1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

The Starter Nobody Chooses

Discussion in 'Pokémon General' started by Mandriel, Apr 20, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Mandriel

Mandriel Valor Knight

Agravaine
    (Giratina Egg)
    Level 15
    PokéPoints:
    ₽34.9
    Red Orb ★★★★★Tapunium Z ★★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★Galladite ★★★★
    Is there a starter in each game that no matter how many times you've played, you've never picked it? Is there a starter that you'll never choose in any playthrough of a game? Have you ever seen a starter and thought 'I will never choose you'?

For me, these starters are Chikorita and Piplup. I don't know any good moves Chikorita's line can learn early on in G/S/C and I never liked the Piplup line's designs. Chespin is almost one of these for me thanks to Quilladin, but Chesnaught looks awesome.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. JadeFox

JadeFox Valor Veteran

Manchot
    (Piplup)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽91.6
    Premier Ball ★Beast Ball ★★★★Park Ball ★★★Mewnium Z  ★★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★
    I never picked Chimchar. I don't like its design, I've never really liked Fire starters (except for Cyndaquil and Torchic), and I don't like how it gains the Fighting type later on. When I played Platinum, I either had Piplup or Turtwig. But not Chimchar.

I also don't really pick Totodile. Why? It doesn't really suit my liking. I pick Cyndaquil just for the fact of seeing Silver get Totodile, and have a sinister looking Pokémon as a Partner.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Mandriel likes this.
  3. Strytho

Strytho Giveaway Enthusiast

Xerneas Egg
    (Xerneas Egg)
    Level 8
    PokéPoints:
    ₽485.4
    Friend Ball ★★★★Beast Ball ★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★Lure Ball ★★★★Basic Gary Oak ★
    I can't I have a starter I never choose because I always use all the starters at some point or another. When a new gen comes out I always go through my journey with all 3 of them on my team and I take them all the way through. Are there some starters I use more than others? Yes, but for the most part I tend to use and like all the starters for one reason or another.

4. SnowboundBecca

SnowboundBecca Scarf Enthusiast

Jet Stone
    (Froakie)
    Level 27
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,335.7
    Marshadium Z ★★★★★Beast Ball ★★★★Black Glasses ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★Legendary Triforce ★★
    I always pick the water types as my first starter to any game, but I also tend to use the other starters whenever I restart just to see how well they'd do on a personal level. I like all of them to varying degrees.

However, the only one I have never chosen is Chikorita, simply because of its many weaknesses to the gyms of the Johto region. I mean seriously... Flying AND bug for the first two gyms? That's a death sentence for a pure grass type. ...Which is a shame, because I really like Meganium too. :(

Mandriel likes this.
  5. CharlieWeasleyfan

Shiny Roggenrola
    (Roggenrola)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽201.2
    Trainer Card - Cave ThemeRocky Helmet ★★★★★Staff of VerityExp. Share ★★
    Rowlet. He becomes rather useless after a few tials.

6. Cadbberry

Cadbberry Dad: 76.... Or Cad: 76

Cosmo
    (Eevee (KS))
    Level 12
    PokéPoints:
    ₽654.3
    Marshadium Z ★★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★Mewnium Z  ★★★★★
    I never chose Chicorita since I didn't like Meganium, the design, it looks nice but jut isn't my style.
    I never chose mudkip because of the memes also it never really was enough for me. I just didn't like the way it looks and its evolutions, it is one of the more odd changes to me in a Pokémon line.
    I never chose Chimchar, I am a very design based person, so for me, I just couldn't stand the look of it. Now though I enjoy the line but I can't pick Chimchar when Piplup and turtwig exist.
    I didn't choose tepig or oshawott ever, nor will I. I like tepig but then another fire fighting sumo pig what now!? no thanks. Also, Oshawott was not a good design, at all.
    I also can't stand Chespin, it looks so awful in my opinion, it also never gets better, the entire line is just a garbled mess.

I think thats all sooo... Yeah

7. Crest

Crest Hex Maniac

Tirion
    (Articuno Egg)
    Level 5
    PokéPoints:
    ₽198.0
    I've never used Chimchar, Chespin, Tepig, or Chikorita; with the exception of Meganium, I don't really like any of their final forms all that much. I've at least given Chimchar a try once or twice, but I didn't get far on thag save file before I reset and picked a different starter.

8. Griefing_g0lem

Griefing_g0lem Three Minded

PokéPoints:
    ₽45.0
    I will never choose any of the Gen 2 starter Pokémon. I for some reason can't get into liking any of them. I can at least tolerate all of the other Pokémon, but for some reason, I will take anything else over the Gen 2 starters.

