1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Trials or gyms in USUM?

Discussion in 'Other Pokémon Games' started by Butternut, Aug 3, 2017.

1. Butternut

Butternut The Coolest Spider

Joltik
    (Joltik)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,905.8
    Mewnium Z  ★★★★★Black Glasses ★★★★Red Orb ★★★★★Ultra BallCrown of Valor
    So this is something I've been thinking about. Will there be trials or gyms in Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon? I mean Kukui was setting up the league and usually the 8 gym badges are required to enter the league. Also whether the game is an alternate story or a sort of sequel like Black 2 and White 2, in either case the return of gyms would be possible, either because it's an alternate setting or because Kukui has finished the set up of the league. Another thing is of course that having to do the exact same trials again is a bit boring, so remaking the trials is also an option. What do you guys think? Will there be trials or gyms?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Darcy

Darcy Strongest Blade in Valor

Eurydice
    (Brione)
    Level 21
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,068.1
    Philosopher's CowlPsychium Z ★★★★Gardevoirite ★★★★Galladite ★★★★Heart Scale ★★
    I wouldn't be surprised if there were traditional gyms in USUM since Kuikui was setting up a league there. However, I doubt they will get rid of trials entirely. Alola is a region with a culture based around old traditions after all. Perhaps there will be a unique spin on the gyms this time around, or they exist alongside each other. We still don't know a whole lot about USUM, so who knows what might happen?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. FifiandFurrball4ever

Legendary Egg
    (Articuno Egg)
    Level 12
    PokéPoints:
    ₽167.7
    I hope they have gyms but either one would be fine with me.

4. Pixel

Pixel Aether Child

Thamill
    (Larvitar)
    Level 16
    PokéPoints:
    ₽274.5
    Ice Stone ★★★★Lucarionite ★★★★Dawn Stone ★★★★Decidium Z ★★★★★Galladite ★★★★
    I'm hoping for a combination of both - keep the trails (or revamp them and maybe have new ones?), but also have post-game Gyms with those empty plots of land scattered around Alola

5. JadeFox

JadeFox Valor Veteran

Manchot
    (Piplup)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽91.6
    Premier Ball ★Beast Ball ★★★★Park Ball ★★★Mewnium Z  ★★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★
    Honestly, I think that the trials are a special part of Alola, and taking them away wouldn't really appeal to me. Gyms were cool and all, but if USM happened to add them, PLEASE make them have some kind of puzzle, because that was a really cool part of Gyms, and recently they've become more bland.

6. SnowboundBecca

SnowboundBecca Scarf Enthusiast

Jet Stone
    (Froakie)
    Level 27
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,335.7
    Marshadium Z ★★★★★Beast Ball ★★★★Black Glasses ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★Legendary Triforce ★★
    I'm okay with either. Or both. It's a new Pokémon game, I'm not picky. :P

7. Morgaine

Morgaine Goddess of Shinies

Bolero
    (Litleo ♀)
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽5.7
    Crown of ValorSoothe Bell ★Heart Scale ★★Ice Stone ★★★★
    I really want the gyms back in some sort of capacity. Either Post game and we have to beat them first before we can challenge the league again, or alongside the Trials and they make two different goals for them.

8. BZRich64

BZRich64 The Mustachiod Machamp

Late For A Date
    (Bunnelby)
    Level 14
    PokéPoints:
    ₽6,957.4
    I want to have both Gyms and Trials. It would offer more variety to the game if you have the option of chalenging the Pokémon League and take your Island Trial at the same time.

9. Sheep

Sheep Supporter

Xerneas Egg
    (Xerneas Egg)
    Level 10
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,366.0
    Trials are what make Alola.. well, Alola. I really, really hope they don't get replaced by gyms altogether, because then it'll become one of the other regions. :( The Hawaiian atmosphere and region layout is breathtaking but I don't think it'll be the same without trials. So I'll agree with what Chris said -- a combination of both would be cool, but please keep trials as the main focus!

