1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

The rise and fall of Virtual Reality

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Halcyon Storm, Mar 18, 2018.

1. Halcyon Storm

Halcyon Storm Joking motive

Sewaddle
    (Sewaddle)
    Level 11
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,463.8
    Remember when those goofy goggles were first announced, and everyone said this was going to be revolutionary, and the biggest change in video game history since the E.T.'s video game crash? Well, that's been a couple years now, and it seems like either that revolution still has yet to come, or it's never going to come at all. VR isn't much more than a gimmick.

Anyone here have experience with VR? If so, what's your opinion on it? If not, what do you think about VR?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Tepig

Tepig The Talking Tepig

Fire Nation
    (Groudon Egg)
    Level 29
    PokéPoints:
    ₽595.9
    Assault Vest ★★★★Flame Orb ★★★★★Black Glasses ★★★★Red Orb ★★★★★
    Only VR I have is a set for mobile, the Gear VR. I would use it, but I need to log into Facebook before I can. Since I don't have Facebook, I ain't playing it anytime soon.

3. Butternut

Butternut The Coolest Spider

Joltik
    (Joltik)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,905.8
    Mewnium Z  ★★★★★Black Glasses ★★★★Red Orb ★★★★★Ultra BallCrown of Valor
    I’ve worn a VR thing like once, but I’ve seen a lot of it on youtube. It’s really cool. I don’t think it will bring a full on revolution, but they are still working on making it better and who knows, maybe in the future it’ll be more than just a gimmick.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Eclipse

SkittleBox
    (Staryu)
    Level 82
    PokéPoints:
    ₽7.0
    Marshadium Z ★★★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★Comet Shard ★★★★Mewnium Z  ★★★★★
    I think it's going to be one of those things like Tesla Motors, where it will become a money sink for years and never get anywhere, and then something fantastic and technology-wise will happen to make it mainstream and accessible to everybody - and also appeal to a wide group of people.

I'm not sure if it's something I myself would feel appealing - my eyes are somewhat sensitive and I am somewhat prone to motion sickness - but I hope that, from a business standpoint, it becomes more feasible and goes places.

5. ShinigamiMiroku

Sorceress' Knight
    (Ralts ♂)
    Level 23
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,354.4
    Red Orb ★★★★★
    I've played VR games before (and I'm talking those old ones, where it was just the bulky headset and you were playing those old FPS games like Doom or Dark Forces), but I've always been interested in the concept. Despite the 'hype' dying down, I've seen some really incredible stuff developed for it, both on the hardware and software sides, and I look forward to the day it becomes inexpensive enough for the mainstream to get and enjoy it.

It really is revolutionary, but it takes time to transition from revolutionary to affordable. Look at the automobile.

6. FireSpartan5

FireSpartan5 Pokémon Professor

Zane
    (Genesect Egg)
    Level 5
    PokéPoints:
    ₽866.4
    Cooler Gary Oak ★★★★★Tapunium Z ★★★★★Choice Specs ★★★★★Flame Orb ★★★★★
    I haven't seen much about it, but either I'm missing something or for VR to get anywhere it first has to improve it's graphics. Then again, I have only seen like two things on it and only via YouTube, so I'm probably wrong.

7. Neb

Neb Cosmog Enthusiast

AZ
    (Flabébé (O))
    Level 12
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,240.2
    GS Ball ★★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★Poké Ball ★Potion ★Oran Berry ★★
    Both times I wore a VR headset, my double vision got worse and I developed a migraine. For my health, it would be best if I avoid the technology.

I also find the idea of completely cutting out the outside world by wearing a digital headset rather creepy. It sounds like something out of an old sci-fi novel.

For those reasons, I’ll most likely be an out of touch guy who sticks to external screens if VR becomes the standard for entertainment.

#7 Oct 5, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2019
  8. BZRich64

BZRich64 The Mustachiod Machamp

Late For A Date
    (Bunnelby)
    Level 14
    PokéPoints:
    ₽7,010.7
    I've never actually tried virtual reality before. The idea seems interesting, but I probably won't be getting into for at least another few years. Although I am kind of curious what it will be like when we have the technology to simulate all of the senses through virtual reality. Things like amusement parks and hunting (for sport) will become completely redundant when people can have the same experiences without having to actually go anywhere or have to deal with things like having to wait in line. Even shopping will be revolutionized when they can combine all of the benefits of going to a store and online shopping into a single experience.

9. Katanaeyegaming

Katanaeyegaming #FEARTHEWYVERN

Darklit
    (Liepard)
    Level 44
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,810.3
    Poké Ball ★Potion ★Oran Berry ★★Thunder Stone ★★★Helix Fossil ★★★
    This thread should be titled the fall and further fall of virtual reality as being real because of how goddamn expensive they are I don't see them ever becoming mainstream.

Go ahead VR make me eat my words