1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Featured The Lunch Table - for non-Pokémon chatting!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Sheep, Nov 27, 2014.

1. Dawn

Dawn La vie est drôle

Cresselia
    (Cresselia)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,104.6
    I used to think a lot about having children, although I was much younger and...more idealistic, maybe. I have an autistic sibling who has the mentality of six-year old and has for the better part of his life (he's 22, so it's the better part of my life too) and I've learned through painful experience that I am probably not mentally prepared to cope with temper tantrums and the like. xD

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. OzoneFruit

OzoneFruit Made The Arcadia Virus a Cute Anime Girl

Minior (Core Indigo)
    (Minior (Core Indigo))
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽788.4
    Lucky Punch ★★★★★Eject Button ★★★★Castelia Cone ★★★Leftovers ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★
    Forget kids, I'm not even concerned about DATING until I know I've got a solid foundation after college. >_> (Although I absolutely DO want to be a dad some day :P) I'd say I'm pretty good with kids, I look after my little cousins all the time (I have a lot XD), and they always ask "Where's Cousin/Uncle OzoneFruit?" *_*

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Dawn

Dawn La vie est drôle

Cresselia
    (Cresselia)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,104.6
    Good call. Best not to enter a relationship until you're ready. Or until you're absolutely sure you've found someone you're sure of, anyway. Breaking up is generally very unpleasant...

4. Grimwave

Grimwave Decepticon

Megatron
    (Beldum)
    Level 7
    PokéPoints:
    ₽153.2
    Dome Fossil ★★★Premier Ball ★Darkinum Z ★★★★Reaper Cloth ★★★Luxury Ball ★★★
    Tbh I want to date, but my rejection streak is pretty solid and has only been broken once (and that relationship didn't last very long at all). I have a hard time because I usually end up with a crush on any attractive girl that's nice and/or gives me attention.

5. OzoneFruit

Minior (Core Indigo)
    (Minior (Core Indigo))
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽788.4
    Lucky Punch ★★★★★Eject Button ★★★★Castelia Cone ★★★Leftovers ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★
    Just got back from watching The Meg. Stupid, glorious fun, good way to end the summrr XD

6. Laserdragon14

Laserdragon14 Dragon Maverick

Falchion
    (Honedge)
    Level 22
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,429.1
    Flame Orb ★★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★Poké Ball ★Trainer Card - Cave Theme
    tbh, I want to date, but so far every boy that I have had a crush with, my mother has something against them that makes me unable to date them...
    what's The Meg and what is it about?

7. Grimwave

Grimwave Decepticon

Megatron
    (Beldum)
    Level 7
    PokéPoints:
    ₽153.2
    Yeah... the only person IRL that I dated, my mom didn't like, so we were forced to break up.

8. Laserdragon14

Falchion
    (Honedge)
    Level 22
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,429.1
    Flame Orb ★★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★Poké Ball ★Trainer Card - Cave Theme
    was that the date that was short lived?

9. Grimwave

Grimwave Decepticon

Megatron
    (Beldum)
    Level 7
    PokéPoints:
    ₽153.2
    Yeah

10. OzoneFruit

Minior (Core Indigo)
    (Minior (Core Indigo))
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽788.4
    The Meg is Jaws but with a Megalodon.

Laserdragon14 likes this.
  11. Grimwave

Grimwave Decepticon

Megatron
    (Beldum)
    Level 7
    PokéPoints:
    ₽153.2
    It only lasted for two months. That's the first time she's disapproved of anyone I've liked. She was even fine when I was dating someone online who was states away

12. Laserdragon14

Falchion
    (Honedge)
    Level 22
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,429.1
    that doesn't make any sense to me, but I don't know your mom so I can't say anything

13. Grimwave

Grimwave Decepticon

Megatron
    (Beldum)
    Level 7
    PokéPoints:
    ₽153.2
    She didn't like that the girl I was dating didn't really have much of an inside voice and didn't "act mature enough."

14. Laserdragon14

Falchion
    (Honedge)
    Level 22
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,429.1
    rip, I don't know many girls that do have an inside voice, much less one that acts mature, tbh.

15. Grimwave

Grimwave Decepticon

Megatron
    (Beldum)
    Level 7
    PokéPoints:
    ₽153.2
    I mean, she was pretty loud and was pretty goofy at times, which annoyed my mom. But I liked her still... we had our issues too, and idk if it would have lasted a while, but I just wish my mom hadn't interfered.

16. luxuryluxray

luxuryluxray make a wish!

Grass
    (Tangela)
    Level 2
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,543.0
    Ice Stone ★★★★Water Stone ★★★Charizardite X ★★★★Waterium Z ★★★★Comet Shard ★★★★
    Mm, there's a fine line between parents giving needed advice and them just interfering.

17. Poffin

Poffin King of Destruction

Alolan Meowth
    (Alolan Meowth)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,384.2
    Legendary Triforce ★★
    What is it with parents disapproving of the people you love... Well when you get older and more independent, you shouldn't let your mother dictate who you can be with.

18. Dawn

Dawn La vie est drôle

Cresselia
    (Cresselia)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,104.6
    I don't think parents' opinions matter tbh. It's none of their business who you decide to enter a relationship with, and if they really care about you then they should be supportive of your choices rather than insist that whoever you're with satisfy their ridiculous criterion for suitability. Concern or whatever else does not justify dismissing your thoughts and feelings.

19. LostSpirit

Odd-ish
    (Oddish (J))
    Level 21
    PokéPoints:
    ₽995.7
    Maybe it's just me, but I do think parents generally have the right idea about people that you want to date, even if it doesn't seem like it. Yes, your mom shouldn't be dictating your love life, but she may have had some valid points (if they were valid points). After all, she's probably seen people with similar attitudes and behaviors have bad relationships, and she doesn't want that for you.
    I think if you and your significant other were/are right for each other, parietal pressure and disapproval shouldn't get in the way of that because eventually they'll see that they were wrong. There should be a healthy discussion between the parties to really make it worth while. "Why do you think she doesn't act mature enough?", "Don't you think that being in a relationship, where we could rely on each other more, would help us grow?, etc.

20. Dawn

Dawn La vie est drôle

Cresselia
    (Cresselia)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,104.6
    Maybe it depends on the circumstances...age is no measure of wisdom, after all. Or experience, for that matter - especially in this instances, as every relationship is different and first impressions are not always accurate. Not to mention, sad as it is, you have to make your own mistakes to learn from them; your parents can't do it for you. You won't realise a relationship isn't going to work out unless you figure it out for yourself, and having your parents tell you that it's probably not going to work out for whatever reason is only going to serve to create more friction and likely achieve that end. Advice? Maybe. Judgement? No.

But maybe I just have no patience for my parents interfering in my life anymore, haha. Given the state of their marriage, they'd be the last people I'd take relationship advice from, anyway...