1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

TV / Movies Thoughts on Detective Pikachu

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by RadEmpoleon, May 14, 2019.

1. RadEmpoleon

RadEmpoleon certified EPIC Gamer™

Bondo
    (Sobble)
    Level 9
    PokéPoints:
    ₽4,003.8
    Comet Shard ★★★★Poké Doll ★★
    Did you/will you see Detective Pikachu? How was it?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Dawn

Dawn La vie est drôle

Cresselia
    (Cresselia)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,104.6
    Common sense but I'll say it anyway: please hide spoilers for now, guys.

As for me...
    Honestly I didn't hate it, but I didn't think it was particularly good either. I am not happy with their selection of Pokémon: some looked better in motion than I expected, but the majority of them were ugly as hell, and I get the feeling this was deliberate. I mean...Lickitung, Greninja, Ludicolo, Mewtwo, Aipom...these are not pretty Pokémon. In "realistic" CG they look vile. I mean, they had to push TPC for the Lickitung scene at all and I wish they hadn't. They could have and should have made better choices about what to include, because they didn't need quite so many disgustingly ugly mutants.

Plot-wise this was...well, a kid's movie. I can't really mark it down for that I suppose. I've certainly seen worse Disney sequels, and plenty of movies aimed at a more matue audience *cougheveryMCUfilmcough* that are worse for their butchering of good source material. They didn't have a lot to work from with the game, and I think they did the best they could. Although I did find the whole end showdown to be pretty anticlimactic. Some seriously painful to watch villain stupidity going on here.

Reynold's performance was somewhere in between the first Deadpool movie and X-Men Origins: Wolverine...as in, it wasn't as bad as his worse moments, but it was a far cry from his best. Without him the film would have been substantially worse, though. I expected him to deliver an actual character and he didn't disappoint on that front. Everyone and everything else was forgettable, though. So much so that I can't even remember their names now and I only saw the movie on Saturday.

This was the first Pokémon movie I'd actually seen at the cinema since the very first one was released, and whilst I can't say I regret it because I got in for nothing (yay for vouchers!) I can't say it's an unforgettable experience. More of a "Oh, this isn't as bad as I was expecting but god almighty is it wasted potential" experience. Claims that this breaks the curse of video game movies are from people who have painfully (but somewhat understandably I suppose) low standards for that in my opinion. It might be slightly better than the original Mortal Kombat movie, but that isn't saying much.

4/10 needs better Pokémon...and source material.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Shayminlover123

Aria
    (Sneasel)
    Level 27
    PokéPoints:
    ₽724.4
    Not sure if this is considered a spoiler, but I'm going to put it in the tag anyway.

I saw DP a day before it actually released, and I can say that this movie was really fun to watch. They did a really good job designing the models and they really made Ryme city feel alive with all the Pokémon and people running around. Not to mention that the movie is really colorful, so it's pleasant to look at when you aren't looking at the Pokémon models or the human characters.

4. SawstheSawsbuck

SawstheSawsbuck Sir Sawsbuck

Level 17
    PokéPoints:
    ₽560.5
    Master BallLegendary Triforce ★★
    I absolutely loved it and I wanna see it again!

5. Gazi

Lilith
    (Litleo ♀)
    Level 9
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,871.2
    Dawn Stone ★★★★Legendary Triforce ★★Reaper Cloth ★★★
    I just saw Detective Pikachu yesterday, and I loved it so much. It was strange at first to see Pokémon in a live action sense, but I got used to it fairly quickly, and it was pretty cool to see some of these more realistic designs.

Now, on to the spoilers
    I enjoyed the movie as a whole, but what really sold it for me was the climax. It was really fun to watch for me, and kinda intense. What made it all the better is this movie's version of Mewtwo. I loved Mewtwo in this movie. I'd never been all that fond of Mewtwo's character in the first movie. He's just too broody and angsty for my taste. This Mewtwo though, its character is absolutely amazing and much more likable, at least for me personally.

6. Enbuoh

SS Egg #1 Delta Plus
    (Deoxys Egg)
    Level 23
    PokéPoints:
    ₽27.4
    Oran Berry ★★Poké Ball ★Potion ★
    I hold the record of watching this movie four times in 2 different theaters, two of which were with friends, one of which was with a friend who knew absolutely nothing about Pokémon and still enjoyed it as much as I did.

I want to buy the DVD release, but in Japanese lol. Because I am really curious about the dubbing voices especially with Ken Watanabe literally dubbing himself (he was the lieutenant Tim talks to in the beginning)

I love the way Pokémon were rendered in live action, especially all the birds, Lucy's Psyduck, and the Bulbasaurs. My favourite scenes were the Torterra garden escape (TORTERRA APPRECIATION!) and the battle with Pikachu v. Mewtwo. I also have to say, the way Mewtwo was portrayed in this movie was very well scripted and left enough room for good surprises.