1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Event Summer Scramble Showdown!

Discussion in 'Valor Archive' started by Wolf Expert, Jul 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wolf Expert

Wolf Expert Canine Scholar

Wolf
    (Riolu)
    Level 24
    PokéPoints:
    ₽761.2
    Moon Ball ★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★Premier Ball ★Friend Ball ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★
    Welcome, one and all, to the Summer Scramble Showdown!!!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

This a weekly team building/competitive battling event where you'll work together with your teammates in order to put together a competitive Pokémon team on Showdown.

Each week, you'll have six days, starting on Sunday, to work together with your teammates to plan your team. You must decide on everything together, including the Pokémon you'll be using, their moves, stats, natures, held items, nicknames... EVERYTHING. When you have a team decided, choose a representative to battle on your team's behalf.

Points will be awarded based on how many of the Pokémon on the enemy team you manage to knock out, not for winning the battle. This means even if you lose, you'll get points based on how well you do!

Of course, there are a few rules for building your teams and battling.

• @FireSpartan5 represented his team during week 1, and so can't be Battle Representative again. @TripleAAABattery represented his team during week 1, was given special permission to represent in one more future battle, and represented his team once more during week 3, and so can't be Battle Representative again.
    • @OzoneFruit and @Ridlins represented their teams during week 2, and can't be Battle Representatives again.
    • @FNT represented his team during week 3, and so can't be Battle Representative again.
    • Alakazam, Amoongus, Azumarill, Bisharp, Charizard, Clefable, Empoleon, Excadrill, Ferrothorn, Garchomp, Gardevoir, Gliscor, Greninja, Infernape, Lopunny, Mandibuzz, Medicham, Metagross, Mimikyu, Primarina, Ribombee, Rotom, Scizor, Serperior, Shuckle, Skarmory, Tangrowth, Togekiss, Toxapex, Tyrannitar, Volcarona, and Weavile are all retired and can't be used again in any future teams.

• Work together when designing your teams. One person should NOT be making all of the decisions involved. Make sure everyone who wants to participate has their suggestions heard and an agreement is reached on the team that will be used before settling on your team.
    • While not required, I'd suggest you ask me to check your teams once they're ready to make sure they don't break any rules.
    • In the event of a tie (point-wise), a tie breaker match will be held on July 31st, with rules for the tie breaker to be announced following the planned final battle on July 28th.

• The teams should be set up for Gen 7 OU.
    • Legendaries, Mythical Pokémon, Tapu, and Ultra Beasts, even if they qualify for Gen 7 OU, are banned.
    • The moves Protect, Detect, Quick Guard, Wide Guard, Endure, Spiky Shield, King’s Shield, and Baneful Bunker are banned.
      • Substitute is restricted. It can't be used on a stall set and if you use it on a Pokémon, I'll require you to let me review your team and approve it before it can be used in battle.
    • Moves and items that decrease your enemy’s accuracy or increases your own Pokémon’s evasion are banned.
    • You can only intentionally apply a status condition to an enemy Pokémon once per battle.
      This means using moves such as Toxic, Spore, Nuzzle, or Inferno, using the move Trick to give your opponent an item, such as Flame or Toxic Orbs, or using moves with a chance to cause status conditions in conjunction with abilities like Serene Grace. An enemy Pokémon getting a status condition by attacking your Pokémon, such as attacking a Pokémon with Flame Body, is fair game. You can still apply as many status conditions to your own Pokémon as you’d like.
      • You can use any moves that apply a status if your opponent can intentionally avoid the status if they choose (such as, switching into a poison type when Toxic Spikes are down, or switching out after Yawn is used to prevent being put to sleep.
      • If your intentionally applied status gets healed, you can reapply it, but the reapplied status must be the same status that was healed.
    • Your team must consist of 6 Pokémon.
    • All Pokémon must be set to level 100.
    • Each Pokémon you use can only be used once throughout the entirety of the competition.
    • New teams also can't contain Pokémon used previously by the rival team.
    • No duplicate items within the same team.

• A new team representative should be chosen each week.
    • The battle timer should be turned on.
      • If one of the battlers allows the timer to run out or disconnects and doesn't reconnect in time, it will count as a disqualification and the Victory Points they would have earned for that battle will be cut in half, rounding down, while the opposing team will automatically be awarded 6 Victory Points. Make sure your battle representative has good internet connection!
    • The winning battle representative of each match should post a link to the battle replay in this thread.

Any rule breaking will result in a disqualification for the match the rule breaking takes place in. The disqualified team will get 0 Victory Points for the match, and the other team will win the match by default and receive 6 Victory Points. Make sure you understand the rules; if you’re not sure about something, it’s better to be safe than sorry and ask for clarification.

