1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Xbox The Future of Xbox

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Wizard, Nov 2, 2019.

1. Wizard

Wizard Do you feel it? The moon's power!

Cupidueye
    (Decidueye (Cupid))
    Level 113
    PokéPoints:
    ₽9,269.2
    The Xbox One is a fun console. I've put well over one hundred hours onto the one my family has. I love the UI and controller better than the PS4. Here's the kicker:

All of those hours were on games that were on other platforms as well. It's no secret that Microsoft's exclusives have been spotty for this console generation, leading the Playstation 4 to massacre the Xbox One in total sales. The Xbox seems to be becoming more of the "I have it because my friends have it" console than the juggernaut that was the Xbox 360 (granted, some of that success could be attested to the mistakes made in designing the PS3).

With the new Xbox likely coming in Holiday 2020, a few questions arise:

-Will you be buying the next Xbox?

-What would Microsoft have to do to make the console worth getting for you?

-Should Microsoft continue making consoles?

I'm interested to see your responses. I'll likely add my input later.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    PoserPanda likes this.
  2. BZRich64

BZRich64 The Mustachiod Machamp

Late For A Date
    (Bunnelby)
    Level 13
    PokéPoints:
    ₽6,644.3
    I've never had any interest in getting an XBOX and still don't see the point. Basically the only thing that Microsoft could do to make me want to own their console would be to buy out Nintendo. Considering how that went last time they tried, I don't think that will be happening. I'm a Nintendo fan first and foremost and the games I want to get that aren't on Nintendo systems are available on the Playstation, so I've never had any need for an XBOX and it doesn't look like will ever be changing.
    And as far as I'm concerned, the only reason I don't want Microsoft to stop supporting the XBOX line is because it means that Nintendo and Sony have a bit more competition. Monopolization is a bad thing and the more companies have to compete for the market, the better it will end up for customers.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. PoserPanda

SS EGG 2
    (Giratina Egg (Altered))
    Level 74
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,173.3
    Trainer Card - Cave Theme
    My Xbox is because my husband and friends want to play, and the 1X can usually be found in thrift stores. With how little one person can pay for Gold, and then on top of that, your friends can use your xbox to sign in and get access to your Gold, or Game Pass for free. I'm not explaining it very well, but it is like sharing your Steam library with other people. Honestly I'm not the least bit interested in getting a "better" Xbox, since the best that can happen is that the graphics will be boosted. Since I can't tell the difference between thirty and sixty frames per second, I highly doubt this better console will make me want to buy it. Even if the graphics are like looking at a comparison between Halo 1 and Halo 4, I wouldn't buy it. The 1X (Which is a stupid name.) would have to be out-moded for me to even consider another new console. On top of that, I would have to lose access to the games that I have already bought and downloaded. Which probably isn't going to happen. So once I complete all of those games, I will be satisfied with my console's death.

But who cares about Xbox when Ring Fit Adventures is out?
    And Luigi's Mansion 3 Haunted Vacation is out as well?

4. Dawn

Dawn La vie est drôle

Cresselia
    (Cresselia)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,104.6
    Microsoft is lacking something very crucial for me: JRPGs. Or even RPGs. The whole reason I got a 360 initially, asides from the outrageous price of the PS3 at the time, was because it had Tales of Vesperia, Star Ocean: The Last Hope, Eternal Sonata, Infinite Undiscovery, Magna Carta 2, Lost Odyssey, etc...a lot of those weren't worth playing, but the point is, my interest is primarily in RPGs/JRPGs, and the Xbox is a barren wasteland when it comes to the latter, and lacks exclusives of the former. The stereotype that Xbox is basically for FPS titles is one that still stands strong, because honestly the only exclusives I can think of that Microsoft has are Halo and Gears of War...and Halo is on PC now. Derp. Add that Microsoft is losing exclusives like Cuphead and Ori to Nintendo, and it doesn't make their console particularly appealing.

I don't think Microsoft should continue to make consoles because, really, they have no niche in the market. Sony are pumping out one amazing exclusive after another on top of the multi-platform titles that they share with Microsoft, and Nintendo are unassailable thanks to their IPs and brand recognition, especially in Japan. They can't compete with Sony, they can't compete with Nintendo. They really would be better off going the way of Sega and focusing their attention on game development. I'm amazed they've managed to hold on for this long. When people talk about the console market dying out, I think what they REALLY mean are Microsoft being booted out of it.

THAT SAID, I have actually been off-and-on tempted by the Xbone recently for one very surprising reason - the Game Pass. This is something that Sony and Nintendo should be doing with their legacy content, Nintendo especially...and they make current titles available too! I was quite shocked to learn that The Outer Worlds was available through Game Pass, and when I looked through the catalogue of titles online I was VERY impressed by the variety and the quality on offer. This is a service that costs the same as Netflix each month and offers a respectable service. Unlike PS+, which has dialled right back on the games it offers, and NSO, which is basically Nintendo spitting in the faces of its consumers. Game Pass is exactly what I want to see from consoles, and if the Xbone was cheaper I would seriously consider purchasing one for this alone. I may even buy one second hand in the near future if I can find it for under £75.

I will be getting a PS5, because it'll be backwards compatible and I have a huge library of PS titles at this point. I can't honestly think of anything that Microsoft could realistically do to convince me to buy their next console. It'd have to be half the price of PS5, they'd need to slash the price of the Game Pass and XboxLive by at least half, and secure several exclusive JRPGs. I am very firmly settled on Sony and Nintendo and I'd need A LOT from Microsoft to change that.

But then, it's sad that with the Game Pass, they treat their consumers better than both Sony and Nintendo do. So maybe it's more about how they act rather than how Microsoft acts, because as things stand right now, if I were entering the market for the first time, I would be very tempted by that Game Pass.

Wizard likes this.
  5. Katanaeyegaming

Katanaeyegaming #FEARTHEWYVERN

Darklit
    (Liepard)
    Level 44
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,810.3
    Poké Ball ★Potion ★Oran Berry ★★Thunder Stone ★★★Helix Fossil ★★★
    I'll be honest and say that while at some point I may get a new Xbox I have no faith in them as consoles and haven't since the 360 era.

But that will be a far out thing anyways if it is to happen