1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Featured The Lunch Table - for non-Pokémon chatting!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Sheep, Nov 27, 2014.

1. LostSpirit

Odd-ish
    (Oddish (J))
    Level 21
    PokéPoints:
    ₽995.7
    I wonder how these kids have access to drugs and the lot. I certainly didn't have the means to.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Dawn

Dawn La vie est drôle

Cresselia
    (Cresselia)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,104.6
    I've wondered how kids these days can get hold of drugs so easily too; even when I was at University I never saw any sign of them...although I didn't live in halls of residence, so that might have been why. But I live right next to a Secondary School (which I actually used to go to) and the worst I've seen is kids smoking.

I HAVE heard people discussing drugs and payment - in very loud voices, in broad daylight - at the bus stop before, though. Idiots.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Grimwave

Grimwave Decepticon

Megatron
    (Beldum)
    Level 7
    PokéPoints:
    ₽153.2
    Dome Fossil ★★★Premier Ball ★Darkinum Z ★★★★Reaper Cloth ★★★Luxury Ball ★★★
    I've heard a lot of high school kids say they've done/do weed.

4. LostSpirit

Odd-ish
    (Oddish (J))
    Level 21
    PokéPoints:
    ₽995.7
    I guess weed is just more accessible now? Idk, I know so many students at my college who are stacked. I personally don't understand how they can use it when it smells so bad. I've had people tell me that they just use the concentrate (so it doesn't smell), but it just gives me bad vibes.

5. Dawn

Dawn La vie est drôle

Cresselia
    (Cresselia)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,104.6
    I don't see the appeal in doing drugs, honestly. I guess maybe it's a social thing, like smoking and drinking alcohol, although the short-term health risks are significantly worse than either of those...

6. LostSpirit

Odd-ish
    (Oddish (J))
    Level 21
    PokéPoints:
    ₽995.7
    I don't understand it. Taking substances tends to make you forget you were even having a good time.

7. Grimwave

Grimwave Decepticon

Megatron
    (Beldum)
    Level 7
    PokéPoints:
    ₽153.2
    I guess it's an 'in-the-moment' kinda thing?
    I really don't understand it either

8. Laserdragon14

Laserdragon14 Dragon Maverick

Falchion
    (Honedge)
    Level 22
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,429.1
    Flame Orb ★★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★Poké Ball ★Trainer Card - Cave Theme
    I've seen it destroy too many families for me to even consider taking anything of the sort.

9. Grimwave

Grimwave Decepticon

Megatron
    (Beldum)
    Level 7
    PokéPoints:
    ₽153.2
    I wouldn't want to do it just because of the health risks and I probably wouldn't like it either

10. Laserdragon14

Laserdragon14 Dragon Maverick

Falchion
    (Honedge)
    Level 22
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,429.1
    Flame Orb ★★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★Poké Ball ★Trainer Card - Cave Theme
    I think that home-made whiskey was the closest thing I've had to alcohol (Which Idk if they are near the same thing) and it tasted disgusting and felt like hand sanitizer going over an open wound down your throat and the only reason I took it is that my mother told me to.

11. Grimwave

Grimwave Decepticon

Megatron
    (Beldum)
    Level 7
    PokéPoints:
    ₽153.2
    Yeahhh... I'm never having alcohol

12. Dawn

Dawn La vie est drôle

Cresselia
    (Cresselia)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,104.6
    Alcohol has some health benefits in moderation, but it has a lot of negative connotations surrounding it because the majority of people seem to have it in excess...or, rather, you get a sizeable group and they are the ones you hear about/from the most.

Although personally I don't drink either; I don't see the appeal and I don't much care for the taste of the few drinks I have tried. I'm getting on alright without it and I have enough health issues without adding alcoholism to my list. xD

13. Azazel

Azazel Better count your blessings

Diancie Egg
    (Diancie Egg)
    Level 8
    PokéPoints:
    ₽4,559.5
    As a former addict it is surprisingly easy. Even in decent neighborhoods you'll find dealers.

14. Dawn

Dawn La vie est drôle

Cresselia
    (Cresselia)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,104.6
    It's kinda amazing when you stop to think about all the things that can go on right under your nose or behind closed doors. A while ago I was afraid to leave the house for a few weeks because someone got stabbed to death in the bus alley right outside, and when I was at University a guy cornered me in an alley and tried to get me to do...certain things. It always comes as a bit of a shock when this kind of thing happens, but I guess that's the hidden side of human nature that is very prevalent despite being generally ignored.

15. Azazel

Azazel Better count your blessings

Diancie Egg
    (Diancie Egg)
    Level 8
    PokéPoints:
    ₽4,559.5
    I was robbed once when we lived Ontario but I just gave him the money and he didn't bother me after, luckily.

16. Dawn

Dawn La vie est drôle

Cresselia
    (Cresselia)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,104.6
    I have to wonder how many people who commit a crime actually get punished for it sometimes...police seem to be understaffed and generally inept pretty much everywhere in the Wester world. It's not especially comforting.

17. LostSpirit

Odd-ish
    (Oddish (J))
    Level 21
    PokéPoints:
    ₽995.7
    Tbh I would rather have people get the help they need over getting incarcerated. I think it would do a lot of good in the world if we rehabilitate people rather than punish them. Unless they actually do something awful, then we should. However, prison overpopulation is definitely a real thing and we should really be thinking what we define as crime. Some laws aren't really great laws and thus, some crimes shouldn't really be crimes.

18. Chicken

Chicken Cringe Overlord

Sven
    (Fennekin)
    Level 51
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,412.1
    Ice Stone ★★★★Icy Rock ★★★
    It’s all about ethics and morals. What some people believe is right may appear as wrong to others. Some people may think the law is fine, while others believe it is flawed. Here’s an interesting question, though: If you were immortal and was sentenced to life imprisonment, would your sentence be commuted?

Btw my brother joined LV.

19. Dawn

Dawn La vie est drôle

Cresselia
    (Cresselia)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,104.6
    Life imprisonment very rarely means life imprisonment any more. Prison isn't really an effective punishment in my opinion. It's just isolating the less desirable/disruptive elements of society from the rest of the world at the taxpayer's expense, because we don't know what else to do with them/can't be bothered to do anything else. Out of sight, out of mind. It effectively ruins a person's life, as it in no way prepares them to re-enter society if/when they are allowed to leave again, and for a lot of crimes I don't think that's really fair or even appropriate.

Personally I think we need to do away with prisons entirely, at least in their current form. By all means, incarcerate criminals, but work on rehabilitating them - give them psychiatric help and support, options for a better life when they're deemed fit to leave; whatever they need so that they can pay for their crimes in the proper way and don't re-offend when they're released. Make sure they have a job and somewhere to live when they're released, and keep offering support to make sure they don't slip back into crime.

As for those people who have committed severe crimes like murder/rape and can't be rehabilitated? Well, I don't see why the taxpayer should be paying to keep them locked up in comfort. Just execute them and be done with it. I don't see what right to life murderers and rapists have anyway. At the very least.

20. Random Person

Genesect
    (Genesect Egg)
    Level 29
    PokéPoints:
    ₽146.3
    Hi guys, this is my first day in LV, hope I can chat up with some people in the lunch table