Now, for how the points will be awarded:

• Victory Points: You'll get 1 point for each of your opponent's Pokémon you manage to knock out. These are the points that will determine which team wins the event.
    • Participation: You'll get 1 Scramble Point for each person who participates in putting the team together. This is awarded weekly, so you can earn a total of 4 points for your team if you participate each week!

And of course, what are points without prizes?

• First Place: The team with the most Victory Points at the end will earn the Contest Winner Medal, 10pp, and the chance to shiny hunt for Sawk, Throh, and Lucario!
    • Second Place: The team with the least Victory Points will earn 5pp and a chance to shiny hunt for Sawk (if Team Azure) or Throh (if Team Crimson).
    • Participation Prize: Each person who participates in the event will earn the Contest Participant medal and 5 pokepoints.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #1 Jul 2, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2018
  2. FNT

FNT Collector

Storm The Fort
    (Giratina Egg)
    Level 2
    PokéPoints:
    ₽116.2
    Ultra Ball ★★
    @Wolf Expert
    quick question concerning the rule
    Would this mean Toxic Spikes is banned?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. OzoneFruit

OzoneFruit Made The Arcadia Virus a Cute Anime Girl

Minior (Core Indigo)
    (Minior (Core Indigo))
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽788.4
    Lucky Punch ★★★★★Eject Button ★★★★Castelia Cone ★★★Leftovers ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★
    > No multiple status and not protect.

This angers me :furious:

Apawn likes this.
  4. FNT

FNT Collector

Storm The Fort
    (Giratina Egg)
    Level 2
    PokéPoints:
    ₽116.2
    Ultra Ball ★★
    IKR banning stall is like banning half the Pokémon/making them useless

5. Skullbash

Skullbash I will become the Pirate King

Ralts ♂
    (Ralts ♂)
    Level 9
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,895.3
    GS Ball ★★★★★Basic Gary Oak ★Cooler Gary Oak ★★★★★Legendary Triforce ★★
    These rules absolutely killed this event for me :(

6. FNT

FNT Collector

Storm The Fort
    (Giratina Egg)
    Level 2
    PokéPoints:
    ₽116.2
    Ultra Ball ★★
    RIP
    I mean I guess you could still help build and not battle

7. Apawn

Apawn Modern Gen 2 Artist

Nosejob
    (Nosepass)
    Level 49
    PokéPoints:
    ₽360.7
    Shiny QuilavaQuilava
    FireSpartan5 likes this.
  8. Wolf Expert

Wolf
    (Riolu)
    Level 24
    PokéPoints:
    ₽761.2
    Posting this here too just in case people missed it.

https://lakevalor.net/threads/summer-scramble-showdown-rule-clarification.21912/

Just a heads up and for the sake of transparency, I might delete the comments above at some point just to clean up a bit. The posts on this thread are mostly supposed to be for keeping track of battle replays and participation. I'll leave them up for now, but will probably take them down some time on Saturday before the first battle. If you have any more concerns, you can leave them in the thread linked above and I'll try to get to them.

Vigilance likes this.
  9. Wolf Expert

Wolf
    (Riolu)
    Level 24
    PokéPoints:
    ₽761.2
    Happy Friday, everyone! Today is the last day to put your teams together if you haven't finished yet. You'll have until midnight PST to get it done, since I want to leave all of Saturday open to allow your representatives to find a time to battle that works for both of them. (This isn't a super strict deadline, but I'd prefer if you got it done by around this time to leave as much time open on Saturday as possible.) If you want me to check your teams for you to make sure everything is okay rule-wise, try to get them done and let me know as soon as possible. Otherwise, if you think you're good to go, good luck and have fun!

I know it was a bit of a time crunch this week, with the event not going up until late on Monday and also with 4th of July being right in the middle of the week, but hopefully time won't be as much of an issue going forward. You can start planning next week's team as soon as this week's battle is over.

If the battle representatives could reply below with time frames you'll be available to battle, that should make things go a little more smoothly.

@OzoneFruit @Gwoomy if you guys could make sure your teams know about all of this, that would be great!

10. OzoneFruit

OzoneFruit Made The Arcadia Virus a Cute Anime Girl

Minior (Core Indigo)
    (Minior (Core Indigo))
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽788.4
    Lucky Punch ★★★★★Eject Button ★★★★Castelia Cone ★★★Leftovers ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★
    I believe our team for this week is set and ready to go! I'll DM you on Discord real quick with the team to double check! @FireSpartan5 will be representing Team Azure for this battle!

Wolf Expert likes this.
  11. Gwoomy

Gwoomy french goo

HOLY SHIT
    (MissingNo.)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽6,650.4
    Dragon Scale ★★★Marshadium Z ★★★★★Helix Fossil ★★★Legendary Triforce ★★Animal Crossing Leaf ★
    I don’t really understand competitive speech, but I don’t think they’re done yet.
    @TripleAAABattery will represent Crimson this week!

