1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Comp / Tech Swedes getting ID Microchips into their Hands

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Laserdragon14, Jan 17, 2019.

1. Laserdragon14

Laserdragon14 Dragon Maverick

Falchion
    (Honedge)
    Level 22
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,429.1
    Flame Orb ★★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★Poké Ball ★Trainer Card - Cave Theme
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Moonstruck-Mist

HoverBoots
    (Shaymin (Sky))
    Level 35
    PokéPoints:
    ₽544.9
    Personally, I think this is a bad idea. 1. Because sensors can be easily fooled. 2. I've watched way too many science fiction shows to know that simple chips will work all too well. 3. We are humans.

I won't deny that there are positives to the great bamboozling of chips inside hands to replace IDs, but I personally just don't agree with the idea. It seems horribly flawed and easy to abuse. And how would they update with time? I think that maybe one day this would work, but where we are right now is too risky for such a thing to be done, no matter where you are.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Laserdragon14 likes this.
  3. Hraesvelgr

Hraesvelgr Snek in Your Boot

Zapdos Egg
    (Zapdos Egg)
    Level 21
    PokéPoints:
    ₽11,687.0
    Trainer Card - Cave ThemeDragon Fang ★★★★Philosopher's CowlWater Stone ★★★Great Ball ★★
    I can see this going wrong eventually, when you inject something like that into your body not everyone will be lucky enough to avoid infection and what if someone turns out to be severely allergic to some components used to make the chip. I could see that end really badly depending on how the body reacts. Chips also might not stay put, we already put micro chips into our pets for identification and those chips can travel, is why a large area of the animal is scanned although is rare for them to move it can still happen. I don't see why they won't do the same here making it harder to use should it move.

I can also see thieves just running around with a nifty little scanner device later on should this become the norm that'll just let them steal your ID simply just by being close enough to your hand, I don't really think is that good of an idea.

4. Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero The second seal

Jeff
    (Spinarak)
    Level 19
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,869.8
    I'm not about this. People already say you should keep your RFID credit cards in a Faraday Cage wallet/purse any time you're not actively using it, because someone can just get close to you with the right device and just copy it. Are you supposed to wear a RFID-blocking glove at all times to keep someone from detecting and copying your chip code from inside your hand?

In addition to other inconveniences, how about this line: "When she enters her workplace, the 28-year-old simply waves her hand near a small box and types in a code before the doors open". I do not see how this is any more or less secure or any more or less convenient than simply typing in the code. Your hand is already out of your pocket, you still have to prove you have access with a code, nothing is different. Even in the future when this technology is more trusted and there's no keypad code required, how is this more convenient than a chip in your wallet that can be read from more than a wallet's thickness away? It's true that you won't ever forget your hand at home, but it's probably even easier to criminally copy the chip from a hand than from a card (you trick me into putting my hand near the copy device instead of my wallet-having left buttcheek near the copy device), and I can just as easily wave my hand at a sensor as I can grab my wallet and do the same thing.

Anything this technology can do, we already have better technology to do the same task. Be authorized to open a door? Swipe a card or type a code. Log in to a computer? Spend six seconds doing that. Buy from a vending machine? Cash, card, or even phone RFID. None of those involve a medical procedure. There's even a similar/superior concept in which the chip in question is inside a ring you wear on your finger, which is 100% equal or better in every way.

5. FireSpartan5

FireSpartan5 Pokémon Professor

Zane
    (Genesect Egg)
    Level 5
    PokéPoints:
    ₽866.4
    Cooler Gary Oak ★★★★★Tapunium Z ★★★★★Choice Specs ★★★★★Flame Orb ★★★★★
    This just sounds stupid. People could abuse this tech pretty easily. Track your every move, disable stuff, and a lot more. Also the infection thing. Just seems like a horrible move.

6. Ethereal

Ethereal LV Lurker

Luigia
    (Lugia Egg)
    Level 12
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,311.7
    Thunder Stone ★★★Poké Doll ★★
    Uhhh, no thanks!
    What if someone hacked into it, or even worse, the government used it to track and monitor your every move. Yikes. Big NOPE. That's some Black Mirror shit right there

FireSpartan5 and Laserdragon14 like this.