1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Gameplay Journal Ugh, It's Not a Phase, Mom! (Pokemon Black Nuzlocke - Emo Edition)

Discussion in 'Other Pokémon Games' started by Syaoron the Fox, Apr 29, 2017.

1. Syaoron the Fox

Skittles
    (Zapdos Egg)
    Level 5
    PokéPoints:
    ₽339.0
    Poké Ball ★Dawn Stone ★★★★Reaper Cloth ★★★
    Ugh, here we go. Hey everyone! Syao coming at you with a Nuzlocke. Seems like everyone is doing one of these things lately, eh?

So yes, I am picking up Pokémon Black. But what's the rest, you say? Well, after a bit of deliberation, and some professional advice ( Thanks, @[member="TheIllusionFox"] ), I decided that I'm going to document my journey as a narrative. Just as the forum title says, this will be my character's journal through his harrowing Nuzlocke trial. Except this character has one fatal character flaw. Can you guess it?

He's Emo.

The rules for my Nuzlocke are as follows:

1. I can only catch the first Pokémon in each area.
    2. If a Pokémon faints, it's dead-a-reano. Send it to the PC graveyard.
    3. 2 Pokémon Center heals per Gym city. One for non Gym cities.
    4. All Pokémon must be nicknamed UPON capture.
    5. If all my Pokémon faint, I lost the nuzlocke.
    6. My starter will be chosen by 12-sided die throw (guess my emo kid is a nerd). 1-4 is Snivy, 5-8 is Tepig, 9-12 is Oshawott.
    7. No legendaries (Pokémon given to me by NPCs are ok).
    8. No abuse of the Pokémon Dream World.

No other rules for now. For future reference, my character's name is Syao.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Achromatic, Arc1Dragon and JadeFox like this.
  2. HiddenLore

Time Master
    (Dialga Egg)
    Level 36
    PokéPoints:
    ₽11,746.6
    Crown of ValorPoké Ball ★Root Fossil ★★★Beedrillite ★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★
    Not that you can use the dream world anyway, since they shut that version of the site down.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. JadeFox

JadeFox Valor Veteran

Manchot
    (Piplup)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽91.6
    Premier Ball ★Beast Ball ★★★★Park Ball ★★★Mewnium Z  ★★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★
    Good luck with your nuzlocke! You definitely need all the help you can get well with these things! XD

4. Syaoron the Fox

Skittles
    (Zapdos Egg)
    Level 5
    PokéPoints:
    ₽339.0
    Chapter 1: Creeping Death

"The moment you choose the Pokémon that will accompany you on your journey, your story will truly begin. During your journey, you will meet many Pokémon and people with different personalities and points of view! I really hope you find what is important to you in all of those travels..."

Yeah. Right. 'Grow as a person.' What do you think I am, a 12-year-old clod? Well, you're wrong. 16-year-old clod will do just nicely.

"Syao!"

There was Cheren, overambitious as ever. He has good drive, really, but did he have to hound my house as soon as the professor came over?

"Professor Juniper came over, right? She said we can have a Pokémon?" said Cheren, with a voice like he could conquer the world.

"Well... yeah," he mumbled, combing my hair down. "Calm down, though. We have to wait for Bianca."

"Well, what's keeping her?"

I rolled my eyes. "What, you think I know? Girl things, maybe," I suggested, just to pacify his curiosity. "Like makeup. Or incessant fawning."

There was the sound of pounding feet and tripping up the stairs. "Am I late again?" called out a girl's voice. "So-ooooo-rry!"

I groaned a bit. Why were we friends with this flighty broad again?

Today we get our Pokémon from Professor Juniper. Everyone keeps saying it–they won't stop talking about it–but we haven't picked them out of the present box yet. At this point, I've zoned out of the conversation and resorted to looking at my bedsheets. Purple. Should have picked black.

Like my soul.

"Well, you pick first, Syao. We're in your house after all."

Naturally, the first thing I do is go downstairs. I hear the dread sound of hunger calling my name. Cheren grabbed me by my shirt collar though. "What are you doing?" he asked impatiently. "Pick your Pokémon!"

So, reluctantly, I open the box. There is a card, but I ignore it. Sentiments can wait for Pokémon. But which one? I'm an indecisive kid. Luckily, I'm also a nerd. "Cheren, pass me the d-12."

"Really? Luck of the draw on your first ever Pokémon?"

"Give me the die, Cheren."

I rolled... a 12. Well, that's what fate has chosen for me. According to the almighty Cthulhu, that meant Oshawott.

Bianca picked up Tepig, and that left Cheren with Snivy. Bianca immediately challenged me to a battle. In my house? Really?! With the anger within me, I achieved an easy victory.

And now my room is destroyed. Cheren wants to battle, but all I want to do is organize my room. The dirtied the corner that I like to cry in; how dare they.

I crushed Cheren like a bug.
    ^/\^|v\/v

When we went downstairs, my mother berated me with some tale of her first Pokémon battle. Guess she heard the ruckus upstairs. "Mom," I tried to interrupt her. "I would really like to just go."

"Oh, okay sweetie!"

"And don't call me that!"

She gave me my X-transceiver before I rushed off. Fate and its cruelty awaited me.

Had to round up Bianca. Her dad is against this journey with all his heart. He's got one thing right though: Bianca is clueless about the world. Pretty much about anything.

We went in to talk to the professor, and the second thing that came out of her mouth was: "Oh, did you want to nickname your Pokémon?"

Well, in reverence for my role-playing, my darkest hobby, I named my Oshawatt Cthulhu, ruler of the Underdark and Master of R'lyeh. Praise be unto him.

Cheren keeps interrupting the professor. Overachiever. I bet he also has a strict bed time.

We got our pokedexes, and Mom came and dropped off a town map.

Huh... Never really thought about going on a journey as maturation. I guess it is like a right-of-passage. Like a butterfly coming out of its shell. Like the dead rising from the grave.

Wait, scratch that last one.

"Ooh, let's take our first steps into route 1 together!"

Oh geez Bianca...
    ^/\^|v\/v

The Professor showed us how to catch a Pokémon right afterward–yeah, like we haven't caught enough Pokémon in the games to know how it's done.

