1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

thoughts on beta readers?

Discussion in 'Creative Zone' started by dangokura, Dec 10, 2017.

Tags:
?

do you have a beta reader?

1. yup! :D

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. nope, but i want one :(

3 vote(s)
    42.9%
  3. nope, and i don’t want one :P

4 vote(s)
    57.1%
  1. dangokura

dangokura what is happening ;w;

Mythical eggo
    (Celebi Egg)
    Level 20
    PokéPoints:
    ₽314.2
    so.. beta readers.
    i’ve never had a beta reader myself, and idk if i want one yet ;w;
    sometimes when i come to a certain part of writing, i have two good ideas. i don’t know which idea to use and that’s where i wish i had someone to provide their thoughts on my ideas owo
    do you guys think beta readers are good? what do you think of beta readers? if you have a beta reader, do you rely on them a lot?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. ShinigamiMiroku

Sorceress' Knight
    (Ralts ♂)
    Level 23
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,354.4
    Red Orb ★★★★★
    I don't update enough to warrant bothering anyone with a request to beta my work, but if I did I'd ask for advice on storytelling technique and cohesion rather than simply spelling-and-grammar (God knows I do more than enough of that on my own).

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    dangokura likes this.
  3. warriorseadra

warriorseadra PKMN Breeder

Mythical Egg
    (Mew Egg)
    Level 17
    PokéPoints:
    ₽168.4
    Legendary Triforce ★★
    Over my many years, I’ve found people to be... disappointing. That has left me a lot more jaded than probably realize and as a result, kept me from ever seeking a beta reader. When it comes to self-editing, I find that takinga week off, doing something else, and then returning with a fresh mind makes it a lot easier to notice any mistakes.
    With that said, people who share your passions and interests are probably a lot more trusting. Asking someone who’s a fellow writer, (If you’re looking for someone, I’ll volunteer) would be a great and safe bet.
    What kind of choice are you torn on right now??

Edit: Almost forgot to mention, if I were to get a beta reader (which I will once I finish my novel) it would be to check on the flow, believability character development, and get their opinion on pretty much everything that happens. It would probably reach the point of being annoying...

4. dangokura

Mythical eggo
    (Celebi Egg)
    Level 20
    PokéPoints:
    ₽314.2
    i don’t actually know why i’m unsure of whether i want a beta or not >< i’d love for someone to provide their thoughts on how i should work but.. idk :/ maybe i’m scared of people criticising my work heh TwT i’ll hit you up if i ever want a beta though! :D
    i think i’d be annoying as well, because i’d be asking the exact same things xD maybe we could beta for each other sometime! but idk if i can beta well, i’ve never tried ;w;

5. warriorseadra

Mythical Egg
    (Mew Egg)
    Level 17
    PokéPoints:
    ₽168.4
    Legendary Triforce ★★
    As writers, we must never fear the criticism of our readers. (Regardless of whether we feel they’re wrong and completelt missing the point.). But, if you’re looking to duel beta read each other’s works, sure I’ll take you up on that offer. (There is this fanfic lolling about in the back of my mind...).
    Now, if you’re not sure how beta reading works, there’s a few things to it. One, you can always ask the author about what to look for. Two, practice is really easy. Just pick a random story, read it, and leave a detailed review discussing the story’s flow, the character dynamics, if there’s soemthing that could have been explained better, something that you really liked, and any predictions you come up with from the context.
    Never be afraid to step forward!

dangokura likes this.
  6. dangokura

Mythical eggo
    (Celebi Egg)
    Level 20
    PokéPoints:
    ₽314.2
    owo your advice is really helpful, thanks :”)

7. Skittle

Skittle daijoubu

Swablu
    (Swablu)
    Level 24
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,602.3
    Comet Shard ★★★★Dawn Stone ★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★Galladite ★★★★Whipped Dream ★★★★
    I can see why people want beta readers, but I see no point in getting one myself. Based on many sources like reviews and such my English is very well-practiced so I have no need for one as I proof my own stuff since I know what I'm doing.

I do beta read for other people occasionally, though. My friend on Serebii likes to have her stuff proofed by me and some people on ff.net request me to proof and review stuff. Too bad they never improve despite my detailed reviews...

8. DiancieIsBae

Merio12
    (Mew Egg)
    Level 10
    PokéPoints:
    ₽187.0
    Yache Berry ★★Amulet Coin ★★★Skull Fossil ★★★
    Would rather not associate myself with any type of beta readers. Yes a friend of mine does point out errors to me, but I don't consider that beta reading.

The reason why I have such a dislike for beta readers is because I feel that they could potentially want me to rob my series of a part of its soul. It's my work, so I can do whatever the hell I want with it.

