1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

To quit the game forever

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Absolute Zero, Jan 26, 2020.

1. Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero The second seal

Jeff
    (Spinarak)
    Level 19
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,869.8
    For the past year and a half or so, I've been playing a Final Fantasy gacha mobile game almost every day. Hitting those daily and bi-weekly objectives, maxing out limited-time events, always making sure to never waste the continually recharging "stamina" for certain event types... all this stuff which sounds like a lot of work but is fun, but is a lot of work, but is fun.

Two days ago, I decided to take a break from it all. This weekend I didn't play it. After all, I got a new phone, I don't feel like going through a device-transfer process, and I don't really want to carry around another smartphone just to be a highly specific gameboy. So I've been without, and it feels really good. Instead of starting another resource grind, I laid in bed imagining stories for an hour. Instead of giving 20% of my attention to my phone while having conversations with people, I just had those conversations. Instead of playing a game I'm starting to feel dispassionate about, I played fresh games that I do feel passionate about. It was a decision months in the making and it feels like the right thing to do, hurting at first and then feeling really good

I'm wondering if anyone else has had a story or a struggle similar to that. Where you've put dozens or hundreds of hours into a video game, and you know you're not "done", but you just need to declare for yourself that you're a different kind of done. Was it an easy or hard choice? Did you have a sudden revelation? Are you currently sitting on the wall between deciding to or not to?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Poffin

Poffin King of Destruction

Alolan Meowth
    (Alolan Meowth)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,384.2
    Legendary Triforce ★★
    All mobile games tend to have this issue for me sooner or later. In some ways I felt this over Love Live: School Idol Festival but the worst culprit was Fate/Grand Order. I spent on average at least two hours on it daily. It was such a chore tbh and I'm so glad I quit. So much time to do more interesting things.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Absolute Zero likes this.
  3. LassusVulpes

LassusVulpes Eclipse Holder

THE BIGGEST FLEX
    (Giratina (Origin))
    Level 55
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,993.1
    Cooler Gary Oak ★★★★★
    My mum had a game where she got fed up and quit. She was one of the top ranks. They just got pay to win. There would be a limited edition card. And than the weekly event would have the same card and she just gave up as it turned into a massive cash grab. No one knows she quit cause she said nothing about it.

4. BZRich64

BZRich64 The Mustachiod Machamp

Late For A Date
    (Bunnelby)
    Level 14
    PokéPoints:
    ₽7,010.7
    I've had quite a few mobile games that I've quite over the years. It used to be primarily because space limitations on my old phone forcing me to get rid of games to clear up room, or just deciding that I was playing too many games and had to cut out whichever ones I was least interested in. Now I'm starting to quit games just because I've gotten board wit them. I just stopped playing Puzzle & Dragons after probably at least a year of only logging in for daily rewards without really playing the game beyond that. Final Fantasy Record Keeper is probably the next one that I'll be quitting for similar reasons. And basically the only reason that I still play Kingdom Hearts Union X is for the (painfully sporadic) story updates.

5. bakugo

bakugo Camper

(Kyurem Egg)
    Level 8
    PokéPoints:
    ₽588.7
    The only mobile game that i've really played more than for a few days is Clash of Clans. Though i always get bored of it as well and take breaks from it. I honestly don't really like many mobile games. I have a Switch/PC for games and there's way better games on those platforms.

6. RadEmpoleon

RadEmpoleon certified EPIC Gamer™

Bondo
    (Sobble)
    Level 11
    PokéPoints:
    ₽4,138.7
    Comet Shard ★★★★Poké Doll ★★
    Yeah that happens to me with a lot of mobile games. I’ve almost completed Neko Atsume (I need one more cat’s memoir) and it’s a darn-cute game, but I’ve downloaded it on so many devices and had to start all the way over that I’ve grown tired of it. I got a new phone recently and I was considering downloading it there, but I decided against it because I didn’t want to start all over again.