And then we received Poké Balls of our own. Let the culling begin.

Whoa, what was that voice?

Bianca spoke up then: "Hey, let's see who can catch the most Pokémon before Accumula town!" I looked down at my feet, upset. Somehow, I knew I was only going to get one.

You've entered a world of suffering, young fool. I bequeath to thee only a single Pokémon per area!

Okay... strange voice. When was the last time I took my medicine for schizophrenia?

The first Pokémon I encounter is... a Patrat. Easily, I capture this creature and name him Slave. Not sure why I am compelled to do that.

I run into a Lillipup next... and it critical strikes Cthulhu. His broken, otter corpse lies before me, and I can only stare in agony. The Patrat that I just caught was weak, and also died. And then... I expected the battle to be over, but the Lillipup turned its hungry eyes for me, thirsty for more.

It lunged for my throat, and the world claimed me for its own.

~~

Okay, I have to admit, that was a pretty bad first attempt. But I got crit-hit! I had no heal items! I died on route 1! T_T Perhaps making Cthulhu the mascot for my first run was not the best idea.

~~

"Syao? You there buddy?"

What a strange feeling. Cold and dark... Like my life had been ripped away, and I had been welcomed into the arms of death.

Ah, take me now, sweet release of death.

"Syao, you still have to pick your Pokémon."

I groaned as Cheren pestered me to retrieve my Pokémon. "Hand me the d-12, Cheren." I expected him to mock me, but he performed the task without even a single joke. And so I rolled...a 1. The laws of the universe dictated that I must have a Snivy.

Which therefore meant that Cheren had a Tepig, and Bianca had an Oshawott. They both challenged me to battle.

For some reason, I was intensely and deeply afraid of critical hits.

Other things happened that day, but I hardly paid attention. I was focusing more on what I wanted to call my newfound pet. Cthulhu? No wait, something about that seemed horribly wrong.

Ah, wintertime. My favorite time of the year. When it was cold, liked to pretend that people's spirits were evaporating into thin air when they breathed. What, don't tell me you never did that? I like winter so much, I decided to name my Snivy sniffles, because that's what you do when you're cold. It sounds kind of like his species name, right?

"We can go now right?" I'd zoned out all the way up until the professor had left. Bianca, shy, twiddled her thumbs. "I hope that our adventure goes well... I really want to find out what I'm meant for in life."

Huh. The meaning of life, eh? That was a suffering thought that would have to wait till later, though. The professor wanted to explain to us how Pokémon were caught. So we waited, let her stroke her ego to us young-ones, and watched.

But when she was done, it was like the world opened up. This was our right-of-passage, our destiny. The whole world lay before us.

Well, it appeared to. I knew I was in the hands of fate, my life guided by some unforeseeable force. That's just the way life is. Hopeless monotony, then death.

I like the way you think, kid.

Damn, forgot my schizo meds. Though now I have a strange sense of Deja-vu.

"By the way," Cheren added, "She forgot to say that Pokémon jump out of tall grass."

Ya don't say.

My first encounter along route 1 is... a Patrat. Pokédex says it's only level 2. Couldn't you be at least a little stronger? I nickname him Slave because that is the sole purpose of his existence.

Whoa. Calm down there. Ignoring that thought, I nickname him Google, because his eyes look a little googly.

Instead of sticking around to risk grinding up my Snivy–I am really scared of route 1 and want to leave as soon as possible–I head straight down the path, meeting with Cheren and Bianca and expecting to lose the contest of catching Pokémon...

"We all have two!" exclaimed Bianca. "Isn't that neat?"

Huh. I guess that is neat.

Prof. Juniper showed us to the Pokémon center and... yes, she did force me to heal. You know, you only get one of those in this town. Thanks voice. You know what? I'm going to call you Cthulhu instead.

Juniper showed us around the other facilities. How to store Pokémon–You're gonna need that a lot–and how to buy items. I don't like how she treats us like barely functional human beings. I know how to get things from a store. My mom taught me how.

And lady, you're not my mom.

I know the journey ahead will be harrowing, and fraught with danger and death. Naturally, the cure for danger and death is conveniently available at the PokéMart in the form of potions. So I burn every Poké I have on balls and potions. I'm void, just like my soul. I take my items and leave and...

Wait, now it's Spring? Did the time change that fast? More importantly, who are these weirdos in pajamas?

"We are Team Plasma!" shouted an old man with green hair and robes. He'd look more at home in a Halloween party. "Hear us, people, and liberate your Pokémon!"

Liberate them? An interesting message, but like all other things today, I immediately ignored it. Seems I'm beginning to lose touch with events around me.

"Excuse me?"

Another green haired weirdo. He was wearing a cap, and he approached us politely. He seemed interested in what our Pokémon were... saying? He claims he can talk to Pokémon, and I should prove the bond between me and my Pokémon.

So it's time for a fight!

When I defeated him, he seemed sad. "Pokémon will never be perfect beings. Not until they are all released," he said, backing away slowly. "Pokémon are my friends; know that." And then he ran off.

He was single-minded and moody. To an extent, this guy was like me. Cheren has already left to go challenge gyms in Striaton. Not even noon, and already my best friends have abandoned me. I bet my mom won't even write to me.

Now that I've left Accumula, my mom has surprised me. Coming up from behind, she smiled. "Try these on!" she said, offering me a pair of shoes. "With these you'll be able to run finally!"

Psh... I could always run. I just chose not to.

"Anyway, I love you sweetie. Remember, I'll always be here for you." Then she left.

A cried. But just a little. She was my mom, after all.

A new route means a new Pokémon. That's how this works, right?

Yes. And what shall our next prey for the culling be?

It's... another Patrat. Guess I'll need lots of these guys. But what for, Cthulhu?

For sacrifice, my pupil. And for slavery!

Well, this one is stronger, so I'll keep it in my party. The weak get weeded out here. Survival of the fittest and that jazz. This one will be named Plex, to match Google.

In order to survive the impending horror, I set out to do some grinding. Each Pokémon I defeat strengthens Sniffles even more. In our wake is a plethora of carcasses. They were fated to die by my hand. More blood for the blood god! Skulls for the skull throne!

