1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Event The Great LV Region Creation Project Announcement & Discussion

Discussion in 'LV Fan Region: Meroi' started by BZRich64, Nov 7, 2020.

1. BZRich64

BZRich64 The Mustachiod Machamp

Late For A Date
    (Bunnelby)
    Level 14
    PokéPoints:
    ₽6,927.3
    The Great Lake Valor Region Creation Project!

Greetings, Lake Valor! As you likely aware, the world of Pokémon is divided into many different regions filled with all kinds of people, places and of course Pokémon. I was in an argument with Arceus the other day (long story) and I ended up making a bet with the creator of the Pokémon world that we, the people of Lake Valor, would be able to make our own region if we wanted to. It probably wasn't fair for me to speak for all of you, but here we are.

This will be a massive, multi-stage project that anyone can contribute to if you want to, regardless of where your skill-set lies. Artists, writers, mapmakers, competitive Pokémon; you name it and we'll need it. Also keep in mind that while I will be overseeing this entire project, my goal is merely to make sure things progress as smoothly as possible. All of the actual creative decisions will be made by all of you working together. What could possibly go wrong?

Step 1: Designing the Region
    We'll start building our new region by... building the region. More specifically, we're going to start by working together to create the layout of the region, fill it with towns, routes and other areas, decide what themes we want our region to revolve around and, of course, give a name to the region.
    Step 2: Filling the Pokédex
    Once we've designed the region itself, we'll get to work on filling it up with various Pokémon. This will include both deciding what Pokémon from other regions can be found in ours, as well as creating a slew of new Pokémon unique to our region (including starters, legendaries, etc.).
    Step 3: Populating the Region
    What good is a region if there's no one around to live there? The next step of creating our region by creating the people to live there. This includes the Gym Leaders, Champion, some kind of villainous organization and the regional Professor. Don't forget the Pokémon trainers, either, including protagonists to have adventures across the region and rivals for them to face along the way.
    Step 4: Build a Story
    The final part of quest to make our own region will be to craft a narrative for the setting, following a plucky young trainer as they travel around, challenging the Pokémon League and saving the region from evil along the way.

Keep in mind that these are tentative steps and that things may change along the way depending on how everyone wants to do things. Fortunately, Arceus never gave us a deadline, but we should try and maintain steady progress as we go. Further detail will be provided as we get started but for now please feel free to leave your thoughts on suggestions about the project.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. ChocoChicken

Krysmus Azelv (lol)
    (Krysmus Azelv)
    Level 34
    PokéPoints:
    ₽10,262.1
    Misty's EmblemLegendary Triforce ★★
    Question: Has a region... uh... region been decided beforehand? Like how Kalos is Paris/France, Unova is New York/America, and so on. All of us are from different places all around the world and we all have our own experiences and views on every country ever. Unless our nation is the Internet.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Captain Comet

Captain Comet Fallen Star Baby

Shiny Space
    (Palkia Egg)
    Level 27
    PokéPoints:
    ₽4,549.0
    Basic Gary Oak ★Rage Candy Bar ★★★Jaw Fossil ★★★Galladite ★★★★
    This excites me despite my lack of a creative outlet. So because of that, I'll start out with just a suggestion for what the region could be based off of.

Ahem.

I've always loved the idea of a region based off the American west coast, specifically California. The area is just so incredibly diverse both geographically and in terms of culture and wildlife. Obviously this would translate to towns and locations based off San Fransisco, Los Angeles, and Muir Woods, and depending on how far this goes, maybe Seattle or Area 51.

This also opens up the possibility of connecting to Unova somehow, but that'll probably just complicate things so we don't need to focus on that. Just a small idea there.

Because of the redwoods forests in the region, the professor could easily be named after a spruce tree. That's all I have on that.

I have a lot of ideas for Pokémon that I'm come up with over the years, but I'm going to have to remember them for one, and figure out how to translate them to people who can actually draw them.

4. BZRich64

BZRich64 The Mustachiod Machamp

Late For A Date
    (Bunnelby)
    Level 14
    PokéPoints:
    ₽6,927.3
    Nope, that'll be the first thing that we'll have to decide on. This project is meant to be a community effort from start to finish!

