1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Watching a Movie for a Date

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Gazi, Dec 30, 2019.

?

Is watching a movie for a date a good idea, or a bad one?

1. Good

2 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. Bad

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. It Depends

8 vote(s)
    80.0%
  1. Gazi

Lilith
    (Litleo ♀)
    Level 9
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,871.2
    Dawn Stone ★★★★Legendary Triforce ★★Reaper Cloth ★★★
    I've always heard that watching a movie as a couple is a horrible date idea, and I've never understood that. I would personally love a date if we saw a movie together, but that may just be because of how I watch movies.

I don't just sit there silently and watch the movie, and then go on with my day when it's over. I talk about the movie or show, comment about what I like, what I didn't like, how the effects were. Movies are a fantastic conversation starter. Some of the most memorable times when I've had with my family was when we sat together and watched a movie together. It's just a good time for me. It's how I bond with my family, so I think it would be a great way to bond with someone on a date. The shows and movies I watch are a big part of my interests, so it's also a great way for my date to get to know me.

That's how I feel about it, but I'm curious. Do you guys think that watching a movie is just cheap and not a good way to get to know each other? Explain your opinion, please, I'm actually curious.

PoserPanda likes this.
  2. LassusVulpes

LassusVulpes Eclipse Holder

THE BIGGEST FLEX
    (Giratina (Origin))
    Level 55
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,993.1
    Cooler Gary Oak ★★★★★
    I'd say it's situational. if you watch a movie on the first date it'd be horrible. Because first dates are to get used to one another learn how one another works in the relationship. The human mind thinks weirdly, if you it'd be better to go to somewhere like a non sit-in restaurant in chase you don't like it and can walk out (I forgot to say about good) If they love movies than it might be a better choice, and if they're a vampire even better!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. HiddenLore

Time Master
    (Dialga Egg)
    Level 36
    PokéPoints:
    ₽11,894.8
    Crown of ValorPoké Ball ★Root Fossil ★★★Beedrillite ★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★
    The biggest problem with a movie as a date is that it isn't a place to get to know somebody new. I think that your right though, if you take time after the movie to talk about it, it can work as a great starting point to improve relationships more.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. SyWry

Legendary Egg
    (Rayquaza Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,606.1
    When it comes to love, there is no right way to do it. Is movies a perfect first date? Depends on who your going out with. For the most part though, no. Like what's mentioned above, a first date is to get to know someone. It is far better to go to a place where you can have a more intimate interaction. Restaurant was suggested above but is not the only option. Sit on a park bench, walk the park, go to a cafe, just whatever you can think of to talk to the significant other to get to know them. After the first date is a movie a good date? Absolutely. It gives you two shared experiences to bond over. What happens after the first date though is entirely up to the nature of the relationship and all parties involved and there is just no good way to make a pre-made plan for that.

