1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Gameplay Journal Ultra Biker - Riding out in the Sun

Discussion in 'Other Pokémon Games' started by Jeydis, Nov 24, 2017.

1. Jeydis

Jeydis Midnight Gourmand

Boomer
    (Noibat)
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽5,036.7
    Poké Ball ★Trainer Card - Cave Theme
    Hello everyone! Jeydis here again with another themed nuzlocke run. I told myself I would finish my Mysterious Moon run before starting another but I could not resist getting ultra moon when it hit (I toughed out about 2 days.) Also this will be a blind run of Ultra Sun with only very minimal spoilers.

I chose the trainer class myself this time as a bit of a tribute to my late father, an avid motorcycle fan.

Also keeping the starter this time since it suits my types so well.

NOTE: Comments are very welcome!

[​IMG]

PS: I promise to finish the run this time :D

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #1 Nov 24, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2017
  2. Jeydis

Jeydis Midnight Gourmand

Boomer
    (Noibat)
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽5,036.7
    A nice peaceful start so far. Expanded the team a bit, I was very happy to see Inkay around the beach area of route 1. I love cuttlefish ^_^

Here is the team now!
    [​IMG]

3. Jeydis

Jeydis Midnight Gourmand

Boomer
    (Noibat)
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽5,036.7
    Didn't get a whole lot of time to play today sadly but a bit of progress! I beat Ilima pretty nicely with Meowth (thank you technician Fake out!) and did not have to risk anyone too much which was great. Did a bit of leveling around town then went off to Route 2 and made myself a heckin' new friend in Jessy the Ekans!

This run is shaping up to have all of my favorite animals in it. Cats, Snakes, Cuttlefish, good start for sure!

Note: Mesmer is a bit of an all-star right now with her Swagger/Foul play.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Jeydis

Jeydis Midnight Gourmand

Boomer
    (Noibat)
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽5,036.7
    Doing the writing only for now, team sheet update tonight.
    ===================
    I played quite a bit this weekend, lot's of travel time to get to my other geeky activities. I did some leveling on route 2 before facing the Totem Pokémon in the Verdant caverns, went into the caves proper after getting some supplies and cleared out the Yungoos from the place. Grumpy did short work of the team Skull battle. The totem battle itself was not as bad as I expected, I feel like the totem Gumshoos is less aggressive than the totem Raticate I am used to from moon. Started the fight off with Jessy the Ekans to lower it's damage with intimidate and poison it as well. Swapped to Mesmer and tanked with Reflect and foul played the big mongoose down. I return to the caverns to capture myself a Zubat that I nickname Zoomer. Sadly it was not meant to be and Zoomer was KOd shortly after while trying to train him. Typical of my last runs whenever I get a Zubat in the early levels. X_X

Z-crystal in hand I headed out to the upper part of the island and found myself a new buddy in the northern patch of grass. A Mankey that I nicknamed Fury (seems appropriate), side note: I love that Mankeys still don't show a mouth when fed in Pokémon Amie. Finished up the trainers along the route while getting Fury up to level. Now the only trainer left was the Ace trainer on the end of route 3, the Roost enthusiast. Fearing for my team since these "defeat the other trainers on this route" guys are typically a pain in the arse in Moon, I went to Bulbapedia to review his team/levels. Nothing too bad, his Butterfree was a bit scary since I have two team members that cannot take a Silver Wind but I figured Jessy could tank it well enough. Sadly I was wrong, after a tough fight I came out of there with one less friend. Jessy fell to a crit Silver Wind (no boosts) early on, the only reason I did not wipe out right then and there is that the AI seemed to glitch out a bit and just used Roost over and over again (even at full) after that first KO. Against all odds Fury the Mankey took the bad bug down with a long series of Critting Fury Swipes.

The team now gets ready for the biggest challenge yet, the Kahuna fight.

I trained and trained, fearing facing such a big weakness for my team already. Especially with the Fighting Z move looming. Got everyone to about lvl 19 or so, focusing especially on Mesmer since that Reflect will be imperative. I heal up and stock up on potions and head to the village, head held high but hands shaking.

Off to a good start, Machop is dispatched without too much issue fire fanged out by a newly evolved Brimstone. Makuhita takes a bit longer thanks to that HP and Thick Fat, he goes down but I am forced to switch when Crabrawler comes out since Brimstone took multiple Sand Attacks. I bring out Mesmer and take a power up punch, no Z-Power yet. Reflect goes up, just in time to defend against a Z-Powered Power Up punch. Potion up, take another Power up Punch and start to worry. With it's attack upped twice this crab is starting to really hurt. I try to take it down with some Psywave spams but I come up short, Hala uses a Super Potion on Crabrawler and it takes out Mesmer. We are now at 5xAtk from punches and I am super weary of a Team KO. I toss out Brimstone and pray to the RNG gods that I can get a burn off of Fire Fang. I get half my wish and get a flinch. Take another swing and sadly no burn, no flinch. Brimstone goes down in one shot from the beastly crustacean.

