1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

(VGC2015) The biggest vote thread ever, help me decide my replacement for M-Gallade!

Discussion in 'Festival Plaza' started by sohrob101, Jan 11, 2015.

?

What is your choice? Make sure to leave a post explaining why.

1. M-Manetric

5 vote(s)
    38.5%
  2. M-Lucario

5 vote(s)
    38.5%
  3. Greninja

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. M-Venusaur

3 vote(s)
    23.1%
  5. M-Metagross+Salamence

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sohrob101

sohrob101 Destiny Draw!

PokéPoints:
    ₽80.7
    Hello and welcome LV members. I have come to you all today, to ask for your help. VGC 2015 started this month, and i finally entered my first tournament. This was the team that I had (Don't worry ill explain the roles soon)
    (UPDATE!: It has come to my attention that Noivern seems to not have much synergy with the team, and will be replaced it with a Salamence, so the Metagross Salamence, combo will still stay there, but no matter what choice you choose, Noivern will be replaced with Salamence)​
    [​IMG]
    Regirock/Ragnarock @ Assault Vest
    Ability: Clear Body

Level: 50
    Shiny: Yes
    EVs: 80 HP / 252 Atk / 178 SpD
    Adamant Nature
    - Drain Punch
    - Earthquake
    - Rock Slide
    - Ice Punch

Description
    First things first, lets not get judging and saying things like "REGIROCK? WHAT?! WHAT?! WHAT?!" let's get something clear here (no pun intended lol). Last year in 2014 my ace star player was a Zoroark. Zoroark actually pulled pretty well for me, so this year i wanted to pick another Pokémon that's my favorite, so i decided what other than to pick Regirock. it's bulk really helps it, and the assualt vest makes sure that Regirock can't get OHKOed. Regirock even pulled off a clutch for me, surviving a Landorus-T earthquake, and a +2 kangaskhan sucker punch. i got really lucky at like 3 HP too. The 2 main things that Regirock does on this team, is take hits, and doesn't need to worry about intimidate.
    [​IMG]
    Gallade-Mega @ Galladite
    Ability: Inner Focus

Level: 50
    Shiny: Yes
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
    Jolly Nature
    - Psycho Cut
    - Close Combat
    - Shadow Sneak
    - Protect

Description
    M-Gallade was going to be my second Ace, but unfortunately after going to my first tournament, I can see it just wasn't worth my time. I tried to make this thing work, i really did, but it just didn't help me that much. Intimidate caused problems, got outsmarted in terms of predicting, and even if i did get a hit it did minimal damage. In fact it's M-Gallade being the cause of this post. Remember folks, we are trying to replace this Pokémon.

[​IMG]
    Heatran @ Shuca Berry
    Ability: Flash Fire
    EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
    Modest Nature
    - Heat Wave
    - Earth Power
    - Flash Cannon
    - Protect

Description
    Heatran came in as my next Pokémon for two main reasons. One reason being it is meant to be a check for fairies/resistance for fairies. The second reason being, it's for fire type coverage, and can take advantage of Charizard-Y's. it hasn't failed me yet, and so far has been pretty solid. I have heard from some people that i should drop flash cannon, but i want to ask if you guys do have something that can replace flash cannon, please suggest below as well.
    [​IMG]
    Rotom-Wash @ Sitrus Berry
    Ability: Levitate

EVs: 236 HP / 12 SpA / 252 SpD / 8 Spe
    Calm Nature
    - Electroweb
    - Hydro Pump
    - Will-O-Wisp
    - Protect

Description
    Rotom-W is coming back, this is the same one I used last year, ONLY this time it has the new tutor move, electroweb. Think of icy wind, only this wont be touching any ground types. I have found it to be a game changer, and it has saved my life many times. I'm going to keep electro web for one more tournament, and if it seems to start failing me, i'm going back to thunderbolt. This is pretty much your standard Rotom-W.

