1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Gameplay Journal The Pokemon Nuzlocke Race (Laserdragon14 vs Laser's Brother)

Discussion in 'Other Pokémon Games' started by Laserdragon14, Mar 24, 2019.

1. Laserdragon14

Laserdragon14 Dragon Maverick

Falchion
    (Honedge)
    Level 22
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,429.1
    Flame Orb ★★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★Poké Ball ★Trainer Card - Cave Theme
    I came up with this idea a while ago but anyway, My brother and I are going to have a nuzlocke race. He's going to play Pokémon Sun completely blind and I'm going to play Pokémon Y cause that's the one that I'm least familiar with. We picked each other's starters I was forced to choose Froakie/Bulbasaur and he was forced to pick Popplio (Cause I'm nice like that).

Rules:
    1. Fainted = dead (Can't use anymore)
    2. One Pokémon per route but doesn't have to be the first encounter (Excluding legends and shinies)
    3. Items that increase exp or levels (Including exp share) are not allowed to be used at any time.
    4. Since we only have 1 3ds my brother will have it on weekends and I'll have it on weekdays
    5. Whoever gets through the game with the least amount of runtime wins (One hour added to the runtime for each casualty)
    Edit: 6. All Pokémon must be nicknamed

The next post will have how my brother's first day goes. Wish us both luck! :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #1 Mar 24, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2019
  2. Bug

Bug Hiker

Kaen
    (Rayquaza Egg)
    Level 20
    PokéPoints:
    ₽185.4
    Best of luck on your nuzlocke! I think the concept of timed nuzlockes is fascinating, but that may just be because I've never logged a run under 100 hrs in-game time. Literally, how do y'all do it? I'll be watching this closely.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Laserdragon14 likes this.
  3. Bayporeon

Bayporeon School Kid

Hestia
    (Fennekin)
    Level 2
    PokéPoints:
    ₽68.0
    Oo good luck! I'm the same as Bug, I always put an excruciating amount of time into my Nuzlockes. I can't say I've seen this more permissive version of the encounter rule before, so I'm interested in seeing what catches you choose

4. Laserdragon14

Falchion
    (Honedge)
    Level 22
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,429.1
    Flame Orb ★★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★Poké Ball ★Trainer Card - Cave Theme
    Wow, my Brother's first day was fun to watch! He, of course, picked Popplio and captured a Pikipek on Route 1. He nearly lost already fighting a couple of electric types early on, but his pikipek managed to get him through and he managed to not lose any Pokémon (Though at one point his pikipek was at 6 HP!). After that nail-biting experience during the festival fight and a couple of trainer battles that followed, he's decided to grind for a bit. Thank goodness that he's made it through the first bit, cause this would have been way too short if he actually lost on the first couple of battles.

Current team:
    Popplio (Name: Atlantia): lvl 11
    Pikipek (Name: Woody): lvl 10

Current Runtime: 2:59
    Pokémon Lost: 0
    Total Runtime: 2:59

Now tomorrow, I will start my run through of Pokémon Y. Also, we discussed the rules beforehand and decided to tweak some of the regular rules. I wanted to do the first encounter catch rule but since it has been years since my brother has ever played Pokémon (like nearly 10 years), I decided to cave to my brother's demand of not having such a rule.

Bigredlittlepup, Bayporeon and Rezna like this.
  5. Rezna

Rezna Every Day's Great at Your Junes!

Why do eggs break ffree
    (Groudon Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽35.7
    Thunder Stone ★★★Water Stone ★★★Dawn Stone ★★★★Cooler Gary Oak ★★★★★Legendary Triforce ★★
    Seems fun! Can't wait to see how this ends!

6. Bug

Bug Hiker

Kaen
    (Rayquaza Egg)
    Level 20
    PokéPoints:
    ₽185.4
    I can totally get why you wouldn't have the first catch rule. Modified catch rules aren't uncommon, and this is totally within reason. :D

I can't wait to see your side of this log. You've already brought some character into your brother's, and I know that isn't easy to do when you're basically taking notes over someone else's shoulder.

7. Laserdragon14

Falchion
    (Honedge)
    Level 22
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,429.1
    My first day has so far been relatively easy, I chose Froakie and was easily able to get through the first couple of trainers. Fletchling in route 2 was my first catch, quickly followed by pikachu in Santalune Forest. After some grinding, I managed to also catch bunnelby in Route 3. After stopping by the Pokémon center, I started breezing through the gym trainers and quickly did more grinding before finally challenging gym leader Viola. The battle went mostly well except that I almost lost my pikachu to Vivillon (8 HP remaining)!

Current team:
    Bunnelby (Name: Bugs): lvl 11
    Froakie (Name: Tsunami): lvl 11
    Fletchling (Name: Phoenix): lvl 11
    Pikachu (Name: Shockwave): lvl 12

Current Runtime: 2:14
    Pokémon lost: 0
    Total Runtime: 2:14

Stay tuned tomorrow for another post on my adventure!

8. Bug

Bug Hiker

Kaen
    (Rayquaza Egg)
    Level 20
    PokéPoints:
    ₽185.4
    Hey, I just realized, are y'all counting the time the tutorial in SuMo takes? I know it may only be an hour or so in the scheme of thins, but that tutorial is whack.

9. Laserdragon14

Falchion
    (Honedge)
    Level 22
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,429.1
    I mean, might as well since he's got the easier game unless you can think of a reason to keep things balanced between the imbalance of difficulty
    Edit: also for simplicity's sake

#9 Mar 25, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2019
  10. Bug

Bug Hiker

Kaen
    (Rayquaza Egg)
    Level 20
    PokéPoints:
    ₽185.4
    Maybe not initially. I don't think SuMo is an easy nuzlocke compared to Y, but if you're not using exp share it is gonna hurt you. Hhhhhhh, it's tough to say.