9. Mandriel

Mandriel Valor Knight

Agravaine
    (Giratina Egg)
    Level 15
    PokéPoints:
    ₽34.9
    Although Chimchar is my favourite gen 4 starter (possibly because it's the first starter I ever chose), I always found its flaming butt a little off-putting

JadeFox likes this.
  10. Xarn

Xarn Sponsor

Dragonite
    (Dragonite)
    Level 56
    PokéPoints:
    ₽316.9
    Mudkip, Bulbasaur, Chikorita, Piplup, Oshawatt, Fennekin. Never picked them, will never happen I think.

Actually only played S/M with Decidueye so my answer won't include this game,

Mandriel likes this.
  11. GiratinaMissingNo

GiratinaMissingNo ~Renegade Glitch~

Percy
    (Moltres Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽467.5
    But-but the prank possibilities!
    Although I don't like the idea of a monkey with a constantly-burning ass on my team.

This will be a HUGE post, so it's spoiler time!

Gen 1 was a good gen for me-in terms of starters. People give Bulbasaur crap for being 'that starter no one picks' because Red and Blue, the ever-constant Genwunner heroes, chose Charmander and Squirtle. Venusaur is a cool and interesting creature, guys!

Gen 2? Well...Silver yes yes YES-oh wait-we're talking about starters, right...ha ha...
    Chikorita is...decent. In terms of design, movepool...yeah, just decent. I actually love Totodile a lot, and the thought of my jackass rival having a pretty aromatic lei-wearing flower-saur made me laugh. However, I also love Cyndaquil. So cute, and Typhlosion is awesome.

3. Gen 3. The gen of the unchoosable starters. Sceptile, Blaziken, or Swampert? It was always a struggle between Torchic and Treecko for me, but I loved Blaziken so much, enough to balance out the goofy middle evo.

Four...Tris. FourTris. And this is not the time. Sorry.
    I actually have a weird fear of monkeys, I don't know why. I just really, really, REALLY hate them. And watching Catching Fire did not help that fear. Not one bit. And Fire-Fighting is now a REALLY sore spot with me. Blaziken? Badass. Infernape? Decent. Emboar? We'll get to that.
    Steel-Water is WASTED, freaking WASTED on Empoleon. Come on, a TUX?! Torterra for the win!

Fifth. Let's get right to it, Snivy rules, Oshawott is adorable, and Tepig is the worst case of wasted potential Game Freak has ever forced on us. Serperiour is a beautiful, majestic beast of a Grass-typed snake, Samorott is cool too. Emboar rant below.

Sixth? It's pretty well-known that I am not currently filing under 'Greninja-fangirl'. See my giant rant on 'Greninja' on Sun and Moon to see just how much I love the thing. Chestnaught is cool, but Quilladin ruins it for me. Delphox, I guess? Disappointing.

Seventh. Incineroar rant later. I freaking LOVE Decidueye, and Dartrix's goofiness has grown on me. Primarina is awesome too.
    I think it's really IN OUR SPOTLIGHT.
    #PopplioDefenseSquad

My promised Emboar rant. Everyone: OH GOD NOOO
    Fire-Flying is okay, I can handle the 4x Rock weakness. Charizard's Mega's make it okay anyways. Typhlosion? Can't get mad at it. Blaziken was the original Fire-Fighting starter, and MY GOD it is awesome. That beautiful, fearsome cry, that incredible design, Blaziken is, in my (completely right) opinion, the ONLY Fire-Fighting starter Game Freak got right before their John Cena fire Pokémon turned into complete and utter CRAP. Infernape? Yay, a baboon with a flaming ass. I'm sure to put that on my team. But Emboar.
    Fuck Emboar.
    I HATE the thing. Tepig is a cute and sweet-looking bacon piece that had so much potential, it wasn't even funny. A lava-warthog? Cool! A boar with fire? Exactly what Game Freak always does, but probably cool looking. The hype was building. A lava-boar! A cool pig with fire-inspired SOMETHING!
    Emboar.

Pignite is a fat-ass piiece of crap wearing a LEOTARD, for crying out loud. But Emboar was the LAST FUCKING STRAW. There is NOTHING good about the thing's design! NOTHING! It has BUCK TEETH. And is it wearing...no...it's...it's wearing...
    A FUCKING WRESTLING SUIT.
    Welp, hand me the bleach.

I could go on, but I think I've ranted long enough...
    #MissingNo

Jupjami and Mandriel like this.
  12. Mandriel

Mandriel Valor Knight

Agravaine
    (Giratina Egg)
    Level 15
    PokéPoints:
    ₽34.9
    I really loved Tepig and then I saw the hot mess it evolved into (no pun intended). Although I never minded the fire/fighting typing, it's design stopped me from choosing it in my first few playthroughs

GiratinaMissingNo likes this.
  13. GiratinaMissingNo

GiratinaMissingNo ~Renegade Glitch~

Percy
    (Moltres Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽467.5
    The Fire-Fighting typing is fine, I actually like the idea. It's design though...no. Just...no.
    #MissingNo

14. BraviaryScout

BraviaryScout Way of the Wind

Bravo
    (Braviary)
    Level 66
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,847.3
    Crown of ValorPoké Ball ★
    The one starter that I haven't found myself really liking is Oshawott. While I do really love its design into the samurai motif; I find its stats and pure water typing to be lackluster. I felt like Samurott should have been given the fighting secondary type instead of Emboar. The fact that it hides swords inside its forelegs is epic enough tho. Although we didn't know it at the time; that would have made a good folly to Greninja's dark. I actually don't mind the fire/fighting type, just not again for either a while or on a future fire starter.
    Anyway, the Oshawott family isn't particularly fast, strong or defensive, it's kind of a multipurpose starter based on its BST.