[​IMG]
    Whimsicott @ Focus Sash
    Ability: Prankster
    EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 Spe

Timid Nature
    - Encore
    - Taunt
    - Tailwind
    - Moonblast

Description
    OMG, Whimsicott made me doubt it so much, i did not think this Pokémon would have done so much work. Whimsicott not only saved me games, it caused so much troll and stall every game. I leaded with Whimsicott 90% of the time, and by far it never failed me. When it's about to die, i setup tailwind. Usually my first turn consists of taunt, or moonblast. It's usually the second turn where i decide if i want to taunt, encore, or tailwind. Either way, Whimsicott does its work, and is always welcome to stay on my team.
    [​IMG]
    Noivern @ Life Orb
    Ability: Infiltrator

EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
    Timid Nature
    - Air Slash
    - Dragon Pulse
    - Heat Wave
    - Protect

Description
    Noivern was meant for pretty much getting rid of all the speedy dragons. In fact funny story, thanks to the stupid damage calcs not being able to tell if a move is legal or not on that Pokémon, i spent a good hour trying to see ice beams power on Noivern. I want you guys to know something, if Noivern had Ice beam, it would be by far an amazing dragon type Pokémon. it would almost outclass mega mence, that is amazing. Either way Noivern did fairly well, i do wish i could have used it more often, but it never really failed as it was able to do some fair amounts of damage.

Anyways this summarizes the team i used for my first tournament and how they faired. But now it's time to move on to the next tournament. Here is what needs to change and I need your help. M-Gallade was the number 1 contendor for being the most useless on the team. It never was able to help, and I only blamed my bad predicting 2 times, but even when i did predict, M-Gallade just didn't do the amount of damage I needed. it almost got me to lose games, but I still got far even with it on my team. So today i give you options for Pokémon that can replace M-Gallade and still give my team Synergy. I won't be making a Poll because here is what I want you guys to do. I want you to vote by posting, you can vote up to 2 times, and each time has to be a different vote. Your votes can only be in one post. What I want you guys to do, is vote for what Pokémon/Combo you like, and why. This is essential, if you don't explain why you think that specific Pokémon works, or explain how it can help me, then i will most likely ignore your vote, and move on. The votes will guide my decision, but will not make my final decision, in the end its your reasoning that has to convince me that what Pokémon works and why. If you have a suggestion that isn't on the list, you can PM me your idea, and I will consider posting it up here for vote and discussion. Anyways lets move on to your choices.

+______________________________________________________________________________________+
    [​IMG]
    Manectric-Mega @ Manectite
    Ability: Intimidate

Timid Nature
    - Volt Switch/Thunderbolt
    - Hidden Power [Ice]
    - Flamethrower/Overheat/Snarl
    - Protect
    Description
    OK so first choice is M-Manectric, i sort of felt that this Pokémon overall could work, as it has a lot of good coverage, can deal with a lot of problems I am having, and is extremely fast, which lets me not worry about parahax. Hidden Power Ice, because ground types need to be dead, plus this also helps against M-Mence. Thunderbolt works, but so does Volt Switch, I was thinking that Volt Switch can help me get away on time, and still deal some nice damage, though it would need some practise and can be risky. Flamethrower would be my best option and choice, but thats because I am a paranoid trainer, and i honestly do not like moves that would decrease my Sp.Atk or Atk stat. I only say this cause i can easily be punished if I mess up even one prediction with a move like Overheat. Now then there is Snarl, something I didn't know Manetric can learn. I wondered about it and Snarl honestly isn't terrible. It covers both Pokémon on the field, and can bring down their special attack stat. First thing that came to mind was I can use this against a Cresselia, if you guys think it's worth putting Snarl, please do ask. Also finally no Mega is without it's first turn protect haha.

[​IMG]
    Lucario-Mega @ Lucarionite
    Ability: Adaptability

Jolly Nature
    - Close Combat
    - Bullet Punch/Iron Tail
    - Earthquake/Rock Slide
    - Protect

OR

Lucario-Mega @ Lucarionite
    Ability: Adaptability
    EVs: 4 Atk / 252 Sp.Atk / 252 Spe (Stats may vary from final results)
    Jolly Nature
    - Aura Sphere
    - Flash Cannon/bullet punch
    - Earthquake/rock slide/ Water pulse/Hidden power Ice
    - Protect