Down to two Fury the Mankey and Grumpy the freshly evolved A-Persian (thanks Roto-Loto). Crabrawler is down to about half.

I go for broke and bring in Grumpy. Fake out hits and crits which makes me whoop with joy. He is to about a 1/3 now and I have a speed advantage. I go for broke with a Fury Swipes since Bite get's resisted and I don't dare hope for a flinch. Fury Swipe hits once, twice and crits on the third. Bringing down the monster at last.

The team is down to two but all the major challenges of the first island are done at last. I collect my Z-Crystal as well as other rewards including the Tauros page!

This opens up 2 new potential catches in the Ten Carat area. I chose to split the zone into the cave and the outdoors since the encounter lists are so different for each. I find myself two new friends, a Sableye from the caverns, nicknamed Hel after the Norse Goddess and a Machop in the outdoor area that I call Silva after the famous MMA family.

[​IMG]

#4 Dec 5, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
  5. Jeydis

Jeydis Midnight Gourmand

Boomer
    (Noibat)
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽5,036.7
    *grinding is happening, I have not played much so nothing much to report*

6. Jeydis

Jeydis Midnight Gourmand

Boomer
    (Noibat)
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽5,036.7
    *zombie groan* I have not had much time to play lately but I finished grinding at least!

I sadly lost Sly in my battle against Hau, he was so close to evolution too :/ poor little fuzzball.

Current team:
    > Hel the Sableye lvl. 22
    > Grumpy the A.Persian lvl 21
    > Fury the Mankey lvl 20
    > Silva the Machop lvl 20
    > Chandra the Eevee lvl 1 the future Flareon

Needless to say, fairy types scare me. I reallllly need a poison type but this area of the game is fresh out of those sadly. That is part of the reason that I took the eevee egg. I told myself no gift Pokémon but my goodness this is a long stretch with nothing to catch. Since it is not especially OP or fast growing I decided to make an exception for the egg.

7. Jeydis

Jeydis Midnight Gourmand

Boomer
    (Noibat)
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽5,036.7
    Moved forward a bit to the entrance of Brooklet Hill, clearing out the trainers along the way. Chandra is now level 20 and abusing Work Up quite a bit so that has been fun.

Feeling pretty confident I headed into Brooklet Hill proper, expecting to be able to catch something before the trial like in S/M, sadly I learned they changed the location of the trial gates and no capture can be done before the trial is cleared. I took my chances and headed into the trial. All goes well against the WishiWashi but the first snag occurs when I encounter the pods of Dewpider in the second pond. Since it started raining their bubblebeams are hitting really hard. Attempted to salvage the fight but I still had to take a loss.

RIP Silva the Machop :(

Left the trial area (thank goodness they let you) and I resumed grinding.

Team as it is:
    > Chandra the Eevee lvl. 21
    > Grumpy the APersian lvl. 23
    > Fury the Mankey lvl.22
    > Hel the Sableye lvl. 25

Trying to get my hands on a Crabrawler on Route 5 but the bugger is being elusive.

8. Jeydis

Jeydis Midnight Gourmand

Boomer
    (Noibat)
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽5,036.7
    TIME TRAVEL!!!!

Not really but honestly I cannot backtrack in my feeble mind far enough to detail everything so we are doing a bit of a time skip.

Last accomplishment:
    Just cleared the Grass Trial with surprising ease, thank goodness for x4 resists to that solar blade. Putting Haka and Dazzle to level.

Current Team:

[​IMG]

#8 May 9, 2018
    Last edited: May 9, 2018
  9. Jeydis

Jeydis Midnight Gourmand

Boomer
    (Noibat)
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽5,036.7
    Still grinding for the Rock trial, not taking any chances on a Kahuna trial, I recall how it went on my last nuzlocke.

Olivia fight went off without a hitch! Oddly enough she never dropped her Z move so that helped. Next stop, the beach!

[​IMG]

#9 Aug 9, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2018
  10. LostSpirit

Odd-ish
    (Oddish (J))
    Level 21
    PokéPoints:
    ₽995.7
    Woah when did you get a shiny caterpie? Also, the graveyard tho.

I really like the way you formatted the team sheet. Both the sheet and the team look really good!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  11. Jeydis

Jeydis Midnight Gourmand

Boomer
    (Noibat)
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽5,036.7
    Yeah it has been a rough run, played during very distracted periods which made the graveyard quite full. Got the caterpie right before the Water trial when I was SOS training on them. Very cute trophy mon.

Thank you for posting, really helps motivate me to keep going if people are having a look. Glad you like the template! Took a while to settle on a design I liked for the boxes and placement.

LostSpirit likes this.
  12. Jeydis

Jeydis Midnight Gourmand

Boomer
    (Noibat)
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽5,036.7
    Extracting this post from the grave, I really want to be done with this run by the time the new game comes out.

So status update is pretty minimal for now, getting back in the swing of things and evening out everyone's levels.

