1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Spoilers Transfering Pokémon

Discussion in 'Switch Pokémon Games' started by BZRich64, Jun 11, 2019.

1. BZRich64

BZRich64 The Mustachiod Machamp

Late For A Date
    (Bunnelby)
    Level 14
    PokéPoints:
    ₽6,943.7
    A big bombshell has just been dropped regarding Pokémon Sword & Shield and Pokémon Home: You can't transfer any Pokémon to Sword or Shield if they aren't in the Galar Pokédex. This is huge news, as until now GameFreak has always done a good job of letting us carry over all of our Pokémon whenever new games come out (with the exception of Gen III, due to hardware limitations that were outside of their control). We don't know exactly how many Pokémon you won't be able to move to Sword & Shield yet, but this is still huge news. Note that you can apparently still keep them in Pokémon Home, meaning that if future games add specific Pokémon back then you should hopefully be able to transfer them over.

Anyway, what are your thoughts on this news? Do you hate it? Are you indifferent? Are there any specific Pokémon that you're worried won't be available in the new games?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Wizard

Wizard Do you feel it? The moon's power!

Cupidueye
    (Decidueye (Cupid))
    Level 113
    PokéPoints:
    ₽9,410.7
    I have been so excited for Sword and Shield, but this really just put a stopper on a lot of my excitement. When I replay Pokémon games, I love to send in other Pokémon to make the best teams possible. However, if some of my favorite Pokémon end up as locked out, then this will no longer be possible. I know that there are a lot of Pokémon out there, but this is just incredibly disappointing. Another fact to face here is that Gamefreak has always had a relatively small development team despite the insane amounts of sales they make, so it wouldn't have been impossible to invite more people to work on the team.

Furthermore, I like having the National Dex within my games. While it might be cool and all for Pokémon Home to have it, I still find it disappointing that I can't have it in my games. Not a huge deal, but still an additional bummer.

Here's hoping that future Gen. 8 games support all Pokémon, including those outside of the Galar region.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Hraesvelgr

Hraesvelgr Snek in Your Boot

Zapdos Egg
    (Zapdos Egg)
    Level 21
    PokéPoints:
    ₽11,997.3
    Trainer Card - Cave ThemeDragon Fang ★★★★Philosopher's CowlWater Stone ★★★Great Ball ★★
    Is a disappointment, just means the pokémon I've worked hard on to get and was looking forward to eventually messing around with in SnS once I'd hit the end of the game will just sit there because I can't use some of them. Unless they add more pokémon you can transfer later down the line is honestly just a bummer.

4. Laserdragon14

Laserdragon14 Dragon Maverick

Falchion
    (Honedge)
    Level 22
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,429.1
    Flame Orb ★★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★Poké Ball ★Trainer Card - Cave Theme
    major bummer since my first mass transfer was from ORAS to USUM, but oh well, I guess I have to live with it even though it is really disappointing.

5. RadEmpoleon

RadEmpoleon certified EPIC Gamer™

Bondo
    (Sobble)
    Level 11
    PokéPoints:
    ₽4,124.8
    Comet Shard ★★★★Poké Doll ★★
    That’s disappointing to hear. I hope over time Pokémon Home or SwSh gets some kind of patch that allows you to transfer Pokémon that aren’t in the Galar dex, but I don’t see a high likelihood of that.

6. SnowboundBecca

SnowboundBecca Scarf Enthusiast

Jet Stone
    (Froakie)
    Level 27
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,335.7
    Marshadium Z ★★★★★Beast Ball ★★★★Black Glasses ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★Legendary Triforce ★★
    Like everyone else here, this is indeed disappointing and a little sad to hear. But from a developer's point of view, I understand that with the hundreds of Pokémon that we now know of, inputting all of their codes and models into the Switch (which is still relatively new tech compared to the 3DS) would take a lot of time, perhaps another year at most. In the meantime, there may be hope that Sword & Shield, if it gets big enough sales and reviews, will receive future patches that allow for more Pokémon to be transferred over. But that's just hopeful speculation on my end.