10. Hraesvelgr

Hraesvelgr Snek in Your Boot

Zapdos Egg
    (Zapdos Egg)
    Level 21
    PokéPoints:
    ₽11,997.3
    Trainer Card - Cave ThemeDragon Fang ★★★★Philosopher's CowlWater Stone ★★★Great Ball ★★
    I would like to see them maybe build a little more on trials although I would be totally fine with it if there was regular gyms in USM.

11. Xarn

Xarn Sponsor

Dragonite
    (Dragonite)
    Level 56
    PokéPoints:
    ₽316.9
    The Gyms make sene for me. The Trials are just...I can't stand Trials... I mean, I enjoyed something different but a Gym has a better purpose and is the real place for serious battles in my opinion. Mixing them both is not a problem. Offering Trials as optional misions to get lvl and acces to new areas to catch new Pokémon is great to add interest to the main story, still the Gyms are needed.

12. Wings

Static
    (Shinx)
    Level 100
    PokéPoints:
    ₽677.2
    Trials and gyms! Instead of battling like, five trainers or whatever when you enter the gym to get to the gym leader, have a trial instead and then beat the gym leader.

13. Morgaine

Morgaine Goddess of Shinies

Bolero
    (Litleo ♀)
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽5.7
    Crown of ValorSoothe Bell ★Heart Scale ★★Ice Stone ★★★★
    I could get behind this. I really like the gym system and Alola just got the Pokémon League installed, so it would make a bit of sense. I am all in favor of keeping the trials but giving them a different purpose.

Xarn likes this.
  14. Xarn

Xarn Sponsor

Dragonite
    (Dragonite)
    Level 56
    PokéPoints:
    ₽316.9
    Yay! Someone shares my point of view. HI-5! I was thinking about how to include the Trials and that was the idea I got :D

15. Shadria

Shadria Impish Illusionary Kitsune

Lucan
    (Ralts ♂)
    Level 6
    PokéPoints:
    ₽501.7
    Black Glasses ★★★★Friend Ball ★★★★Park Ball ★★★Helix Fossil ★★★Sun Stone ★★★
    I really like how people are saying keep trials but do something different with them and having gyms..
    How about, you have to do a trial to be considered 'good enough' to battle the gym leader..? Like the trial is 'the gym' and at the end you have the gymleader with the totem Pokémon? :u

Wings likes this.
  16. Wings

Static
    (Shinx)
    Level 100
    PokéPoints:
    ₽677.2
    That's pretty much what I was thinking!:D Hopefully we get to see more of the trial captain/kahuna's Pokémon if they do a gym battle at the end of a trial.

17. Getus

Getus The Senate

Ky
    (Kyogre Egg)
    Level 18
    PokéPoints:
    ₽111.6
    Philosopher's CowlReaper Cloth ★★★Psychium Z ★★★★Great Ball ★★Cooler Gary Oak ★★★★★
    I like this idea, certainly adds more to the basic gym and it could make the trials a bit more difficult, I found them rather easy in SM

18. TheBlazingInfernape

TheBlazingInfernape Gone, probably forgotten

Wildfire
    (Monferno)
    Level 23
    PokéPoints:
    ₽111.7
    For Alola in general I'd like Trials, sure I love gyms and all that but to me, trials just seems like the better pick. I don't know why that is but it just is for me.

19. Shayminlover123

Aria
    (Sneasel)
    Level 27
    PokéPoints:
    ₽724.4
    I think they will be doing trials. While there is a possibility of gyms returning I just can't see trails being used for only one game.

20. Bubbles

Crystal
    (Diancie Egg)
    Level 14
    PokéPoints:
    ₽121.5
    Mewnium Z  ★★★★★Ice Stone ★★★★Heart Scale ★★
    I think it would be interesting if gyms are brought back... but the elite four have trials instead!

Or perhaps maybe just combining the two and having gym leaders have gyms with a trial within it along with the battle and trainers inside. Or even have trials to unlock the gyms so you can enter inside them.