1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

The Starter Nobody Chooses

Discussion in 'Pokémon General' started by Mandriel, Apr 20, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Kiyase

Kiyase Sailor

Etain
    (Growlithe)
    Level 5
    PokéPoints:
    ₽15.7
    Poké Ball ★Amulet Coin ★★★
    I usually pick the fire starters(except for gen V). I never picked Totodile, Tepig, Chespin, or Rowlet. But, I was thinking of using Tepig when I replay my Pokémon White 2 game, even though I don't really like the design of its final evolution.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Mandriel likes this.
  2. FrennyDaFren

FrennyDaFren School Kid

PokéPoints:
    ₽36.4
    I have never chosen Squirtle, Tepig, or Chespin. I really don't know why, but they just don't interest me at all.

3. adventure

adventure Bug Catcher

Kitty
    (Vulpix)
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽62.3
    Until recently, I had never picked Totodile. I always went with Cyndaquil, or occasionally Chikorita in my Johto playthroughs when I wanted more challenge. But Totodile turns out to be pretty awesome in SS! High Attack stat and learns Bite and Ice Fang and stuff.

Treecko however, I've never liked using. Mudkip and its evos are endlessly more useful, and even though I quite like Treecko and Grovyle's designs, I like the Torchic line (and fire/fighting typing) much more. Same with Turtwig really, except I don't like that line's design in any stage haha.

4. p_sychic

p_sychic Youngster

PokéPoints:
    ₽25.3
    I played every game twice (except S&M) and chose different starters, starting with Firered at first I chose the Charmander because I liked it's 3rd evolution design and thought it'd be a pretty badass Pokémon, I'm glad he did not disappoint me. Second time I went with Squirtle.

In Pokémon SoulSilver, I chose Cyndaquil and received a shiny one, then chose a Totodile.

In Pokémon Emerald, I chose my favorite starter till now which is Torchic, then I chose Mudkip.

In Pokémon Platinum, I chose Chimchar. (Honestly I haven't played this one twice)

In Pokémon BW/B2W2, I chose Oshawott then Snivy.

In Pokémon X/Y, I chose Froakie then Fennekin.

I don't usually pick grass type Pokémon, as you can see I chose only one grass type starter which is Snivy.
    If the question is what is the starter nobody chooses, It's probably Bulbasaur. I see a lot of people going for other starters, fire, water and grass, but Bulbasaur is for some reason rarely chosen. Even though Bulbasaur wouldn't struggle against Brock, Misty or even Lt. Surge. I honestly think most of people dislike him because of his design, but I don't really have a problem with designs, so the only reason I could dislike Bulbasaur for is that I dislike starting a game with a grass type Pokémon.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Morgaine

Morgaine Goddess of Shinies

Bolero
    (Litleo ♀)
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽5.7
    Crown of ValorSoothe Bell ★Heart Scale ★★Ice Stone ★★★★
    The starters I never choose are Rowlet, Tepig, and Chespin. I just do not like them.

6. Ethereal

Ethereal LV Lurker

Luigia
    (Lugia Egg)
    Level 12
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,311.7
    Thunder Stone ★★★Poké Doll ★★
    I never choose Fennekin, Chikorita, Turtwig, or Treecko. All the other starters I'd give a go since I like their evolutions.
    These four? Nope. Delphox ruined the Fennekin line for me, as did Sceptile with the Treecko line.
    The other two lines I'm just not a fan of, although I'll admit I do like Bayleef.

7. OzoneFruit

OzoneFruit Made The Arcadia Virus a Cute Anime Girl

Minior (Core Indigo)
    (Minior (Core Indigo))
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽788.4
    Lucky Punch ★★★★★Eject Button ★★★★Castelia Cone ★★★Leftovers ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★
    RIP Bulbasaur and Chikorita. I will likely never pick you. Ever. MAYBE Bulbasaur cuz Mega Venusaur is pretty darn useful actually, but Meganium is just.... eck.

8. Wolf Expert

Wolf Expert Canine Scholar

Wolf
    (Riolu)
    Level 24
    PokéPoints:
    ₽761.2
    Moon Ball ★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★Premier Ball ★Friend Ball ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★
    I'm not a fan of water types. Piplup and Mudkip (no, I don't liek Mudkipz) are probably my least favorite starters. In fact, I don't know that I have EVER used a Piplup. Usually I at least grab the other starters at the end of the game for the sake of the dex, but I have never used Piplup on a team before.

9. Junkrat

Junkrat Demolitions Expert

Articuno Egg
    (Articuno Egg)
    Level 6
    PokéPoints:
    ₽571.7
    Park Ball ★★★
    I try to choose every starter at least once in each of my playthroughs. However, in my HG playthroughs, I've never chosen a Chikorita. It's not like I dislike it or anything- I just, I dunno. Cyndaquil and Totodile are just so much more fun to use. Sorry, Chik :^(

10. Laserdragon14

Laserdragon14 Dragon Maverick

Falchion
    (Honedge)
    Level 22
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,429.1
    Flame Orb ★★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★Poké Ball ★Trainer Card - Cave Theme
    eh, grass types are not really my thing since they have too many weaknesses, not saying that I never choose a grass type but they are not my first choice in a play through.

11. colours

colours » seedFLARE

Larvitar
    (Larvitar)
    Level 78
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,982.2
    Friend Ball ★★★★Dawn Stone ★★★★Leaf Stone ★★★Grassium Z ★★★★Waterium Z ★★★★
    Tepig.

