1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Valor Battle Feedback/Ideas & Questions

Discussion in 'Valor Archive' started by Achromatic, Mar 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ClefairyKid

ClefairyKid (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻)

PokéPoints:
    ₽854.6
    Psychium Z ★★★★Poké Doll ★★Waterium Z ★★★★Ice Stone ★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★
    Question: do we need to keep a count of our completed battles towards the rewards tiers ourselves or is there a site counter that will do so automatically?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Achromatic

Achromatic #TeamMagikarp

Eevee (KS)
    (Eevee (KS))
    Level 17
    PokéPoints:
    ₽700.5
    Deep Sea Scale ★★★Deep Sea Tooth ★★★Star Piece ★★★★Rage Candy Bar ★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★
    You'll need to keep count.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. CharlieWeasleyfan

Shiny Roggenrola
    (Roggenrola)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽201.2
    Trainer Card - Cave ThemeRocky Helmet ★★★★★Staff of VerityExp. Share ★★
    Okay is there a set amount of days without response that the battles can wait or is it just free for all? So basically can people get disqualified for taking too long? Or is it just wait them out?

4. Vigilance

Vigilance once here, now gone

Fletchling
    (Fletchling)
    Level 54
    PokéPoints:
    ₽404.2
    Master BallGold Bottle Cap ★★★★★Mewnium Z  ★★★★★Beast Ball ★★★★Staff of Verity
    I'd say give them a fair amount of time, they might be busy. Anything past the 3 day mark, maybe ping them as a reminder on the battle page and if no response still, let a Valor Battle Judge know and they will be disqualified!

5. CharlieWeasleyfan

Shiny Roggenrola
    (Roggenrola)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽201.2
    Trainer Card - Cave ThemeRocky Helmet ★★★★★Staff of VerityExp. Share ★★
    Okay thanks I've been waiting for a few days so I wasn't sure

Vigilance likes this.
  6. Arc1Dragon

Arc1Dragon Just Monika

Kyurem Egg
    (Kyurem Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽878.9
    Crown of ValorPhilosopher's CowlStaff of VerityTapunium Z ★★★★★Decidium Z ★★★★★
    Since the Nintendo treasures don't have stars are they unusable in Valor Battles?

7. Achromatic

Achromatic #TeamMagikarp

Eevee (KS)
    (Eevee (KS))
    Level 17
    PokéPoints:
    ₽700.5
    Deep Sea Scale ★★★Deep Sea Tooth ★★★Star Piece ★★★★Rage Candy Bar ★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★
    Yes, they have no effect.

8. Auric

Auric Platinum Addict

Another one!!??!
    (Azelf)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽35.6
    Black Glasses ★★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★Poké Ball ★Soda Pop ★Oran Berry ★★
    How much pp does a mewtwo have?

9. Morgaine

Morgaine Goddess of Shinies

Bolero
    (Litleo ♀)
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽5.7
    Crown of ValorSoothe Bell ★Heart Scale ★★Ice Stone ★★★★
    Mewtwo is a Single type Legendary Pokémon. He has 25 HP, and all the Psychic attacks to his disposal.

Attacks can be looked up here.

10. Auric

Auric Platinum Addict

Another one!!??!
    (Azelf)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽35.6
    Black Glasses ★★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★Poké Ball ★Soda Pop ★Oran Berry ★★
    That did not answer my question.

11. Morgaine

Bolero
    (Litleo ♀)
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽5.7
    Actually, it did, seeing as the PP is tied to the amount of attacks a Pokémon has to its disposal. Dual-type have more than Single type Pokémon. In Mewtwo's case, it is the Psychic-type attacks that are specified in the link that I gave you. Please go and check that link.

12. Aewynessa

Pidgey
    (Pidgey)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽219.4
    Staff of VerityCrown of ValorBig Nugget ★★★★★
    After reading through this topic and several LV battles, I have garnered that the main issues of LVB seem to be the predictability of the matches, the advantage dual types have over single types, and battle length. I have given the issues some thought, and I believe I have reached a series of solutions that may resolve, or at least alleviate, these issues. Do note that what I will be saying are only suggestions and can be accepted or disregarded at the reader's discretion.

Issue #1: Match Predictability

Many matches at LV, especially 1v1 battles, have boiled down to who chooses the better Pokémon and/or who receives the first move. Dual types factor into this, but I'll be addressing them later.

The root of this problem extends from the fact that the Pokémon attacking will assuredly land its attack. This attribute in battles is what makes them fall into monotony quickly. The battle becomes a mere exchange of blows. Here's an analogy for what I am describing: two knights stand opposed on a battlefield. They have their swords drawn and slash at each other in turn, but neither moves to dodge the enemy's blows.

To this end, I have arrived at a simple solution: unpredictability. Unpredictability is the most effective way to liven this format of battling. With unpredictability, victory is no longer foreseeable from the outset. One who thinks they will win may lose, and one who thinks that they have no hope may emerge victorious.

