1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Music Stop that racket!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Dawn, Jan 20, 2019.

1. Dawn

Dawn La vie est drôle

Cresselia
    (Cresselia)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,104.6
    Are there any songs, or genres of music, that you absolutely cannot stand? What makes them so unappealing to you?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Wizard

Wizard Do you feel it? The moon's power!

Cupidueye
    (Decidueye (Cupid))
    Level 113
    PokéPoints:
    ₽9,385.6
    Like a lot of people, I'm not all that fond of country music. For me, it sounds monotonous between the different songs, most of the time. Obviously there are good country songs still, but the genre overall is not for me.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Ethereal

Ethereal LV Lurker

Luigia
    (Lugia Egg)
    Level 12
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,311.7
    Thunder Stone ★★★Poké Doll ★★
    Rap for me, with the exception of a few songs I like ironically (eg, Pink Guy, "I love it", "Sicko Mode") and the few Kanye songs I unironically enjoy. I just can't get into rap as a singing style. Never been a fan of it. Not to mention some of it's fans can get a tad annoying on other websites. I've seen a lot of poeple try and forcefully push rap onto non-fans and in the end it makes me feel even more sour about a genre that I'm already not keen on. Good job guys!
    Not a fan of current pop music either. I feel like a lot of it is way to overproduced and I cannot stand the heavy rap and trap influences. And oh god and I hate those random high pitched sped-up voices they seem add in the background to a lot of newer songs. So goddamn annoying.
    Hell, I actually prefer the pop music we were getting in the late 2000's-early 10's over the stuff on the radio today. At least it was fun and didn't want to make me rip my eardrums out. I'll take Lady Gaga or early Katy Perry over Dua Lipa any day of the week... (Seriously though 'Teenage Dream' was a banger)

#3 Jan 20, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2019
    Neb and FireSpartan5 like this.
  4. RadEmpoleon

RadEmpoleon certified EPIC Gamer™

Bondo
    (Sobble)
    Level 11
    PokéPoints:
    ₽4,111.9
    Comet Shard ★★★★Poké Doll ★★
    Country, rap, and modern pop. Country because the songs all say something like "sippin' ice tea on the front porch" or "mah honey broke up with me" with so much guitar. Rap is so intolerable to me due to the high amount I hear people at school blasting through their earbuds rap songs with heavy backbeats (which I call "sprinkler jams" because the sound reminds me of a sprinkler). Honestly, either turn it down or get better taste, preferably both. I don't like modern pop because almost every song is about love, and some of them have some inappropriate lyrics, especially for kids who might just be blindly saying the words without knowing what they mean. Of course I have heard some songs that aren't about love, those aren't so bad. I guess I just can't get into any of these genres.

FireSpartan5 and Wizard like this.
  5. Gazi

Lilith
    (Litleo ♀)
    Level 9
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,871.2
    Dawn Stone ★★★★Legendary Triforce ★★Reaper Cloth ★★★
    There are always exceptions, of course, but in general I'm not too fond of gospel music, or screamo music. I used to really not like heavy metal or rap music, but I've really come to have an appreciation for them when they're done well.

6. SyWry

Legendary Egg
    (Rayquaza Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,606.1
    I'm not a fan of hard rock, rap songs, and modern pop. For hard rock, its like you can only do so much to music until it just becomes noise. Hard rock is the epitome of doing just that where it turns rock songs into just noise. I like good rock music, but hard rock ruins it. Rap is just using lyrics for music and its not very entertaining because it usually lacks a fine musical accompaniment. Modern pop is all about lovey dovey relationships and I hate it. Its not that I hate those kinds of relationships, but the lyrics are terrible and otherwise good music has to be tied to songs about it. Also, think about what demographic these songs are targeting and telling them about. I don't care if there are a few songs like this, but the market is over-saturated with these songs and most of them are terrible.