Just as I'm finished grinding, I'm suddenly accosted by that flighty broad–I mean Bianca. How dare she attack me while I'm weak? With no PP for vine whip–my only grass move right now–Sniffles will have to kill it the old-fashion way. She gets a crit, but I luckily survive.

Actually, just in case I have bad luck, I think I'll grind up Plex. Just in case.

I'm exhausted, and it's been a long day. With new friends, and one unrelenting voice–

Hey!

–I have finally begun my journey into adulthood...

Maybe I'll get lucky, and the sweet release of death will come while I sleep.

Well, there you go! An unfortunate start, I'm afraid. I'm still working on this style of writing, so it's a bit awkward. I may move to a Journal format rather than a Narrative, but I'm not sure yet. Tell me what you think of the adventures of Syao and his schizo voice Cthulhu! This is all I can do for right now, but hopefully future updates will be longer and more eventful.

Summary:

Party:
    Snivy (Sniffles) Lvl. 12
    Male - Brave
    [​IMG]

Patrat (Google) Lvl. 2
    Male - Hasty
    [​IMG]

Patrat (Plex) Lvl. 4
    Male - Hasty
    [​IMG]

Boxed:
    None

Dead:
    None

5. HiddenLore

Time Master
    (Dialga Egg)
    Level 36
    PokéPoints:
    ₽11,746.6
    That poor oshawat. That's my favorite Unova starter (except for its final stage) Good luck in the new run. Hopefully your Patrat army will be awesome.

6. Syaoron the Fox

Skittles
    (Zapdos Egg)
    Level 5
    PokéPoints:
    ₽339.0
    Chapter 2: The Dreamyard

"Are you looking for the gym leader?"[/SIZE]

"Yes." [/SIZE]

"Well, he ain't here."[/SIZE]

I rolled my eyes and glared at the white haired man. Doesn't he realize how much of an inconvenience? Just my luck. Off to the trainer's school I go.[/SIZE]

As soon as I stepped into the trainer school, I knew it would just a breeding ground for ignorance. Status effects; who doesn't know about those? Poison, paralysis, sleep, freeze, burn, and confusion. Cheren is at the front though, studying. He really wants to become the best there is. Dunno how he intends to do that if he keeps losing to me.[/SIZE]

When I left to return to the gym, the gym leader was outside, waiting for me. What does he tell me though? "Your first Pokémon... what was it?"[/SIZE]

"Sniffles." He gave me an odd look. "I-I mean Snivy."[/SIZE]

"Well, you should prepare to face against types you're weak to. Go train in the Dreamyard."[/SIZE]

Then he walked inside. [/SIZE]

See? Even the gym leader knows that grinding is important. Get along, now. Death awaits.[/SIZE]

Really wishing I had brought my meds now, but he is right. I wouldn't want my Pokémon getting hurt. I have to admit–though I'd never tell anyone–I'm actually beginning to like these guys. Especially Sniffles, and those big eyes of his.[/SIZE]

So, off to the Dreamyard! Since it's a new area, I suppose I'll try to catch another buddy to use as cannon fodder add to my party. I don't know what Cthulhu's got against these little guys. Pokémon are about the only good thing in this world.[/SIZE]

But before I even find a patch of tall grass, a woman in the yard with three monkey-like Pokémon comes up to me. "You must be a trainer. You're pretty strong if you beat all the trainers before me."[/SIZE]

Flattery will get you nowhere woman. Get to the point. "U-uh, yes. And?"[/SIZE]

"But you'll need more than strength to defeat the gym leader," she said, smiling. "Your first Pokémon was Snivy, right? Take my Panpour with you to protect it."[/SIZE]

"Okay."[/SIZE]

That doesn't count right? That's not part of the one-mon-per-area rule, right?[/SIZE]

Nope.[/SIZE]

Good. I was worried. I name the Panpour Tori, like my sister: a total monkey, but she's got my back when I need her to. Only then do I realize that it was a male...[/SIZE]

There's a stumpy tree blocking my path into the actual Dreamyard, so no new Pokémon for me yet. Guess there's nothing better to do that face the gym. I decide to save my money: with only 1200 Poké to my name, I'd rather not spend it just yet. Instead, I give Sniffles an Oran berry to hold, in case things go sour.[/SIZE]

Actually, maybe a few potions.[/SIZE]

Time to battle Chili! Though his Lilipup cut things close, Tori was my trump card in dealing with his Pansear. And with that, I received the Trio Badge! No deaths occured.[/SIZE]

I want to heal my Pokémon, but as soon as I do, I'm accosted by a woman. Ah, this is the Fennel the Professor wanted me to meet. Apparently they're friends from... College? Do we even have a Pokémon college in Unova? Not unless it's that dinky Trainer school.[/SIZE]

"So I brought you here because I want to give you this," she said. She handed me HM 01 Cut, and then she handed me a request. "I need you to go into the Dreamyard and collect dream mist from a Pokémon that lives there."[/SIZE]

Begrudgingly, I left to perform the task. I guess I did still want a Pokémon from there. Quickly though, I taught cut to Plex. Ah yes, the first of many weights we will bear our slave with! [/SIZE]

But quickly, things turn sour in the Dreamyard. Bianca and I–yes, she sort of turned up–were looking for the Pokémon Munna when we were suddenly and vehemently accosted by those Team Plasma dweebs. They took Munna, and...[/SIZE]

Nothing has made me angrier than to see those grunts kicking around the Munna, all for its dream mist. I knew instantly that I needed to teach them a lesson. [/SIZE]

Unfortunately, I lost one comrade... Google died, on the nasty end of a Patrat's bide. I thought I could kill it before its Bide completed, but I was wrong, and poor Google bore the brunt of my failure...[/SIZE]

Team Plasma ran off, and a Musharna came out of hiding to protect its Munna, but I wasn't really focused on that at the moment. I was holding my bloodied, beaten Google in my arms and crying a bit. I think Bianca was a little scared for me, and she knelt beside me. "Look, Syao, I..." she mumbled. Her innocence was cute, but now it almost seemed patronizing. She could't bear to look at Google, and before long, she ran off to go search for Musharna. [/SIZE]