In my solution, unpredictability comes twofold. The first alteration is adding accuracy to Pokémon's moves based on the moves' power. The moves that have the most power would have the least accuracy, and the moves that have the least power would have the most accuracy.

In order to implement this system effectively, LVB would need to add the die into the repertoire of battle tools. A simple roll of the die would decide whether or not a move would hit. Below, I have outlined a rudimentary determination of how the die would tie in with move accuracy:

Moves that deal 2 damage: Must roll a 2 or higher (83% chance of hit)
    Moves that deal 4 damage: Must roll a 3 or higher (66% chance of hit)
    Moves that deal 6 damage: Must roll a 4 or higher (50% chance of hit)

While this system is by no means perfect, it offers a rough balance between power and accuracy. Moves that only hit for 2 damage would have actual competitive viability. Battlers would think more carefully about when to use their strong attacks. Furthermore, this change would make items more viable. For example, if one battler missed a move, the other could either use an item, press his or her advantage, or recover from a disadvantage. Using an item would be less of a sacrifice and more of a gain. This change would also level the playing field more with dual type and Legendary Pokémon since even they are all subject to this arbitration.

The second alteration would be to add a priority move. Once every battle, a battler may decide to use a priority move, which occurs in between turns. The battle judge would then flip a coin. If the outcome is heads, then the attack hits for a scaled damage based on the size of the battle. If the outcome is tails, the attack misses, and their is no further penalization.

1v1 battle: Priority move deals 1 damage upon contact.
    3v3 battle: Priority move deals 3 damage upon contact.
    6v6 battle: Priority move deals 5 damage upon contact.

Essentially, the priority move acts much like Z-moves in Pokémon Sun and Moon, but they can be used at any time and do not affect the turn order. The above list is only a conjecture; the damage outputs may need to be adjusted based on how powerful or weak the priority moves are in practical application.

Issue #2: Dual Types Having an Advantage over Single Types

In the current system, nearly every fight appears to be biased toward dual type Pokémon. They have a twice the PP and increased type coverage than single type Pokémon. Single type Pokémon are therefore less desirable in the metagame (unless said Pokémon is a Legendary--however, it still has a restricted move pool in comparison), which unnecessarily unbalances LVB, considering that dual types are just as readily available as single types.

Therefore, I propose that each Pokémon, regardless of the number of types it possesses, has only one PP movepool. Each Pokémon can only use one 6-damage attack per match, 3 4-power damage attacks, and 5 2-power damage attacks. Each move used removes one from the total PP counter, regardless of which type it is. For example, a Roserade, which is a Grass and Poison type, would only get to use one Solarbeam or one Gunk Shot per match. That same Roserade could also use three Razor Leaves, two Razor Leaves and one Sludge Bomb, one Razor Leaf and two Sludge Bombs, or no Razor Leaves and three Sludge Bombs. The same follows for the 5 PP Grass and Poison moves.

This balancing would eliminate the unfair PP edge that a dual type Pokémon has over a single type Pokémon. No longer would a dual type be able to take down over half the opponent's health in two turns without the use of items. They would instead be constricted with the same move limitations as a single type Pokémon.

Unfortunately, this solution does not completely eradicate the edge dual type Pokémon have over single type Pokémon because of the fact that dual types can fit into more situations that single types. However, this is simply due to the very nature of dual type Pokémon having two types, and there is little that can be done to account for that nature other than remove dual types entirely.

Issue #3: The Longevity of Battles

This issue is perhaps the most difficult to resolve as it results from the style in which LVB is conducted. Plays have to be typed out in posts that show all the hit points, power points, item turns, and other effects remaining or enacted at that point in the battle, which does take some effort and time. Not only that, but battlers participate in LVB in their spare time, meaning that some battles progress at a slower pace than one or both parties would enjoy. Usually, the parties involved would work around any problems that should arise and continue the battle at whatever pace both can manage.

One solution is that battles could be pushed onto another server such as Discord. While the push could technically speed up the pace of the battles, the shift would render the entire LVB forum inert, which discards the entire purpose of having LVB in the first place. This approach could be considered but only in regards to its full implications.

The only problem in this category that can be adequately addressed is battles where one party does not continue the fight for a prolonged period of time without posting any reason as to his or her absence. In this scenario, implementing a reminder system would be effective at determining the interest level of said absent party in the continuation of the battle. After three days have passed since the last update, the battle judge or still-active battler could PM or otherwise contact the absent battler, asking if said battler is interested in continuing the battler. If said battler does not respond within another two days, then it can be safely assumed that the battler has no interest in continuing the battle, and the battle can be terminated on the grounds that the absent battler has forfeited. Similarly, if the absent battler expresses interest in continuing by providing reasons as to their absence, then the battle can continue for however long both parties wish it to continue.