Cherry3Fairy likes this.
  5. Shadria

Shadria Impish Illusionary Kitsune

Lucan
    (Ralts ♂)
    Level 6
    PokéPoints:
    ₽501.7
    Black Glasses ★★★★Friend Ball ★★★★Park Ball ★★★Helix Fossil ★★★Sun Stone ★★★
    #CannonizeWippor 0w0
    I can totally change up lore and stuff to fit our final region. How bout mythical status? perhaps it's looked to as a prankster spirit but no one truly knows its motive or end goal. some think it's adorable, others fear its potential..

ChocoChicken likes this.
  6. Cherry3Fairy

Kantoni
    (Eevee (K))
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,063.7
    Black Glasses ★★★★Red Orb ★★★★★Water Stone ★★★Deep Sea Scale ★★★
    Wow, this is some big project.
    (I'll probably keep adding to this post whenever a potentially fun idea crosses my mind.)
    Region:
    We could design our region in a way that, from above angle, it sorta looks like one main rare/mythical/legendary Pokémon that we'll create.

Pokémon:
    We could add a whole new Pokémon type to the 18 already existing ones.
    We could add another eeveelution. A ghost type would be cool.
    Usually the starter Pokémon types are grass, water and fire. We could change that.

People:
    How about someone like Nurse Joy and/or officer Jenny? (Obvious decision ik but I had to say it for myself.)

#6 Nov 7, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2020
  7. Flyg0n

Flyg0n PKMN Breeder

Mojave
    (Trapinch)
    Level 33
    PokéPoints:
    ₽365.8
    I'll throw in my two cents!

For a region base, it would be neat to explore something like, maybe africa/middle east/jerusalem. Or even like, india.
    But @Captain Comet idea is also really cool. Would be awesome to see some pleasant mountains included, A la Colorado area, if we did a midwest spin.

I kinda want to stick to fire/water/grass. But what would be cool to see is an early game trio similar to the monkeys from gen 5, but this trio is psychic, fighting, dark

But as a side note, I've always thought it would be fun to do a little twist. In the region, the champion is a somewhat unknown figure, very reclusive.
    So as you start the game and you first battle is against your mom. And then later in the game as you defeat gyms and work your way to the Elite 4, and finally reach the champion, you discover... It is indeed your mom! Much like how after defeating lance in red/blue, you see your rival got there before you.

I definitely think we should add a new Eveelution, or even two or three. Fighting type, perhaps.

ChocoChicken likes this.
  8. Skittle

Skittle daijoubu

Swablu
    (Swablu)
    Level 24
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,602.3
    Comet Shard ★★★★Dawn Stone ★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★Galladite ★★★★Whipped Dream ★★★★
    oh youre just asking me to indulge in my guilty pleasure of character concept art

im just gonna ramble bout a few things so dont mind me!!

okay so i know we dont have any coherent idea yet but i'd love to see a region based on europe!! i went over to europe a few years ago and man it's such a beautiful place..... since england and france are already taken by kalos and galar i was looking more at either west-central europe or southern europe?? lemme explain!!

when i saw western-central europe im taking about the areas like switzerland/germany/whatever. you have mountains and plains so it can add some diverse landscapes!! and i havent been to southern europe (to this day im still salty i didnt go to greece on my trip) but the area seems beautiful!! can we have a galar-esc gym battle in the colosseum, and instead of 8 gym badges we collect pizza slices and deliver a pizza to the champion? okay i kid this is a joke ive had for 3 years and i had to get that out but WHATEVER!!

but if we're burned out on europe from kalos and galar i think a possible setting based on the other parts of the united states would be cool!! there are so many diverse ecosystems here, like mountain ranges, forests, rolling plains, deserts, swamps...... definitely more interesting that my idea of a midwest only region but its a giant corn maze lol

i am not a fakemon designer so im useless here lol!! but i have a really good idea because this is OUR region: we should look back at the summer scrambles and use some of the Pokémon we made there!! i think it would make the region more special to us but that could only be me

like i said i dont design fakemon but if you yell at me enough i can doodle something lol

I LOVE CHARACTER DESIGNING SO MUCH THATS ALL I WANTED TO SAY!!! i really wanna help on this aspect and i think i could come up with some really nice designs after we decide the region!!