Another culprit of this is Pokémon Shuffle. I loved that game so much on my DS, I was so stoked to get it on my ipad. I started getting new games and didn’t check it as much. Now I hardly ever play it because it just got stale to me. Also I have tons of stamina that I won’t be using up any time soon. Also, there have been absolutely no updates to the game in at least a year, which makes it more stale. So there’s no Stakataka or Blacephalon or any of the new UsUm Pokémon, or any gen 8 Pokémon, and I’m assuming there won’t ever be another update. The limited time events are stuck on a 24-week loop forever and will never be updated, which is sad too. (But I’m never deleting that game, I’m on level 400-something.)

7. Neb

Neb Cosmog Enthusiast

AZ
    (Flabébé (O))
    Level 12
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,240.2
    GS Ball ★★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★Poké Ball ★Potion ★Oran Berry ★★
    About two years ago, I’d spend about 2-4 hours a day playing Osu. The music wasn’t my cup of tea, but the gameplay was really addicting. I spent so much time on the game that my wrists started to ache regularly. Out of fear of my health, I just quit the game and didn’t go back.

Poffin likes this.
  8. Jeydis

Jeydis J̷̉͐O̵̔̏Ǐ̶͝N̵̒̍ ̷͚̇Ǘ̸̂S̴͘

Boomer
    (Noibat)
    Level 6
    PokéPoints:
    ₽5,355.7
    Poké Ball ★Trainer Card - Cave Theme
    Ah the sunk cost falicy, what mobile games often thrive on. I recently quit the DBZ gatcha fighting game that I had been playing for about a year. My phone was running out of space and it was by far the fattest game I had. I was not playing it much lately, having gotten the characters I wanted and maxed em out. I am happy with my decision honestly, less to think about daily and more time for proper gaming.

9. Jupjami

Jupjami Thy friendly neighbourhood birb shaman

Hollow
    (Trevenant)
    Level 66
    PokéPoints:
    ₽7,572.7
    Leaf Stone ★★★Dragon Scale ★★★Darkinum Z ★★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★Reaper Cloth ★★★
    Hm... I guess there are a few games I used to play that I've stopped doing so~
    Before I loved playing Angry Birds: Epic; however space on my phone and the need for internet shut it down at the time...
    I also had Pokémon Shuffle, Duel, Trading Card Game and played a little Pokémon Tretta, but they quickly passed... I only play Conquest and Mystery Dungeon nowadays~
    Finally, I quit the Mobile Legends gatcha, since it was also basically pay-to-win and very hard grind... instead I got the Fairy Tail gatcha~ (I can't get the Pokémon one since I ran out of space...)

10. Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero The second seal

Jeff
    (Spinarak)
    Level 19
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,869.8
    I think that's entirely it! Any time you quit, you feel like you're "wasting" the past months or years of incremental progress toward... progress toward... toward what? Toward nothing, probably. We all play games to have fun, and the growing "experience bars" or whatever else stands adjacent to the fun, and for some reason we focus on the "progress" instead. If we stop focusing on the imaginary progress which will be left unfulfilled and focus instead on the actual fun we'll have tomorrow or the next day, the decisions probably get easier and healthier.

Poffin and RadEmpoleon like this.
  11. Champ

Champ Tuber

Ralts ♂
    (Ralts ♂)
    Level 14
    PokéPoints:
    ₽74.3
    Ultra Ball ★★
    I used to play pubgm with my friends a lot but we stopped playing the game as soon as a new game called call of duty was released. Now we didn't even touch any of those game. As the game feel bored after playing almost every day. Also I have a problem with getting bored of the game in just few days.

12. Katanaeyegaming

Katanaeyegaming #FEARTHEWYVERN

Darklit
    (Liepard)
    Level 44
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,810.3
    Poké Ball ★Potion ★Oran Berry ★★Thunder Stone ★★★Helix Fossil ★★★
    Back in 2014-15 I played League of legends a lot. Since november of 2015 I haven't touched it once and it's for the best