive some very good points though! It's all a matter of demographics. Pokémon has always been directed more to kids--hell that's why Ash is still ten in the anime. (Too bad he hasn't gotten any smarter.) So in the Black and White series, which has a plot and themes that are much different than other gens, it would make sense that they'd have a different Champion. Gary/Blue was different cause, well, he was the first. From then on, Pokémon got a grasp of its formula and such, so maybe that's why most Champions seem to be mere "costume changes" of the last.
    That analogy though: brilliant. Someone needs to make fanart of May/Brendan as Robin and Steven as Batman, right now.

8. JirachiWish

JirachiWish You only get two wishes

PokéPoints:
    ₽35.0
    I like him, he's a decent character and some of the stuff he says is nice but he drones on a bit too much sometimes. XD I actually didn't expect him to be the champion, admittedly, but I guess that's because it had been awhile since I bought/played a new Pokémon game. He provided a good challenge at the end of the Pokémon League.

9. Megarai111

Megarai111 Elizabeth 3rd

PokéPoints:
    ₽41.6
    I loved Steven! He's also quite handsome, ha ha ha
    He kinda reminds me of Miles Edgeworth from Ace Attorney ^^
    I would like to see Game Freak give him more in-game time if there will ever be an Emerald remake. He's fab, so why not?

10. East

East Look to the Stars

PokéPoints:
    ₽742.2
    I agree with this, though I'm a big Hoenn fanboy.

Steven, to me, has a strong personality that mirrors many other champions, but I think his demeanor is more serious somehow. For me, the only thing that I'd have loved to see Steven do differently for ORAS was have all the Hoenn Regis. I think that would have been absolutely perfect.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.