1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Video Games that Make You Cry

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Wolf Expert, Nov 8, 2018.

1. Wolf Expert

Wolf Expert Canine Scholar

Wolf
    (Riolu)
    Level 24
    PokéPoints:
    ₽761.2
    Moon Ball ★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★Premier Ball ★Friend Ball ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★
    Are there any games you've played that have made you cry? And by that I mean because of the story, not out of frustration.

For me, all of the Mystery Dungeon games, To the Moon and it's sequel, Finding Paradise, and Undertale were some pretty big ones.

Undertale was especially emotional for me. The first time I cried was when first getting to Snowdin. I had an expectation of what monsters would be like, but seeing the happy little christmas village made me feel so bad for thinking down on them before even knowing what they were like. The second time (I'll try not to spoil too much since it seems like there are still some people who haven't played it) was during the part when the "Undertale" song plays. And to make thinsg worse, one person said, "You should be smiling too!" and I just completely lost it.

As for Mystery Dungeon, each game I think "I've seen this ending before, I won't cry this time" and then there's some twist that just makes me throw that plan out the window. I intentionally make sure I'm playing the end of a Mystery Dungeon game when no one else is home so no one sees me crying.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Moonstruck-Mist

HoverBoots
    (Shaymin (Sky))
    Level 35
    PokéPoints:
    ₽544.9
    I agree with you on the Mystery Dungeon games, but I also think Last of Us made me cry, alongside Undertale and... I think Spiderman (PS4) did as well. I'm a big crybaby in games, especially with plot details and characters. I don't know why, though, but I'm sure it's just cause I'm really empathetic.

But, yeah. I think that's all the games that made me cry so far. Not sure which others have in the past, but I'm sure there will be in the future, maybe

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. HiddenLore

Time Master
    (Dialga Egg)
    Level 36
    PokéPoints:
    ₽11,861.4
    Crown of ValorPoké Ball ★Root Fossil ★★★Beedrillite ★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★
    I'm pretty stoic usually, but I remember getting really emotional while playing the ending of Explorers of Time. It was very touching after spending so much time with the two main characters.

4. BZRich64

BZRich64 The Mustachiod Machamp

Late For A Date
    (Bunnelby)
    Level 14
    PokéPoints:
    ₽6,914.1
    As far as I can recall I've never had a game make me cry before. Even though video games make you more invested in the characters and plot than other mediums or capable of, I always feel enough of a disconnect towards fictional realities to not reach the point of crying. I feel like I have been close to it, though, but I don't remember what the games where or the circumstances.

5. SyWry

Legendary Egg
    (Rayquaza Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,606.1
    What's with Pokémon Mystery Dungeon and making people cry? Pokémon Mystery Dungeon explorers of sky is one of the few games that have made me cry. I usually don't get too attached to game characters but there's something about that Mystery dungeon game that gets me every time.

6. Gazi

Lilith
    (Litleo ♀)
    Level 9
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,871.2
    Dawn Stone ★★★★Legendary Triforce ★★Reaper Cloth ★★★
    I don't think I've ever actually cried when playing a game, but I do have moments when I get very emotional, and one of those games is Majora's Mask. The whole game is just full of bittersweet moments. Every character is hurting so much, and my favorite thing to do is to just go around and help ease the pain of these characters, even if I can't get rid of it entirely, and even though most of their problems just come back when you go back in time in the game. It's just a super sad game.

7. SnowboundBecca

SnowboundBecca Scarf Enthusiast

Jet Stone
    (Froakie)
    Level 27
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,335.7
    Marshadium Z ★★★★★Beast Ball ★★★★Black Glasses ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★Legendary Triforce ★★
    I'll be blunt: I'm a pretty emotional person when it comes to playing games/watching movies/reading books of any kind. If there's a really engaging story, chances are I'm going to cry during/at the end of it.

I think the first game that made me really cry was Dark Cloud (an old PS2 Dungeon Crawler game that really should've gotten more attention). One character, despite not having a lot of screen time but had a lot of interest in, has a scene just before the final dungeon in the game that pretty much ripped my heart out and stamped it into the ground for good measure.
    His name was Seda. When you first meet him, he asks that you give him a special ore that you have called Atlas that has the power to restore the world. You refuse, of course, but he seems fine with it up until he suddenly gets possessed by a demon called the Dark Genie and attacks you.

You don't really see him again until the end of the game, where he reveals he's from 400 years in the past and traveled to the present to find the Atlas and restore his kingdom after he sold his soul to win a war. Then the Dark Genie tries to possess him again and before that happens, he opens up a portal into the past and freaking stabs himself through the chest with his sword. Not gonna lie, I was not prepared for that scene and I kinda liked the guy, so seeing all that pretty much broke me.

8. Wizard

Wizard Do you feel it? The moon's power!