Description
    Lucario comes in two sets that I feel can work. The first set is an average Physical only set, not much here to choose from, The second set though is a mixed set, where Lucario uses a mix of physical and special attacks. The second set can deem useful if I run into an Intimidate problem, and having that fighting and steel coverage can really help me. Water pulse is there only to cover a few fire types, and Landorus-T's but I can still use some other nice moves to accommodate this Lucario. Hidden Power Ice could also work very well, and doesn't seem that bad of an idea tbh. Again Lucario has two options that we can work with here.
    [​IMG]
    Greninja @ Life Orb
    Ability: Protean

Jolly Nature
    - Waterfall
    - Gunk Shot
    - Low Kick
    - Smackdown/ice punch/shadow sneak/U-turn/Night Slash/Protect

OR
    Greninja @ Life Orb/Expert belt/
    Ability: Protean
    Timid Nature
    - Scald/Hydro Pump
    - Dark Pulse
    - Ice Beam
    - Grass Knot/Extrasensory/protect

Description
    Greninja has been seen to be used a lot this time around, but can you really blame the ninja frog? My first set consists of an UNEXPECTED physical set, yea intimidate might cut me down a bit, but that life orb still allows greninja to do some hefty damage. The second set is an average special set, not much I can say there. Now the reason the first set has a lot of the options on the bottom is only because each move fits a nice scenerio. Smackdown to stop levitators and flying types, ice punch for coverage, shadow sneak for priority coverage, U-turn for getting out safe when necessary, night slash for ghost and psychic types, and finally protect, to stall and outpredict. Greninja overall has many options when becoming a physical attacker. Also for those who wonder about the item, if Greninja does get the life orb, noivern will get either choice specs, or expert belt so just and FYI there.

[​IMG]
    Venusaur-Mega @ Venusaurite
    Ability: Thick Fat
    EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpA

Bold Nature
    - Giga Drain
    - Sludge Bomb
    - Leech Seed/Sleep Powder/ Hidden power Rock
    - Protect
    Description
    Here comes the bulk, the bulky bulky bulk. M-Venusaur can do some great things, you got that thick fat to help you not worry TOO much about Charizard-Y's and you got that defense bulk to help you from Kangaskhan, and Talonflames. Again some options we have here for this one, as its meant to just be a wall, and help my other Pokémon get some damage off, while everyone's too busy attacking this bulk. Leech seed can work, but so can sleep powder, both are fair use moves that can help. Hidden Power rock can help too, as it can cover some flying and fire types.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Metagross-Mega @ Metagrossite
    Ability: Tough Claws
    Jolly Nature
    - Bullet Punch
    - Meteor Mash/Iron Head
    - Zen Headbutt/Rock slide/Earthquake
    - Protect
    +
    Salamence @ Life Orb/Choice scarf
    Ability: Intimidate
    Timid Nature
    - Dragon Pulse/Draco Meteor
    - Flamethrower/Fire Blast
    - Hydro Pump/hidden power ice
    - Protect

Description
    What you are seeing is a choice, yes that is a + symbol. This choice must have these two working together due to synergy. Metagross will be replacing M-Gallade, and Salamence will be Replacing Noivern. Again I could just keep Noivern, but Salamence also has intimidate which can deem useful. So first we got M-Metagross, this thing can outspeed M-Charizard-Y Which honestly gives me one reason to put in rock slide as a choice to put in a move. Earthquake also can be useful in some cases and wouldn't be a bad idea either. Meteor mash, and Iron head both good moves, but accuracy differences and effect differences. Having that flinch or having that chance of atk boost, it can go either way. I want bullet punch, sorry but the priority would really help, if you have another suggestion that can deem more useful than bullet punch do tell please. Then there is Salamence, ok so you might say, why not M-Salamence? Well see Salamence is overall a versatile Pokémon, it really can be anything it wants to be, so i see no issues there. I don't like to use low accuracy moves though, and draco meteor again scares me just for the sake of losing that sp.atk. Dragon pulse just gives me enough coverage overall, but if Draco Meteor is worth it, so be it. As for Hydro pump, honestly it has a fair use of coverage, but i rather just go with HP Ice, not only does it have some really nice coverage, but a good accuracy too. Again anything can work here.

