1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Video Game Challenge Runs

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Getus, Mar 17, 2018.

1. Getus

Getus The Senate

Ky
    (Kyogre Egg)
    Level 18
    PokéPoints:
    ₽111.6
    Philosopher's CowlReaper Cloth ★★★Psychium Z ★★★★Great Ball ★★Cooler Gary Oak ★★★★★
    We all have our favourite game, perhaps it's a whole franchise like Pokémon or Final Fantasy, or maybe it's a stand alone like Knack (I kid, no one liked that game I think) or Overwatch. Eventually though, playing the game the way it's meant to be played can get boring, thus challenge runs were born.

These are most notable on games like Pokémon in the form of Nuzlockes, but it's not exclusive to those types of games. You can do it in FPS' like Call of Duty, sports games like Fifa or RPG's like Skyrim and Fallout. The purpose of this thread is to introduce your own challenge run idea for a specific game.

One rule though, no Pokémon. This is not the relevant section for that.

Now these runs don't have to be 100% original, you could've seen someone do one and wanted to let others know about the challenge, but if you do come up with your own then good job. You're more creative than me.

To keep things easy to read, I'm going to provide a format you should try to stick to.

Challenge Name:

Game:

Main Goal:

Rules (mandatory and optional):

Bonus goals (if applicable):

If you've done the run before, perhaps give a summary of how it went? Let us know how difficult it is xD

If you're uncertain about some parts of the formats, don't worry I have you covered with my own example!

Challenge Name:
    For Sparta!

Game: Tom Clancy Rainbow Six Siege

Main Goal: Eliminate the enemy team with only using shield bashing.

Rules:
    1. You and your team must use an operator who can use a shield
    2. Only eliminations you can get are with a shield bash (melee)
    3. You and your team must stick together, similarly to the Spartans in 300 during the arrow scene. Protect your allies with your shield wall!
    Bonus Goals: If you can do it with a team of recruits, you've done Sparta proud. Excellent work.

Looking forward to seeing your ideas!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Junkrat

Junkrat Demolitions Expert

Articuno Egg
    (Articuno Egg)
    Level 6
    PokéPoints:
    ₽571.7
    Park Ball ★★★
    Hmm... okay.

Challenge Name: Alt. Unit Challenge

Game: Fire Emblem series

Main Goal: Defeat the game using units you've never used before- on Hard/Lunatic Mode.

Mandatory:
    • You MUST use units you've never used before, so this is best if you've played the game already. The only exception is your player character.
    • You have to set the game to hard, lunatic, or lunatic+ difficulty. If you lower the difficulty, you lose the challenge.
    Optional:
    • To make it even harder, if you want to, if you lose a chapter you have to start the game over entirely. If, during the first run you used all possible units you never used before, you can reuse them.
    • Can't forge your weapons.
    • No healing items, weapons, or abilities.

Bonus goals (if applicable): None really. Just beat the game!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Getus likes this.
  3. SnowboundBecca

SnowboundBecca Scarf Enthusiast

Jet Stone
    (Froakie)
    Level 27
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,335.7
    Marshadium Z ★★★★★Beast Ball ★★★★Black Glasses ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★Legendary Triforce ★★
    Here's something relevant for Kirby fans. (Edited with my own experience)
    Pure Pink

Game: Kirby Star Allies

Main Goal: Save Dreamland from the forces of darkness with your own pink, puffy self.

Rules:
    1. Play through all of story mode.
    2. No friends (unless required).
    3. No copy abilities.
    Bonus goal: If you're looking for a spicier challenge, try beating "The Ultimate Choice" using these rules on the hardest difficulty. It won't be easy, but it certainly will be quite thrilling.

Not gonna lie, I was actually pretty content with my second run through with these rules in place, particularly against the bosses. Rather than just beating them senseless, I was forced to learn their moves and think before attacking, dodging out of the way of their bigger attacks and such that usually require an elemental weakness or Parasol ability to stop (if you've played the game, you know what I mean). Not to mention, it was a lot less hectic without three other friends running around the boss like maniacs.