11. Laserdragon14

Falchion
    (Honedge)
    Level 22
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,429.1
    I haven't had much time to play today cause school sucks. Anyway, all I basically did was grind on Route 4, fighting trainers, and catching a Flabebe. A relatively easy day but is it just the calm before the storm?

Current team:
    Flabebe (Name: Sunshine): lvl 10
    Bunnelby (Name: Bugs): lvl 12
    Froakie (Name: Tsunami): lvl 12
    Fletchling (Name: Phoenix): lvl 13
    Pikachu (Name: Shockwave): lvl 14

Current Runtime: 2:51
    Total Runtime: 2:51

Also, due to a change in my brother's work schedule, he'll be able to play tomorrow. So the next update will be for my brother's Sun playthrough!

12. Jeydis

Jeydis Midnight Gourmand

Boomer
    (Noibat)
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽5,036.7
    Poké Ball ★Trainer Card - Cave Theme
    So far so good! I kinda fell in love with Bunnelby and it's evo in my Gardener play through so hopefully it goes well with it.

Best of luck!

13. Bug

Bug Hiker

Kaen
    (Rayquaza Egg)
    Level 20
    PokéPoints:
    ₽185.4
    Pikachu is a nice catch! I keep forgetting it's in XY.

14. Laserdragon14

Falchion
    (Honedge)
    Level 22
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,429.1
    My brother played today and he actually got beaten by Team Skull Captain Ilima. Therefore by Nuzlocke rules, I'm the victor. But due to it being so early in the race, I've decided to let him try again from the beginning and until he catches up to me (To about 3ish hours into the game), I'll halt my race. GG Brother (Aka. the one who taught me how to play Pokémon in the first place).

Bug likes this.
  15. Bug

Bug Hiker

Kaen
    (Rayquaza Egg)
    Level 20
    PokéPoints:
    ₽185.4
    Ooooooh, that sucks. Best of luck to your brother in his next iteration.
    I think @Feymark had a run, or knew someone who did, have to restart SuMo quite a few times due to wipes... So, best of luck!

16. Laserdragon14

Falchion
    (Honedge)
    Level 22
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,429.1
    With my brother's new playthrough, he chose Popplio again and went all the way up to the point right before the Team Skull fights (Catching new Pokémon but I'll just name them when I name his current team). Anyway, best of luck to him to his new playthrough.

Current team:
    Magnamite (Name: Bolts): lvl 11
    Pikipek (Name: Woody): lvl 11
    Popplio (Name: Atlantia): lvl 11

Current Runtime: 3:22
    Pokémon lost: 2 (From the previous playthrough)
    Total Runtime: 5:22

Ouch on that extra runtime...But I have no doubts that I'll lose a couple of Pokémon and even things out. Anyway, tomorrow will be my turn on playing.

17. Laserdragon14

Falchion
    (Honedge)
    Level 22
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,429.1
    I met with Professor Sycamore and got my Bulbasaur, as per agreed upon before this playthrough began. I managed to get through route five and started the story arch with the pokeflute. I caught an abra on route five while doing some grinding. Managed to get some leveling done, but yeah, that's mostly what I've done today cause again school stuff got in the way.

Current Team:
    Abra (Name Tele): lvl 14
    Bulbasaur (Name: BulbBomb): lvl 14
    Bunnelby (Name: Bugs): lvl 15
    Froakie (Name: Tsunami): lvl 15
    Fletchling (Name: Phoenix): lvl 15
    Pikachu (Name: Shockwave): lvl 16

Current Runtime: 5:06
    Total Runtime: 5:06

I spent more time on this game than I initially thought I did...But anyway, tomorrow will still be my turn and it'll be Friday and the beginning of Spring Break! :3

18. Bug

Bug Hiker

Kaen
    (Rayquaza Egg)
    Level 20
    PokéPoints:
    ₽185.4
    Your team is coming along nicely! The abra is a nice catch, too. fsr I ALSO forgot about Abra being in XY. I can't imagine you having any death-based issues in the immediate future, ie Grant.

19. Laserdragon14

Falchion
    (Honedge)
    Level 22
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,429.1
    All I did today was train on route 6, evolved Froakie, Bulbasaur, and Abra, and caught a honedge. I'm going to spend the weekend debating on whether or not I'm going to add honedge to the team and if I do, who would I replace.

Current team:
    Bunnelby (Name: Bugs): lvl 16
    Kadabra (Name Tele): lvl 16
    Fletchling (Name: Phoenix): lvl 16
    Frogadier (Name: Tsunami): lvl 16
    Ivysaur (Name: BulbBomb): lvl 16
    Pikachu (Name: Shockwave): lvl 17

Current Runtime: 5:50
    Total Runtime: 5:50

20. Laserdragon14

Falchion
    (Honedge)
    Level 22
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,429.1
    My Brother really had a FUN day today. He caught an abra before losing it to a Yumgoos. Then he caught an alolan diglett before losing that to an alolan rattata. He did the challenge and won easily since, by the time that he chose to start it, his Pokémon were two levels above the totem Pokémon. Afterword, he caught a bagon and started leveling it to where the other Pokémon are currently at.

Current team:
    Bagon (Name: Mushu): lvl 15
    Brionne (Name: Atlanta): lvl 19
    Magnamite (Name: Bolts): lvl 20
    Trumbeak (Name: Woody): lvl 20

Current Runtime: 9:48
    Pokémon lost: 4
    Total Runtime: 13:48

...No comment...