1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Warrior, Mage, or Rogue?

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Absolute Zero, Oct 16, 2018.

?

What is your single preferred style of action-packed adventurer?

1. The mighty warrior

4 vote(s)
    22.2%
  2. The dynamic mage

5 vote(s)
    27.8%
  3. The cunning rogue

9 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero The second seal

Jeff
    (Spinarak)
    Level 19
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,869.8
    And I'm not just talking about Chesnaught, Delphox, and Greninja. In a lot of video games that have anything like character customization or a skill tree, there's usually a pretty clear divide between three classes or methods of being a daring adventurer: the warrior, the mage, and the rogue; and they might have some slight variations in their names, like the soldier or the thief or the adept.

The Warrior is your big strong lady or gentleman who can take damage and hit hard as well. Probably wielding a sword or a battle axe or a machine gun or something, and is probably not so sneaky and optionally not so smart, but is almost certainly happy to take a hit for a friend and always trying to keep the team safe and the enemies beaten.

The Mage gets to cast all sorts of magic spells and mess with the enemy in ways that can capitalize on their weaknesses, whatever they may be. Fireballs, electric storms, sumoning illusions, and the list goes on. Even when there isn't magic, this style might instead use other fun high-damage and chaotic things like bombs or grenades or robot minions or psychic powers.

The Rogue is simultaneously the least lethal and most lethal of all of these. Able to avoid fighting entirely or to end a fight in one stab of the knife or pull of the rifle's trigger, this one might also be super charming to talk people into giving up information or not noticing their pockets being emptied, or capitalize on computer hacking for gaining restricted access in modern and future settings.

And of course, these three archetypes can be blended in all sorts of ways, with far too many percent mixes to talk about here, with spellswords and druids and ninjas oh my.