The only thing stopping me from using the "No friends" rule were only times when I was required to have at least one friend to open a door, or a full team to use pedestal powers. And the big bad final boss (no spoilers) also requires you to have a full team no matter what, so I beat them with the "Return to Dreamland" trio, Bandanna Dee, King Dedede, and Meta Knight, without power-ups.

Surprisingly, I managed to beat this challenge without dying once. Yay, me.:D

#3 Mar 17, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2018
    Getus likes this.
  4. Wolf Expert

Wolf Expert Canine Scholar

Wolf
    (Riolu)
    Level 24
    PokéPoints:
    ₽761.2
    Moon Ball ★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★Premier Ball ★Friend Ball ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★
    Challenge Name: I've heard of other people doing something similar. I call it the "Hero Challenge" but I don't know if it has another name.

Game: Skyrim

Main Goal: Play through the game as a lawful good character.

• Play through the entire main story line.
    • No stealing or murdering, which also means not joining the thieves guild or dark brotherhood
    • Only kill hostile enemies, not enemies that can be passive, like giants. Killing animals is okay.
    • Do quests for townspeople as often as possible, but only if it doesn't involve something illegal
    • Good and evil are subjective between Stormcloaks and Imperials. Use your best judgement when encountering members of either when deciding how to handle the situation.
    • Optional: choose to support either Stormcloaks or Imperials. The enemy side can be considered "hostile enemies" and can be killed when encountered, but you can never kill someone from the side you choose to support. NPCs who support the enemy's side still shouldn't be killed.

• Finish one or more guild quest lines.
    • Give your character a profession they focus on while not adventuring, such as potion making or smithing.
    • Play through the DLCs, sticking with the "lawful good" theme. This also means adopting children, preferably the orphaned children you can find in various cities.

I've played through the game like this before, and it was actually kind of surprising. I had always played roguish characters before, which end up being mostly disliked by the various people I'd run across in the games, so it was strange seeing that the characters in the game actually start to like you if you play a morally good character. It felt like there was something more at stake than just running through doing whatever I wanted. It felt like there was actually a tangible story that was unfolding this way too, rather than just a series of mismatched events from a bunch of random quest lines.

Also, if anyone ever attempts something like this, I'd suggest staying away from Markarth as much as possible. That town is like the place where morality goes to die.

Getus likes this.
  5. Tepig

Tepig The Talking Tepig

Fire Nation
    (Groudon Egg)
    Level 29
    PokéPoints:
    ₽595.9
    Assault Vest ★★★★Flame Orb ★★★★★Black Glasses ★★★★Red Orb ★★★★★
    This challenge is extremely difficult on its base difficulty. Kudos to anyone who can beat this. I will be attempting to do this myself, and will document this on a separate thread.

Challenge Name: Suicidal Mode

Game: The Binding of Isaac Rebirth/Afterbirth/Afterbirth+

Main Goal: Defeat ??? OR The Lamb (defeating these bosses in The Void does not count, it must be in The Chest (???) or The Dark Room (The Lamb))

Rules:
    Only a maximum of two items can be taken from each floor (please note consumables do not count to this. They have their own rule.). These include:
    - Treasure room items
    - Boss room items
    - Devil room items
    - Any items that spawn in a regular room or from a chest
    - Gaining your first activated item counts as an item taken from that floor, but any activated items after that will only count if you use it at least once, even if you abandon it that same floor.
    - Crawlspace and Black Market items do not count towards any limit. The Small Rock (from tinted rocks) does, however.
    NOTE: Any items bought from the store will not count towards the two-per-floor limit, instead you can buy up to 3 items from stores across the run.

You MUST fight Mom in order to get the Polaroid/Negative. If you obtain neither of these items, the challenge is unbeatable, even is you beat the optional boss(es).

