1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Thanksgiving meal

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by BiohazardSr, Nov 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BiohazardSr

BiohazardSr My name is Sid. Sid the Bard

PokéPoints:
    ₽71.6
    What are your plans for a thanksgiving meal? What do you traditionally do? Have you guys ever done something different? How much leftovers are typically left?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero The second seal

Jeff
    (Spinarak)
    Level 19
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,869.8
    Usually my family makes a big deal of Thanksgiving, and I'm glad. I for one can't stand the christmas shopping season, so it's my chance to say "eat, drink, and be merry; for tomorrow we die!"

We usually invite far-reaching extended family to our house, and it can get crowded, too crowded for my own tastes. Fortunately for my comfort on one day but unfortunately in the big picture, the number of attendees is shrinking lately for various reasons, so there's that too. I think this time my house may just have my immediate family, my soon to be sister-in-law, and maybe that's it. Of course we're going to have the same amount of food as ever, so I'll be eating turkey sandwiches and three kinds of pie for at least a week after.

Oh, and I'm on dish duty. Hooray.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. LadySmugleaf

LadySmugleaf Cries in Poetry

PokéPoints:
    ₽1,085.9
    Thanksgiving is a big deal. My sisters and I spend nearly all day cooking. We serve the traditional lay out qnd I get to cook the turkey.
    Leftover last anywhere between a day to over a week depending on how popular the dish was.

4. mweep

mweep The Roaming Legendary

PokéPoints:
    ₽21.3
    Well, we're Chinese so for Thanksgiving we do some weird stuff. Occasionally there's a duck instead of turkey(Both are so good), and usually I make a potatoes dish(mashed, baked, roasted, etc. I have a really good mashed potatoes recipe), and we buy some stuffing-bread cubes. I love cooking though, so I try some stuff every year.The bird get's roasted and we sit down to eat. It's usually only us(relatives in China), but we aren't anti-social. We host Christmas parties with friends over, usually

5. East

East Look to the Stars

PokéPoints:
    ₽742.2
    For thanksgiving, my family tends to do a mixture of meals--theirs and mine :P

Ever since I became vegetarian 2.5 years ago, I've made my own meals nearly every day. My family eats traditionally--with turkey, stuffing, green bean casserole--with a few family-twists like cheesy shredded potatoes (instead of mashed potatoes). I, on the other hand, have a vegetable loaf with plenty of mushroom gravy and green bean casserole, much to my own happiness.

This year, the family will have a TON of mashed potatoes (since that's usually the first thing we run out of every year), and I'll have my choice of one of 4 vegetable loaves that my mother and I bought at the store. Either way, I'm making my mouth water with hunger as we speak!

As for the leftovers, the turkey lasts about a week after the holiday, and all others are gone after a few days. Don't get the wrong idea, though. The turkey my family buys is huge. My veggie loaf and mushroom gravy lasts maybe a day or two after the holiday--I love them both more than you'd believe.

My family places a lot of emphasis on thanksgiving for the reason of giving thanks, it seems. It's not about the food; it's about appreciating the family we have. I have never been an overtly family oriented person, so when I was little, I wasn't very fond of thanksgiving (I didn't even like turkey, either!). However, as my family was broken apart and every family member began parting ways, it became more important for me to appreciate what I have and those that stayed with me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.