1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Article THE INTERNET COULD ACTUALLY DIE - Net Neutrality

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Derahex, Nov 22, 2017.

1. Derahex

PokéPoints:
    ₽108.3
    ...Or the internet as we know it.

You may have heard the words Net Neutrality before. If you don't know what that means, you might be asking yourself: "What is he talking about?"

Well, right now information on the web is free and uncensored, and anyone with a connection has the privilege to access that information. That could change soon.

You can take a quick look at these so we're on the same page:

Net Neutrality put simply (Link)

and here's a sample plan

448699-EFFTHIS.jpg

You know what that means. Unless you're economically stable, which sadly isn't most of us these days, chances are you won't have any internet, anymore. No more Youtube, Facebook, Wikipedia, Online Gaming and even Discord, along with everything else, including Lake Valor. And even if you can afford this new Internet, it won't be much fun with an empty LV! It'll be like if there were only Admins and Supporters!

So I plead to my fellow valorians living in the USA, fight! Follow the instructions in the links above to help vote against this horrible law. It's a long shot, but it's our only chance.

And for those living outside the US, or too young, you must spread awareness! Even if the US government flops around a lot, the Americans are a standard and a world power, and other countries are liable to follow their footsteps. Take me, for example. I'm in Canada, and if our southern neighbours apply this rule, the cable companies will see no reason not to follow suit. After all, why not make more money?

And if the idea of calling a congressman terrifies you, there are quite a few resources you can use to help compose an email or text message, just look around!

LV's 5th anniversary is indeed a momentous occasion, but if we just close our eyes and ignore this problem, we probably won't make it to LV's 6th.

Let's all do our best okay?

Websites to visit:

https://www.battleforthenet.com/

USA petition

International petition

You can also join the Lake Valor Discord Server for more information (check the #announcements channel)

2. Vigilance

Vigilance once here, now gone

Fletchling
    (Fletchling)
    Level 54
    PokéPoints:
    ₽404.2
    Master BallGold Bottle Cap ★★★★★Mewnium Z  ★★★★★Beast Ball ★★★★Staff of Verity
    I signed the petition. Serious stuff :(

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Derahex likes this.
  3. SnowboundBecca

SnowboundBecca Scarf Enthusiast

Jet Stone
    (Froakie)
    Level 27
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,335.7
    Marshadium Z ★★★★★Beast Ball ★★★★Black Glasses ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★Legendary Triforce ★★
    I already signed long ago. I may live in Canada, but there's no telling if this law will spread over to the north. Here's hoping it doesn't pass at all.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Derahex likes this.
  4. Apawn

Apawn Modern Gen 2 Artist

Nosejob
    (Nosepass)
    Level 49
    PokéPoints:
    ₽360.7
    Shiny QuilavaQuilava
    I signed a long time ago as well. If only this "good idea" could die off so I can be at peace..... I don't like tons of notifications for the same thing multiple days in a row -_-. So this issue that I already hate the concept makes me hate it even more because of it.

So yeah. Do what you can do to stop this my peeps

Derahex likes this.
  5. VictoryStar34

SS Egg #1
    (Lugia Egg)
    Level 22
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,103.5
    Mewnium Z  ★★★★★Choice Specs ★★★★★Legendary Triforce ★★Deep Sea Scale ★★★Rage Candy Bar ★★★
    Im not American, but I MUST DO EVERYTHING. A WORLD WITHOUT LV IS A WORLD WITHOUT HAPPINESS.

Derahex likes this.
  6. Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero The second seal

Jeff
    (Spinarak)
    Level 19
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,869.8
    I seriously don't see how anyone whose pocket isn't being filled with money from the already-oligopolous ISPs and top sites can say that destruction of net neutrality is a good thing. If you own an ISP you can extort more money from websites and customers, and if you own an already-huge website you can eliminate competition by being able to pay more for perks, and if you're a politician being bought by those groups you get more money in your pocket while the legislation is being passed. And no way in heck is any of that going to trickle down to anyone who doesn't sit at the big conference tables in those companies, or anyone outside of those companies. Literally a few thousand individuals in the entire country have anything to gain, meanwhile the other several hundred million Americans can only lose in this.

Not to be a downer, but I just wonder how much of a chance a $0 petition stands in a fight against the giant bags of money being stuffed into Congress' pockets.

Derahex likes this.
  7. Geroniny

Geroniny The Spacecraft Of Miracle

Azure
    (Kyogre)
    Level 34
    PokéPoints:
    ₽771.9
    Dawn Stone ★★★★Blue Orb ★★★★★Charizardite X ★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★Star Piece ★★★★
    I Heard About This Before-But I Don't Dare To Write A Letter To Them(I Want To Support This But I Am Not So Courageous.)