I was just getting to know my Pokémon...[/SIZE]

Eh, it was bound to happen.[/SIZE]

Shut up! I'll give him a proper burial later. Now though, I'm going to try catching another Pokémon. My first encounter is... a Purrloin. Feisty cat, I think I might like this one. I name it Furfur, after a catty character I once made in a role play.[/SIZE]

Yes, yes, it is cute. Back to the grind! In a moment, Cthulhu. But first...[/SIZE]

Rain over the Dreamyard as I dug a deep hole. I figured this place more than any other should be the site of my first dead friend. As I dug the pit of death, I came to a realization that this was only the first of many. Many Pokémon would die alongside me, all for the sake of fulfilling my dream.[/SIZE]

Dream...? What was my dream? What did I ever hope to accomplish in this dismal world? Perhaps I have no dream, but for Google's sake, it's time I found one. I need something worth fighting for if I'm ever going to justify the mounds of bodies that will lie in my destructive wake.[/SIZE]

Here lies Google[/SIZE]

He had some funny eyes[/SIZE]
    But he saw more than I ever will[/SIZE]

Alright! Honestly, not too disappointed with Google's death. It was a necessary sacrifice to make for the safety of Sniffles, and he was still only Lvl. 2 anyway. It could have been much worse.
    It was a short update, but that's because I'm trying to make it a narrative still. I think I'm going to keep doing it this way. I really enjoy it. So anyway...

Summary:

Party:
    Snivy (Sniffles) Lvl. 14
    Male - Hasty

[​IMG]

Panpour (Tori) Lvl. 12
    Male - Mild
    [​IMG]

Patrat (Plex) Lvl. 8
    Male - Hasty
    [​IMG]

Purrloin (Furfur) Lvl. 8
    Female - Careful
    [​IMG]

Boxed:
    None

Graveyard:

[​IMG] Google

#6 Apr 30, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2017
  7. Syaoron the Fox

Skittles
    (Zapdos Egg)
    Level 5
    PokéPoints:
    ₽339.0
    Chapter 3: Knock knock

“Thanks so much for grabbing that dream mist for me!”

Woman, can you not see that I am in mourning? “No problem, I guess…”

“Here,” said Fennel as she dropped me a small device. “Take this C-gear. It’s pretty useful, I think.”

“Thank you.” I’ll probably never touch it again, but I didn’t want to tell her that. Too lazy to be mean today.

After one final rest at the Striaton Pokémon center, I was off once more. This time to the west, hopefully to get another new Pokémon. But before that, I come upon a Pokémon daycare. What better to do than to challenge the kids there to grind some exp?

Yes, crush the small ones!

Once I’m done beating children, I walk along the route. So close to a new Pokémon... But oh no, here comes the overachiever.

“Syao!” shouts Cheren. “We both have the Trio Badge. Let’s fight!”

So we did, and I won, needless to say. But as soon as we called back our Pokémon, we were pushed aside. Two pajama-wearing Plasma grunts bowled us over and took off down the route. I swear, if I get my hands on them…

Bianca was trailing them, and at her side was a child. “Really? Darn, they run so fast!” she exclaimed. “Those crooks stole this girls Pokémon!”

Cheren’s glare was intense, but I’d wager mine was deeper. “Why didn’t you speak up sooner? Come on, Syao; we’ve a Pokémon to rescue.”

“Right!”

So Cheren took off, speeding ahead like he always does. Meanwhile… I uncovered an Audino in the bushes. This was my chance to catch it! Effortlessly, I snagged the Audino, and quickly named it Leila in honor of the medic in one of my role plays.

Now, time to take on those thugs. I ran quickly after Cheren and we cornered them in a cave. They thought that spouting their silly philosophy would save them. Sniffles annihilated the thugs’ Pokémon with ease.

But then came more, and instead of taking them on individually, Cheren and I double teamed them. “Fine. Take the Pokémon,” they grumbled after a grueling defeat. “But understand that this Pokémon suffers under the rule of you dirty trainers. We’ll be back!”

Yes, let more come! All will fall before us!

You’re a little crazier today than normal, Cthulhu.

After returning the Pokémon to the girl, I received some heal balls. With these, I went back into the cave to search for a Pokémon to capture myself. And it’s a… Woobat? What is this creature with a heart for an eye? Sometimes, I’m really not sure how evolution works out for these Pokémon. I caught it anyway; a nocturnal, shy Pokémon such as this should suit me perfectly, and it shall be named Darkling, since it is my first Pokémon caught in the lovely dark.

Deciding that it’d be best to have one Pokémon level in reserve, I deposit Furfur at the Pokémon daycare. I’ll be back for it later, if I don’t completely forget its existence.

As I continue to grind, it occurs to me that I still have not thought of a dream worthy of Google’s redemption. I guess I’d never really thought about it before. Becoming champion sounds nice, but is someone as cold as me worthy of that title? I’ll have to think more about it.

I got lucky with Leila. He’s bulky, with huge defense and special defense. He’ll be useful for grinding out certain battles, I can already tell. Yes, a meat shield such as this will do nicely for my army! Your army? Buddy, these are my friends. We’re not going to war.

“Syao, wait up!”

I swear Cheren, if it’s another battle—

“In the darker grass, two Pokémon sometimes jump out at you. You have to be careful of that,” he said to me. There was a smile on his face as he rushed off. He was such a headstrong guy. He’d end up hurting himself if he pushed himself too hard. I didn’t want to lose any more friends.

Some risky battle along this route, but luckily I’ve pulled through.

A darn shame too.

Hey, exactly whose side are you on?

The side of death!

Or… I almost pulled through. A critical bite from a wild Patrat killed Darkling, shredding its wing. He was buried alongside the route.

Here lies Darkling

He had hearts in his eyes

I wonder if they were for me

In reverence for Darkling, I moved on to Nacrene city. I tried not to cry all along the way. Why does this always happen to me? What is life if it means I must lose my friends all along the way?

It’s the way that we grow, Syao.

Oh, trying to comfort me now?

No. We grow through the help of others. You said so yourself. You too must grow and learn. Even if they must die.

