1. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Thoughts on Pokemon Journeys

Discussion in 'Pokémon General' started by Gazi, Jul 3, 2020.

1. Gazi

Gazi Pokémon Professor

Warrior
    (Rufflet)
    Level 21
    PokéPoints:
    ₽402.6
    Dawn Stone ★★★★Legendary Triforce ★★Reaper Cloth ★★★
    I've just started to watch Pokémon Journeys on Netflix, and as much as I was looking forward to it, I'm kinda underwhelmed. I guess this is how people felt when they watched XY and then shifted to Sun/Moon.
    I want to like Pokémon Journeys, and I have reasons to believe that I'll enjoy it more as more episodes get added, but right now, I'm just bothered by it, and I'm wondering if I'm the only one. And, you know, I kinda wanna vent about my disappointment.

I have two major issues with Pokémon Journeys, the first one being Goh. He's just not a character I'm into. He's too much like Ash, which could work if there was a third companion who was traveling with them (Chloe doesn't exactly count, because she's barely in the show at the point I'm at). Goh's goal, while relatable for a bunch of players of the games, is just boring to watch. I mean, we got an entire episode of a kid just throwing pokeballs at Pokémon. It's not fun, and it's so frustrating how 95% of the time Goh catches his Pokémon without battling them, and with his very first Pokéball, which makes it even less interesting to watch. And for reasons that I don't understand, Goh's Pokémon all adore him from the very second he catches them. It's great that they're happy, but I would love to see him actually train them and earn their respect and love. And his know-it-all personality just bothers me. You can have a smart character who has more to their character than being the smart guy who does everything for the sake of research.

My second issue with the show, which I'm really hoping will get better later, is that we don't see a lot of the characters bonding with their Pokémon. We got a little bit of it with Goh and Scorbunny, in the episode where he caught it, but very little since then. Ash's confidence in Mimey when he wanted to battle with him was great, but we see very little of Mimey interacting with Ash beyond that, which was really disappointing, because I was really looking forward to seeing Mimey and Ash. Dragonite and Ash are nice, but where I'm at in the show, we've only seen them with each other a handful of times. The whole reason why I love Pokémon so much is because I love seeing the great relationships between people and Pokémon (which is why I love the Diamond/Pearl episodes so much), and I just feel like Pokémon Journeys isn't delivering on that front.

I've only seen the first twelve episodes though. I'm hoping that as Ash catches more Pokémon, we'll see more of him actually interacting with them, which should make things better. As for Goh...I don't actually have high hopes for him. Maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised, but I'm not counting on it.

Anyways, I want to know how you guys feel about this season so far. Are you loving it? Are you underwhelmed? Why?

2. Jupjami

Jupjami Time Gear Thief

Зелёнов (Zyljonov)
    (Grovyle)
    Level 77
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,064.3
    Leaf Stone ★★★Dragon Scale ★★★Darkinum Z ★★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★Reaper Cloth ★★★
    I generally have little a qualm about Journeys; the fresh start and Satoshi's mentor-like character is quite appealling to many a fan~ The only problem I can say so far is the current series doth not delve much into the previous generations; if not for PJ025 we wouldn't even know Satoshi's journey from Hoenn to Kalos was still canon, and we still don't know the fate of the SM series! (I mean, he's the bloody Champion of Alola; wouldn't at least one person point it out?) We see none of his previous Pokémon save for Mr. Mime, so 'tis quite disappointing... Nonetheless, the series is awesome, and I shall continue subscribe to Pokémon 2019~

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...