1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Spoilers The visuals so far

Discussion in 'Switch Pokémon Games' started by Gwoomy, Feb 28, 2019.

1. Gwoomy

Gwoomy french goo

HOLY SHIT
    (MissingNo.)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽6,661.8
    Dragon Scale ★★★Marshadium Z ★★★★★Helix Fossil ★★★Legendary Triforce ★★Animal Crossing Leaf ★
    What do you think of Shield & Sword's visuals after watching the trailer? Are they appealing to you? Do you despise them? No idea?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. SnowboundBecca

SnowboundBecca Scarf Enthusiast

Jet Stone
    (Froakie)
    Level 27
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,335.7
    Marshadium Z ★★★★★Beast Ball ★★★★Black Glasses ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★Legendary Triforce ★★
    I know some people were pretty underwhelmed by them since they were expecting something along the lines of "LoZ: Breath of the Wild" or "Super Mario Odyssey", but I personally like the "Let's Go" visuals for Sword and Shield. They look like something out of a painting.

I also really like the "industrialism and nature" theme they're going for here. I wish to see what kind of ideas they have for this, I can only imagine the possibilities.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Ethereal

Ethereal LV Lurker

Luigia
    (Lugia Egg)
    Level 12
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,311.7
    Thunder Stone ★★★Poké Doll ★★
    I like them. Yeah, they aren't the best graphics we've seen on the Switch, but they still look fairly nice. A lot better than LGPE at least.

EDIT: So after having a closer look at the trailer and screen shots I don't think the graphics are quite as good as what I originally thought. The Pokémon models themselves look fine, but the background and environments need improvements done to them imo. Some of the details look very blurry and flat. This is especially obvious with the mountains, the grass, and the trees. I really hope they fix up the graphics before release, but I worry that might not happen.

#3 Feb 28, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2019
  4. TripleAAABattery

TripleAAABattery Look at my fluff! LOOK AT IT

Gottem
    (Eevee (K))
    Level 45
    PokéPoints:
    ₽991.0
    It's let's go pikachu/eevee, but much better imo. Graphics were never a big thing for me but Galar looks really nice so far.

5. Wizard

Wizard Do you feel it? The moon's power!

Cupidueye
    (Decidueye (Cupid))
    Level 113
    PokéPoints:
    ₽9,446.0
    Pokémon is a series that I do not want to be hyper realistic. This graphical style is fitting, and it honestly looks great! The Pokémon models and the environment look clean and I'm honestly pleased with what I've seen thus far. After all, I do not believe graphics make a difference in the quality of most games, especially Pokémon. Generation 7 did not become the best because it looked pretty. I still prefer older generations like 4 and 5.

Before I get too off topic, I'll just say this: I do not play Pokémon for the visuals, so this is good in my book!

6. Dawn

Dawn La vie est drôle

Cresselia
    (Cresselia)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,104.6
    I am going to quietly pray this game pulls a DQXI and gives us the option to swap between these visuals and the more traditional 2D sprites. I didn't like the models in Gen VI, or VII, or in LGPE, and I don't like them in this either. They just don't look right to me and, whilst they've gotten more colourful - which was a major issue I had with the 3DS games; they looked like washed-out plastic - they're still very static and bland which is even more jarring when the world is so visually striking. It just doesn't work for me.

7. 「✧Aɴɪᴍᴀ✧」

「✧Aɴɪᴍᴀ✧」 Dᴇᴀᴛʜ's Dɪᴘʟᴏᴍᴀᴛ

HeartGold
    (Ho-Oh Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽217.7
    Heart Scale ★★
    The Bigger Avatar models remind me of the bigger models you would see in Pokémon X and Y when you would change your outfit. For some reason this is more nostalgic then suprising. But I can get the game because iḿ poor and I has no switch ;_;

8. Rezna

Rezna Every Day's Great at Your Junes!

Why do eggs break ffree
    (Groudon Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽35.7
    Thunder Stone ★★★Water Stone ★★★Dawn Stone ★★★★Cooler Gary Oak ★★★★★Legendary Triforce ★★
    IMO the best looking game was diamond and pearl, along with the soundtrack

9. BZRich64

BZRich64 The Mustachiod Machamp

Late For A Date
    (Bunnelby)
    Level 14
    PokéPoints:
    ₽7,010.7
    I love the visuals so far. The art style feels almost exactly how Pokémon should be (at least in my opinion) and is a definite improvement over Let's Go.

10. Neb

Neb Cosmog Enthusiast

AZ
    (Flabébé (O))
    Level 12
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,240.2
    GS Ball ★★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★Poké Ball ★Potion ★Oran Berry ★★
    I think the world looks absolutely gorgeous. The colors, textures, and overworld character models look superb. Almost on par with Breath of the Wild in terms of vibrancy. The Pokémon models, not so much. I appreciate the fact they improved the lighting, but the low polygon count from the 3DS shows through. The difference in quality reminds me of the Mario 64 costume in Super Mario Oddesey. A low poly 3D model with better lighting.