1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Super Mario discussion thread

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Halcyon Storm, Mar 20, 2018.

1. Halcyon Storm

Halcyon Storm Joking motive

Sewaddle
    (Sewaddle)
    Level 11
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,463.8
    Discuss anything and everything related to the Super Mario franchise here!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. SnowboundBecca

SnowboundBecca Scarf Enthusiast

Jet Stone
    (Froakie)
    Level 27
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,335.7
    Marshadium Z ★★★★★Beast Ball ★★★★Black Glasses ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★Legendary Triforce ★★
    Okay, might as well start this.

I'm positive Mario has been a part of everyone's childhood in this day and age. I think the first Mario game I managed to play and complete was Super Mario Sunshine for the GameCube (we had a PlayStation for our first console, not a Nintendo 64). I remember having so much trouble beating the final level before the inevitable Bowser fight, trying desperately to weave around rocks on a stupid boat over lava. I still beat it, mind you, but was never able to 100% it.

Since then, the Mario games that have come out have just been getting better and better. Mario Galaxy was a masterpiece, its sequel expanded on the awesome gameplay, and Odyssey is a fantastic roller coaster of pure joy from beginning to end. So... yeah. Those are my thoughts on Mario. It's pretty good.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. ShinigamiMiroku

Sorceress' Knight
    (Ralts ♂)
    Level 23
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,354.4
    Red Orb ★★★★★
    Odyssey is going to be INSANELY hard to top.

4. Halcyon Storm

Sewaddle
    (Sewaddle)
    Level 11
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,463.8
    Odyssey 2. Enough said.

5. ShinigamiMiroku

Sorceress' Knight
    (Ralts ♂)
    Level 23
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,354.4
    Red Orb ★★★★★
    Unfortunately, sequels have a VERY hard time doing just that.

6. Halcyon Storm

Sewaddle
    (Sewaddle)
    Level 11
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,463.8
    Galaxy 2 did it though... and since Odyssey is directly next in their line of "grand main title 3D platformers", I'd say it has a very decent chance of being as good as Odyssey, if not better.

7. ShinigamiMiroku

Sorceress' Knight
    (Ralts ♂)
    Level 23
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,354.4
    Red Orb ★★★★★
    Debatable. Personally, I didn't enjoy the changes for SMG2, though Yoshi is always a good addition. But, eh, to each their own.

8. FireSpartan5

FireSpartan5 Pokémon Professor

Zane
    (Genesect Egg)
    Level 5
    PokéPoints:
    ₽866.4
    Cooler Gary Oak ★★★★★Tapunium Z ★★★★★Choice Specs ★★★★★Flame Orb ★★★★★
    Luigi is awesome. Alright I'm done here.

9. ShinigamiMiroku

Sorceress' Knight
    (Ralts ♂)
    Level 23
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,354.4
    Red Orb ★★★★★
    Another thing I don't get is people who try to be contrarians for the sake of being contrary. I mean, if you don't like Odyssey, then that's one thing (though you'd have to be an SMB3 elitist to think like that), but bashing the game just to bash it, especially if you haven't played it yourself? No sense whatsoever.

For instance, I've played Super Mario Sunshine, and while I dislike it it's because of the programming errors and several points of lazy design, but at the same time I love when they get the designs right, and the brightness was a great contrast to the dark games that were gaining popularity at the time.

10. Sethal

Sethal Vibing to OST

Aurile
    (Alolan Vulpix)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,428.1
    Comet Shard ★★★★Star Piece ★★★★Cooler Gary Oak ★★★★★Water Stone ★★★Thunder Stone ★★★
    Yeah, but that problem is not exclusive to Super Mario Odyssee. The new Pokémon gen ,as a example, is facing a similiar situation.
    Personally, I love the game, I've even completed it to 100%, but the game is far from perfect, having the issues it has.

So, what do you guys think about SMM 2?

#10 Jul 25, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2019
  11. DuoM2

Groudon Egg
    (Groudon Egg)
    Level 18
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,398.7
    Mario Maker 1 was a fantastic idea that was executed well and Mario Maker 2 improved on it in every way- better UI, the addition of Super Mario 3D World, more playable characters, and all the new toys like on/off blocks and slopes. The controls take some getting used to but otherwise it's a stellar game that most people who have a Switch should probably buy unless they had issues with the first one.

12. Sethal

Sethal Vibing to OST

Aurile
    (Alolan Vulpix)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,428.1
    Comet Shard ★★★★Star Piece ★★★★Cooler Gary Oak ★★★★★Water Stone ★★★Thunder Stone ★★★
    Yeah, I feel similar! Originally, I had a problem with the amount of levels you can upload (32), but they doubled the number, so I'm fine with it.

DuoM2 likes this.
  13. Gazi

Lilith
    (Litleo ♀)
    Level 9
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,871.2
    Dawn Stone ★★★★Legendary Triforce ★★Reaper Cloth ★★★
    I love the mario franchise as a whole, and think that it's really impressive that I can still enjoy the games individually when for the most part they still have similar elements to the previous games. They change just enough though that each game feels completely unique, and I still enjoy playing Mario 64 just as much as Odyssey. I also like the Paper Mario games (I love Super Paper Mario so much).

ShinigamiMiroku likes this.
  14. Sethal

Sethal Vibing to OST

Aurile
    (Alolan Vulpix)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,428.1
    Yeah, Paper Mario series is really great. TTYD for the Switch pls
    How do you feel about the newest Paper Mario Games, namely Color Splash and Sticker Star?
    Tbh, I don't find them that bad. They're just missing the special "something" that make Paper MArio games so great. And I don't mean the turn-based fightsystem, though it'd be nice to have it back.

15. Gazi

Lilith
    (Litleo ♀)
    Level 9
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,871.2
    Dawn Stone ★★★★Legendary Triforce ★★Reaper Cloth ★★★
    I haven't played Color Splash or Sticker Star. I've heard that people didn't really enjoy them, but I'd probably like them just fine. I've yet to find a Mario game that I don't enjoy in one way or another. The games both look original though, with the whole craftsy theme going on, so if for no other reason I'd probably enjoy the aesthetic of the games. And since I know that these games only seem to be Paper Mario games just in name alone, I may not be disappointed when I play the games and see that they're not like the others.

Sethal likes this.
  16. Shadria

Shadria Impish Illusionary Kitsune

Lucan
    (Ralts ♂)
    Level 6
    PokéPoints:
    ₽501.7
    Black Glasses ★★★★Friend Ball ★★★★Park Ball ★★★Helix Fossil ★★★Sun Stone ★★★
    I really enjoy the lore, when there is some. ^^ I really like Birdo and feel like they should be in more games, maybe finally get a main series appearance with Daisy (since her appearance in Mario Land)?

17. Sethal

Sethal Vibing to OST

Aurile
    (Alolan Vulpix)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,428.1
    Yeah, that would be nice. The Mario Franchise could always use more characters. Though I wouldn't know how to implement that in the usual "oh no peach is kidnapped" type of stories.