Cupidueye
    (Decidueye (Cupid))
    Level 113
    PokéPoints:
    ₽9,385.6
    Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia

I will talk about a major spoiler, so naturally I will put it in a spoiler :D
    The moment close to the end of the game when Alm has to stab the possessed Celica is the most heart-wrenching moment in video games that I have ever seen. These two characters have been developed so deeply, and to have one have to "kill" the other, is heart-breaking. Fortunately, Celica is saved, but I shed a few tears for that seen. It was hard stuff.

9. Gwoomy

Gwoomy french goo

HOLY SHIT
    (MissingNo.)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽6,639.1
    Dragon Scale ★★★Marshadium Z ★★★★★Helix Fossil ★★★Legendary Triforce ★★Animal Crossing Leaf ★
    The one I instantly thought about is my first and only finished PMD game, Super Mystery Dungeon.
    That plot, omg. I remember that I was playing in secret in my bed, and while the whole plot full of twists already had me on my toes (the pyramid thing, everyone turned into stone, that freacking jump to get into the flying tree…), the moment when we faced the boss teared me up. When the partner refused to give up, the music, the scene, it was too much.
    I probably cried too when the partner had to leave.

#9 Nov 9, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
  10. ChocoChicken

Krysmus Azelv (lol)
    (Krysmus Azelv)
    Level 34
    PokéPoints:
    ₽10,251.3
    Misty's EmblemLegendary Triforce ★★
    I've never cried on a video game. Usually because I've already read the entire plot before I even start and have already spoiled everything for myself, heh...

11. flareon71

Legegg
    (Mew Egg)
    Level 20
    PokéPoints:
    ₽392.1
    PMD, babyyyyy
    Explorers, yeah, I'm pretty sure we know what happens, a classic
    But Super Mystery Dungeon, hoo boy, that game threw me for a loop

Also I wanna throw my hat into the ring by stating another game that got me real emotional, that being Mother 3
    Especially the ending
    Will I spoil? Nah
    That is all

12. Dawn

Dawn La vie est drôle

Cresselia
    (Cresselia)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,104.6
    ...I had half a dozen games that bored me to tears all lined up and ready to go, and you shot me down with the first post. You might have just made me cry. xD

In any case, I've never actually cried because of a video game before. I'm not the most emotional of people...at least not to the point fiction would move me to tears. I HAVE come very close twice, though - the first time was with Link's Awakening, and the second was with NieR. Spoilers below!

In Link's Awakening it was at the end, when Marin disappeared. I'd gotten very attached to her, and the first time I didn't get to see the ending where she turns into a gull and flies away. I thought she was dead and it upset me...not to the point of tears, but close. I was a lot younger back then...about 10, I think?

In NieR it was Ending B. Ending B was so beautifully poignant - the Shadowlord FINALLY reunited with his Yonah, and they're both dead. Then Ashes of Dreams starts playing again and I think that's probably the most powerfully emotional song I've ever heard in a video game, ever. Never mind that the game has been piling the guilt on me for the entire second-half second run by subtitling the Shades previously indecipherable nonsense to find that they're actually very peaceful and fighting more out of self-defence or madness than any malevolence. Thanks for that, guys. You just turned me into the villain. I didn't cry, but I DID feel like a pretty horrible person. xD

13. CharlieWeasleyfan

Shiny Roggenrola
    (Roggenrola)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽201.2
    Trainer Card - Cave ThemeRocky Helmet ★★★★★Staff of VerityExp. Share ★★
    Bendy and the Ink Machine Chapter 4. Basically you get close to a character and then are forced to kill him thanks to another character.
    Alice Angel or rather "Physical Alice" steals Boris at the end of Chapter 3, and she sends you on more errands in Chapter 4. You never realize until too late you're helping her harm, Boris. Then you have to fight him at the end and kill him off. Poor Boris struggled to reject things in him. Now he's dead. Only to see that One Boris wasn't the original, and the Physical Alice wasn't Alice Angel at all. There was a real one hiding out.

14. FireSpartan5

FireSpartan5 Pokémon Professor

Zane
    (Genesect Egg)
    Level 5
    PokéPoints:
    ₽866.4
    Cooler Gary Oak ★★★★★Tapunium Z ★★★★★Choice Specs ★★★★★Flame Orb ★★★★★
    Really just Undertale, specifically anything having to do with Asriel. Then again, I usually watch games as opposed to playing them (except Pokémon and Smash Bros.) so I don’t get hit in the gut as much with the emotions.

15. Shadria

Shadria Impish Illusionary Kitsune

Lucan
    (Ralts ♂)
    Level 6
    PokéPoints:
    ₽501.7
    Black Glasses ★★★★Friend Ball ★★★★Park Ball ★★★Helix Fossil ★★★Sun Stone ★★★
    PMD, for all the same reasons everyone said
    Undertale-
    "Don't you know why I'm doing this, Chara? It's because I care about you. More than anyone else. So please, just give up. Give up for me!"

16. Pari

Pari poyo

Andromeda
    (Palkia Egg)
    Level 9
    PokéPoints:
    ₽350.3
    Hopping on the PMD train, Explorers of Sky made me cry a lot. The music, paired with what was happening... Oh man.
    VVVVVV has made me cry, but that's more out of frustration than anything LOL.