Yes, I feel so much better.

I met with Cheren in Nacrene, where he showed me the Pokémon center. “Here,” he said as he handed me some Chesto berries. “These should help. And the gym type is Normal. I recommend getting a fighting type.”

“Where am I supposed to get one?”

“How am I to know? Figure it out.”

Thanks, wise-guy.

I decided to go back and grind before the gym. Luckily, Sniffles evolved into Servine, which makes up for Darkling’s death… I still miss him.

This town is strange. Seems it was an old warehouse facility that was repurposed into a populated town. I guess the idea was nice, but the décor could use a bit of sprucing up. More walls. I hear Black City to the northeast is practically a labyrinth of walls and alleys. Perfect for me.

I stock up on potions, use my heal, and head to the gym. Why am I only allowed one heal before and one after?

To conserve resources! Pokémon centers are expensive.

Didn’t figure you for a conservationist, Cthulhu.

I was about to go to the gym, when out comes N again. I’m not sure how I feel about this fellow. On the one hand, he’s like me; strong-willed, but sad on the inside. On the other hand, he’s a Team Plasma sympathizer, and I can never forgive anyone who sides with them. Not after what they did to Google and Munna in the Dreamyard.

Fellow does a lot of mumbling. I wonder if I sound like that. After he mumbled a few words that I couldn’t hear, he challenged me to harrowing battle. With no deaths, I defeated the green-haired revolutionary, and eyed him with a steely gaze. “The future is yet to be determined,” he said. “I am not yet strong enough to make people see my way. I must gain this power. To that end, I will have the Zekrom, and like the hero of old, I will shape this land in my image!”

Then he left. I’m not sure if he’s just a crazy fool, or a deranged revolutionary, but I’m scared of him.

More scared than you are of your own thoughts?

Quiet, monster. I have a gym to battle.

Knock knock; it’s death, here with new depression. Act now, and we’ll throw in a beating for free. I charge to the back of the museum, ignoring offers for a tour, and bust into the gym. All this anger I have is just waiting to get out.

That said, the trainers in Lenora’s gym are incredibly strong. Is it foolish for me to be doing this? I’m scared as I approach Lenora, my anger long since burnt up from running around her library puzzle. I… I… I can do this.

I challenge Lenora to a battle.

At first, I’m fearful of her Lvl. 18 Herdier, but an ingenious idea strikes me. Cheren should really be asking me for battle strategies. I first send out Leila, and use attract. Since it’s of the opposite gender, it ends up falling in love. Now, I growl his attack into submission so Sniffles can take him out. Leila’s Regenerate ability allows her to get some health back from the swap too!

With Herdier’s attack so low, I can grind up Sniffles’ attack by using Growth while avoiding serious damage. This way, he can take on her next—

Sniffles is killed by a critical hit. Lenora heals with a super potion. My life, as I know it, is over.

I’m breathing heavily as my broken friend lay there. It’s now or never. I switch into Leila to perform the same attract tactic as last time when she pulls out her Watchog. Nothing in my arsenal is strong enough to beat it. And when even Plex—Lvl. 9 Plex—is killed with a single hit, her Watchog suddenly turns its rabid eyes on me.

This is it for you, boy.

“Wait, Watchog! What are you doing?” Lenora cries out suddenly, shocked as her Watchog does the unthinkable. I can only watch, disconnected, as the Watchog runs up to me, and bites into me with its strong teeth. The blood flows, and soon, I black out.

Knock knock. It’s death.

Okay... Admittedly, should have done my research on Lenora. I forgot how high the leveling scaled with her evolved Pokémon. In the end, my unwillingness to grind to higher levels cost me. I thought I could take her on, especially with that strategy. I was wrong.

This game is much harder than I thought it was. But I will come back, stronger than last time! I will rebuild my team all the way up to this point, and then I will post again.

#7 Apr 30, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2017
    JadeFox likes this.
  8. JadeFox

JadeFox Valor Veteran

Manchot
    (Piplup)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽91.6
    Oh wow, I didn't even really think Lenora would be that hard. I guess it's the Normal Types that kill us the most XD. But you did really good in this nuzlocke! Keep up the good work, and I hope to see another nuzlocke soon!

Syaoron the Fox likes this.
  9. Syaoron the Fox

Skittles
    (Zapdos Egg)
    Level 5
    PokéPoints:
    ₽339.0
    Oh no, believe me. I will not let this game conquer me. I'm going to give it one more try, grind it up, and get back to Lenora. Then I shall face her again, when I am ready. Should have stuck with my gut instinct and ground more though. T_T

JadeFox likes this.
  10. HiddenLore

Time Master
    (Dialga Egg)
    Level 36
    PokéPoints:
    ₽11,746.6
    Rough. break Good luck with the restart and let's make it to the end

11. Syaoron the Fox

Skittles
    (Zapdos Egg)
    Level 5
    PokéPoints:
    ₽339.0
    Okay, short update today, but that's because...

I finally got past Lenora! For only one reason, too, and I forgot completely about this one thing I could have done to make it easier. Oh well. No end summary today, because now I have a beginning summary about everything that won't be documented in today's short narrative.

Summary:
    • Rolled an 8, so I'm starting with Tepig. I've now used every starter at least once. Named him Beevus, because it was a pun off of "Beef", even though he's a pig...
    • Caught Patrat on route 1 (again). Tried to name him Patpat, but accidentally typed Patrat instead. O_O #NuzlockeFailed
    • Caught another Patrat on route 2. Named it Gentry, because I wanted something that sounded like "sentry"
    • Received Panguru from lady in Dreamyard. Nicknamed it Guru-Sama because it looks like it's meditating in its final form kinda.
    • Actually in Dreamyard, caught a Munna, nicknamed it Lunna. Also, no deaths so far. Last time, I lost Google to those Team Plasma Grunts.
    • Beat the Trio, and got the Trio Badge (kinda comes before the last bullet point, though.)
    • Put Lunna in daycare and ran into tall grass. Another Patrat, so I just killed it. Too many Patrats.
    • In cave, caught another Woobat. Named it Zubalezu after this funny video I once saw.
    • Grinding for hours
    And Last but not least, the biggest accomplishment:

Chapter 4: Gotta Get Back

Can it be? I can hardly believe it. After one last Arm Thrust, Lenora’s Watchog falls to its knees, and is recalled to the Poké ball. I… I’ve done it. “Good job, Syao!” Gym Leader Lenora says with a hearty laugh. “Here’s the Basic Badge! You’ve earned it.”