I'm still getting the double pack regardless of this flaw, and I plan to enjoy as much as it can offer.

ShinigamiMiroku and RadEmpoleon like this.
  7. Ethereal

Ethereal LV Lurker

Luigia
    (Lugia Egg)
    Level 12
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,311.7
    Thunder Stone ★★★Poké Doll ★★
    I've been a bit iffy on these games since there reveal. The graphics looked mediocre, big chance we'd get more Kanto pandering -after the abominations that were LGPE-, etc.

This.... This is the deal breaker for me. I'm not longer getting these games. I'd rather spend my money elsewhere.

Like, this has gotta be one of the stupidest decisions made by GF and because of this all my shinies and pokebros are stuck in gen 7 for who knows how long, maybe even forever. One of the first things I do after completing the main storyline is transfer my most treasured Pokémon over to the newest game and the fact I and others cannot do this anymore is really, really disappointing.
    Not to mention this means people will be forced to use only Pokémon from the Galar Dex in competitive. It'll also suck for those who like to complete the national Dex in all their games. I guess game freak don't care about their fans anymore (although let's be real, we've known this for a while now.)

#7 Jun 11, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
  8. Wolf Expert

Wolf Expert Canine Scholar

Wolf
    (Riolu)
    Level 24
    PokéPoints:
    ₽761.2
    Moon Ball ★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★Premier Ball ★Friend Ball ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★
    This might be a deal breaker for me. Like we all know that they're probably going to come out with a revamped version of the game in a few more years and I'm willing to bet that it'll allow you to use every Pokémon. It would have been better if they had just waited a couple more years to develop the game more. They made it sound in the PR post that it was because of a space limitation on the switch, which I have a hard time believing. Honestly the more I hear about this, the more disappointed I am.

I think I might actually skip this one and just wait for the "sequel" or whatever it will be. It's almost physically painful to say because I love the series so much. I just don't see the point though. Maybe the story will be good? Maybe I'll just wait a while and see what the reviews are like once people have had time to finish the game.

Also Home is a one-way transfer. So if you transfer Pokémon to Home, then all you can do is leave them there or transfer them into S&S. which means if you're able to transfer Pokémon to Home that aren't in the Galar dex, they'll be STUCK THERE FOREVER. Why would anyone want to do that? Maybe they'll make it possible to transfer them in future games, but until then what's even the point? It's not like there's a guarantee that you'll be able to take them out in the future, so no one in their right mind would store their Pokémon in Home on the vague off chance of possibly being able to use them again YEARS from now.

I might just stick to fan games for now. It seems like at the moment smaller fan developers are actually doing a better job with the series than Nintendo is. That is, when not being shut down by Nintendo for making games that don't actually generate any revenue and essentially act like free advertising for them. That got a bit ranty, but come on.

9. Uber-Dan

Uber-Dan PKMN Breeder

Rayquaza Egg
    (Rayquaza Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽150.7
    Great Ball ★★Poké Ball ★
    According to a friend of mine on DA, this was due to a policy change by the higher ups at Nintendo. This means Gen 7 is the last Pokémon games to have all the Pokémon, the Pokémon we get in day 1 will be all there is, no patches, no updates, etc.

Best case scenario is the backlash get's high enough to get Nintendo to reverse the change but I wouldn't hold my breath on that.

10. ShinigamiMiroku

Sorceress' Knight
    (Ralts ♂)
    Level 23
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,354.4
    Red Orb ★★★★★
    This has not killed my excitement for Sword/Shield. Maybe it's because I don't have a LivingDex to speak of, but even when I had multiple regions I have never transferred Pokémon from one region to the next in order to continue using them, but rather to simply fill out the NationalDex of that generation; I much prefer going through the games and using what is there in order to experience the game at its fullest.

