1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Battle The LV Quarantine Comp Tournament

Discussion in 'Festival Plaza' started by Haunted Ditto, Apr 26, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Haunted Ditto

Ditto
    (Ditto)
    Level 28
    PokéPoints:
    ₽775.5
    Oran Berry ★★Helix Fossil ★★★
    Ok, guys we are enough people (9 voted on the pool) to have a chance on making this a real LV Event. This thread will be used to discuss the rules. I think first everyone should write what they want and what they don't want. For example: Full National Dex, Z-Moves, but no Dynamax.

Things I want: Full National Dex, Z-Moves, Megas and no Dynamax. So I want gen 7 meta with gen 8 Pokémon as a bonus.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    RadEmpoleon likes this.
  2. Vigilance

Vigilance once here, now gone

Fletchling
    (Fletchling)
    Level 54
    PokéPoints:
    ₽404.2
    Master BallGold Bottle Cap ★★★★★Mewnium Z  ★★★★★Beast Ball ★★★★Staff of Verity
    Also if you're new to the comp scene and would like maybe a veteran battler to help you out, feel free to say so and I'll ask Haunted to maybe have some of the veteran folk mentor the new guys. Have fun!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. DuoM2

Groudon Egg
    (Groudon Egg)
    Level 18
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,398.7
    Yeah I'd be more than willing to help anyone newer to the scene who has any questions. Been a while since I've played but I've been analyzing a bunch of matches and I've still been able to give people good advice.

Anyways, here's a few suggestions for the format...

- We could always go something simple, like Gen 8 Natdex / SwSh OU. It'd be much easier to get into, but overall much less interesting.
    - An idea for something that kinda fits in with the quarantine theme would be a lesser heard of metagame called Monothreat, specifically the Poison version. This meta is like Monotype where your team all must share a type, but both teams must agree to a type, and with Monothreat Poison we would all obviously need to use Poison-types. We'd most likely want this to be Natdex so we aren't extremely limited, and there would be bans on things like Eternatus.
    - Another much more intricate way to go off the above would be to restrict us to a bunch of specific Pokémon that could be seen as being related to the Coronavirus in some way, but I don't know how we'd go about that aside from Poison-types. Maybe it's just because it's 1 AM while I'm typing this.
    - I'm extremely tempted to mention another certain format that I've spoken a lot with Haunted specifically about, but I won't do it again just for the sake of not coming across as annoying. Just know that I have another idea for a format we could play, and if the slim chance that it gets chosen ends up happening, it's going to be crazy. I don't expect it to happen though.

These are just a few suggestions though, most things would work here. As long as it doesn't have Dynamax, I'll probably be fine with it in the end.

4. Jupjami

Jupjami Thy friendly neighbourhood birb shaman

Hollow
    (Trevenant)
    Level 66
    PokéPoints:
    ₽7,572.7
    Leaf Stone ★★★Dragon Scale ★★★Darkinum Z ★★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★Reaper Cloth ★★★
    Yay, this is going through~! (my first time though...) Dynamax should definitely be banned, and the NatDex should be used, though it would be fun if there were no metas~

An idea I had thought of was doing a forum-wide draft pick, starting with each player banning a Pokémon and/or a move, then after everyone has had their turn banning, players can then choose one Pokémon, but cannot choose banned Pokémon or those already taken by other players. After everyone has one Pokémon, each player chooses another Pokémon that hasn't been chosen or banned, then the cycle repeats until everyone has 6 Pokémon~ Might take a while though...

5. Haunted Ditto

Ditto
    (Ditto)
    Level 28
    PokéPoints:
    ₽775.5
    I like draft leagues, but they are time consuming and since this is LV members only, it is hard to replace People when someone quits.

My suggestions were:
    1. A season like in soccer where you have to battle every participant once.
    2. A standard knockout-tourney
    But we are surely going to ban some Pokémon and limit the amount of OP Pokémon in everyone's team.

Jupjami likes this.
  6. Jeydis

Jeydis Midnight Gourmand

Boomer
    (Noibat)
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽5,036.7
    Poké Ball ★Trainer Card - Cave Theme
    Monotype and RU are my favorite formats overall but I would be fine playing up to OU/UU and helping out newer players.

I think setting up our own theme would be best, like the previous tourney we did around halloween. Pointbased drafts usually lead to pretty balanced teams across the board and monotype can be really fun lol.

7. Haunted Ditto

Ditto
    (Ditto)
    Level 28
    PokéPoints:
    ₽775.5
    I will give everyone time until the end of Wednesday. After that I will decide on the rules based on your suggestions.
    Finding a theme fitting theme for quarantine would be hard, but I will try my best, if this is the preferred suggestion.

8. Jeydis

Jeydis Midnight Gourmand

Boomer
    (Noibat)
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽5,036.7
    LC since all the kids are at home nowadays lol

Haunted Ditto likes this.
  9. Haunted Ditto

Ditto
    (Ditto)
    Level 28
    PokéPoints:
    ₽775.5
    I TOTALLY FORGOT, SORRY!

So after Looking through your comments, this seems to be the most liked ruleset:
    Monotype Poison (legendary ban)
    National Dex
    No Dynamax

One Question is still open tho: Season or knockout?

Jupjami likes this.
  10. Jupjami

Hollow
    (Trevenant)
    Level 66
    PokéPoints:
    ₽7,572.7
    Season sounds better, so that one loss or mistake won't cost you the entire competition~

11. DuoM2

Groudon Egg
    (Groudon Egg)
    Level 18
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,398.7
    I have no huge preference one way or the other, it's up to everyone else.

12. Jeydis

Jeydis Midnight Gourmand

Boomer
    (Noibat)
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽5,036.7
    I can work with both as well.

13. RadEmpoleon

RadEmpoleon certified EPIC Gamer™

Bondo
    (Sobble)
    Level 9
    PokéPoints:
    ₽4,003.8
    Comet Shard ★★★★Poké Doll ★★
    I’m fine with either. Kinda dumb question, what’s season?

14. Jupjami

Hollow
    (Trevenant)
    Level 66
    PokéPoints:
    ₽7,572.7
    I thiiink that season means round-robin~?

15. Vigilance

Fletchling
    (Fletchling)
    Level 54
    PokéPoints:
    ₽404.2
    A season format would be where all teams are put in a table with each other. Each round, you're matched up against someone in the overall table and play them. If you win your round, you get 3 overall points while a loss gets you 0 points. Let's say there are 10 people in the table. If you played each person 2 times, you have a total of 20 games. Someone who wins all 20 gets a total of 60 points and is first in the table rankings while someone who loses all 20 games gets 0 points and is last in the table rankings.

Hope that helped

16. Haunted Ditto

Ditto
    (Ditto)
    Level 28
    PokéPoints:
    ₽775.5
    But we are probably going to make everyone fight each other only once. Twice takes too long.

Vigilance likes this.
  17. Vigilance

Fletchling
    (Fletchling)
    Level 54
    PokéPoints:
    ₽404.2
    Yep, just an example, sorry for the confusion.

18. Jupjami

Hollow
    (Trevenant)
    Level 66
    PokéPoints:
    ₽7,572.7
    If I remember correctly, I think they used something like that in one of Ash's leagues... Silver Conference, no~?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.