EDIT: Ended up playing more than expected this evening so here is a new sheet! Got three catches, a Pancham (Slash) , a Trubbish (Butch) and an Ariados (Blight). So rotating them now to level them. Also did a correction since it seems I didnt save when I caught that Stufful many months ago! Went back to that road and caught an Ariados instead.

[​IMG]

#12 Mar 8, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2019
  13. Rezna

Rezna Every Day's Great at Your Junes!

Why do eggs break ffree
    (Groudon Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽35.7
    Thunder Stone ★★★Water Stone ★★★Dawn Stone ★★★★Cooler Gary Oak ★★★★★Legendary Triforce ★★
    This is interesting, I may just watch this thread to see how far you go.

14. HiddenLore

Time Master
    (Dialga Egg)
    Level 36
    PokéPoints:
    ₽11,746.6
    Crown of ValorPoké Ball ★Root Fossil ★★★Beedrillite ★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★
    It's always so hard to lose a starter. (I know that was forever ago, but I'm just reading through this.) I did a blindlocke of X when it first came out, and it took me a while to forgive the brains and brawn trainer duo for killing my Quiladin.
    I hope you keep on going. These types of run can be difficult but they are fun to use to explore new Pokémon.

15. Jeydis

Jeydis Midnight Gourmand

Boomer
    (Noibat)
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽5,036.7
    The journey continues! Had a few more losses, the types for this run get me in a bind at times, strong water types are a problem as well as earthquakes. Now I am prepping for the ghost trial and I am worried to say the least. Totem Mimikyu was a terror back in my last Moon nuzlocke and I hear it's even stronger now...

*gulp*

I really wish I had gotten lucky on my Salandit capture, I could really use a special attacker with the speed to back it up.

[​IMG]

16. Jeydis

Jeydis Midnight Gourmand

Boomer
    (Noibat)
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽5,036.7
    I have grown more used to it but it still sucks, especially when it's a fire type since there are normally very few of those in a run. Lots of losses but still keeping my chin up on this one. I am enjoying feeling a bit more like a Team Skull grunt, heh.

17. Jeydis

Jeydis Midnight Gourmand

Boomer
    (Noibat)
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽5,036.7
    Things are taking a turn for drama. I have lost team members to both Totem Mimikyu and Boss Guzma, not even his fearsome Golisopod...I got swept by his Masquerain of all things!
    Got the Dark Z-Crystal after defeating Nanu (thankfully he was much easier than the other two.)

So the team is now down to 3 that are leveled and a mascot Salandit that cannot evolve or do a whole lot to help. Yikes! I am leveling now to go after the Aether paradise and weighing my options. This is where you guys come in! I have added a poll to the first post to get your opinion on the island scan Pokémon for a Nuzlocke run like this. Let me know what you think!

The survivors:
    Retsuko the Bewear
    [​IMG]
    Lvl. 47
    - Hammer Arm
    - Shadow Claw
    - Thrash (used only when farming weak things, too risky otherwise)
    - Bulldoze

Dread the Toxapex

[​IMG]
    Lvl. 45
    - Bite
    - Baneful Bunker
    - Venoshock
    - Recover

Ark the Bisharp
    [​IMG]
    Lvl. 46
    - Metal Claw
    - Aerial Ace
    - Assurance
    - X-Scissor

(Proper team image to be added tonight when I am back on my PC.)

#17 Mar 21, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2019
    Bug likes this.
  18. Bug

Bug Hiker

Kaen
    (Rayquaza Egg)
    Level 20
    PokéPoints:
    ₽185.4
    Ouch, Nuzlocking the Ultra games is really rough. I tried to do it blind when it came out, and was blindsided constantly. I commend your persistence.

Also the graphics are super neat. Are you using Nuzlocke Generator, perhaps? Like it looks kind of similar, but also not really.

Above all, for the next leg of the run, Grind Like Hell. You can do it!

19. Jeydis

Jeydis Midnight Gourmand

Boomer
    (Noibat)
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽5,036.7
    @Bug
    Yeah it has been one of the hardest runs yet. The level limitations makes this tougher than my previous runs and some of the changes from S/M are particularly harsh (totem Pokémon get a lot better namingly)

Thanks for the compliment on the graphics! I got the interface as a template with all the little divisions and plates but I added the background, labels, crystals and chose the color palettes and all that. Here is the original blanked template if you are interested!
    https://imgur.com/EyRQJSR

And I will! Got the main 3 up to level pretty much now, setting up Nux next which will take a bit but I might as well get the little cutie caught up. Salandit is my favorite design of this gen after all (just wish they didn't go all in with the female evolution thing)

Updated team fiche!

[​IMG]

#19 Mar 22, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2019
    Bug likes this.
  20. Vigilance

Vigilance once here, now gone

Fletchling
    (Fletchling)
    Level 54
    PokéPoints:
    ₽404.2
    Master BallGold Bottle Cap ★★★★★Mewnium Z  ★★★★★Beast Ball ★★★★Staff of Verity
    Hi @Jeydis, just letting you know, I check this daily and holy crap man, this is so engaging! I personally love the team sheets and how you present your journey as well! Please keep posting!