Personally, I think everyone is freaking out far too much over this, and to be frank it's saddening to see. I won't use worn-out words like 'entitlement' and the like, but I think the Pokémon community as a whole (actually, there are many communities that need to do this) needs to rethink their ideas of what 'ought to be', and instead try to understand the perspective - the vision - of the developers themselves. They don't go into these projects all willy-nilly (trust me, there are pages and pages of documents that have to be submitted for them to even just get off the ground); every decision is made for a very specific purpose. Do we agree with all of these decisions? Not always - Gen1 had a broken system that only ever worked because Iwata fixed the code, Gen2 had a very barren Kanto region (and set up unrealistic expectations for future generations), Gen3 didn't have transfer capabilities, Gen4 was slow and confusing, Gen5 was an attempt at a reboot, Gen6 had the worst villain team to ever exist, and Gen7's Ultra versions changed many things about the plot that ruined it. However, all of them had reasons for happening - whether they were due to hardware limitations or lore purposes doesn't matter, only the fact that they were purposeful decisions.

11. Gwoomy

Gwoomy french goo

HOLY SHIT
    (MissingNo.)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽6,650.4
    Dragon Scale ★★★Marshadium Z ★★★★★Helix Fossil ★★★Legendary Triforce ★★Animal Crossing Leaf ★
    I can see how a lot of people can be upset about this, but I feel like it doesn't affect me personally. I never transfer anything and am seemingly too lazy to even think about completing a pokédex… So, I don't mind.
    And it somehow seems like my main interest in Pokémon is shifting from the games to fanmade creative content, which lessens the impact even more considering artistic freedom allows pretty much anything…

12. Shayminlover123

Aria
    (Sneasel)
    Level 27
    PokéPoints:
    ₽724.4
    I know a lot of people are upset about this, and I can understand where they're coming from. However, this isn't so much of a deal breaker to me? It really hurts that you won't be able to use the Pokémon you want in Sword and Shield, but I don't think this is the MAIN attraction of playing Pokémon games.

I'll still be buying the games myself. I love these games even if there is a limited amount of Pokémon. (I played Pokémon Colo and that game is REALLY limited)

So hopefully GF will do something in the future to make everyone happy.

WavePearl and RadEmpoleon like this.
  13. Richard and Blaziken

Raven
    (Torchic)
    Level 8
    PokéPoints:
    ₽10.4
    Huge disappointment, personally. I always send over my favorites team to take on whatever Battle Tower stand-in we get these days (rip Frontier). As many have already said, this is a polarizing issue. If it doesn't bother you, I'm happy you'll find enjoyment in these games.

Myself... I'm probably not getting Sword and Shield, and if this policy remains, I'm perfectly fine with being done buying Pokémon games. I grew up with them since I was 9 years old, which is nearly 20 years now. It's been a good ride.

14. Neb

Neb Cosmog Enthusiast

AZ
    (Flabébé (O))
    Level 12
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,240.2
    GS Ball ★★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★Poké Ball ★Potion ★Oran Berry ★★
    I'm kinda bummed about the news since I like to transferring my old teams, but it isn't a deal breaker. As long as the new games are fun, I'm willing to give them a shot.