What about you? Do you have any tendencies when it comes to choosing your playstyle?

~~~~~~~

I have a pretty strict tendency depending on if I have any partners with me or not. If I'm adventuring all by my self (e.g. Far Cry or Dishonored), I try to be as sneaky as possible and keep myself safe. I might not be able to take on a whole squad of bad guys all at once, but one-on-one? I'm sure I can win against just one henchman who I can see from my sniper nest or drop down upon from the trees. But if I have friends to back me up and take a hit or two for me (e.g. Mass Effect or Elder Scrolls) and who I want to keep safe by getting rid of danger as fast as possible, I go the complete opposite: I'm going to carry a broadsword in one hand and a magic spell in the other and wreak havoc and eliminate as many enemies as possible before they have a chance to rally back at me and my friends.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Hraesvelgr

Hraesvelgr Snek in Your Boot

Zapdos Egg
    (Zapdos Egg)
    Level 21
    PokéPoints:
    ₽11,794.7
    Trainer Card - Cave ThemeDragon Fang ★★★★Philosopher's CowlWater Stone ★★★Great Ball ★★
    Rogue, why? Simple I like shooting people in the face without them ever finding out where I am.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Jupjami likes this.
  3. ShinigamiMiroku

Sorceress' Knight
    (Ralts ♂)
    Level 23
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,354.4
    Red Orb ★★★★★
    In terms of my personality, I'm a rather interesting mix of all three, which makes it difficult to pinpoint one class I will default to every time.

4. BZRich64

BZRich64 The Mustachiod Machamp

Late For A Date
    (Bunnelby)
    Level 13
    PokéPoints:
    ₽6,644.3
    I always go with whatever warrior class is available. I just want to go in and kill everything with a sword.

5. Chicken

Chicken Cringe Overlord

Sven
    (Fennekin)
    Level 51
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,412.1
    Ice Stone ★★★★Icy Rock ★★★
    I usually go with the mage character in general, as I like to use magic. However, I also take their design and abilities into account.

6. Geroniny

Geroniny The Spacecraft Of Miracle

Azure
    (Kyogre)
    Level 34
    PokéPoints:
    ₽771.9
    Dawn Stone ★★★★Blue Orb ★★★★★Charizardite X ★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★Star Piece ★★★★
    I Will Be Mage. I Loves To Use Magic And Spell And I Am A Fusion Type!

7. Dawn

Dawn La vie est drôle

Cresselia
    (Cresselia)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,104.6
    It depends on the game and my current mood, really. If I can figure out a way around a Mage's squishiness I will almost always go mage, because I like setting fire to things. Spells are ALWAYS the best abilities in video games, because they're destructive, flashy, and do insane amounts of damage...it's just if the game will let you use them.

Otherwise I will often go with a Rogue-like class because I find stealth and misdirection more engaging and more challenging than being a Warrior-type class and mindlessly bashing the attack button to swing whatever weapon I'm holding at the time.

It does depend on design, too...I would never play as anything other than the Elf in Dragon's Crown, for example, because the character designs for the others are all revolting. Dragon's Dogma I went ranged because bows are OP. I picked Ophilia in Octopath Traveler - a cleric - because her design and backstory were most appealing to me. In Assassin's Creed I've gone primarily down the Assassin path for quick kills because Warrior is kinda boring (asides the Spartan kick) and Hunter doesn't really do enough damage...plus crafting arrows is annoying. The Assasin skill tree lets you kill enemies quickly and easily, sense treasures, throw your spear and teleport to it somehow, and stun enemies. There's so much more to it than either of the other two. Plus it seemed to suit Kassandra more than being a mindless Warrior type did...that'd be her brother's job.

So yeah, it does depend on the game. There aren't many games that balance all three equally and make all of them fun...Dragon Age: Origins is the only one I can think of off-hand that does this, in fact. But for most games there seems to be a prescribed - or at least, a most fun - way to play that supports a certain class, and I tend to gravitate towards that because the most effort has clearly been put into it.

Absolute Zero likes this.
  8. Roman

Roman Black Belt

Odd Egg (S)
    (Odd Egg (S))
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽43.3
    I typically lean to either rogue or mage, depending on the situation, character options, etc. I like the occasional warrior, but it's pretty rare

9. PoserPanda

SS EGG 2
    (Giratina Egg (Altered))
    Level 74
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,173.3
    Trainer Card - Cave Theme
    I choose warrior if everyone else goes for something sneaky or wise in Dungeons and Dragons. It helps to move the story along, if my teammates are standing around, not really making a decision. As a warrior, I can screw up the enemies and not have to worry too much about my health.

As a rogue, I prefer to play this way during any console game play. Splinter Cell? Rogue. Hitman? Rogue. Only killing those that have to die, and merely knocking out or sneaking around the rest. And those missions where stealth is optional? Stealthily is the only way I play. Even if it is in a game that doesn't necessarily making stealth a high point in their game, like Wind Waker or Elder Scrolls Online. If there's a dark corner, a side path that will take longer but will keep me hidden? I'm all for it.

10. TheBlazingInfernape

TheBlazingInfernape Gone, probably forgotten

Wildfire
    (Monferno)
    Level 23
    PokéPoints:
    ₽111.7
    There's a saying that I follow when playing a game that involves these three types. If at first you punch something and it doesn't die, punch it again... harder. Of course I choose the Warrior in these scenarios.

11. Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero The second seal

Jeff
    (Spinarak)
    Level 19
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,869.8
    The warrior isn't always a mindless button-masher who can get hit in the face with a hammer and still smile. One of the few times I've decided to go full-warrior was in Salt and Sanctuary: heavy armor plus a greathammer or axe-and-shield. Even while being weighed down with all that heavy equipment maxing my encumbrance, it became a very delicate balance of dodging even more carefully than the other builds that have better (easier) dodges, being exactly the right distance away to try to strike my big, heavy weapon from a safe distance (since a knife or whip user can hit and move away in safe time with no cooldown animation, and mages have huge range), and being super-aware of exactly when to raise my shield because those dodges, as nerfed as they were by my weight, were still necessary and sometimes insufficient. Maybe this made my character more of a "heavy rogue" if such a thing exists, being necessarily so agile, so precise, and so responsive, and less of an absolute tank; but on the other hand being able to survive three darn hits might cement that build as a tanky warrior anyway.

To be honest, I tried to be pure rogue in this game since you play solo, but stealth isn't an option and I couldn't manage being so flimsy. Even after honing my skills beating it at a warrior, I can only get 1/4 through as an archetypal rogue there.

12. ChocoChicken

