1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

The Pokémon Platinum "I hate myself" challenge

Discussion in 'Other Pokémon Games' started by Nate, Mar 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nate

pooper scooper
    (Meltan)
    Level 2
    PokéPoints:
    ₽121.9
    So having recently played through Platinum again I realized that it has a ton of annoying or hard to get Pokémon in it. It's really one of the last games to have a bunch of Pokémon like this that aren't legendary. That's when I got this awful idea. What if you had to play through the entire game using only the hard to get Pokémon. Alright it can't be that bad right? Well let me explain what you'd have to use and what you need to do to obtain these Pokémon. I only have four at the moment so if you can think of more that would be great. I'm debating including Unown !/? in this but they're just so bad.

1. Heracross. This one is actually one of the easiest. It has a low percent chance of appearing on honey trees. It may actually take a lot longer than you'd think but it's also overall straightforward. All you need to do is keep slathering bark on each honey tree and then come back later in the day until you find that Heracross.

2. Spiritomb. In order to get Spiritomb you need to have talked to 32 people in the Sinnoh Underground. This was a local multiplayer mode that I played a lot back in the day. What you need to obtain Spiritomb is two DS or 3DS family systems and another copy of D/P/Pt on top of the one you already are using and both need to be past the first gym so you can go underground. Then, have whatever game is not your main one have the character sit underground and with your main copy being used in the challenge, go underground and greet the other player. After this, go above ground and repeat 31 more times. It's not hard but it will take a really long time.

3. Feebas. Feebas was a pain to obtain in gens 3 and 4. In Platinum, it can be found in the Mt. Coronet basement on your way to the northern snow routes. In this area is a large patch of water. Feebas is randomized onto 4 of these many water tiles each day. Yup, it changes every single day. Not to mention, it's only a 50% chance on these four tiles so make sure to fish twice on each spot to increase the chances. You can mix records with another player locally so you can make it easier to find that day's Feebas spots but it still is going to take forever... unless your me who found it in like the 10th tile. Then there's the process of evolving it which takes tons of beauty poffins. Hope you like spinning the stylus in circles!

4. Munchlax. Oh gosh no. Please no. This is Heracross but combine it with Feebas. At the start of every playthrough, depending on your OT number and secret ID, four of the honey trees will be randomized as Munchlax trees. Munchlax can only be found on these four trees. Not only that, but it's only a 1% chance at each of these trees. This is going to take so much patience. There are ways to figure out what two of your Munchlax trees are, try googling it to find the calculator for this, but even then you still have to keep waiting on the honey trees and then when a Pokémon shows up it's still a 1% chance. Have fun...

So those are the four I have now. Like I said, if there are other Pokémon you think should be added that'd be great. I may try to do this challenge myself someday but right now I just don't hate myself enough.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. PlatoXaiver

PlatoXaiver What did he forget? What did he remember?

PokéPoints:
    ₽68.2
    What about the legendary
    Mythical

Shiny Female Combee

Beffie likes this.
  3. shinygiratinaz

shinygiratinaz Boats Against the Current

PokéPoints:
    ₽39.5
    Female combee would certainly be one I'd put up. It wouldn't be one of the really hard ones, but it's still frustrating trying to get one unless you're really lucky.

If you're really looking for ones to round out to six team members, then gible could be one. I don't really find gible too hard to obtain, but considering that its location is decently tricky to find and it's encounter rate isn't too high, the argument could be made that it could be used here.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. LostSpirit

Odd-ish
    (Oddish (J))
    Level 21
    PokéPoints:
    ₽995.7
    I don't really have any idea about super hard to catch Pokémon, but I can sympathize with you on the struggle you're going to go through. Good luck Nate! You're going to need it.

5. Bubbles

Crystal
    (Diancie Egg)
    Level 14
    PokéPoints:
    ₽121.5
    Mewnium Z  ★★★★★Ice Stone ★★★★Heart Scale ★★
    The ones you mentioned are some of the only ones I can recall, though I do remember Chimecho being pretty difficult to find in general regardless of where it's located in the wild. I think the chances of finding it are like 1-5%

6. Nauris

Nauris The King of Konchus

PokéPoints:
    ₽15.0
    How about starting your game with a shiny starter Pokémon? And if you want to be hardcore, shiny female starter Pokémon. You could give yourself a "nice" rule that you can only use Pokémon that had Pokerus when they were caught unless they are hard to find/get Pokémon like the ones you mentioned. Yes, I'm aware that you only have approx 1 in 21,845 chance to find a wild Pokémon that is infected with it, and you have no way of knowing it until after you have either caught or defeated it. But isn't that just perfect for this kind of a run?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.