1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Unpopular Opinions: Character Edition.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Gazi, Jul 5, 2021.

1. Gazi

Lilith
    (Litleo ♀)
    Level 9
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,871.2
    Dawn Stone ★★★★Legendary Triforce ★★Reaper Cloth ★★★
    Just a fun place to express any unpopular opinions you may have about characters. Please no bashing others for their unpopular opinions.

Of course, I'll start. I don't like Catra from She-ra and the Princesses of Power...at all. She's a tragic character, but her tough past shouldn't excuse her for her absolutely toxic behavior. I know she's a fan favorite, but I just can't stand her. Same goes for Cassandra from Rapunzel's Tangled Adventure.

Another unpopular character opinion, a more positive one this time, is that I adore Percy Weasley...which is ironic because in some ways he's really similar to both Catra and Cassandra.

2. Darcy

Darcy Strongest Blade in Valor

Eurydice
    (Brione)
    Level 21
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,068.1
    Philosopher's CowlPsychium Z ★★★★Gardevoirite ★★★★Galladite ★★★★Heart Scale ★★
    I don't know how unpopular an opinion this is, especially now that I think X and Y have come into better graces recently, but I'll say it anyway. I think the friend rivals from the newer Pokémon games are fine.

I'm specifically talking about your friend group in Pokémon X and Y, but this for SM and SwSh as well. I thought having Serena/Calem being your rival was a cool idea, and if you want to count them I thought Tierno and Trevor were decent with some funny moments. I actually really liked Shauna and thought she was sweet. I didn't really find them annoying.

Similarly, I like Hau and Hop a fair bit. I think Hop is the best iteration of a friend rival (in terms of being a decent character) we've had in a while, he kind of carried the main cast of SwSh in my opinion (not that he had a lot of competition with Bede amounting to nothing and Leon being very one-note).

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Wizard

Wizard Do you feel it? The moon's power!

Cupidueye
    (Decidueye (Cupid))
    Level 113
    PokéPoints:
    ₽9,410.7
    I don't think I hold too many hot takes when it comes to individual characters. I'll bite though, maybe some of my opinions are unpopular.

This isn't a specific character opinion, but I believe the most important quality a character can have is likability. If a character is nuanced or interesting, that's neat, but I want to like their personality more than anything (see Edelgard Fire Emblem). Likability is super hard to define and is super subjective. For example, Zuko from ATLA is a nuanced character, but he also holds a lot of likability for me because he is awkward, funny, and ultra determined (this may be the least controversial statement ever made tbh).

Bakugo(u) from the MHA anime is a terrible character and isn't redeemed by his better moments. The kid gives me no good reason to like him. I have liked characters in the past that are somewhat similar to him, but they often carry some sort of charisma about themselves. Bakugo(u) is a bully and a jerk. No thanks! *I have not seen anything from the newest season yet*

The best characters in fiction are often the father figure/mentor of the group. Dunban from Xenoblade Chronicles, Sojiro from Persona 5, Iroh from ATLA, Finn from Fire Emblem Thracia 776, etc.

Perhaps I'll edit this later to include a greater number of specific character stances. We'll see.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Neb

Neb Cosmog Enthusiast

AZ
    (Flabébé (O))
    Level 12
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,240.2
    GS Ball ★★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★Poké Ball ★Potion ★Oran Berry ★★
    I don’t have that many, but here goes.

I am mixed on Yosuke from Persona 4. He’s both absolutely insufferable and yet completely loyal to the protagonist. This mixture makes me unable to pick a side of the debate on whether or not he’s a good character.

Navi isn’t that annoying. Usually she only bothers the player when you first boot up the game or when you spend a lot of time off the beaten path. She’s there to remind you on what to do. For players who take long breaks from games, she’s a helpful guide.

5. Jeydis

Jeydis J̷̉͐O̵̔̏Ǐ̶͝N̵̒̍ ̷͚̇Ǘ̸̂S̴͘

Boomer
    (Noibat)
    Level 6
    PokéPoints:
    ₽5,293.6
    Poké Ball ★Trainer Card - Cave Theme
    I kind of agree though I wish they wouldnt of nerfed Tierno and Trevor's teams into the ground. I get that they are supposed to be easier but man a Petal dance only Roserade for the last fight is so crap lol.

