1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Tense and Perspective

Discussion in 'Creative Zone' started by Mandriel, Jun 27, 2018.

1. Mandriel

Mandriel Valor Knight

Agravaine
    (Giratina Egg)
    Level 15
    PokéPoints:
    ₽34.9
    Red Orb ★★★★★Tapunium Z ★★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★Galladite ★★★★
    What tense do you prefer to write in? Past? Present? Is there anybody out there who writes in future tense? What about first, second or third person? Do you like to stick with one, or do you change it up depending on what you're writing?

I have a preference for third person and past tense, but I occasioanlly write in first person. I hardly ever write in a different tense, though.

How about you?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Vaquero

Vaquero Member of the Charicific Valley

King Crimson
    (Charizard)
    Level 41
    PokéPoints:
    ₽946.5
    I honestly have no clue at this point, I think I mostly use past though...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Owly

Owly Friend of the Eco, Foe of the System

Torako
    (Eevee (J))
    Level 9
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,981.7
    I switch it up a lot depending on the plot and characters. Third person past is generally my favorite, though I've done some first person past and a lot of first person present (mostly in RPs) as well. The one thing I refuse to write in is third person present, it's awful.

Mandriel likes this.
  4. Wolf Expert

Wolf Expert Canine Scholar

Wolf
    (Riolu)
    Level 24
    PokéPoints:
    ₽761.2
    Moon Ball ★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★Premier Ball ★Friend Ball ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★
    I write mostly in past tense, occasionally in present. I try to write in 3rd omniscient, but it's pretty difficult.

5. OzoneFruit

OzoneFruit Made The Arcadia Virus a Cute Anime Girl

Minior (Core Indigo)
    (Minior (Core Indigo))
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽788.4
    Lucky Punch ★★★★★Eject Button ★★★★Castelia Cone ★★★Leftovers ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★
    Usually third person for me, but I occasionally try for first. As for tense, usually past/present. :)

6. SyWry

Legendary Egg
    (Rayquaza Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,606.1
    I have a nasty habit in my drafts to switch between past and present tenses randomly. Its been something I've been trying to break since I started writing. However, I usually write either present or past depending on the story. I exclusively write first person because I feel like its more realistic then to have everything shown to the reader. I like to show the reader what my character sees rather than everything and I find it challenging to write entirely in first person as its harder to convey the ideas I want to show and I like that challenge.

7. BZRich64

BZRich64 The Mustachiod Machamp

Late For A Date
    (Bunnelby)
    Level 13
    PokéPoints:
    ₽6,644.3
    I pretty much only right in past tense. I also mostly write in third person limited, focusing on the perspective of only whichever character or characters are the focus of a scene. I have written in first person before and might do so more in the future, but I don't like it as much. I'm also thinking about trying to write something in second person just for a challenge, but I have no idea what I would actually write.

8. Gazi

Lilith
    (Litleo ♀)
    Level 9
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,871.2
    Dawn Stone ★★★★Legendary Triforce ★★Reaper Cloth ★★★
    When I first started writing, I mostly wrote in present tense. Now, I mostly use past tense. It's just easier to be consistent. I also usually write in third person, though I do try to have each chapter or section focused on just a single character.

9. Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero The second seal

Jeff
    (Spinarak)
    Level 19
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,869.8
    I've had that inconsistency problem too. One story I wrote I tried to have it all in first person past, but my inconsistency was bouncing between the first or third. So many times I re-read it and found more and more times I slipped into third. It was a struggle, so now I almost always default to third-past unless a character is telling a story, in which case I jump into their first-past perspective for that segment only.

With the time of tense, I rarely use present tense unless it's a high-action sequence. "She climbs over the ledge, sees him coming towards her. She drops, crouches, looks around for cover. There is none. Her heart sinks, but she takes a deep breath and prepares to fight." It's a bit more personal, more interactive, more... present. As for future tense? How would one even write a story of more than a few hundred words without being driven insane?

10. Grimwave

Grimwave Decepticon

Megatron
    (Beldum)
    Level 7
    PokéPoints:
    ₽153.2
    Dome Fossil ★★★Premier Ball ★Darkinum Z ★★★★Reaper Cloth ★★★Luxury Ball ★★★
    Mhm, 3rd person past tense as well. I never really liked writing in 1st person or present tense, they just feel so unnatural to write to me.

Mandriel likes this.