1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Voice Acting?

Discussion in 'Other Pokémon Games' started by Cadbberry, Jun 6, 2017.

1. Cadbberry

Cadbberry Dad: 76.... Or Cad: 76

Cosmo
    (Eevee (KS))
    Level 12
    PokéPoints:
    ₽654.3
    Marshadium Z ★★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★Mewnium Z  ★★★★★
    Would you want to see Pokémon games with voices or would you rather than continuing to only be text. While the VA would just be during cut scenes, I think it would be neat to see this come into play since you can get extra inflections in voices which can cause more emotion.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Morgaine

Morgaine Goddess of Shinies

Bolero
    (Litleo ♀)
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽5.7
    Crown of ValorSoothe Bell ★Heart Scale ★★Ice Stone ★★★★
    Seeing as the Protag doesn't talk, I could get on board with this.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Xarn

Xarn Sponsor

Dragonite
    (Dragonite)
    Level 56
    PokéPoints:
    ₽316.9
    I read and think that I am the main character (or everyone else). I like thinking about how would be the voices.
    No problems if they add them, since it would be a good experience.

4. JadeFox

JadeFox Valor Veteran

Manchot
    (Piplup)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽91.6
    Premier Ball ★Beast Ball ★★★★Park Ball ★★★Mewnium Z  ★★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★
    I like this idea. Main series Pokémon games have never done this before, and now that there's a different storyline, VA during cutscenes would be something new to add to the series. Since the main protagonist can't talk, it would make the games a lot easier to VA with.

5. Cadbberry

Cosmo
    (Eevee (KS))
    Level 12
    PokéPoints:
    ₽654.3
    The only issue I see, putting names into scripts would cause awkward blanks or robot voices since names are funky sometimes and aint no good type of funk. Since your name can be YUHIUBIN it couldn't be voice acted, they may have to just say you, her, him, them, they.

6. Butternut

Butternut The Coolest Spider

Joltik
    (Joltik)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,905.8
    Mewnium Z  ★★★★★Black Glasses ★★★★Red Orb ★★★★★Ultra BallCrown of Valor
    Yes hi I'm here, I will voice every character and it will be glorious

For real though, if done well, it could add a whole new layer to the games that I would be totally okay with.

7. HeroofFire101

HeroofFire101 Stirlingite

Ember
    (Quilava)
    Level 34
    PokéPoints:
    ₽10,660.4
    You know, KK, you can just add your own voices when you play the games yourself.

8. Morgaine

Bolero
    (Litleo ♀)
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽5.7
    KK, even if your voice is high enough to pass as a female one, you cannot seriously do them.

Xarn likes this.
  9. Xarn

Xarn Sponsor

Dragonite
    (Dragonite)
    Level 56
    PokéPoints:
    ₽316.9
    I don't want to listen KK on my game... unless he is a Pokémon xD

10. Morgaine

Bolero
    (Litleo ♀)
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽5.7
    He is a Wippor. Woopah!

Xarn likes this.
  11. Xarn

Xarn Sponsor

Dragonite
    (Dragonite)
    Level 56
    PokéPoints:
    ₽316.9
    Wippor would be blue and Alolan-Wippor would be red lol!
    Oh...I should have mentioned the Alolan-Quagsire too...

12. Beffie

Beffie clear your cache

beautiful and perfect
    (Feebas)
    Level 36
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,170.2
    Crown of ValorDawn Stone ★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★Gardevoirite ★★★★Cooler Gary Oak ★★★★★
    For me, I'd like to both see it and not see it. The new Fire Emblem games are fully voiced and it sounds so much more lively, as if the characters were actually people and not pixels. Seeing Pokémon take the same approach would have the same effect, bring the characters to life a bit more than before.

At the same time, I don't want them to go down this road. It's so much fun to create/headcanon your own voices for characters, and a fully voiced game would take away from the fun of headcanoning. Even if they only did so in cutscenes, that's still a voice that you can't create.

Also as many have brought up, how are they supposed to say the player's name? Do they just not say it? Are we going to be referred to by exclusively pronouns? It's something to think about.

13. Cadbberry

Cosmo
    (Eevee (KS))
    Level 12
    PokéPoints:
    ₽654.3
    Also, what if all the Pokémon were voiced, like in the anime or like Pikachu in game

JadeFox likes this.
  14. JadeFox

JadeFox Valor Veteran

Manchot
    (Piplup)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽91.6
    Premier Ball ★Beast Ball ★★★★Park Ball ★★★Mewnium Z  ★★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★
    That would be something interesting. I personally prefer the cries of Pokémon instead of the anime sounds (I HATE DEDENNE NOW BECAUSE OF THEM). But if that were to happen, I would be mildly annoyed by some of the rather annoying ones, but it most likely wouldn't affect me much.

15. ShireHime

Meow
    (Meowstic ♀)
    Level 54
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,408.4
    Dawn Stone ★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★Comet Shard ★★★★Tapunium Z ★★★★★Crown of Valor
    They could do it Persona 5 style, where the characters end the sentence without saying the player's name. The you, her, him is a good alternative too.

16. Strytho

Strytho Giveaway Enthusiast

Xerneas Egg
    (Xerneas Egg)
    Level 8
    PokéPoints:
    ₽485.4
    Friend Ball ★★★★Beast Ball ★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★Lure Ball ★★★★Basic Gary Oak ★
    I would love to see this because to me it would make the games so much better. You can hear the inflections and emotions, plus the way you say things gives you better context and can cue you into things better. I can only imagine guzma's voice lol.

17. brsajo

brsajo Idioddish

Sproot
    (Oddish)
    Level 16
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,218.2
    To be honest, I think text-to-speech technology has come far enough that using it for the player name wouldn't be that bad. If you choose a name that does sound odd, you would probably expect it and not mind as much.

JadeFox likes this.
  18. Hraesvelgr

Hraesvelgr Snek in Your Boot

Zapdos Egg
    (Zapdos Egg)
    Level 21
    PokéPoints:
    ₽12,020.7
    Trainer Card - Cave ThemeDragon Fang ★★★★Philosopher's CowlWater Stone ★★★Great Ball ★★
    Voices would be neat but I doubt it'll happen, I sure won't complain of they start adding voices to the game tho.

19. BZRich64

BZRich64 The Mustachiod Machamp

Late For A Date
    (Bunnelby)
    Level 14
    PokéPoints:
    ₽6,996.0
    They could get around the player inputted names by having characters refer to the player by things other than their name during the voice acted dialogue, like how Professor Kukui calls the player "cousin" (trainer and challenger would probably be the most used). Also, if they did add voice acting, it would probably be best if it was something that could be turned on and off in the settings menu, so that players who don't want it for one reason or another don't have to have it.

20. Wolf Expert

Wolf Expert Canine Scholar

Wolf
    (Riolu)
    Level 24
    PokéPoints:
    ₽761.2
    Moon Ball ★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★Premier Ball ★Friend Ball ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★
    The silent protagonist thing would be so apparent with voice acting in a Pokémon game. They added a lot more dialogue options to Sun and Moon, which was pretty cool. I would prefer for there to still be primarily text, but I wouldn't mind them adding some vocalizations, like in Zelda games.