12. Wolf Expert

Wolf
    (Riolu)
    Level 24
    PokéPoints:
    ₽761.2
    Still waiting for Crimson to say they've finished with their team. If you guys have finished, @TripleAAABattery and @FireSpartan5, you guys should try to coordinate a time that works best for you to battle today, if you haven't already.

Remember, the match should be played with the battle timer on and the winner is the one responsible for linking the replay here in this thread.

Good luck!

13. TripleAAABattery

TripleAAABattery Look at my fluff! LOOK AT IT

Gottem
    (Eevee (K))
    Level 45
    PokéPoints:
    ₽991.0
    We're getting ready to battle in a few minutes. Would it be better to link the battle to the Discord server or our respective team areas on Discord?

14. Wolf Expert

Wolf
    (Riolu)
    Level 24
    PokéPoints:
    ₽761.2
    If you're liking it so other people can watch, link to the general discord. Your team chats should only be used for discord events.

15. TripleAAABattery

TripleAAABattery Look at my fluff! LOOK AT IT

Gottem
    (Eevee (K))
    Level 45
    PokéPoints:
    ₽991.0
    Wolf Expert likes this.
  16. Wolf Expert

Wolf
    (Riolu)
    Level 24
    PokéPoints:
    ₽761.2
    Alright, good battle this week! I've created a Scoreboard in order to keep track of points for the event. Remember, these are the points for the battle competition itself, not your scramble points. Your scramble points are determined based on who participated in team building and battling and will be added to the Summer Scramble Scoreboard.

https://lakevalor.net/threads/summer-scramble-showdown-scoreboard.21967/

I've also added a list of Pokémon that can't be used again in future teams to both the list of rules on this thread, and on the Scoreboard. The representatives of this week's battle also can't be your representatives again. Decisions are going to start getting much more difficult from here on out!

Edit: I'm also taking out the rule requiring team captains to add a list of participants to this thread. It's just a lot quicker and more efficient if I look through the threads myself. Remember, you're scored based on how many people participate in the discussion, even if not everyone involved is an expert when it comes to competitive battling. Try to get as many people involved as you can.

#16 Jul 7, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2018
  17. Wolf Expert

Wolf
    (Riolu)
    Level 24
    PokéPoints:
    ₽761.2
    Last week, FNT asked if it would be okay to reapply the one-time status condition if it gets healed with Heal Bell. At the time I essentially answered with "I'll think about it" because I needed more time to consider. So here's what I've decided.

You can reapply your one-time intentionally applied status condition if it gets healed, but only if:
    • You reapply it to the Pokémon it was originally applied to
    • You reapply the same status condition.
    So if I were to poison a Chansey with Toxic and that Chansey used Heal Bell to cure itself, I can use Toxic on Chansey to reapply poison, but I can't use toxic on another Pokémon and I can't use Will o' Wisp (for example) on Chansey or another Pokémon.

I'd suggest being very careful about keeping track of which Pokémon you apply a condition to in this way. If you apply a different status condition, or apply a status condition to a Pokémon other than the one it was originally applied to, that'll be considered rule breaking.

Aside from this small addition to the rules, the rules this week are essentially the same, aside from a slightly more extensive list of Pokémon you can't use. So you're free to get started on building next week's team whenever you want. Hopefully this will be the last rule change.

Also, I just recently found out about a slight family emergency that I'll need to take care of over the next couple of days. Just as a heads up, I might not be around much between Sunday and Wednesday.

@Gwoomy @OzoneFruit sorry for all the pings today.

18. FireSpartan5

FireSpartan5 Pokémon Professor

Zane
    (Genesect Egg)
    Level 5
    PokéPoints:
    ₽866.4
    Cooler Gary Oak ★★★★★Tapunium Z ★★★★★Choice Specs ★★★★★Flame Orb ★★★★★
    This is impossible to control in battle. You could try to reapply the status to the same Pokémon, and then your opponent switches without you predicting it and BOOM, you are disqualified. Please either allow reapplication to anyone, or ban it altogether. Or ban things like Heal Bell, or something, just make it make sense! It is difficult to alter a balanced game in terms of mechanics and also maintain balance, so I get why this is difficult, but please make this small portion easier.

19. Wolf Expert

Wolf
    (Riolu)
    Level 24
    PokéPoints:
    ₽761.2
    Hmm I hadn't thought about that. Alright, I'm removing the part of the rule requiring it to be applied to the same Pokémon. It still has to be the same status condition as the originally applied status condition.

20. Wolf Expert

Wolf
    (Riolu)
    Level 24
    PokéPoints:
    ₽761.2
    @OzoneFruit @Gwoomy Pinging the captains!

Today is Thursday! That means you have until tomorrow at Midnight to finish building your teams. Ideally you should finish before then if you want me to check to make sure everything's okay with your team and have time to adjust your teams if you have to.

Don't forget to post here when you're finished and post the names of your representatives.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.