1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Synthetic Evolution

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by SyWry, Dec 6, 2018.

1. SyWry

Legendary Egg
    (Rayquaza Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,606.1
    Its a wonderful day. Technology has graced us with wonderful mechanical inventions. You can now have a completely mechanical body that is far superior to your older body. You can also have mechanical parts added to your biological body that makes things superior. Here's the question, would you accept it? Do you want to have a fully mechanical body, or just certain parts mechanical? Which parts? Why? Would you want to look human or different, like tentacle arms?

Edit: The only way to connect to said mechanical augments is through physical contact, like a usb port (No external wifi/connectivity what so ever). These mechanical augments will basically just be like the original organic component, just cybordized and better.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #1 Dec 6, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
  2. Moonstruck-Mist

HoverBoots
    (Shaymin (Sky))
    Level 35
    PokéPoints:
    ₽544.9
    So, let's see what I would find great about cybernetic additions.
    1: Cyborgs are actually a thing that work fully and as they're meant to.
    2: Great things that are far superior to the human race.
    3: Literally anything else to do with robots.

So, in the end, my decision is a flat no. I like who I am, and I don't want to change that. And even when robotics are perfected, there's always the risk of a malfunction or failure that could lead to future problems for us. And that's not adding in how hacking would be made easier. So, as a human who's okay with who they are, I'd rather stay human than gain something that'd help me be better. It's human nature to fail, and I wouldn't trade that for anything else. There's always a bright light at the end of your tunnel.
    But, let's say I didn't have the choice to remain human. If I was forced to choose something into a robotic counterpart, it's probably be my eyes. I already have poor eyesight, so losing my eyes and gaining old sight would be kind of nice, though I would probably still wear glasses just for the nostalgia. In all, that's all I'd change if I absolutely had to.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero The second seal

Jeff
    (Spinarak)
    Level 19
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,869.8
    I could go for a few after-market parts to replace the parts of me that that are damaged beyond repair, but mostly I would prefer to keep my organic original body. With all the focus I've been putting lately into improving my DEX primary stat, it would feel like a waste to just choose a replacement for no effort. If I was in a life-threatening accident or left para/quad-plegic, I'd take the offer, but I'm not going to just get rid of parts of me that aren't broken.

I may voluntarily replace some of my sensory organs, now that I think of it. My hearing and touch are good, but I could go for having super eyes, as long as my eyes (at least one of them) still looks like my natural eyes, dark and soulful like a puppy's. Having the ability to zoom in or to overlay a hud or have thermal/night/IR vision would be really cool, as long as all of it is on airplane mode at all times. I want no external connectivity, period.

Question: what constitutes a synthetic upgrade or a cyborg? If I have a robotic arm connected to my nerves and brain, am I a cyborg? How about if I have a mechanical foot connected directly to the tendons in my calf with no electronics? How about computerized contact lenses? Normal contact lenses? Glasses? A walking stick? All of these are external additions to the human body that are semi-permanently relied upon by the human and which allow the human ability they would not otherwise have, and are low-tech things that fit a brief definition of cyborg. Your rocket leg is my walking stick, your zoom-lens eye is my glasses.

4. ShinigamiMiroku

Sorceress' Knight
    (Ralts ♂)
    Level 23
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,354.4
    Red Orb ★★★★★
    No.

See: Doc Oc.

5. RadEmpoleon

RadEmpoleon certified EPIC Gamer™

Bondo
    (Sobble)
    Level 11
    PokéPoints:
    ₽4,138.7
    Comet Shard ★★★★Poké Doll ★★
    Like Negative Zero said, I’d be fine with replacing maybe one or two parts of my body if they’re unable to be fixed. That’s about all of the “robotic” parts I would want.