Obviously, this solution is very case-by-case in its application. It is truly up to the wishes of both parties involved to decide the outcome of their battle. It should be noted, however, that it is common courtesy to inform the other party of any extended absence out of respect for that other party's time and interest.

Side Notes

While these solutions aim to resolve as much as the proposed issues as they could, there are a few items that should be noted about the solutions. A die will be required into order to enact the chance system, but many online die applications can be found online, making this change very easy to add.

The proposed changes do not add more depth to move variety. Such ideas as status ailments and other move effects could be added to LVB. However, with the addition of move accuracies and priority moves, another layer of complexity might be piling too much onto what should be a relatively simple game. After all, the goal of these changes is to add more fun to LVB while keeping it as simple as possible.

The length of battles' issue's solution could not completely address the issue. Again, this is due largely in part to the issue stemming from the players themselves and not LVB. The solution merely suggests adding a gentle reminder system and does not have to be used at all.

As a side effect of the accuracy system, attacks will hit less often. Items could be adjusted to heal PP, which would be in higher demand. A perfect item to adjust to accomplish this purpose would be Ethers and Elixirs. However, much like how the attacks should be balanced, items should as well. It would not make much sense for one item to completely heal all of one Pokémon's PP; one or two PP of a weak or medium-strong attack might be satisfactory enough. Not only could Ethers and Elixirs be adjusted, but other items could be changed as well. Again, the goal is to keep LVB simple and fun, so please bear that in mind.

--=+-+=--
    In conclusion, I hope that these solutions spur some thought about LVB and its issues. The point of these suggestions was not to derogatorily point out LVB's flaws and criticize them. Instead, I wrote these with the intention of making something good even better. I wish for LVB to continue to grow, and I believe that these suggestions will help it do just that.

Thank you for taking your time to read this post. I sincerely appreciate it.

#32 Jul 4, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2017
    Vigilance, Mandriel and Apawn like this.
  13. Apawn

Apawn Modern Gen 2 Artist

Nosejob
    (Nosepass)
    Level 49
    PokéPoints:
    ₽360.7
    Shiny QuilavaQuilava

I think there needs to be 1 major fix for the new Catchér system

Accurate HP- A larger variety of HP Stats as such (Though not final):

Baby Pokémon - 20
    Basic Pokémon - 22
    Stage 1 Pokémon - 25
    Basic-Non-Evolving-Pokémon - 26
    Stage 2 Pokémon - 28
    (>680 BST)Legendary/Pesudo - 30
    Any Other Legendary - 32

It encourages Leveling up and Evolving mons as well as hatching eggs as well as make much more of a "meta"

Thoughts?

Butternut and Cadbberry like this.
  14. POKE

POKE Ace Trainer

Johnny Waffles
    (Moltres Egg)
    Level 14
    PokéPoints:
    ₽111.3
    Premier Ball ★
    I have a suggestion - when you press to watch, "find a battle" for updates, could you add a system to the updates of a new message which will tell you if it's a new scrap sheet for the rules of a new possible challenger and to tell if others are being challenged (more preferably I would say if you are challenged)

15. Geroniny

Geroniny The Spacecraft Of Miracle

Azure
    (Kyogre)
    Level 34
    PokéPoints:
    ₽771.9
    Dawn Stone ★★★★Blue Orb ★★★★★Charizardite X ★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★Star Piece ★★★★
    During A Battle In Valor Battle,There Will Audiences(Or Members) Cheering The Participants-Like During A Pokémon Battle During A Tournament In Pokémon Anime.

16. Vigilance

Fletchling
    (Fletchling)
    Level 54
    PokéPoints:
    ₽404.2
    This isn't really possible at all. At most, members could "cheer" for your battles by posting a good luck statement in the thread but even then.

17. Hraesvelgr

Hraesvelgr Snek in Your Boot

Zapdos Egg
    (Zapdos Egg)
    Level 21
    PokéPoints:
    ₽12,008.7
    Trainer Card - Cave ThemeDragon Fang ★★★★Philosopher's CowlWater Stone ★★★Great Ball ★★
    Posting in the battle topics to cheer someone on would create necessary clutter, making it harder for both judges and participants to keep track of what's going on.

18. Vigilance

Fletchling
    (Fletchling)
    Level 54
    PokéPoints:
    ₽404.2
    I think that's a reasonable request. I'll discuss with the staff team and get back to you soon. Thank you!
    So you want to know whether the notifications you are getting have you being challenged? The only way for that is if someone tags you in their challenge or quotes your post.

Apawn likes this.
  19. Rezna

Rezna Every Day's Great at Your Junes!

Why do eggs break ffree
    (Groudon Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽35.7
    Thunder Stone ★★★Water Stone ★★★Dawn Stone ★★★★Cooler Gary Oak ★★★★★Legendary Triforce ★★
    I just want to know what moves my Pokémon would have. Hint: Lv. 9 Bulbasaur

20. Morgaine

Bolero
    (Litleo ♀)
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽5.7
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.