Ah, of course. The Basic badge, given to me by a basic bi—

“Honey, come quickly!” I whip my head around; the proprietor of the museum—Lenora’s husband—is panicking. “Some ruffians have showed up, and they’re trying to steal my artifacts!”

I sighed as Lenora ran off. Not even enough time to relish in my victory. Beevus looks up at me, expecting praise. All I can give him is a pat on the head before we rush off.

When I arrive on the scene, Team Plasma—who else?—has gone and stolen the skull of a dragon’s skeleton. Lenora went charging blindly after them. But why are they interested in a skull?

Obviously it is for the skull throne! Skulls for the—!

Yes, yes, we get it Cthulhu. Who wouldn’t want such a cool skull, though? That said, I run off in pursuit of them, but they’ve already escaped. Instead, Lenora is chatting up… Who is this man with a green jumpsuit and a red bandana? Could it be…?

Rock Lee?

“Burgh, what are you doing in away from Castelia? Suffering from artist’s block again?”

“Oh, just out for a stroll, my dear.”

A stroll? Castelia is miles from here, you buffoon. You’ve been strolling for hours.

Cheren and Bianca showed up, and Lenora then gave the low down: “Alright everyone, my exhibit’s been stolen, so we need to act fast!” she cried out. “Burgh and Syao, go west! And hurry!”

Then she scuttled off. Now I’m to escort this jumpsuit man—excuse me, gym leader—off to Pinwheel forest. I make quick use of my heal at the Pokémon center, grab a few items, and then run off.

Based on the relatively low level of the Pokémon in the beginning area of Pinwheel forest, I’m starting to think I should have come here to grind before the gym. Then it might not have been so hard…

Additionally, I battled a field nurse. I guess that means infinite heals?

Anything to say, Cthulhu?

Well, she’s not a Pokémon center, but… uh…

Huh, I’ve even stumped my own insanity this time. I caught a Pidove in this area, and named it Peen because frankly, that is what that goo looks like hanging off its beak.

Other than that, I take a break and chat up the nurse for a little while. It’s been a long day; I mean, I just beat Lenora. What else could I have on my plate?

Besides catching criminals, of course.

#11 May 2, 2017
  12. JadeFox

JadeFox Valor Veteran

Manchot
    (Piplup)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽91.6
    That's actually what I did with one lady in my Emerald nuzlocke... but technically you never extended the one heal rule to the field nurses, sooooooooo.... hint hint wink wink XD

Syaoron the Fox likes this.
  13. Syaoron the Fox

Skittles
    (Zapdos Egg)
    Level 5
    PokéPoints:
    ₽339.0
    Yeeeeaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh buddy! :hello: Another thing that I just thought about: does the Nuzlocke end when I defeat N and hit the first credit screen, or when I actually get into the hall of fame? o.O

14. JadeFox

JadeFox Valor Veteran

Manchot
    (Piplup)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽91.6
    Ummm... I'm not really sure. I was thinking that it would be after N, but nuzlockes from different games would end at the Hall of Fam(e)... so because of that, I probably would say at the Hall of Fame.

15. Syaoron the Fox

Skittles
    (Zapdos Egg)
    Level 5
    PokéPoints:
    ₽339.0
    Awww hell. T_T I think I have to grind up to lvl 70 for that. I'll see how I feel if I get up to N.

16. JadeFox

JadeFox Valor Veteran

Manchot
    (Piplup)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽91.6
    Wait, they're THAT STRONG?! I didn't even think about that! But one question; doesn't the main story end after you fight N, or is it after the Hall of Fame? Because now that I think about it, as long as you finish the story, I think you completed the nuzlocke.

17. Syaoron the Fox

Skittles
    (Zapdos Egg)
    Level 5
    PokéPoints:
    ₽339.0
    Yeah, since I think that's your second time battling them, they're the second grade stronger, which is like level 70s or 80s. I guess technically beating N is completing the story, but it seems weird to not finish in the Hall of Fame, no?

18. HiddenLore

Time Master
    (Dialga Egg)
    Level 36
    PokéPoints:
    ₽11,746.6
    You don't have to get to the hall of fame. In all honesty, a nuzlocke ends when you say it does, there are people who extend it in HG/SS so that they have to beat the kanto side as well. Typically I am a bit more lazy. I never do the heal limit thing for instance, so I have no opinion on field nurses. They are a consistent part of Unova if I remember correctly, so it might be easier to allow them, or you could be generous and say 2, making them like a free gym city.

19. Syaoron the Fox

Skittles
    (Zapdos Egg)
    Level 5
    PokéPoints:
    ₽339.0
    Chapter 5: Code of Conduct

Don’t do it.

But I must.

It’s against the spirit of the law!

But it follows the word. Besides, I need all the help I can get. I suck in a breath and ask the nurse: “Hey, could you heal my Pokémon?”

“Sure thing sweetie!” she said in reply. As she cured my sleeping Peen, I waited…

Well, the universe didn’t collapse, so it must be okay. I win, and you lose, Cthulhu. So, taking advantage of this loophole, I decide to grind up Peen and Zubalezu.

I breathe a deep sigh. My first death: Peen falls breath to a critical Rock Throw against another trainer. I swear, why do fighting types get such great moves to counter Flying and Psychic types? Its unfair.

So I lay my broken and beaten Peen down in Pinwheel forest. I hardly even met him…

Here lies Peen

What was that dongle on your beak?

No seriously, what is it?

I’m now deathly afraid of sending Zubalezu out to fight Fighting types. Which is absurd—it’s Psychic and Flying—but there are just too many counters, and he’s too weak.

