1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Type imbalance

Discussion in 'Pokémon General' started by RadEmpoleon, Dec 3, 2018.

Tags:
  1. RadEmpoleon

RadEmpoleon certified EPIC Gamer™

Bondo
    (Sobble)
    Level 11
    PokéPoints:
    ₽4,138.7
    Comet Shard ★★★★Poké Doll ★★
    Out of 18 types, we have 809 Pokémon as of the Let’s Go games. These are the types listed from most common to least common:
    Water, with 133
    Normal, with 117
    Flying, with 107
    Grass, with 98
    Psychic, with 85
    Bug, with 77
    Fire, with 68
    Poison, with 66
    Ground, with 65
    Rock, with 60
    Fighting, with 57
    Dark, with 54
    Steel, with 53
    Electric, with 51
    Dragon and Fairy, both with 50
    Ghost, with 46
    And Ice, with only 40.

Now, some of these make sense. Like Fairy, which was only introduced 2 generations ago. But do you think that it should stay like this, or do you want there to be some sort of type balance in the future? If so, what would you change?

I hope that they would (try to) even out the type distribution by adding more of the uncommon types and less of the common types. (Please no more Psychic type legendaries!) Maybe have the game take place in a cold region like Sinnoh, where there’s a big opportunity to add in a bunch of Ice types. Honestly I don’t see this happening since it’s fairly easy to make Water, Normal, and Flying types, especially considering there’s always a water starter, the early game “rodent”, and the early game bird.

(I also find it ironic how the 2 most common types have been paired together only once.)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero The second seal

Jeff
    (Spinarak)
    Level 19
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,869.8
    Water and flying are probably so populated because most Pokémon are animals (rather than inanimates or plants), and any fish or bird automatically gets those types, while a canine or primate or a vulpine could be just about anything, so they're spread out more in types. Realistically this should mean there should be a lot more bugs, but I suppose they just don't get any love.

I'd particularly like to see more electrics and ices (I've even seen Pachirisu reimagined as an electric-ice, which is neat). A while ago I was trying to find my favorite Pokémon of each type, and I was at a loss on those two. I like Raichu, but that's only to spite Pikachu, and none of my top 30 are ice-type. Oh, that Glalie over there? That's part of a thing I'm doing. Pretend I'm still Roserade.

It seems they were trying to address this partially with Alola forms: We got four Ice, three Electric, four Steel, four Dark, one each Ghost and Dragon... just going from memory here. Nothing which got an Alola Variant gained Water or Grass or something.

I think one thing they could do to get around this is the next region's Victory Road (kind of like in Alola) could be filled with 3-4 new ice type families, maybe 10 species added. Ice is a powerful offensive type, and that could really make surviving wave after wave of those very difficult in an endurance run. But on the other hand, how about adding Ice near the beginning of an adventure instead of the 3/4 point? And give Pikachu a rest while we get some new Electrics up in here. There's a lot they could do.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    ChocoChicken and WavePearl like this.
  3. Wizard

Wizard Do you feel it? The moon's power!

Cupidueye
    (Decidueye (Cupid))
    Level 113
    PokéPoints:
    ₽9,446.0
    Something that I feel wouldn't be out of place is retyping certain Pokémon and/or making more regional variants. Electric types are underepresented significantly; there are some types that suffer from that as well. For example: Luxray could be changed to Electric/Dark and the world would be a better place.

4. ChocoChicken

Krysmus Azelv (lol)
    (Krysmus Azelv)
    Level 34
    PokéPoints:
    ₽10,326.3
    Misty's EmblemLegendary Triforce ★★
    I'm surprised how few Ghost and Ice types there are. I understand that coming up with unique Ice types are hard, but there are plenty of myths and spooky theories that could've made great Pokémon.
    I'm not very happy with the giant amount of water Pokémon, considering that most of them are just "fish but with a slightly different design". I understand that there are many types of fish, but do you really need so many Pokémon with similar concepts? I mean, Magikarp and Feebas... Luvdisc and Alomomola... they're really similar to each other in either concept or design.

5. Dawn

Dawn La vie est drôle

Cresselia
    (Cresselia)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,104.6
    The two best types have the fewest number of Pokémon...that's quite depressing to see. Especially considering they've both been around since the beginning and they're outdone by Fairy, which was shoehorned in one generation prior to now and feels ridiculously out of place still.

But quality over quantity, right? Honestly I've never seen it as a HUGE issue in the games, because generally it's fairly easy to access *most* types in the game from the beginning (barring a few exceptions, like Gen IV's bizarre aversion to fire-types) and as long as I can make a balanced team of Pokémon I can at least tolerate looking at and using, I'm OK with it.

Going forward I still want more Flying types. Birds are wonderful creatures, after all. Some more unique Bugs would be nice too. But really, Pokémon has never been about replicating the animal kingdom to me, so I'd like to see some more off the walls designs that don't just mimic an animal you'd find in the real world, so there is room for more under-represented types to have more Pokémon.

6. SyWry

Legendary Egg
    (Rayquaza Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,606.1
    I love ice types and wish they got more a little more love from the developers. Ice has always been my favorite type and I've always known it has the smallest pool. Most of those Ice types though aren't very good. I just hope they make a Russia inspired Pokémon game so we can have a lot more ice types. I would also like to see them balance Ice a bit better with the other types so we can have tanky ice types.

7. ShireHime

Meow
    (Meowstic ♀)
    Level 54
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,408.4
    Dawn Stone ★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★Comet Shard ★★★★Tapunium Z ★★★★★Crown of Valor
    Whoa, it still shocks me how there are only a few number of Ice-type Pokémon. Ice was previously my favorite type and it's just saddening. I think it'd be cool if there could at least be 50 Ice and Ghost-types by the next generation. Pokémon designers could research some myths and stories that could be their inspiration to make more Ice and Ghost-types. For Water-types, I'm not too surprised, although I agree with ChocoChicken, Water-types are essentially fishes with different designs. I for one would love to see a dolphin Pokémon just to bring some variety to the Water-types.