9. dangokura

Mythical eggo
    (Celebi Egg)
    Level 20
    PokéPoints:
    ₽314.2
    ahh, i wish i could be like that ;w; my grammar and spelling don’t create problems, but i need a lot of help with plot, which is mainly why i don’t know if i want a beta!!

ahah, i know that feeling! i collab with my friends in writing and that’s how i feel when they change what i write eheh :P

10. BraviaryScout

BraviaryScout Way of the Wind

Bravo
    (Braviary)
    Level 66
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,847.3
    Crown of ValorPoké Ball ★
    I beta my own chapters, usually checking for spelling/grammatical errors and the like. If I were to pick up someone to beta me though; I'd be more like bouncing ideas rather than going over a chapter. And I do beta for someone on fanfiction.net.

As for having a beta, it's entirely up to the author. Having one is good since you get a second pair of eyes and if you have that "connection" between you and the beta, there's a lot that clicks and when they send criticism/points for improvement it comes off as something that's for the general benefit of the story. You'll be more likely to listen to them than someone who you barely know dishing out critical feedback.

I think it's a helpful tool yeah, but there's writers out there (myself included) who do just as good without one.

dangokura likes this.
  11. VictoryStar34

SS Egg #1
    (Lugia Egg)
    Level 22
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,103.5
    Mewnium Z  ★★★★★Choice Specs ★★★★★Legendary Triforce ★★Deep Sea Scale ★★★Rage Candy Bar ★★★
    I don't post regularly enough to actually get one...but it seems that it would be useful...

12. dangokura

Mythical eggo
    (Celebi Egg)
    Level 20
    PokéPoints:
    ₽314.2
    this is kind of another thing i sometimes think about. i update my multi-chapters every week, and sometimes i pull all-nighters and barely finish writing the chapter just hours before i have to post it! that’s kind of included in the reason why i’m not sure if i should have a beta - i wouldn’t actually give the beta enough time to read and i myself wouldn’t have time to correct my errors. ;w;

13. ShinigamiMiroku

Sorceress' Knight
    (Ralts ♂)
    Level 23
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,354.4
    Red Orb ★★★★★
    Perhaps you should give yourself 24 hours after finishing a chapter to post it, so that you have enough time for you - or your beta - to go through the proper editing process. You can still have a consistent posting schedule; you'll just have to adjust it to accommodate for the editing process.

14. dangokura

Mythical eggo
    (Celebi Egg)
    Level 20
    PokéPoints:
    ₽314.2
    i don’t know.. do you mean maybe update fortnightly or something rather than weekly? but still.. i’m not sure if i don’t have enough time, or if i just procrastinate too much :/

15. ShinigamiMiroku

Sorceress' Knight
    (Ralts ♂)
    Level 23
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,354.4
    Red Orb ★★★★★
    Say you usually finish a chapter on Monday night and upload that update Tuesday morning. What I'm saying is that you wait until Wednesday morning instead, so that you can check it for errors and whatnot. It's not procrastination if you're going over the story. Trust me - it's worth it. ^_^

dangokura likes this.
  16. warriorseadra

Mythical Egg
    (Mew Egg)
    Level 17
    PokéPoints:
    ₽168.4
    Legendary Triforce ★★
    Not to randomly jump in on the conversation, but if the problem is a fear of procrastination, then how about changing the way you’re looking at it. Instead of a punblishing deadline, make it a submit to beta reader deadline. Then, you’d be motivatd to get the story to your beta reader without keeping said person waiting.

dangokura and ShinigamiMiroku like this.
  17. dangokura

Mythical eggo
    (Celebi Egg)
    Level 20
    PokéPoints:
    ₽314.2
    heh thanks you two xD you guys really help :”)

18. SyWry

Legendary Egg
    (Rayquaza Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,606.1
    I don't do beta readers. I do have a separate editor in real life to look over my work but that's because I have trouble with grammar, sentence structure and reading problems. I once considered it, but decided against it. the main reason I write is not for fame or for recognition, its because I have had these ideas swarming in my head since I was a child and I don't want to see them disappear into time. Sure I want to be a good writer, but I feel like a beta reader would want to make a story they want and not a story I want.

19. dangokura

Mythical eggo
    (Celebi Egg)
    Level 20
    PokéPoints:
    ₽314.2
    owo it’s so cool to see all the opinions coming from everyone!
    idk.. it depends on what sort of beta reader you have, doesn’t it? i mean, as the author of your story, you have the right to disagree or agree to the beta’s suggestions, so it won’t make it the beta reader’s story.. but i can understand how you think too!

20. Vigilance

Vigilance once here, now gone

Fletchling
    (Fletchling)
    Level 54
    PokéPoints:
    ₽404.2
    Master BallGold Bottle Cap ★★★★★Mewnium Z  ★★★★★Beast Ball ★★★★Staff of Verity
    A "Beta Reader" seems like a smart idea to me because it lets you release work for proofreading/critical analysis without the public seeing it and you blowing your big reveal. I did vote no on the poll just cause I don't have use of one.