Another annoying thing: Bide. Couldn’t run away from a Pokémon after I attacked it while it was biding, and killed Patrat. Poor little guy…

No grave for him. I really didn’t care. Ah, he begins to lose feeling! I’m not becoming emotionless. It was just a… necessary sacrifice…

I’m a monster. Now that I’ve finished grinding, I make my way into Pinwheel Forest. Time to work with that eccentric, Rock Lee lookalike. “Alright,” Burgh says as he’s waiting on the path. “I’ll take the road to head them off. You take the winding path with trainers.”

“You think Team Plasma is hiding back there?” I asked, fired up to go dispense some justice.

“Yes,” he said with singsong words. “There are a few trainers and other wild Pokémon, but it should be fine.” With that he left, and no sooner than his departure did I realize the striking fact that I had been given the bulk of the work in this group project. Why that lazy…

I run off to the side path then, and it’s full of Plasma members, just waiting for a pummeling. But in between battles, I pull off into the grass and find a Simipour! It would be perfect for balancing out my team, so I catch it in a heal ball and decide to train it up along the way. To match Guru-Sama, I name him Pour-Sama.

I noticed you’ve left quite the pile of Audino in your wake. Huh? I like behind me and noticed a few Audino I’ve kayoed. Well, the reason is obvious; they’re cuteness was too great, and to pay for such a sin, they must be punished.

Also, they’re great for exp farming for some reason.

Remember what I said about Bide? Pour-Sama lies dead from it now. I’m furious. That move isn’t even very good at helping you survive, it’s just an irritating tactic! I had nothing that I could swap in in place of Pour-Sama, and thus he died. I really liked him too.

My fury is blinding. It’s starting to look like I’ll only ever get three Pokémon to keep around. These Plasma guys have stolen my friends from me more times than I can count. But look, who’s this?

A man in brown robes, the Plasma symbol emblazoned on his lapel, has come, and Burgh chasing after him, with Lenora right behind. Now we’ve got them cornered; the skull is ours for the taking!

Now that we’ve taken it, they’re off and running. “Well, they’re a speedy bunch, that’s for sure,” said Lenora, exhasperated.

“Then it’s high time for me to head back,” said Burgh with a chuckle. “I’ll be awaiting your challenge, Syao.”

Then Burgh left. In exchange for the skull, Lenora gave me… a rock? A Moon Stone, she called it, an item used by some Pokémon to evolve. Then, she was gone, giving me time to mourn my lost friend…

I lay Pour-Sama down by a small lake. I’m sure this is how he would have liked it. It seems I just can’t keep any Pokémon around except for Guru-Sama, Beevus, and Zubalezu. And Gentry, I guess, but I don’t much like him. As he rests in a beam of sunlight, I write his eulogy.

Here lies Pour-Sama

I wanted him to balance my team.

Now there is an imbalance in my soul

And so, I leave the forest, my task complete, and my heart heavy. But what awaits me… it’s a thing of beauty. Sky Arrow Bridge; I’d never been on it before, but there’s a reason they call it that. It’s immense and narrow, just for pedestrians to walk on, and it goes on forever, it feels. If you look off to the side, you can see a wide expanse of ocean. Just seeing the beauty of this sight has given me the strength to go on, I feel. Even in moments of such intense solitude, this gorgeous vista has showed me that I never truly am alone. I walk alongside Beevus, and I’m holding his hoof. Just holding hands with my Pokémon has had an uplifting effect on me.

Oh, get on with it you ninny. What is this, a soap opera?

So uplifted that I almost forgot about you, Cthulhu.

Well, I’m still here. Don’t go getting all happy on me.

Fine. Buzzkill.

I enter Castellia city, a beautiful cityscape. And there’s an air of local music being played; but I’m not digging it. If anything, the music has done more to end my happiness than swell it.

A strange, astute looking man gifted me with a Leaf Stone, said it was for evolving my Pansage. So I give it to Sage-Sama, and lo, he evolves into Simisage! Hopefully with this, he’ll become more powerful, and less defensively weak.

I run over to the Castellia gym, deciding it’s time to earn my third badge from that buffoon Burgh, but Cheren’s already beaten me to the punch. He exits the gym and smiles at me. “Going to challenge? Those bug-types weren’t a problem for me,” he said confidently. “Try to keep up, Syao. I’m going to the top, and I’ll challenge the Elite Four. That will help me truly feel alive.”

“Um… well good luck,” I said. What else was there to say before he ran off? If he needs help feeling alive, we should have a heart to heart about that. I have the same problem.

Burgh rushes out first before I can challenge him. “Hey, can our fight wait just a teensy bit?” he asked. “I desperately need to go fight off these Team Plasma jerks at our pier. Hey, you can help!”

Again, I’ve been roped into solving other peoples’ problems for them. But it is Team Plasma; for this, I’ll be more than happy to help.

When I get to the pier, Burgh is there with Bianca and some short, purple-haired, brown-skinned girl. Who is that girl? Did she get her Pokémon stolen this time? “Syao,” Bianca suddenly calls out to me, but it’s not in that bouncy, happy tone she normally has. This time it’s fraught with tears. “Team Plasma… they took my Munna.”

Oh those sons of…

My rage was boiling while the purple-haired girl spoke, “I heard this lady’s scream and ran after the thieves, but I lost them in the city crowd.”

Burgh sighed and shook his head. “It’s okay, Iris. You did all you could.” Ah, her name was Iris? “We’ll hunt this thief down. The grunt must still be somewhere in the city; let’s hurry, Syao!”

I look back for a moment at Bianca. She’s crying, and her eyes are pleading me to get her Pokémon back. I swear I will, Bianca; even though I say nothing, I nod to her and she knows what I mean.

Making haste, we corner the thief in a hotel along the streets. They’re really bad at being subtle, what with their hoods and getup. When we get there, Burgh is having a battle of wits with their leader, Ghetsis. An argument arises—a very boring one at that—and the Munna is turned over.

Wait, just like that? Before I know it, they’ve already left, spouting nonsense about a black Dragon-type Pokémon of legend, something from the foundation story. Could they really be that crazy? Iris is rushing Bianca off; seems ilke they’ve become fast friends. And Burgh… well, he’s about to get his butt handed to him by me in the gym.