I like the balance in Sword and Shield of having one bastard and one good buddy.

Lets see unpopular character opinions...
    I actually really dislike the Shinji from Evangelion. His character is a big blah and cumulates in an even bigger blah. To be fair I only watched the original anime run and hated the second half so that didnt help. Dont really intend on watching anything else even if my other anime buddies rave about it. The animation (where there was some, lol at the elevator scene) was great though.

6. Katanaeyegaming

Katanaeyegaming #FEARTHEWYVERN

Darklit
    (Liepard)
    Level 44
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,810.3
    Poké Ball ★Potion ★Oran Berry ★★Thunder Stone ★★★Helix Fossil ★★★
    This entire post will be anime opinions

Just about every MHA character. If they aren't shit from the get go they are ruined and if they aren't they don't get anywhere near enough screen time.

I like Shao Tucker in FMA. He's terrible for the things he did but I feel that was what it was meant to boil down to and he is for sure one of the best written villains just for that.

Saitama is just as boring to watch as he feels about his fights. One punch man is an ok concept but Saitama doesn't cut it for me.

Takashi from HOTD is a dense dumbass who should have died several times in that show but didn't and looking back it infuriates me that he is the MC.

Jougo from Jujutsu Kaisen. I loved this man getting his head kicked out like a football. My least favorite of the antagonists in JJK.

7. RadEmpoleon

RadEmpoleon certified EPIC Gamer™

Bondo
    (Sobble)
    Level 11
    PokéPoints:
    ₽4,124.8
    Comet Shard ★★★★Poké Doll ★★
    I'll just list off a few random ones I can think of (mostly anime characters):

-Apparently I'm one of the few people who doesn't hate Dippy Fresh from Gravity Falls. I remember commenting on Wattpad saying "Am I the only one who likes Dippy Fresh?" and years later I was still getting replies saying yes I am. I guess people thought he was annoying but I thought he was good comedic relief.
    -Toji from JJK. I haven't read the manga yet, but a lot of JJK fan art shows up on my pinterest feed and that's the only reason why I know who this character is. And on any art piece of him, there are always dirty comments from those thirsty simps (like calling him daddy, and not because he's Megumi's father) and these people have scared me from ever liking him. I don't care what he does, but I will never like him.
    -The same goes for Sukuna (also from JJK) except I know who that is. The thirsty simps have scared me away from liking him too. Honestly, what do y'all see in him? I don't get it. Itadori is way better--
    -I'm not a fan of the "mean/angsty bully to the main character" character type- this being characters like Bakugo (MHA), Tsukishima (Haikyuu), Yurio (YoI), Pacifica (Gravity Falls), etc. (Coincidentally, all these characters I just listed have blond hair oop-) The writers always try to give them character development to make them less irritable, which I appreciate, but no amount of character development will make me see them as anything other than the bully character.
    -I actually don't mind Zenitsu (Demon Slayer) and Takemichi (Tokyo Revengers). Are they my favorite characters? Definitely not, but I don't hate them either. I don't mind that they are the "crybaby" characters. I happen to be a crybaby myself, so I can sympathize with them. But yes, I recognize that they can both get too over-the-top (especially the first character I mentioned) and after a while it does start to bother me too.
    -I fxcking hate Light (Death Note). I generally like the protagonist characters, and rarely do I find one just decent, but I genuinely hate him. It makes it hard for me to try to convince myself to keep watching. I don't agree with his mentality to kill off all the evil people in the world to create a new pure world, because inevitably there will be evil that comes from the good. Also I don't like the way he keeps sneaking around the police forces. He's literally lying to his father who's on the police force. I hope he gets caught or dies.
    -Hisoka (HxH). I have three rant videos on my Youtube channel (shameless plug!) about how much I hate him. I'm sorry, but there's no excusing pxdophilia whatsoever. That's absolutely disgusting. I got uncomfy vibes from him from the get-go, but they just got worse as he showed up more. Thank goodness he hasn't been in the arc I'm watching now. And again, what do you simps see in him? Y'all really simping over this clown looking bitch? And you're perfectly fine with the fact that he's a pxdo? I've heard people try to defend him saying he's only interested in Gon because he's a "strong opponent" and he just wants to "fight strong opponents", but I call BS on that argument.

#7 Apr 21, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2022