9. DuoM2

Groudon Egg
    (Groudon Egg)
    Level 18
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,398.7
    Alright, this project seems like a lot of fun. Looking forward to all of this. For my first post, I'd like to go over what all ways I can contribute to this, but at the end of this post I'll also be responding to some other ideas where I feel like I have some noteworthy input...

- I design Fakemon quite a good bit, so I feel like I can contribute there. I kind of suck with theming things to a specific region because I'm blind to most cultures, but if we need something that isn't bound to one particular place, then I can provide quite a decent bit. Not every Pokémon that has been introduced in even the recent games have had some cultural attachment to the place where the region is based off of, so at the very least I can contribute a few random ideas and a few that just so happen to match the region we choose.

- I used to play this game competitively quite a lot, and while I don't play much anymore, I still actively talk about the game and I've done things on Smogon to make myself very, very good at theorycrafting. That being said, I'd be pretty good for helping balance our region. If someone ends up submitting something that's too broken then I'd be able to give them a warning, and if someone ends up being too underpowered then I can tell the person submitting it that they can give it a few buffs if they so please. If anyone doesn't want to give stats or full movepools to their Pokémon, then I'd be more than welcome to.

- I might be able to help with some of the stuff involving character writing but I'm sure I'm not the best candidate for that, I know we have several writers on the site that could do that job better than me. Either way, I'd at least be able to give my input on this and anything other ideas that pop up. I may end up posting in this thread a lot even if I don't have any ideas to share myself.

- I can also program all of this and put it on a Pokémon Showdown server if we want, it wouldn't be that hard. Not sure if there's much interest though, and we'd probably not be able to use every Pokémon since we're probably going to have some mascot legendary Pokémon.

As for some of the other ideas in this thread so far...

- My personal belief is that we should try and stick to the constraints that the Pokémon games have set. It kind of irks me when they break their own established rules just to be cool or whatever, and I wouldn't want it here either. Like as much as I love Poipole and Naganadel, I don't see the reason for them to make an evolving Ultra Beast other than breaking their own rules for the sake of it. So I'm kind of against changing the starters' primary types for that reason.

- I have no preference about adding a new Eevee, I have a personal hatred for the thing but it's probably fine to have here.

- For the region, I have no preference. I believe I said earlier that I'm basically blind to all cultures, like I don't even know what's that different from my part of the world as opposed to the rest. I don't think we should make the area too big, though, like we should stick to one smaller country at most, or a very small portion of America if we choose to do something like that.

- I also just want to mention now that something I personally will be kind of anal towards is getting new signature moves or abilities...I just hate how Game Freak has been treating them. Every single Gen 7 Pokémon had a new signature move, ability, or something else somewhere in the family, and a pretty big portion of Gen 8 did as well. This seems like kind of a forced way of trying to make your Pokémon more interesting, and a bad one at that; so many Pokémon have them nowadays that they don't feel special. What I personally would do is give a bunch of new and returning Pokémon new abilities, like if Hatterene has Magic Powder then give it to Mismagius, Indeedee, and Alakazam, for example.

- About Wippor, I personally could try and design it into some sort of deity or mythical but it'd take some time. I'd just need to have some time to think and plan things out.

That's all I have to say for now, really looking forward to this project!

PoserPanda likes this.
  10. 1mightydragon

1mightydragon PKMN Breeder

Queza
    (Rayquaza Egg)
    Level 7
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,415.8
    Ok, just a few thoughts:

1) I think we could model the region after Georgia, the state, while it does not have any deserts for ground type Pokémon to be found it but there are plenty of other things going for it like the Appalachian Mountains to the North East for ice types, the barrier islands near Savanah the Okefenokee Swamp in the South near Savanah for water types, Plant Bowen to the North West one of the US's largest coal fire powerplants for the electric or fire Pokémon, then you have Atlanta, Macon, Rome, Savanah, Athens, Albany as city centers well distributed throughout the state then you have forests and farms for the grass or bug types. I can get yall more details if required.

2) As a story you could incoprporate the fact that in Sherman's March to Atlanta, this happened during the American Civil War in the 1860s, where he burned everything that was not used for a hospital to the ground into the story and the surrounding architecture.

