1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Gen 4 The Leveling Curve in HG/SS

Discussion in 'Other Pokémon Games' started by Wizard, Oct 24, 2018.

1. Wizard

Wizard Do you feel it? The moon's power!

Cupidueye
    (Decidueye (Cupid))
    Level 113
    PokéPoints:
    ₽9,385.6
    I hear a lot of people talk about how amazing these games are and about how great Johto is. I agree for the most part. It's really cool to have two regions in one game, as well as all of the side features. However, there is one thing that keeps me from truly loving these games.

THE STUPID LEVELING CURVE.

I have the hardest time staying up to level in Heartgold/Soulsilver. I don't know if this is an issue with Gold/Silver/Crystal, but I find it gets nearly impossible to beat Clair by the time I get to her due to the leveling difference. Now, I'm not much for skipping trainers, but the wild Pokémon are too low of a level for me to grind in a reasonable amount of time.

Does the leveling curve and lack of available experience points keep you from enjoying these games? Do you have a hard time staying at a good level? Does this ruin the game for you?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Moonstruck-Mist

HoverBoots
    (Shaymin (Sky))
    Level 35
    PokéPoints:
    ₽544.9
    Being honest, I enjoy the curve. It makes the battles harder, yes, but I enjoy having to strategize and learn about people, even when they aren't real. It also adds a bit of spice that the current games desperately miss out on.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. ShinigamiMiroku

Sorceress' Knight
    (Ralts ♂)
    Level 23
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,354.4
    Red Orb ★★★★★
    It is rather disconcerting at first, but believe it or not you can clear the Elite 4 without being at the same level they are - if you strategize (and carry a few Hyper Potions) and diversify your team well. This was the case even in G/S/C, though slightly harder due to smaller movelists.

4. Aalacer

Moonwalk
    (Lunatone)
    Level 22
    PokéPoints:
    ₽484.7
    Gen 4's A.I. during the main story wasn't exactly "clever", but it used well their move's type adventages. Despite that, it was quite easy to exploit, so the level curve of HG/SS was an ok tool to partially fix that problem. Also, I don't see the point of structuring the game so you will be almost certainly overleveled even without having played the game beforehand.

5. BraviaryScout

BraviaryScout Way of the Wind

Bravo
    (Braviary)
    Level 66
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,847.3
    Crown of ValorPoké Ball ★
    I'm fairly in agreement with this. While the levels of the E4 and Champ were much lower than normal, it still really wasn't enough to make me ready. Every other runthrough of the game, I've been on par level with the weakest E4 member and able to take them on no problem. Here, I had my starter the same level as Will's weakest.

I think they should've had Victory Road give some trainers like all the others. Thanks a lot rival Dickwad (What I end up naming him) so getting prize money as well as getting my team leveled up would be simpler.

Another aggravating thing about the Victory Road was that the wild 'mons were so underleveled. More than half the time I encountered Zubats and Golbats who gave me next to no XP. Even some of the tougher wilds like Donphan and Ursaring gave a little more, but the grind felt agonizingly slow to get everyone up to balance.

6. Hraesvelgr

Hraesvelgr Snek in Your Boot

Zapdos Egg
    (Zapdos Egg)
    Level 21
    PokéPoints:
    ₽11,971.7
    Trainer Card - Cave ThemeDragon Fang ★★★★Philosopher's CowlWater Stone ★★★Great Ball ★★
    I've never really had any issues, doesn't really fee like there's much of a curve but I also just flop around training in the spots I know are good since i nuzlocke most of the time and don't wanna lose a mon.

7. Wolf Expert

Wolf Expert Canine Scholar

Wolf
    (Riolu)
    Level 24
    PokéPoints:
    ₽761.2
    Moon Ball ★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★Premier Ball ★Friend Ball ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★
    I never have much of a problem staying up to level in Pokémon games. I just train for 5 levels for each city I get to. So a lot of the time I end up challenging the elite four with level 70+ Pokémon. I think in my most recent playthrough of HG, I was around level 65-70 when I got to the elite four.