If it was me, I'd give Samurott a water/fighting and make Emboar fire/ground

FireSpartan5 likes this.
  15. ClefairyKid

ClefairyKid (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻)

PokéPoints:
    ₽854.6
    Psychium Z ★★★★Poké Doll ★★Waterium Z ★★★★Ice Stone ★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★
    Never use Froakie ; w ; not a fan of frog forms XD

16. FireSpartan5

FireSpartan5 Pokémon Professor

Zane
    (Genesect Egg)
    Level 5
    PokéPoints:
    ₽866.4
    Cooler Gary Oak ★★★★★Tapunium Z ★★★★★Choice Specs ★★★★★Flame Orb ★★★★★
    I agree with you guys about Tepig. Its base form is my favorite of any starter, but its evolutions were extremely disappointing. And a Water-Fighting Samurott would have been awesome! But Tepig's base form is enough to make me choose it occasionally. There are only two starters I will never choose. Chikorita and Popplio. Popplio I feel is over-feminized, and while it has a lot of upsides, I just prefer Incineroar and Decidueye a lot more. Delphox was feminine done well, but I think Primarina was a bit too much. I just find Chikorita's entire line of evolution bland. The other Johto starters are much cooler in my opinion.

Jupjami, Mandriel and BraviaryScout like this.
  17. BraviaryScout

BraviaryScout Way of the Wind

Bravo
    (Braviary)
    Level 66
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,847.3
    Crown of ValorPoké Ball ★
    I do like Primarina's design and wouldn't have much of a problem with it if the gender ratios were reversed. You have this feminine starter that has a one in eight chance of being a girl...really? :/:

18. AeroHail

AeroHail No dogs on the moon

Eevee (KS)
    (Eevee (KS))
    Level 17
    PokéPoints:
    ₽13,295.8
    Love Ball ★★★★★Grassium Z ★★★★King's Rock ★★★
    Never chose Treecko, Chimchar or Tepig. But I've gave all the other starters a try. I just don't overly like the designs of those three.

My two favourite starters are Chikorita and Popplio so I'm maybe in a minority here hahah

Mandriel likes this.
  19. PikaandChu

PokéPoints:
    ₽166.5
    I've usually always despised a starter in some of the games.

I didn't use Totodile in G or HG because... Feraligatr just didn't appeal to me. I'd always choose between Chikorita and Cyndaquil, and most of the time, Chikorita wins.

Even when I started at Gen 3, I just never used Mudkip and Treecko. I mean, man, I don't like their designs. Sceptile was okay, but not the best. Mudkip's line is... a mess. This is why I ended up using Torchic in Sapphire and Alpha Sapphire.

I had no real issues with the starters of Gen 4 at first, but... Infernape's design, after being revealed, really made me disappointed in Chimchar. Turtwig was okay, but Piplup was the ones I always picked in Diamond, and probably when the remakes of Gen 4 come out.

My favorite in Gen 5 was Snivy, I liked the regal serpent-snake design. Oshawott was cute, but I really didn't like Tepig at first. I'm currently running Tepig in my Nuzlocke of Black, and Tepig is quite useful on the second and third gyms of Unova.

I made a huge mistake on Gen 6. I chose Chespin, and I regretted my decision once I saw Chesnaught in action. My god, that 4x weakness to flying. I-i can't. Froakie never appealed to me. It's just... there's so many things that weird about him that I didn't like. Even Greninja didn't turn the tables around. (He was cool in the anime though, but that was only for anime Greninja) Ever since I replayed my Pokèmon X game, I'd always choose Fennekin. Always.

In Gen 7, heh, I chose Popplio. I mean, yeah sure, people think Popplio's dumb, but I really liked its design for some strange reason. Also, I wasn't fond of Rowlet and I actually hated Rowlet for making Popplio the internet's new punching bag. Litten came close to this one, but Popplio always won in my Moon save.

My favorite starters of all are Chikorita and Popplio. :) Don't hate. Spread love xD

Mandriel and AeroHail like this.
  20. Auric

Auric Platinum Addict

Another one!!??!
    (Azelf)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽35.6
    Black Glasses ★★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★Poké Ball ★Soda Pop ★Oran Berry ★★
    I have used pretty much all the starters except chikorita and squirtle, because they're not very reliable for me.