You may have no more than 6 Red Heart containers and/or 3 Soul/Black hearts as your health at any given moment. For ???, as he can ONLY get Soul/Black hearts, he can have up to 9. For Keeper, due to his limit of health to 'two', you may instead take up to 3 extra items across the run.

If you choose to play as the Lost, you may gain up to 3 extra items across the entire run to balance his base difficulty.

(Optional, for the REAL challenge) You may have no more than 5 bombs, 5 keys or 15 pennies with you at any given time. If at any moment you gain more than this amount (save for an item such as Skeleton Key or Pyromaniac, which could force you over the limit), this rule is broken. The only time your count may go over, but not break the rule is if you gain an item like one of the aforementioned.

Bonus goals: Beat Hush, Mega Satan and/or Delirium.

If you manage to send me proof that you've beaten the original challenge, plus all of the bonus bosses, whilst also upholding to all of the rules (including all the optional ones), I will give you all my PP I have at the time.

#5 Mar 18, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2018
  6. Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero The second seal

Jeff
    (Spinarak)
    Level 19
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,869.8
    Challenge Name: Minimal Zelda Challenge

Game: Any ordinary Zelda game, meaning some like Hyrule Warriors might not be applicable.

Main Goal: Beat the entire game without any non-mandatory upgrades.

Rules (mandatory and optional): No heart pieces or heart containers, no magic or defense upgrades, no bomb bag or arrow quiver upgrades, only one bottle, as well as prohibiting any other related upgrades. You can still get and use required tools that you need to beat dungeons/the game.

How it happened for me: I've only ever done this in Majora's Mask 3DS. The bosses of the West and East temples were very hard in this mode, and I still barely can't defeat Majora itself. Most of its attacks can hit you through your shield and will OHKO you, and you can only carry one fairy in the one bottle you're required to get, and no bunny hood to make things easier (only the 3 transformation masks and the 3 undead masks).

7. ShinigamiMiroku

Sorceress' Knight
    (Ralts ♂)
    Level 23
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,354.4
    Red Orb ★★★★★
    My favorite 'challenge':

Challenge Name: The "Pacifist" Run

Game: Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater

Main Goal: To clear the game with 0 kills (IIRC there's actually a ranking for it in the game)

Rules (mandatory and optional): No 'lethal' weapons of any kind. The guards must be knocked out/bosses must have their stamina depleted and not have any health taken. Failed if environment kills them, such as by venomous snakes, alligators, and other various lethal environmental hazards that already exist in the game (so no throwing cobras and scorpions around!).

Bonus goals (if applicable): Stealth-only; guards cannot be knocked out by any means. They can, when applicable, be chased out of the screen by bees, as they do not die and will eventually return if you do not get through that map quickly. Also, try to capture the Tsuchinoko, for added points.

The bit that actually makes this a challenge is that you're constantly fighting against the environment as well as the Soviets, as there are MANY things in the game that can kill you before a guard even has the decency to TRY to spot you. Even moreso on the higher difficulty levels, where medicine and ammo are scarce.

Getus likes this.
  8. Tepig

Tepig The Talking Tepig

Fire Nation
    (Groudon Egg)
    Level 29
    PokéPoints:
    ₽595.9
    Assault Vest ★★★★Flame Orb ★★★★★Black Glasses ★★★★Red Orb ★★★★★
    Playing Shovel Knight earlier and thought of this. Not really a challenge but can be annoying at some parts of the game.

Challenge Name:
    Limited Lives Challenge

Game:
    Shovel Knight

Main Goal:
    Defeat the Tower of Fate: ???? level in any campaign

Rules:
    Every time you die in a stage, you must hit the checkpoint totem once. After three deaths, the totem will have been hit three times and break, giving you some gold BUT will not allow you to continue from that checkpoint anymore. This can be tricky as if you keep dying at a certain part of a level you might break all checkpoints prior to that part and have to restart from the beginning every time.

Bonus goals:
    Beat the Tower of Fate: ???? level without completely breaking a single checkpoint in the entire game.

Getus likes this.