8. Skittle

Skittle daijoubu

Swablu
    (Swablu)
    Level 24
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,602.3
    Comet Shard ★★★★Dawn Stone ★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★Galladite ★★★★Whipped Dream ★★★★
    The thing is that the FCC has tried this at least three other times in the past. So if we've shut them down three, might as well go for four. Our voices have made a difference the past three times so there's a chance that they're still listening.

Hence why America is a democracy...

Derahex likes this.
  9. FireSpartan5

FireSpartan5 Pokémon Professor

Zane
    (Genesect Egg)
    Level 5
    PokéPoints:
    ₽866.4
    Cooler Gary Oak ★★★★★Tapunium Z ★★★★★Choice Specs ★★★★★Flame Orb ★★★★★
    This is incredibly scary. I wish there was more we could do.

Derahex likes this.
  10. warriorseadra

warriorseadra PKMN Breeder

Mythical Egg
    (Mew Egg)
    Level 17
    PokéPoints:
    ₽168.4
    Legendary Triforce ★★
    The biggest difference between now and those other times who’s in control of the majority in congress and the presidency. Worse, the people who want net neutrality are their donors.

Starting our own internet service might be a viable alternative...

11. FireSpartan5

FireSpartan5 Pokémon Professor

Zane
    (Genesect Egg)
    Level 5
    PokéPoints:
    ₽866.4
    Cooler Gary Oak ★★★★★Tapunium Z ★★★★★Choice Specs ★★★★★Flame Orb ★★★★★
    Let's get started then!

12. warriorseadra

Mythical Egg
    (Mew Egg)
    Level 17
    PokéPoints:
    ₽168.4
    Legendary Triforce ★★
    Anyone have a massive amount of fiber optic cable lying around?? We might be able to just lease the equipment put down by other companies. Our best option might be to start small and spread influence to other places.

FireSpartan5 likes this.
  13. Vigilance

Fletchling
    (Fletchling)
    Level 54
    PokéPoints:
    ₽404.2
    Our voices have two impacts. They can't do anything to the FCC commissioners cause like Supreme Court Justices, they are appointed by the president. Popular vote does not influence them. The backlash that has been displayed though can influence Congressman as they are elected by popularity from their constituents which gives me hope.

14. warriorseadra

Mythical Egg
    (Mew Egg)
    Level 17
    PokéPoints:
    ₽168.4
    Legendary Triforce ★★
    A lot of congressmen are being paid by supporters of the repeal. While the best action would be getting a law passed that settles the matter once and for all, we’d first have to get congress members to sponser said law. The becomes an issue in of itself because donor money, gerrymandering, and the incubent advantage makes them hard to remove from office. Another problem is that both sides of congress have been bought off. Honestly, having members of lake valor run for the House and Senet might be a good idea.

15. Hikari

Hikari Poké Maniac

Ryu
    (Trapinch)
    Level 16
    PokéPoints:
    ₽450.7
    Legendary Triforce ★★
    Also, aren’t, like, 15 states suing or something so we can get back net neutrality?

16. Palamon

Palamon Silence is Purple

Guren
    (Azelf)
    Level 2
    PokéPoints:
    ₽47.1
    Don't worry. 83% of congress is opposed to this repeal & after the FCC it goes to congress, then court. Congress will probably overturn and guess what else? This has gone to court TWICE and both times, we won. We'll win again.

17. Vigilance

Fletchling
    (Fletchling)
    Level 54
    PokéPoints:
    ₽404.2
    That is quite reassuring =) Welcome back to Lake Valor by the way!

18. Rezna

Rezna Every Day's Great at Your Junes!

Why do eggs break ffree
    (Groudon Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽35.7
    Thunder Stone ★★★Water Stone ★★★Dawn Stone ★★★★Cooler Gary Oak ★★★★★Legendary Triforce ★★
    Yeah but I doubt they’ll find this site and ACTUALLY MAKE YOU PAY FOR IT. We’ll just be stuck with this for eternity (don’t get mad, I’m just saying this isn’t the only site I like to be on)

19. warriorseadra

Mythical Egg
    (Mew Egg)
    Level 17
    PokéPoints:
    ₽168.4
    Legendary Triforce ★★
    It's not that they make us pay for the sight, but the speed with which the site would load. Something like that would be really easy to mess with. We like these sites, so they load at normal (arbitrarily decided) speed. If you want faster (current speed), pay more. Other others load at slow speed, unless you pay more. Since they get to choose which sites they like, pretty much the ones they own, everything else tossed aside like an unloved mushroom.