3) In terms of sports a friendly rivalry has deveopled between the football teams of Aurburn in Tennesee, the Flordia Gators, the Alabama Crimson Tide and the Univeristy of Georgia Bulldogs. Between the rivalries of those 4 teams you could incorporate that into the dynamics of the trainers to give a nice variety of different trainers with differnt Pokémon team set ups. And perhaps have the players character unite the 4 agianst the Team Rocket.

4) There are plenty of small towns that you can make the start of a trainer's journey (I am not naming them here there are too many)

This is just a proposal.

ChocoChicken likes this.
  11. WavePearl

WavePearl Believer in Possibilities

Grace
    (Shaymin (Sky))
    Level 27
    PokéPoints:
    ₽37,926.7
    As far as suggestions for location basis:

--another vote for the south US
    --Mexico/Latin America
    --India
    --Canada
    --Ireland

I can help with location design, story research, and if we go the Canada route, I have some Fakemon ideas.

#11 Nov 7, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2020
  12. OzoneFruit

OzoneFruit Made The Arcadia Virus a Cute Anime Girl

Minior (Core Indigo)
    (Minior (Core Indigo))
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽788.4
    Lucky Punch ★★★★★Eject Button ★★★★Castelia Cone ★★★Leftovers ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★
    I will gladly draw more cute LV anime girls characters/any Pokémon designs! Mark me down!

13. Beffie

Beffie clear your cache

beautiful and perfect
    (Feebas)
    Level 36
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,170.2
    Crown of ValorDawn Stone ★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★Gardevoirite ★★★★Cooler Gary Oak ★★★★★
    OWO THIS SOUNDS SO EPIC here are some Thoughts i have

THIS WILL NOT BE ORGANIZED NOR COHEARANT

- like with an above comment i really dig the idea of a us west coast area bc of its diversity in everything!! esp with human charas, id love to see a region where everyone can be represented and make a Statement that pkmn is for everyone...!! geographically maybe we could also go out as far as vegas lmfao imagine a city like that also #bringbackthegamecorner but im also open to other places!

- i made a pkmn region 5 years ago and i think my fave thing from it was the fact that the evil team was 1. just 5 admins and the leader (should also bring up the leader was the 3rd gym leader, sneaky!) aka no grunts and 2. was an extremely underground operation so they could easily pull off their stunts bc lets face it team aqua going I AM GOING TO WAKE UP THE GIANT WHALE to everyone was dumb on their part.... so id like to see a competent evil team that doesnt suffer from Stupid lol (in the games note how the npcs know who the bad guys are?? maybe they can be a rumor and if u say u saw them ppl think ur deluded haha)

- im not good at fakemon tho i like the idea someone else said to use old summer scramble pkmn or mons from createamon since we already have them made and we made them!!

- im def willing to help with character designing! talk to me and my 300-400 I WISH I WAS JOKING BTW ocs if u need help!

- if theres one thing im willing to gun for its a bw level story when it comes to making u Think and not just mash a feelinglessly..... think it would be cool to have it lowkey be commentary on irl stuff but this is Pokémon so probably not lol,, i just want a story thats better than team flare shouting GENOCIDE

14. ID Zeta

ID Zeta Resident Physicist

Solaire
    (Larvesta)
    Level 18
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,542.1
    This caught my interest, so I might as well give some input.
    • The previously mentioned locations to use as a basis for this region all sound good. We can always take some creative liberties when fleshing details out (particularly with geography and environments). I don't have a particular preference here.
    • Having an overarching theme for the region could help guide a number of things (story points, character motivations and designs, etc.). Here's an example of what I mean: the YouTube channel Subjectivity has been putting out videos on how they're designing a Pokémon region from scratch, and one of the themes they've used is tradition (both conforming to it and breaking away from it). Just something to keep in mind, not something to focus on immediately.
    • I can help with some Pokémon and character designs, as well as with the overall narrative and individual character stories. Can't say how much I'll be able to contribute right now, but we'll see.

15. ChocoChicken

Krysmus Azelv (lol)
    (Krysmus Azelv)
    Level 34
    PokéPoints:
    ₽10,262.1
    I've been watching Lockstin and Gnoggin's Kaskade region creation - he mentions that yes, the region has an overarching theme and a lot of things (particularly the starters) were kinda based on things the region was based on, the Pacific Northwest. I think it would be interesting to pick out our larger theme and what we're focusing on, and going on from there. I can do Pokémon-related things and many birb-related things, and maybe some humans - you throw the concepts at me and I mash them together.