So that is it, those are the current choices you guys have to choose from, if you feel that I didn't explain well enough or not enough, don't be shy to tell or ask me with a PM, and I will update some things on this post as time goes. This Post will be checked on every day for 72 hours, after that, the post will be archived, as I will make my final decision on what to have by then. Again I appreciate for anyone to comment and give their 2 cents even if they feel they aren't that good. I also want to remind people THIS IS FOR VGC 2015, please don't ask what format this is, otherwise you most likely did not read any of this, and you will be ignored.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Xarn likes this.
  2. Wiso Altred

Wiso Altred Dragon Tamer

tetsu
    (Ledyba)
    Level 6
    PokéPoints:
    ₽66.8
    Remove greininja u cant have 2 lifeorbs in one team

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Xarn likes this.
  3. Prosecutor

PokéPoints:
    ₽58.7
    Mega-Venusaur provides a lot of bulk and special attacking power to your team and is overall a great tank if you ever want to stall a little bit. Also, Sleep Powder can really come in handy.

sohrob101 likes this.
  4. Synthesia

Synthesia Bird Keeper

PokéPoints:
    ₽67.7
    These movesets are the common movesets.
    M-Manectric- Volt switch, HP Ice, Overheat, Protect
    M-Lucario- Flash cannon, Aura sphere, Nasty Plot, Protect
    Greninja- Waterfall, Gunk shot, Low kick, Mat block/U-turn + Life orb
    M-Venusaur- Giga Drain, Sludge bomb, sleep powder, protect
    M-Metagross- Meteor Mash, zen headbutt, ice punch, protect
    Salamence- Draco meteor, fire blast, hydro pump, dragon pulse + Choice scarf

I just made this post because movesets can be tricky to decide what to choose.

sohrob101 likes this.
  5. Spammernoob

Spammernoob A Spammer or a Noob?

PokéPoints:
    ₽41.8
    I chose M-Luke because you need it for M-Kangaskhan. That's the only reason. :P

sohrob101 likes this.
  6. Synthesia

Synthesia Bird Keeper

PokéPoints:
    ₽67.7
    Lucario is so fragile to be a mega Pokémon, getting Koed by certain Pokémon like hydro pump rotom wash,
    charizard's heat wave, zapdos' thunderbolt or even mega kangaskhan's return.
    I like going with mega metagross because that bulk and offense, even speed. It can KO Pokémon easily
    with attacks. Even though steel type got nerfed its good typing makes it resisted to a few things.

And dont quote me on this every mega Pokémon can be useful :P

sohrob101 likes this.
  7. East

East Look to the Stars

PokéPoints:
    ₽742.2
    Personally, I wouldn't agree that any of the choices you have are better for your team. M-Gallade is one of the most valuable Pokémon on your team given that it's one of the two physical attackers, and the only one capable of going mega.

If you really want to replace it, I'd say go for Mega Kangaskhan. It will provide you with a lot of bulk, something helpful for your otherwise frailer special attackers (Noivern and Whimsicott) and even better, give you Fake Out support. In the end, I think the only purpose served consistently by Whimsicott is to take hits and provide some aid to your team as support, but Amoonguss or Sableye would do your team better in my opinion.

Given the set of Regirock, you've based the team around it, and assuming that, Mega Kangaskhan will give you decoy support as well as a nice backup for revenge killing. Other than that, the options you have listed are primarily special, and the two physical options (M-Luke and Greninja) would hurt your team more than do good - they only strengthen ground/fairy types against your team. Heatran would be better served holding an Air Balloon, and Rotom-W would be way better off using something like Volt Switch or Thunderbolt instead of Electroweb. Your team doesn't really have many issues with speed, and setting up really only wastes a turn unless you have Follow Me or Rage Powder matched on a bulky Pokémon such as Togekiss or Amoonguss.

But, that's my two cents.

8. Martsian

Martsian Gym leader

PokéPoints:
    ₽72.8
    m-manectric! Intimidate is awesome man in vgc, dont forget that

9. East

East Look to the Stars

PokéPoints:
    ₽742.2
    @[member="sohrob101"] have you tried out the replacement options we've suggested?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.