15. Strytho

Strytho Giveaway Enthusiast

Xerneas Egg
    (Xerneas Egg)
    Level 8
    PokéPoints:
    ₽485.4
    Friend Ball ★★★★Beast Ball ★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★Lure Ball ★★★★Basic Gary Oak ★
    I am disappointed but I'm honestly not surprised considering the direction gaming in general is heading. Most people don't know this but game freak split their entire team in half for the development of sns to make another game at the same time. Many of you may ask why and the answer is simple, they are worried about their future. Game freak is one of several groups that make up the Pokémon company and have recently become one of the less important parts of it. Nintendo is doing a big drive to get into mobile gaming and have been for several years. Gamers are becoming less and less concerned with story, plot, lore, and games that basically take longer to get through and have a good deal of meat to them. Instead gamers want more quick rewards and instant gratification, especially kids. Mobile games do this quite easily. Now you may remember that hit game Pokémon go? In its first 3 years it has made a little over 5% of all the money Pokémon has made in the past 23 years. Out of all the toys, cards, games, anime, movies, promotions, you name it Pokémon go has amassed it much more quickly. Pokémon let's go was made in an attempt to get go players to get back into the main series and onto the switch and it failed. So remember how I said game dream is making another game? It's because the have less and less relevance in the Pokémon company and with the push into mobile gaming, they have to do something to make themselves stand out in order to survive because they are concerned how much longer the main series will last now that go is dominating.

To be honest, I'm much more concerned about *that* than I am about the national Dex. It's disappointing, but it is more of a problem stemming from a bigger issue. I'm going to get sns, but I'm going to be keeping my eyes open and hoping for the best.

16. Shadria

Shadria Impish Illusionary Kitsune

Lucan
    (Ralts ♂)
    Level 6
    PokéPoints:
    ₽501.7
    Black Glasses ★★★★Friend Ball ★★★★Park Ball ★★★Helix Fossil ★★★Sun Stone ★★★
    This really upset me when I heard. I have Pokémon I've held close for years, for emotional reasons. Pokémon owned by friends I don't see anymore, family members I lost touch with, or Pokémon named after loved ones that have passed away. I have Pokémon from the early 2000s, from my Emerald/Sapphire files all the way up to Black 1/2 and Y, decked out in dozens of ribbons from Hoenn, Kanto, Sinnoh, Unova, and so on..! I spent years with these Pokémon, and, honestly it's at a point where they're not just pixels anymore. There is a real bond, as 'stupid' as that sounds. I hoped that fan outrage from Eastern and Western fans would give GameFreak/Nintendo the clear sign that we didn't want SwSh to end up like this (plus the visible graphical flaws in the demo isn't pretty either)..
    It's obvious now that the biggest way to show them how we feel is with our wallets. I'm boycotting official Pokémon merch and games (at least, for now on the merch. Depending on how things turn out I may go back to purchasing official stuff in a year or two). I may end up getting SwSh used at my local, family owned, game store so Nintendo doesn't get my money, IF SwSh looks better than the demo we saw (getting rid of the graphical errors, good playing speed, ect). All games here on out will be heavily scrutinized, I was honestly lax on UM/US and LGPE and really regret getting LGE. Should have gotten Crash N. Sane Trilogy....
    But if you still like SwSh and want to give it a go, you do you.

Richard and Blaziken likes this.
  17. Uber-Dan

Uber-Dan PKMN Breeder

Rayquaza Egg
    (Rayquaza Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽150.7
    Great Ball ★★Poké Ball ★
    Alright, I've been following this for a long time and here is what I gathered:

-Game Freak claims the decision was do they can implement high quality animations and models. However, this was shown to be false as models and animations for old Pokémon were reused with said models simply getting some nice shading. New animations and textures are underwhelming, look up Scorbunny used Double Kick if you don't believe me.

-Dynamax requires 3 copies of each Pokemons models, 1 for each turn with differing number of clouds. This is rather amateurish of them since even if they couldn't simply scale up the model, making the clouds separate from the models would cut the number of copies by a huge amount.

-Game Freaks response to the controversy suggests an unwillingness to go back on this decision.

-The fandom seems split on this with some ok and others furious, I'm part of the latter group.

-Nintendo UKs response to being asked about this was to simply make ones opinion known to Nintendo via social media such as Twitter.

-Overall, the only way I see this decision being reversed is if sales of Pokémon Sword/Shield are poor enough for Nintendo to step in and either get rid of Game Freaks leadership or force them to implement the remaining Pokémon. No company wants their biggest franchise burned down after all. However this scenario is extremely unlikely so don't get your hopes up on that.