16. SAF

SAF Team of Conflict

Ants Troubled
    (Durant)
    Level 13
    PokéPoints:
    ₽8,634.7
    Potion ★Lucarionite ★★★★
    I may not have as much creativity as y'all do, but...

...can we please have Arcadia as a villainous boss or something?

Jupjami likes this.
  17. Flyg0n

Flyg0n PKMN Breeder

Mojave
    (Trapinch)
    Level 33
    PokéPoints:
    ₽365.8
    To add some further thoughts. I think having a strong sense of culture/theme is important.

Alola was one of the best settings to me because it felt like they really spun the concept of Pokémon in a unique way, and it made the whole Pokémon world feel more alive. So having a good 'vibe' is crucial.

Galar was interesting in the small aspect that gyms seemed to be based highly on strength, and the order (in universe) was decided based on who was the strongest, as opposed to other regions, where its implied you could challenge them in any order.

So for themes/vibes and stuff, Perhaps something having to do with justice/vengeance? Or technology and progress or something? I'm just tossing potential ideas out there. Or even Safety and Freedom? Idk.

Also I think its really important to consider aspects outside gym battles. I LOVED Hoenn and Sinnoh for having contests, and Johto for its pokeathalon. I think having a method to compete alongside Pokémon outside of battles is really important, esp culture and theme wise.

DuoM2 likes this.
  18. Flyg0n

Flyg0n PKMN Breeder

Mojave
    (Trapinch)
    Level 33
    PokéPoints:
    ₽365.8
    Oh! One more thing. I think it might be easier to decide on a theme/vibe first, because that might make choosing a locale easier, theoretically? Food for thought

19. ChocoChicken

Krysmus Azelv (lol)
    (Krysmus Azelv)
    Level 34
    PokéPoints:
    ₽10,262.1
    Yeah, precisely that - a lot of people seem to be wanting the region to be part of the USA - I saw someone mention Georgia.
    I'm assuming I'm not the only person here who doesn't live there, so remember fellow creators, do your research. Like a lot of it. We can have a good long research period where we put together some cool ideas and study the local wildlife.
    The things we do for Pokémon...

Darkmaster006 and SAF like this.
  20. Jupjami

Jupjami Thy friendly neighbourhood birb shaman

Hollow
    (Trevenant)
    Level 66
    PokéPoints:
    ₽7,572.7
    Leaf Stone ★★★Dragon Scale ★★★Darkinum Z ★★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★Reaper Cloth ★★★
    This sounds super ace~! Mapping be my expertise, so all me suggestions would be for the theme... So here we go:

Sooo Lake Valour be a lakeside area, no? So I suggest some place with a beautiful lakeside, like the Great Lakes, Finland, the Caspian...

or Israel.

The last one would be a very interesting choice; we have three main "regions"; the central main Galilee region, the beautiful but sparsely populated Dead Sea region, and the fertile and agricultural Hula region. We could even extend it westward to the Mediterranean (which would provide 'access' to Kalosian/Galarian trade) and eastward into the rest of the Fertile Crescent~

Another reason the area would be a neat place is because Jerusalem be the Holy City of many religions... We could, say, make the 'evil teams' actually be sects worshipping different legendaries a la Hoenn, and whatever would be "Jerusalem" would be in the intersection of these sects' territories~ To make it even juicier that "Jerusalem" would be the location of the Pokémon League~!

Plus the climate and geography of the area would make for quite a diverse array of Pokémon, no? From the grasslands of Hula to the vast waters of Galilee and the Dead Sea to the high-rising Golan Heights to the barren lands of the Jordan Desert... All sorts of Pokémon could live in the region!

Finally, 'twould be quite a fun trek too; maybe all the main routes would be centred around the Jordan River; the protagonist starting in Hula, then to Galilee, then the Dead Sea, then finally to Jerusalem (and the Mediterranean as a post-story). All-in-all the protagonist would have a kinda-linear path; but what if different sides of the river (and seas) provide a different adventure? Like one side would have the first gym and the other would have a major 'villain' attack; that way it'd provide a variation on the path a player could take~

So yeah, that be me suggestion, hope ye all liked it~

ChocoChicken and SAF like this.