1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

The good, the bad, the ugly: Gen III

Discussion in 'Other Pokémon Games' started by Halcyon Storm, Dec 7, 2017.

1. Halcyon Storm

Halcyon Storm Joking motive

Sewaddle
    (Sewaddle)
    Level 11
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,463.8
    [​IMG]

With the introduction of the GBA, a new generation of Pokémon was right around the corner. This time exploring the water-heavy Hoenn region, again with a whole new story, and a set of new monsters to add to your collection. But now it's time to take a critical look at this trilogy of games. What was exceptionally good about the third generation? What was bad about it? What made it special? Don't be afraid to mix in your own opinion, but try to keep an objective view as well!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. VictoryStar34

SS Egg #1
    (Lugia Egg)
    Level 22
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,103.5
    Mewnium Z  ★★★★★Choice Specs ★★★★★Legendary Triforce ★★Deep Sea Scale ★★★Rage Candy Bar ★★★
    Exceptionally good: Story. the story was good.
    Bad: 7.8/10 by IGN: Too much water
    Special: I don't know...Uh...legendaries?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. JellyBunnyBeans!

JellyBunnyBeans! PKMN Breeder

Cuti
    (Dialga Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽360.3
    The good: Two villainous teams
    The bad: Certain areas were quite tedious to catch all the Pokémon in
    The Ugly? All that water

4. ShinigamiMiroku

Sorceress' Knight
    (Ralts ♂)
    Level 23
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,354.4
    Red Orb ★★★★★
    The good: the story (especially in Emerald, which had you going against BOTH teams)
    The bad: balance of types is not the best (despite it makes sense)
    The ugly: Juan
    The special: the Pokémon

5. Jakk

Jakk Hiker

PokéPoints:
    ₽125.5
    You forgot about FireRed and LeafGreen

6. Junkrat

Junkrat Demolitions Expert

Articuno Egg
    (Articuno Egg)
    Level 6
    PokéPoints:
    ₽571.7
    Park Ball ★★★
    The good: Although I'm not a fan of Gen III, the contrast of the villain teams was actually pretty genius. Archie and Maxie were both great villains who really mad me think about what would be better for the Pokémon- expand the lands, or the seas? Really made me think.

The bad: I honestly think Hoenn had some of the most underwhelming and forgettable Pokémon. While playing Alpha Sapphire, trying to put together a team of Pokémon I actually liked was pretty difficult.

The ugly: Hoenn's design is awful. A Pokémon needing Surf just to continue the game was pretty annoying, especially since there wasn't a lot of good water types even though like half the region is water. And the 'land' Pokémon that could learn Surf usually had abysmal special attack, so it wasn't worth teaching the HM and wasting a slot.

The special: Wallace

7. Morgaine

Morgaine Goddess of Shinies

Bolero
    (Litleo ♀)
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽5.7
    Crown of ValorSoothe Bell ★Heart Scale ★★Ice Stone ★★★★
    Good: The teams actually had some bite to them and they were terrifying at times, especially in Emerald.
    Bad: Surfing through almost half of the region. IT was simply too much to keep a handle on.
    Ugly: Castform
    Special: First time we had two official champions in one region.

8. Beffie

Beffie clear your cache

beautiful and perfect
    (Feebas)
    Level 36
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,170.2
    Crown of ValorDawn Stone ★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★Gardevoirite ★★★★Cooler Gary Oak ★★★★★
    Time to overanalyze!!

The Good: I loved the concept of two villain teams, especially with the main threat team changing with versions in the first two games and during the course of the story in Emerald. Double battles being introduced was also a very good thing I loved!!

The Bad: Despite having varied atmospheres for routes, some early and later routes felt like an absolute slog to play through. Was it because Hoenn is too large? Too bland? Also didn't really dig the whole Pokédex for this generation, has some of the most "meh" Pokémon in the series.

The Ugly: I like water. I really do. But half of Hoenn being water was just plain ugly in terms of design. And if we're talking about actual ugly, I could do without 90% of the Gym Leader and Elite 4 designs. Someone was drunk when they made those.

The Special: Wallace. He's something special all right...

9. Skittle

Skittle daijoubu

Swablu
    (Swablu)
    Level 24
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,602.3
    Comet Shard ★★★★Dawn Stone ★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★Galladite ★★★★Whipped Dream ★★★★
    The Good: Like most people, I'm going to say that the concept of two villainous teams with the villains switching between games was genius and a double threat in Emerald. Some of the routes having new environments (taller grass, rain, drought) was a good way to show off the new weather system. And Contests! Specifically in the Hoenn remakes, Wally was a great character. Even in the originals, he's a friendly rival that can really pack a punch. Steven was also this way, we finally have a champion that has a life outside the League! That rocks.

...get it?

