1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

The Five Senses

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Wizard, Jan 12, 2019.

1. Wizard

Wizard Do you feel it? The moon's power!

Cupidueye
    (Decidueye (Cupid))
    Level 113
    PokéPoints:
    ₽9,269.2
    Many people agree that there are five basic sense: sight, hearing, smell, taste, and touch. (I'm not here to argue about that with you, if you feel differently). These five categories cover a lot of experiences we can have.

Which of these senses do you feel is your personal strongest? Which one do you think is the most important? The least important?

My eyesight has always been pretty great, but I think my sense of touch is good (nobody has told me otherwise ;)). As for most important, I might say sense of touch is crucial. Could you imagine living without being able to physically feel anything with your body? It would be absurd, imo. The least important one for me is smell. My sense of smell is almost non-existant anyways due to my breathing issues (YEEE-HAWWW SINUSITIS).

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Moonstruck-Mist

HoverBoots
    (Shaymin (Sky))
    Level 35
    PokéPoints:
    ₽544.9
    My sense of hearing. With my sight at a minimum, my scent down a few notches, and my sensitivity to physical stimuli somewhat numbed, I'd say my knack for hearing is my highest and most important sense. While I am easily startled, sound reaches you before your eyes can comprehend danger, and so I believe it is a lot more important for me.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. FireSpartan5

FireSpartan5 Pokémon Professor

Zane
    (Genesect Egg)
    Level 5
    PokéPoints:
    ₽866.4
    Cooler Gary Oak ★★★★★Tapunium Z ★★★★★Choice Specs ★★★★★Flame Orb ★★★★★
    My strongest sense is taste. If you put a single flake of pepper in a bowl full of Mac and Cheese, I would taste it and say it was too much pepper. I also have perfect vision, but that's somewhat common. The taste thing is likely a side effect of my Asperger's. As for most important, I would say touch, with sight as a very close second. Without the sense of touch, you could burn your entire body and not even realize that you are literally about to die.

4. Laserdragon14

Laserdragon14 Dragon Maverick

Falchion
    (Honedge)
    Level 22
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,429.1
    Flame Orb ★★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★Poké Ball ★Trainer Card - Cave Theme
    My sense of sight is probably my best one with hearing as a close second, but I sometimes wish that my sense of taste was gone so that I could eat things that are actually good for you and actually like it. Anyway, I would say that either the sense of sight or hearing are the most important since without one you will have a pretty difficult life where you have to learn how to communicate/coordinate in ways that a normal person wouldn't have to do.

5. Dawn

Dawn La vie est drôle

Cresselia
    (Cresselia)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,104.6
    My strongest sense is probably my hearing. Although it is also my most selective sense - I can filter sound quite well. Most sounds, anyway. Something like a dripping sound I can't filter at all and it'll drive me absolutely insane. But I am quite good at picking out sounds.

Sight is most important to me. Going blind is one of my greatest fears and honestly I'd rather be dead than blind; it's not something I could ever get used to or would want to get used to, and I rely on my eyes the most to do things I enjoy. Least important, and one I wish I didn't have at all, is taste. My life would be so much easier if I couldn't taste anything.

Smell and touch are two I don't really think about. Smell and taste go hand-in-hand so I'd be fine with losing my sense of smell if it meant I could get rid of my sense of taste, and touch...well, I suppose it's necessary, but again, I've never really thought about it. It's probably the one I take for granted the most.

6. Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero The second seal

Jeff
    (Spinarak)
    Level 19
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,869.8
    I'd say there are more than five senses. For example: what sense does a headache effect? You can't hear/see/taste/smell it, and that leaves touch, but you aren't tactile-ly touching anything; it's an entirely separate perception. I also say that rod vision and cone vision are two separate senses that work together, as well as balance/gravity being its own, and passage of time, and maybe even touch being subdivided by the structures within the skin that sense different sensations, such as temperature or pressure.

Anyway. My sight is in 240p without glasses, and my sense of smell might be rated similar. My hearing and touch are pretty sensitive: I can feel large vehicles driving outside, I can feel loud sounds in my ribcage, and I can hear my name whispered down the hall through a closed door. I just don't tell many people about this: it's often better to have one's superpowers not be known.

7. Gazi

Lilith
    (Litleo ♀)
    Level 9
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,871.2
    Dawn Stone ★★★★Legendary Triforce ★★Reaper Cloth ★★★
    I was going to say that the most important for me is sight, because, you know, vision is awesome, but then I remembered that I'm currently listening to a song that I've listened to dozens of times in the past three days, and that listening to music is the one thing grounding me and keeping me from becoming an anxious crying little mess, so, yeah, hearing is the most important for me. I think that depending on my mood, my strongest sense changes between hearing and smell (at least, those are the ones where I experience sensory overload with sometimes). Of the five senses, I think that taste is the one that is the least important to me.

8. SyWry

Legendary Egg
    (Rayquaza Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,606.1
    Funny you should mention the senses. Amongst a whole host of other problems, all of my senses are heightened beyond belief, and no its not as good as you may think. All of my senses are so sensitive that my brain has a hard time processing it all and if things aren't "quiet" (quiet referring to all senses) then I slowly become fatigued and I tune out of what evers going on. Also, I can never ignore anything, it all usually too powerful to ignore and loud rooms (like conventions) become nothing but a deafening room of mindless chatter. I usually have to spend my time alone in a quiet room to function without being distracted as even the slightest noises from someone shifting next to me will pull my focus on that person. And don't get me started on the sensory enhancements that come from a migraine, their not fun. I've developed coping mechanisms, but I will say for most of my life, my senses have cause me a lot of harm.

As for my most predominate sense, I'd say it have to be my hearing. I'm always listening, even when I don't want to. I can hear loud noise made across an entire building if there's no other noises in the way and I can hear smaller noises from a far distance as well. When everything is quiet, I can detect anyone from just listening. No one has yet to sneak up on me.

What I'd consider most important to me is well hearing as well. Losing your sight is bad, and I never want to lose it, but I feel that with me, I'm prefer losing my eyes over my ears. I've always been more sensitive to my hearing and I feel like I'm a little more dependent on my hearing than I am my sight. Also, I have eye problems, so that helps my decision (my eyes are 20 20 btw, the actual problem is much more complicated and if you want an answer, go to my Q and A).

The sense I would probably think is the least important is taste. While smell is pretty low, I do use it a lot to figure out the air quality and whether to hold my breath to protect myself so it has its uses. Taste however, isn't something I'm a big fan of and has no real practical implication other than, it tastes good.