FireSpartan5 likes this.
  7. ChocoChicken

Krysmus Azelv (lol)
    (Krysmus Azelv)
    Level 34
    PokéPoints:
    ₽10,262.1
    Misty's EmblemLegendary Triforce ★★
    A buddy of mine once looked up the lyrics to one of the most popular rap songs on Spotify. Long story short, from reading those, the only thing they learned was that the singer had a car. The rest of it was swearing, slang, and racist language. There are a few songs that actually make good use of the genre, except they're all joke "diss tracks" that are made for laughs (there was one with lyrics only about cobblestone and nothing else).
    The other is pop. Romance pop. It's like there's nothing else to sing about nowadays. Your ex boyfriend, your perfect lover, your girlfriend cheating on you, you finding the perfect person... I don't care. A song I especially don't like is Shape Of You by Ed Sheeran. I mean no offense to anyone who likes that song, but its message is honestly only about lust - and that's one of the few things I despise about human nature. There's no romance in that song, no. And any pop song about you-know-what is definitely out of the question. The few pop songs I do like are either from musicals or from the nineties. Ironic, since I wasn't even alive back then.
    EDIT: Dubstep with 900000000x the bass is definitely not my cup of tea, either. If your song literally has a "warning: the following contains a high amount of bass; listener discretion is advised" I'm outta there. Talking to you, Dubwoofer Substep. The things I go through for my fandoms...

FireSpartan5 and RadEmpoleon like this.
  8. RadEmpoleon

RadEmpoleon certified EPIC Gamer™

Bondo
    (Sobble)
    Level 11
    PokéPoints:
    ₽4,111.9
    Comet Shard ★★★★Poké Doll ★★
    Shape Of You is literally the song I had in mind when I said “inappropriate lyrics that kids blindly say without knowing the meaning of the words”. Honestly, what if a young child just starts singing that? They don’t know what the song is implying. (I kinda sound like an angry parent but I’m strongly against inappropriate lyrics in songs, especially if children start singing along.)

FireSpartan5 and ChocoChicken like this.
  9. FireSpartan5

FireSpartan5 Pokémon Professor

Zane
    (Genesect Egg)
    Level 5
    PokéPoints:
    ₽866.4
    Cooler Gary Oak ★★★★★Tapunium Z ★★★★★Choice Specs ★★★★★Flame Orb ★★★★★
    I agree with you guys. Rap and Pop. Country is repetitive and annoying after a while, but at least the first few songs you hear are good. With Rap, it’s usually just about drugs and sex, with curses every other word, and I find that kind of disgusting. And Pop, how the mighty decent have fallen! It’s all about love, lust (love of the body), breakups and hating Ex’s (ending love) and the occasional one with lyrics that don’t mean anything at all! Phineas and Ferb made a parody of this trope, saying in the episode itself that the lyrics were meaningless, and it STILL became one of the most popular songs in the series! (Gitchie Gitchee Goo is the name of the song, I forgot the name of the episode.) It’s kind of infuriating honestly.

ChocoChicken likes this.
  10. Neb

Neb Cosmog Enthusiast

AZ
    (Flabébé (O))
    Level 12
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,240.2
    GS Ball ★★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★Poké Ball ★Potion ★Oran Berry ★★
    Hard rock/metal, rap/trap music, and country music. I have different reasons for each one, so let’s start with the one I dislike the least,

Country music is really repetitive. A lot of the lyrics fall under the “drivin’ in my pickup truck” category, and the singers always have this have this drawl in their voice. I know it’s their accent, but it can get a little grating.

Hard rock makes my ears hurt. The tuned up electric guitars and frequent screaming just make this genre inaudible to me. That and the frequently angsty lyrics.

Rap/Trap. Aside from an ironic fondness for “Baby Got Back,” I’m not a fan of any type of rap. It sounds like talking with a condescending slant. The loud beats make hearing rap from cars especially annoying. I can’t walk down the street without one car going “bzz, bzz, bzz, bzz.” The fact this genre is dominating the pop charts makes me kind of sad. It’s the sole reason I listen to so much old pop and indie music.