The Bad: Minor nitpick, but this is the first game with running and you can't even run in buildings. How many of you were polite little angels and walked in every indoor area when you were ten? The first half of the game also drags like hell, it feels like forever to get through. The Pokémon League has a really sharp level curve as well, which means that you would have to be overpowered to beat the first E4 member but barely get by the champion.

The Ugly: 7.8/10, too much water. Unlike others, I really liked the design of Hoenn and how it's half water and land to reflect the lore behind the region, but for god's sake that's a lot of surfing. Bring your repels.

The Special: these games have a specific timeline. Apparently Steven leaves to pursue his dreams of collecting rocks in a dark hole, then Wallace fills in while his mentor (and one of my faves, fight me) fills in for Wallace. Actually, these games have two timelines because ORAS kinda fucked everything up. But that's what makes Hoenn special, right? RIGHT?

Anyway, I felt that these were the start of third games (Platinum, BW2) introducing timelines between their games that make then feel new. Nice.

10. SyWry

Legendary Egg
    (Rayquaza Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,606.1
    Good: I loved the story, especially in emerald. It is hands down one of the best things about these games. The villains were so different and unlike any future games.

The Bad: Water water, where is the water? Everywhere! I loved the idea that the land was half water and half land but come on, lower encounter rates and make it so we don't have to use HMs then. It is easily one of my biggest complaints.

The Ugly: Double team. Nothing more needs to be said.

11. That Weirdd Guy

That Weirdd Guy PKMN Breeder

Buddy
    (Sableye)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽27.4
    The Good: The Pokémon added, Natures and Abilities added. The villains felt unique, dynamically changed the environment, and almost won! There were secrets felt real, the braille code was fun and all the random Pokémon/moves to open secrets was amazing.

The Bad: The leveling curve for the elite 4 for R/S was rough, and 50/50 water was rough.

The Ugly: No real post game in R/S.

12. LostSpirit

Odd-ish
    (Oddish (J))
    Level 21
    PokéPoints:
    ₽995.7
    The Good: I quite enjoyed the story, especially with the beautiful Rayquaza cutscene from Pokémon Emerald. I thought it was interesting to see the contrast between the two villainous teams duking it out to get the world filled with water or filled with land. I loved that I had a dad (lol) and the connection that the characters had to each other such as the various family ties.

The Bad: The lack of post-game material in Ruby and Sapphire was a real drag to the game. Sure you could catch every Pokémon in the game, but there were few memorable Pokémon to make it worthwhile.

The Ugly: The games are slow-paced, literally. I want to be able to run to Nurse Joy and in buildings. Don't get me started on Fire Red, where the running shoes don't even show up until you beat the first gym leader.

13. Palamon

Palamon Silence is Purple

Guren
    (Azelf)
    Level 2
    PokéPoints:
    ₽47.1
    The good: pretty much all of the Hoenn games, oh and bringing back animated sprites in Emerald. Good idea.

The bad: The internal battery has run dry. The game can still be played. However, clock based events will no longer occur. By a longshot.

The ugly: ................ Nothing.

14. guest

PokéPoints:
    ₽723.0
    Gen III was my introduction to Pokémon so I can't compare against the earlier games unfortunately!

The good: The dynamic of the player vs Aqua vs Magma was definitely interesting, especially in Emerald! The mystery of the second villain team was cool in Sapphire/Ruby too, given that they suddenly appear mid-game to little fanfare. Having your father be a gym leader was interesting too, defeating him felt better than the random people that acted as other gym leaders. The dive feature was also interesting, as well as the unique puzzle systems of the legendary titans.
    The music in generation III was great! The introduction of double battles is also a positive overall that has continued throughout the series.

The contest format was good, as well as making pokeblocks! It was a lot of fun but left voluntary so uninterested players weren't forced through it.

The bad: I don't think the amount of water in gen III is a bad thing given that it's meant to be based on Kyushu and the smaller accompanying islands but the water routes could have used more variation. The use of strong current tiles in some routes is a good example of it. Maybe areas with mangroves or something? I feel like there would be fewer complaints if there was more distinction between routes and landmarks in the water areas.
    As interesting as the titans' puzzles are, they're so convoluted in comparison to other elements in the game that I would've be surprised if most gave up or didn't know about the procedure without searching guides.

The ugly: The complete lack of interaction of the gym leaders and the overall plot of the games. The majority of them offer up nothing more than being milestones which seems like a complete waste. The Devon researcher has more relevance to the plot than Roxanne does which is bizarre given that she's meant to be a powerful, respected trainer.

15. colours

colours » seedFLARE

Larvitar
    (Larvitar)
    Level 78
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,982.2
    Friend Ball ★★★★Dawn Stone ★★★★Leaf Stone ★★★Grassium Z ★★★★Waterium Z ★★★★
    The Good:

This is where Pokémon designs finally get interesting! It can be argued that Gen III definitely has some... unique and creative Pokémon designs that take a massive turn from what we used to see in Gen I and II, and I don't think that's a bad thing in the slightest. This generation marked the change of where Pokémon became less... boring design-wise and more creative, i think. I mean, look at Ludicolo!

