1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

TV / Movies The best cartoon dads!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Absolute Zero, Jun 21, 2020.

1. Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero The second seal

Jeff
    (Spinarak)
    Level 19
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,869.8
    Two of my favorite things are dads and cartoons. Another of my favorite things is dads in cartoons! Who are your favorite dads from cartoons? I may or may not be using your ideas of who the best dads are for personal research in improving myself...

So, I have two favorite cartoon dads who come to mind right now, and the first is Spike the Dog from old Tom and Jerry cartoons. Spike is the big bulldog who pays opposite to Tom and Jerry in some episodes, and who is almost always hanging out with his son Tyke. And Spike is always doing a great job of interactively teaching his son essential skills like being a good pet to a human, grilling, carpentry, and keeping that darn cat in line. And he is an incredibly fierce protector of his son! Any time Tyke is in danger (and since Tom is nearby, that's always), he comes down with great vengeance and furious anger upon those who would do harm to that pup! Seriously, he's the best dad of the entire mid-1900s at least.

My other favorite cartoon dad is Greg Universe, Steven Universe's dad. Real talk, I only got around to watching Season 1 of Steven Universe last year, and when I first met Greg I thought he was kind of a deadbeat bum. Of course his son lives with Greg's late wife's friends, all the man does is lay around at the car wash all day and get sunburned! Until I found out that literally his only shortcoming is that he can't support his son money-wise, and the reason he can't do that is because he's overflowing with love for his son and love for the world around him and love for life itself. He may not be the teacher or protector that Spike is, but his love makes him a great dad in a show that's pretty much about "moms are cool", and I wouldn't ask to change a single thing about him.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    RadEmpoleon and Jeydis like this.
  2. SyWry

Legendary Egg
    (Rayquaza Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,606.1
    Bondrewd Best Dad.

I really don't take into account the fathers of series so I may not remember everything but I do agree that Greg was a really good dad to Steven in the series. This may not be animated, but I liked Giovanni in the manga. He apparently in the manga made the entire team rocket evil crime syndicate just to find his lost son silver. When he finally got to meet his son though, he tore off all the gody robes his subordinates put on him and later he even saved him from a fire, putting himself before his son. Unfortunately they didn't have a lot of other interaction, but I really liked the arc that they had for him.

Also Bondrewd Best Dad.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Gazi

Lilith
    (Litleo ♀)
    Level 9
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,871.2
    Dawn Stone ★★★★Legendary Triforce ★★Reaper Cloth ★★★
    These guys probably wouldn't qualify as 'best' dads, as they're obviously incredibly flawed, but two of my favorite cartoon dads are Fred Jones Sr. from Scooby Doo Mystery Incorporated, and Normon Osborn from the Spectacular Spiderman cartoon. These two men are incredibly similar. They're selfish, greedy, and are clearly supposed to be villains, and they are, but at least for me, I can tell how much they care about their sons. Fred Jones Sr. is obsessed with finding treasure, but he risks his chance of getting away and getting that treasure to save his son's life. And throughout the series, he's being manipulated by an evil entity that he doesn't even know about. Putting someone else before your own desperate desires is hard, but even more so when you're being influenced by something else.

With the case of Normon Osborn, it's a little less clear that he cares about his son. Normon has his own nefarious plans, and he does frame his son for his crimes. However, Normon has a lot of enemies, and if he really wanted to get away with his crimes as the Green Goblin, he would have allowed the information that Harry was the Green Goblin (though he wasn't) to become public knowledge. Instead, he arranges to keep this information secret, and also has Harry go get treatment for his addiction. Normon still puts his desires first in the show, but a lot like Fred Jones Sr. he's being influenced heavily by something else that it clouding his judgement. In Normon's case, it's a serum that caused some mental issues that he doesn't even know about.

Like I said, these two are far from perfect dads. It can be argued that they're quite horrible and really neglectful, but I somehow find them really relatable and a little bit fascinating.

I love Greg Universe though. He's the first guy I thought of when I saw this post.

4. Absolute Zero

Jeff
    (Spinarak)
    Level 19
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,869.8
    No! I just finished the arc with Bondrewd last week and no no no! Worst dad ever! He only pretends, and does a great job of pretending, but he only pretends! Don't believe Bondrewd's traumatizing lies! Irredeemable!

However, Giovanni, I never saw that side to him. I think his connection to Silver (or any family at all) only came up momentarily in the games as an event in HGSS, so anything outside of that I would be entirely unfamiliar with. I am pleased to see a villain who is a father not turn out to be a dirtbag. Comparing him to Handsome Jack, another worst dad, who honestly believes he is being protective of his daughter, truly is still a terrible person through-and-through. So much good content in the mangas we don't get to see in the games.

I'm separately reminded now of Uncle Iroh from Avatar TLA. Even though we don't get to see him and his son interact very much, he's a better dad to Zuko than Ozai ever was. As royalty in a culture steep with nationalistic pride and honor, he still loves his nephew more than he is loyal to his nation. He loves his nephew as he is, with his flaws and his mistakes and his sins and his strengths, and though he embraces Zuko and all his bad, he never stops cultivating him to be the glorious prince he was destined to be.

SyWry likes this.
  5. SyWry

Legendary Egg
    (Rayquaza Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,606.1
    Oya oya oya its the meme

The manga is usually written after the games come out. At least the older manga, they were the better ones anyways.

Its really hard to beat Uncle Iroh. If I had to come up with another good dad is from Phineas and Ferb. Phineas and Ferb's dad (who I cannot remember the name), was always a really chill guy who didn't really mind all the wacky nonsense that Phineas and Ferb were doing. He also liked to go with the flow and his general calm energy really helped in his accepting of his sons and supporting of their wild creations.

6. Flyg0n

Flyg0n PKMN Breeder

Mojave
    (Trapinch)
    Level 33
    PokéPoints:
    ₽365.8
    Mufasa is definitely on the best cartoon dads list. Always kind and patient, and doing whatever it takes to protect his son.

And Marlin, from Finding Nemo. Misguided a bit, but can you blame him? He loved his son.

Absolute Zero likes this.
  7. Absolute Zero

Jeff
    (Spinarak)
    Level 19
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,869.8
    When I was little, I thought Mufasa was kind of mean for shouting raising his voice at Simba once or twice, but now that I'm older I see very clearly that Mufasa was not being mean. Simba was reckless and endangering his own life, and Mufasa just needed to channel the power of James Earl Jones to tell Simba that it was not okay to be risky like that. Really props to him, and Marlin is as hard-working as Batman is, and stopped at nothing to keep his son safe! The only way he could have done more would be if he hunted the barracuda down directly and got revenge! But this is Pixar, not Punisher, and that's just fine with me.