There’s something so beautiful about beating a gym leader. The moment of triumph when you’ve conquered the obstacles in your way, and therein lies the pinnacle of your challenge, the strongest trainer around. Defeating Burgh was a simple matter for Zubalezu and Beevus—Flying and Fire types as they are.

But now I am tired, and the day has gone by. I exit the gym and go down an alleyway by Second Street. If you blink, you’ll miss it, because it on the right side of the alley is a small hole-in-the-wall café. There, I sit down and chat with the man tending the bar to hell him the grueling tales of my misery.

[SIZE=12pt]Lots of sadness today. Three deaths! It's unbelievable. Moves like Bide are really getting on my nerves. That said, I actually really love the music for Castellia City and Sky Arrow Bridge. They're top notch pieces, in my opinion. Lots of good music in this game, actually![/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]But yes, bide sucks. You know what else sucks? Freakin' Fighting types who have access to all sorts of rock and dark moves and kill your flying and psychic types. Luckily, Zubalezu pulled through, and he's really making a name for himself on my team.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Things I forgot in the last update: Beevus (Tepig) evolved into Pignite. Helped make the Lenora fight way easier.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]So...[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Summary:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Party:[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]Pignite (Beevus) Lvl. 25[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]Male - Jolly[/SIZE]
    [​IMG]

[SIZE=12pt]Simisage (Guru-Sama) Lvl. 21[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]Male - Mild[/SIZE]
    [​IMG]

[SIZE=12pt]Woobat (Zubalezu) Lvl. 23[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]Female - Mild[/SIZE]
    [​IMG]

[SIZE=12pt]Patrat (Gentry) Lvl. 4[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]Female - Hardy[/SIZE]
    [​IMG]

[SIZE=12pt]Boxed:[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]None[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Graveyard:[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt][​IMG] ...Patrat [​IMG] ...Peen [​IMG] ...Pour-Sama[/SIZE][/hr]

#19 May 3, 2017
  20. Syaoron the Fox

Skittles
    (Zapdos Egg)
    Level 5
    PokéPoints:
    ₽339.0
    Chapter 6: Doom

"Hey Syao, I bet I've gotten stronger now!" You just lost your Munna. How could you already be stronger? "I'll be at the entrance to route 4. Come battle me, kay?"

"No, not kay. I'd rather–"

"Alright, I'll see you then!"

The x-transceiver signal fizzled out. Dammit, Bianca. I guess I could fight her before I use my heal, so run down to the circle in Castelia where the entrance to route 4 is. Off to the side, I notice that a trio of dancers are really getting at it. Pleasant; but could they do their shaking elsewhere? On the way there, I... Cthulhu, why are you making me grab Lemonade?

I have done no such thing. You're insane, remember?

Weird. Anyway, I grab a few lemonade from the vending machine. Not for myself of course, but for my Pokémon–I would never consume such a vile fluid; makes my lips pucker in pain. For my Pokémon though, it strangely enough serves as a healing item

And there she is, waiting on route 4. The woman of my heart's ire.

Don't you mean desire?

No, I mean ire. Like anger, specifically directed toward Bianca and Cheren's futile obsession with battling me. I dispatch her quickly and send her on her way. "You did, uh, good," I said, trying to add some encouraging words aside, but she seems happy enough on her own.

Speaking of the other devil: "Syao!" shouted Cheren through the blistering sandstorm on route 4. "You've got the insect badge, I see. So let's battle!"

"W-wait!" I shouted back. "How the hell did you know I got the insect badge?"

"I..." that stopped Cheren for a second, before he shrugged. "Well, why else would you be out here on route 4? Now come on!"

So I did come on, as he requested, and I beat his nerd face into the dusty sand. After the battle, Professor Juniper called and asked us to head straight for Nimbasa City; I guess that's our next destination then. But first...

Ooh, ooh, I know what comes next! Correct; it's a new route, with plenty to explore. I found a small house on the route where a woman offered me a bed and my Pokémon some rest so... More free heals! I can feel Cthulhu cursing me for my free heals, and I can only laugh in glee.

And the first Pokémon of the route is... Darumaka? Another fire-type? Well, I accidentally killed it, so no new Pokémon for me. I'm okay with that though; I'd prefer some type diversity. In this world, where there is so much that can kill me, I'd like to fortify my defenses in other areas.

Ah, a wild Sandile. Now that would have been nice to have. Can't I just catch this one? No. No more rule bending. Damn. Or a Scraggy! At least it's part dark. But Darumaka? That's just fire.

Speaking of Darumaka... A trainer's Darumaka just killed Guru-Sama. One-hit even though it was 6 levels lower. AGH! Now my top 3 is down to a top 2. My irritation is supreme. Now I'd better go over to that ruins area to try and catch a new Pokémon before Nimbasa.

But first... As the sand rolls over his body, I carve out a headstone for Guru-Sama to honor his valiant fall
    Here lies Guru-Sama
    Your defense was too low
    But so were the defenses on my heart

And in the Desert Resort I find... A Dwebble! Hey, that's not bad. Very carefully, I try not to kill it, and I catch it. I nickname him Pinch, since this is just the kind of Pokémon I need in a pinch. Pinch's sturdy ability has already saved it from some ridiculous critical hits, and for that, I can at least breathe easy.

While I'm here, I enter the relic castle and discover a Sandile, and I capture it, since this is a new area I name him Al, for my old school mascot. Now, of course, I have to keep them alive long enough for them to get stronger

And then the end comes. A trainer's Sigilyph one-hits all of my Pokémon except for Gentry and Beevus...

I need some time to go cry.

That last bit was actually me needing to cry. I made it so far, so many ups and downs, and then I lose it all on a single Sigilyph... Damn that high Sp. Attack. Just one things were starting to look up.

Summary:

Party:
    Pignite (Beevus) Lvl. 27
    Male - Jolly
    [​IMG]

Patrat (Gentry) Lvl. 12
    Female - Hardy
    [​IMG]

Boxed:
    NONE

Graveyard:
    [​IMG] ...Pinch [​IMG] ...Al [​IMG] ...Zubalezu [​IMG] ...Guru-Sama [SIZE=12pt][​IMG] ...Patrat [​IMG][/SIZE] ...Peen [​IMG] ...Pour-Sama