Diving is enjoyable and something I wish would make a return in future generations. ORAS proved just how amazing diving can look with the right graphics but seeing as it's a Gen III remake, its return was expected. Aside from that though, Game Freak never really brought it back for any other generation, which was a massive shame (aside from maybe Gen V? I don't really count that, though).

The fact that this is also the first generation that actually introduces the protagonists' father is also interesting and something that should be done more, but eh.

Gen III also has the best and most enjoyable Pokémon Contests. They were the only ones I really participated in because later iterations of contests (especially in Gen V) kind of ruined it for me.

The Bad:

I feel like, if I were to replay Emerald as of right now, I couldn't really bring myself to. This is because I don't think RSE have aged well at all. Then again, I'm someone who was far used to playing things like Pokémon Colosseum during the glory days of Gen III, so this can also factor into why I think this way.

The Ugly:

Tentacool/Wingull while surfing every five seconds is really freaking annoying. Wouldn't have minded long surfing journies if I could see more variety of water types while surfing other than those two.

16. U44151

U44151 Sailor

Legendary Egg
    (Groudon Egg)
    Level 10
    PokéPoints:
    ₽196.0
    the good:2 enemy teams,2 big legendary Pokémon and a keeper of peace-the kyogre groudon fight is epic
    the bad:too much gad damn water for real ffs,gotta side with IGN on this one sorry
    the ugly:shroomish

17. OzoneFruit

OzoneFruit Made The Arcadia Virus a Cute Anime Girl

Minior (Core Indigo)
    (Minior (Core Indigo))
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽788.4
    Lucky Punch ★★★★★Eject Button ★★★★Castelia Cone ★★★Leftovers ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★
    The good: Beautiful overall soundtrack and some badass Pokémon designs. None of the starters overshadowed another really; all are actually pretty darn popular. Also, it introduced Deoxys, my favorite Pokémon of all time.

The bad: Nothing Gen 3 is perfect fite me :U Uhhh, I guess the surfing WAS a bit tedious, but I didn't mind it too much. Although all the freaking Tentacools on the water... Ugh

The ugly: I wish the Gym Leaders apart from your Dad got a bit more depth. They just felt kinda there.

ShinigamiMiroku likes this.
  18. Hraesvelgr

Hraesvelgr Snek in Your Boot

Zapdos Egg
    (Zapdos Egg)
    Level 21
    PokéPoints:
    ₽11,794.7
    Trainer Card - Cave ThemeDragon Fang ★★★★Philosopher's CowlWater Stone ★★★Great Ball ★★
    Good: The story and the expanded bits in Emerald just made it better.
    Bad: Too many water routes right after each other it is too much especially if you play nuzlockes where you get what feels like 10+ water types most being the same one, they really should have spread that out a little more.
    The ugly: Getting dogpiled by a million tentacool while trying to get to your next destination after you've gotten the sixth badge.

19. Fizzysoda

Fizzysoda Valor Lake Cryptid

(Jirachi Egg)
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,390.9
    Soda Pop ★Reaper Cloth ★★★Amulet Coin ★★★
    The good:
    + Fun "secrets" such as the Regi tombs, Feebas, berry master phrases, certain items needed to obtain pre-evolutions (Wynaut, Azurill)
    + Battle Frontier
    + The weird rumors that some of us believed as kids (you can go to space and fight deoxys!!!11 that white rock at Mossdeep has something to do with Jirachi!!)
    + Good 'mon designs
    + Underwater exploration
    + Emerald's animated sprites
    + Acro bike
    + Secret bases

The bad:
    - The Battle Frontier facilities don't set your Pokémon to Lv.50 and if they are over Lv.50, they can't enter so you had to either drop them or train them to Lv.100
    - Team Aqua & Magma
    - Water routes get very tedious with Tentacool and Wingull encounters every 5 seconds
    - Without the Battle Frontier, you're left with no reason to train your Pokémon at all post-game

Ugly? Umm... I gotta say some of the Gen I & II Pokémon sprites in RSE look kinda ugly and weird. They look much better in FR/LG, though.

20. CharlieWeasleyfan

Shiny Roggenrola
    (Roggenrola)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽201.2
    Trainer Card - Cave ThemeRocky Helmet ★★★★★Staff of VerityExp. Share ★★
    The good: The teams and their contrast. I liked how I had to figure out what Pokémon I'd need for the grunts or for Archie and Maxie.

The bad: Encountering wingull or Tentacool as you surfed every 10 seconds

The ugly: Just some minor things like trying to go out of Oldale town early to be ready to fight Brendan/May