Krysmus Azelv (lol)
    (Krysmus Azelv)
    Level 33
    PokéPoints:
    ₽9,990.4
    Misty's EmblemLegendary Triforce ★★
    It depends on the game, really. Mostly, I go for Mage or some kind of ranged aspect because I like being able to hit from far away, even though I suck at it.

13. Dawn

Dawn La vie est drôle

Cresselia
    (Cresselia)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,104.6
    Honestly I wouldn't classify that as a Warrior build...or perhaps I would say that the way you played it isn't in a warrior style. I haven't played the game, but I know if I were to spec a Warrior like that I wouldn't attempt to dodge at all, because from your description it clearly isn't designed for it.

There is always some small crossover - minor healing spells are always nice to have on a Warrior, a Mage with a Bow in case you run out of MP, etc - but I think at their core they're generally designed to be a certain way, and this can be a good or bad thing. I suppose it's because of the handicaps the game enforces on you if you try to play them any other way - so, dodging instead of blocking with heavy armour equipped makes it a miserable experience that, at times, makes the game almost impossible depending on what you're playing. I guess that's what parrying is for, although I'm not sure if I'd classify that as a Warrior or a Rogue ability. But I mean, imagine not using spells at all as a Mage and going to town with a dagger or your staff against foes. Sure, it's viable, but it's not really a supported play style - you get nothing for it; no special skills or whatever else.

I guess it's just me (or is it?) but I find that playing a character class the way I would play another character class is more frustrating than fun, because you're not taking advantage of the natural strengths of the class you are, and the game punishes you for trying to do something else...or doesn't reward or support you in your endeavours by offering ways to do that, so it's effectively the same thing. It's necessary for balance I suppose (I mean, I've played more than a few games where I've broken the system later in the game and had Warriors that can outspeed Rogues, and the Arcane Warrior class in Dragon Age: Origins, which is basically a physically attacking Mage, is downright terrifying in how broken it can be) but...eh. I'm not always a "path of least resistance" sort of person, but exploiting the systems and customising the experience by playing one class the way I would another isn't something I always have the time or even the energy for these days...most games don't handle it very well, if at all.

...and yeah, the issue with a lot of games is that they don't properly support every character class. If you play as a Rogue and rely on stealth, you're screwed when it comes to bosses that don't allow for stealthy approaches...and most don't. If you play as a Mage and the game throws waves upon waves of enemies at you, you're screwed if your spells take too long to cast. If you play as a Warrior and encounter ranged foes, you're screwed if you can't close the distance fast enough. Often, there is no way to tackle these obstacles, and more often than not the game will throw things at you that only one class can overcome with any degree of flexibility, and that is usually the Warrior class for its sheer physical strength and defense. I don't MIND a handicap, but I do wish it was more balanced in a lot of games.

14. Vaporstar4x4

Stephy
    (Jirachi Egg)
    Level 25
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,075.0
    I usually always go for a mage. I like far ranged attacks and the number of different spells you can use. Not only that but in games like Dragon age your class can determine how people treat you and it's always interesting to replay DA2 as a mage and see how people react.
    Mages can also be healers and I'm usually a support character in Overwatch to I guess I'm just drawn to the class.

15. Jupjami

Jupjami Thy friendly neighbourhood birb shaman

Hollow
    (Trevenant)
    Level 66
    PokéPoints:
    ₽7,572.7
    Leaf Stone ★★★Dragon Scale ★★★Darkinum Z ★★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★Reaper Cloth ★★★
    All three, but less of warrior and more of mage~

16. SnowboundBecca

SnowboundBecca Scarf Enthusiast

Jet Stone
    (Froakie)
    Level 27
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,335.7
    Marshadium Z ★★★★★Beast Ball ★★★★Black Glasses ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★Legendary Triforce ★★
    In most games, I'm either a rogue or some form of mage. Both of which simply because I prefer long-ranged combat as opposed to melee.

In my first bout of D&D, I started off as a rogue character because it was one of the easiest classes to play as (All you need to think about is Sneak Attack, and the fact that you are a rogue). They pair well with warrior-type classes like Barbarian, being able to attack enemies at a distance for extra damage while the warrior has them distracted. This was basically the crux of my first D&D experience.

As for mage, I also like using magic in games and the lore that surrounds it. Teammates need healing? Use a cure spell. Group of enemies clustered together? Nuke them with fire. Shopkeeper with unreasonable prices? Mind-control via Charm. The list goes on.

17. Gazi

Lilith
    (Litleo ♀)
    Level 9
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,871.2
    Dawn Stone ★★★★Legendary Triforce ★★Reaper Cloth ★★★
    Rogue, completely all the way. I just love the sly, mischievous, charming thief characters. I admit, I haven't really played a game that has these three options, but the rogues are always my favorite characters in shows and stuff, so I can't imagine myself picking anybody else...except maybe warrior, because those guys are freaking strong and definitely fit my fighting style in games the best.

18. Strytho

Strytho Giveaway Enthusiast

Xerneas Egg
    (Xerneas Egg)
    Level 8
    PokéPoints:
    ₽485.4
    Friend Ball ★★★★Beast Ball ★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★Lure Ball ★★★★Basic Gary Oak ★
    I'm usually a warrior or warrior rogue mix. I'm not that into the whole mage thing for anything other than healing myself. I honestly prefer to use brute force and keep sneaking around as a backup.

19. Sheep

Sheep Supporter

Xerneas Egg
    (Xerneas Egg)
    Level 10
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,366.0
    Mage! Or in my case, healer -- I thrive playing a priest/healer class and find lots of enjoyment in being able to support myself and teammates. Mages are also great though, especially ice or electricity elements haha. But I will absolutely always go healer if I have a choice. =)

20. Wolf Expert

Wolf Expert Canine Scholar

Wolf
    (Riolu)
    Level 24
    PokéPoints:
    ₽761.2
    Moon Ball ★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★Premier Ball ★Friend Ball ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★
    I tend to go with rogue, but sometimes I'll mix it up and go with warrior. I like to be sneaky or handle things with diplomacy when I get the chance. I guess I prefer pacifist if I can help it? On the other hand, warrior tends to make gameplay a lot faster paced and is fun in its own way. Mage is usually my last pick just because it tends to be overly complicated or a game's mana system tends to make it kind of a hassal. I'm playing a mage character in a tabletop game with some friends right now though and it's actually a lot of fun. At least, until I run out of spell slots and become near useless.