5. Vitis

Vitis Banned

Hoopa
    (Hoopa)
    Level 2
    PokéPoints:
    ₽51.8
    Usually a date night is dinner and movie if a movie is on the itinerary, but dinner is the actual 'date' portion. As for it being a bad or good idea it is wildly variable on the relationship, the individuals, the movie and a little luck in regards to elements outside the couple like the other folks in the theatre. The main reason dinner usually goes with a movie is that it gives you time to talk, time you wouldn't have in the theatre for obvious reasons unless you're one of those people that talk through the movie in a the theatre and annoying everybody else in the process and watching a movie at home could come off as presumptuous depending on where the relationship is. The advantages of a movie are well known, but the advantages are also disadvantages which goes back to being dependent on everything else. If it's first date scenario you don't really get anywhere if it's just a movie and it's usually late when one would go to a movie for something like a date so the idea of having a conversation after could cause the date to push later than desired for the other party or pending on the age push it past curfew. The advantages is there is very few ways you can screw up the date by saying the wrong thing if you only need to fill a small window with conversation, but there's still a myriad of issues that can occur. Something like a restaurant will usually hold a reservation for 10-15 minutes if something occurs and you're a tad late, but a movie starts right when it starts so some unforseen complication could arise and cause you to arrive late and if you arrive too early then you're stuck waiting around which could reflect poorly. Movies are fairly expensive these days so there are cheaper ways to have a date plus whether or not you plan on concessions factors into the price. If you're a person who doesn't need anything from the concessions and your date is used to having X or Y when they go to the movies you might not have brought enough money for the evening depending on the individual's expectation of who is paying for the evening either the person who asked for the date or the more modern notion of splitting the evenings cost so another potential hiccup that can arise depending on the person. The movie selection is a large part of whether the evening goes off well. Your date might not appreciate an excessively violent film as a date even if they were interested in seeing it. Age appropriateness matters too, if you really wanted to see the new Toy Story film or something that is generally geared to it could reflect poorly as a date movie. A movie that is too 'intellectual' isn't for everybody even if you find it interesting there's no guarantee your date will find it interesting. If there is a chance for too much 'adult content' something in the line of Game of Thrones may be popular but for some it's just softcore with a story and not really an appropriate type of show for a date settings even if they watch it as well it's best to let them watch it in a non-date setting though you could potentially discuss it having watched it separately. Other issues come from where to sit, electronics during the show, hand placement, the surrounding individuals potentially ruining the movie and if that's always your idea of a date lack of originality can factor in.

Basically a movie can be an absolutely abysmal idea or be a pleasant evening there's not really a universal truth to these sort of things but there is a lot of factors to consider of course there are a lot of factors to consider for any date.

PoserPanda likes this.
  6. Cherry3Fairy

Kantoni
    (Eevee (K))
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,063.7
    Black Glasses ★★★★Red Orb ★★★★★Water Stone ★★★Deep Sea Scale ★★★
    Um, now that I think about it, watching a movie for a date is not so much of a good idea. There could be cute and romantic scenes but embarrassing scenes too. So I suggest to go on a movie date only if you are certain there are no weird scenes in that movie.

7. Vitis

Vitis Banned

Hoopa
    (Hoopa)
    Level 2
    PokéPoints:
    ₽51.8
    Usually it's suggested by 'experts' if you go to a movie date you limit it to Opening Weekend so you can blame lack of word of mouth should something come up, Romantic Comedies which are pretty much made for movie dates, or anything that is nominated for an Oscar. Personally while having an excuse is nice not sure it'd work for everybody so not sure if I agree that simply because it's opening weekend that makes it a safe choice, but there's probably some sort of statistical analysis working behind the scenes to qualify folks as 'experts' something has to be going on otherwise they'd be looking for a job then again for some professions 30 percent accuracy is considered 'good' like a baseball player's batting average for instance, but at any rate there seems to be a general consensus in the field for what is 'safe' all the same.

8. PoserPanda

SS EGG 2
    (Giratina Egg (Altered))
    Level 74
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,173.3
    Trainer Card - Cave Theme
    I think if you want to get to know a person, then you would spend time merely talking to them. A person could make the talking more interesting by going outside and eating at a picnic table. That way there aren't other people or families around to make things awkward or loud. But with movies I think it would be less of a way to deeply understand another person, and more just try to get a basic idea of their personality. Some interesting experiments can be done while taking someone on a date to the movies.
    • If you arrive late, do they chastise you, or are they more forgiving?
    • If they arrive late, or too early, do they focus on blaming the situation, or engaging in conversation to move past the time of arrival?
    • How do they treat other people in line who may decide to talk about spoilers from a show that a lot of people watch?
    • What scenes in the movie interested or disgusted the person? How does that reflect on other aspects of their life?
    • Are they comfortable holding hands or snuggling while watching movies? Do they instead keep to themselves and are fully invested in watching, no matter what is playing?
    • If you were thirsty and neither of you had seen the movie, would they be okay with missing some of the film to get you a re-fill on your drink?
    • Do they stay until everyone has left their seats, or is your date willing to leave immediately after the movie has ended?
    If you view movie dates in this way, it could make for an informative first date.