I'm just not into the whole fire boar thing. It's not really that interesting to me. :<

12. ChocoChicken

Krysmus Azelv (lol)
    (Krysmus Azelv)
    Level 34
    PokéPoints:
    ₽10,236.9
    Misty's EmblemLegendary Triforce ★★
    I don’t use Chespin much. And I avoid Litten with a death sentence. (I just really hate cats, okay?)

Jupjami likes this.
  13. Jupjami

Jupjami Thy friendly neighbourhood birb shaman

Hollow
    (Trevenant)
    Level 66
    PokéPoints:
    ₽7,572.7
    Leaf Stone ★★★Dragon Scale ★★★Darkinum Z ★★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★Reaper Cloth ★★★
    @ChocoChicken vü is not ōnly one~

Anywāy if Įa rātes starters from 1-5 this will be result:
    ∞: Trēēcko!!!
    5: Çharmander, Sqŭirtle, Pikaçhu, Tōtōdīle, Frōakiē
    4: Cyndaqŭil, Mudkip, Turtwig
    3: Bulbasaur, Çhimçhar, Piplup, Oşhawott, Rowlet
    2: Ēēvēē, Torçhic, Snīvy, Çhespin
    1: Çhikorita, Tepig, Fennekin
    -∞: Litten, Poppliō (Just. Disgustińg.)

Sō bāsically, Įa will NEVER ūse Çhikorita, Tepig, Fennekin, Litten, and Poppliō.

14. Chicken

Chicken Cringe Overlord

Sven
    (Fennekin)
    Level 51
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,412.1
    Ice Stone ★★★★Icy Rock ★★★
    The only starters I have ever used are Squirtle and Torchic, as I have only played those two games if PMD doesn't count. (Even if it DOES count, I've only ever picked Torchic.) I never replay any Pokémon games because I really don't see the point. The starters I won't use would probably the ones I don't pick on my first run, because I probably wouldn't do a second.

15. RWBY Gaster

Root Seed
    (Root Seed)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽489.0
    King's Rock ★★★Poké Ball ★Potion ★Oran Berry ★★Thunder Stone ★★★
    Bulbasaur. No reason. Just Bulbasaur

16. Hraesvelgr

Hraesvelgr Snek in Your Boot

Zapdos Egg
    (Zapdos Egg)
    Level 21
    PokéPoints:
    ₽11,944.4
    Trainer Card - Cave ThemeDragon Fang ★★★★Philosopher's CowlWater Stone ★★★Great Ball ★★
    I'm pretty sure I've played with them all but the one I would probably not choose again is Chikorita, sorry Meganium you got a nice design and all but you're just not that great which is such a shame.

17. BZRich64

BZRich64 The Mustachiod Machamp

Late For A Date
    (Bunnelby)
    Level 14
    PokéPoints:
    ₽6,900.9
    I don't recall if I've ever chosen Bulbasaur before, but that's mostly because I almost always go with Charmander. (Wait, now that I think of it I started a Nuzlocke last year where I ended up with Bulbasaur. I need to get back to that some day.)
    I'm pretty sure I've never chosen Chikorita. I'd say its because Chikorita's evolution line is really plain looking, but I thing Cyndaquil might actually be more plain-looking. Mostly I just go with Totodile because it's the best Gen II starter in terms of design.
    I've never chosen Mudkip before, but that has less to do with not liking it and more with me just liking all of the Gen III starters and only having two playthroughs of the Hoenn games.
    I've technically never chosen any of the Gen IV starters becuase I haven't played any of those games before.
    I've only played one Gen V game, which means that Oshawott in the only one from those games that I have chosen.
    The Gen VI starters are in the same boat as Gen IV in that I simply haven't played X or Y so I haven't had the opportunity playing those games.
    I haven't chosen Popplio before, but that's because I've only had two playthroughs of the Gen VII games.

18. LostSpirit

Odd-ish
    (Oddish (J))
    Level 21
    PokéPoints:
    ₽995.7
    I've never picked Tepig. It just isn't interesting to me. I mean, we've seen so many Fire/Fighting evos over the years, it just felt overdone. Not a fan. It is cute as just a Tepig though.

FireSpartan5 likes this.
  19. TripleAAABattery

TripleAAABattery Look at my fluff! LOOK AT IT

Gottem
    (Eevee (K))
    Level 45
    PokéPoints:
    ₽991.0
    Ok, so:
    Gen 1: I never picked Charmander. Yeah, I know, I'm basically committing a crime against Pokémon right now, but I've used Squirtle once, and Bulbasaur a whole lot. Even in X/Y when we could choose a second starter, I picked Bulbasaur. Not saying I WOULDN'T pick Charmander, but... eh. Not the biggest fan.
    Gen 2: I've used all of these starters, although I've chosen Cyndaquil the least. No particular reason why.
    Gen 3: Out of the three starters, I've chosen Mudkip the most, with Treecko second, and Torchic a total of one time. I just prefer swampert over them tbh.
    Gen 4: I've mostly picked Turtwig, although I picked Chimchar a couple of times. I like the Piplup line, but it's kinda... ech.
    Gen 5: I've used all three of these starters as I've played gen 5 games many, many, many times.
    Gen 6: Haven't picked Froakie. I've had too many bad experiences with it in competitive (mostly of it being used against me) to really like using it.
    Gen 7: Haven't picked Litten yet, although I might in the near future

20. Grimwave

Grimwave Decepticon

Megatron
    (Beldum)
    Level 7
    PokéPoints:
    ₽153.2
    Dome Fossil ★★★Premier Ball ★Darkinum Z ★★★★Reaper Cloth ★★★Luxury Ball ★★★
    There’s three starters I’ll never pick: Chimchar, Tepig and Popplio. The first two’s designs really don’t appeal to me, and the evolutions of the latter.