1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

What are you hoping for with the 2019 Pokémon Switch game?

Discussion in 'Switch Pokémon Games' started by Hraesvelgr, Oct 2, 2018.

1. Hraesvelgr

Hraesvelgr Snek in Your Boot

Zapdos Egg
    (Zapdos Egg)
    Level 21
    PokéPoints:
    ₽11,794.7
    Trainer Card - Cave ThemeDragon Fang ★★★★Philosopher's CowlWater Stone ★★★Great Ball ★★
    Not much have been said about this one yet, do you have any hopes for this one? Any features you'd like to see, old or new? Are you hoping for a specific kind of region?

Personally I'm hoping for more option when it comes to trainer customization and not having version exclusive clothes I really disliked that in Gen 7.

Well paced story that may be a bit darker and mature, it doesn't need to be a lot but I wouldn't if we had something similar to Gen 5's story.

Less hand holding, Gen 7 was way too hand holdy for my taste and I know I'm far from being alone on this one.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Wizard

Wizard Do you feel it? The moon's power!

Cupidueye
    (Decidueye (Cupid))
    Level 113
    PokéPoints:
    ₽9,269.2
    Now that I've finished Ultra Moon, there is something that I hope they keep in the series: small side quests with decent rewards. Finding the Totem Stickers was a lot of fun, and I loved the little Pokédex quests that people sent you on too, and they typically paid pretty well.

I also totally agree with character customization. While I'm glad they have it in modern Pokémon, they are still way behind most other franchises in this sense. Would I still play the game if it didn't have cusotmization? Of course, but the customization is always a neat feature. The Switch should open up even more opportunities for that.

One last thing: I want a good number of new Pokémon. Both Generation 6 and 7 introduced relatively small amounts of Pokémon. I want another wave similar to Gen 3 or Gen 4 size (maybe not quite as big as Gen 5).

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Hraesvelgr

Zapdos Egg
    (Zapdos Egg)
    Level 21
    PokéPoints:
    ₽11,794.7
    Trainer Card - Cave ThemeDragon Fang ★★★★Philosopher's CowlWater Stone ★★★Great Ball ★★
    Oh side quests will be really nice, but instead of just a lot of those dex quests even if some had pretty good reward something the build on more of the world would be sweet. Although that might be asking too much of a Pokémon game.

Wizard likes this.
  4. Wizard

Wizard Do you feel it? The moon's power!

Cupidueye
    (Decidueye (Cupid))
    Level 113
    PokéPoints:
    ₽9,269.2
    True, Gamefreak never goes in the directions that anybody expects or wants, but it seems to work out. I think Gen. 7 was a good intro to side quests, and we can expect to see more. Maybe pair that up with some character customization items as rewards, and we have a more open game, which I think goes really well with Pokémon. If we have learned anything from Gen. 7, it's that Pokémon can really take on side quests and stuff well. I'm really hopeful, but you never know with Gamefreak.

5. Vaquero

Vaquero Member of the Charicific Valley

King Crimson
    (Charizard)
    Level 41
    PokéPoints:
    ₽946.5
    Nothing really. Cause smash is the only reason I’m even paying for online switch

6. Wraithcaller

Eden
    (Rayquaza Egg)
    Level 17
    PokéPoints:
    ₽116.8
    -Lots of unique new Pokémon in a gorgeous and varied region packed full of hidden locations and smaller details so we can explore and discover to our heart's content.

-A rich story that is at least comparable to the quality of gen 5.

-The return of the PSS. (Please, please, please...)

-Full compatibility with Pokebank.

-More sidequests!

-More interesting dual types introduced. Especially unused Fairy combos.

-More lore and worldbuilding.

7. Morgaine

Morgaine Goddess of Shinies

Bolero
    (Litleo ♀)
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽5.7
    Crown of ValorSoothe Bell ★Heart Scale ★★Ice Stone ★★★★
    You are pretty much saying everything I want, you have great taste.

Also the less handyholdyness that Hrae mentioned, more customization options (I LOVE DRESSING UP MY TRAINER, FEELS MORE ME).

Also and this is a big wish, but an open gym system where you can just challenge what every gym first and the other gyms adjust to your badge total. Long shot, I would even be happy with a choice between two gyms, but it would give the world an openness

Wraithcaller likes this.
  8. WavePearl

WavePearl Believer in Possibilities

Cuidachta
    (Corvisquire)
    Level 38
    PokéPoints:
    ₽37,633.7
    --More worldbuilding
    --a good number of new Pokémon
    --a good story
    --The return of Gyms and Badges (I do applaud them for trying something new, but the Island Trials were far too hard and at times repetitive)
    --The return of Contests/another viable journey path

9. OzoneFruit

OzoneFruit Made The Arcadia Virus a Cute Anime Girl

Minior (Core Indigo)
    (Minior (Core Indigo))
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽788.4
    Lucky Punch ★★★★★Eject Button ★★★★Castelia Cone ★★★Leftovers ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★
    A gosh darn Bug/Dragon type Pokémon :P

Also, yeah, more clothing options is always fun ^^

10. Skullbash

Skullbash I will become the Pirate King

Ralts ♂
    (Ralts ♂)
    Level 9
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,895.3
    GS Ball ★★★★★Basic Gary Oak ★Cooler Gary Oak ★★★★★Legendary Triforce ★★
    • I'd like to see new mega evolutions or just new evolutions to previous Pokémon.
    • I'd like to see the return of the full battle frontier or maybe even an updated version.
    • This ones kind of a weird thing to miss but I miss when tm's could only be used once.

11. KCkitkat11

KCkitkat11 PKMN Breeder

Who
    (Dialga Egg)
    Level 34
    PokéPoints:
    ₽0.7
    I agree with all of this as well as the less hand-holding idea. Personally, I just want more Pokémon. I felt like the last two generations didn't give us nearly enough, especially since Gen 6 added a whole new type. I'd also like to see the return of Ultra Beasts as well as get more information on what they are exactly and what else might live in Ultra Space. That was the main thing that interested me about Gen 7

12. RadEmpoleon

RadEmpoleon certified EPIC Gamer™

Bondo
    (Sobble)
    Level 9
    PokéPoints:
    ₽4,003.8
    Comet Shard ★★★★Poké Doll ★★
    I want there to be a balance between types so much. Currently there are 143 water types, 116 normal types, 113 flying types, 98 grass types, 85 psychic types, 77 bug types, 68 fire types, 66 poison types, 65 ground types, 60 rock types, 57 fighting types, 54 dark types, 53 steel types (including Meltan), 51 electric types, 50 dragon types, 50 fairy types, 46 ghost types, and 40 ice types. I know Ice type is supposed to be generally for late game Pokémon but there seriously need to be more. Maybe they should buff ice types’ resistances...

13. Hraesvelgr

Zapdos Egg
    (Zapdos Egg)
    Level 21
    PokéPoints:
    ₽11,794.7
    I wouldn't mind if they gave the ice type a slight boost in some manner either, I like ice types but you usually meet them so late that by the time you can catch one you usually already have a full team that's prett ydecent. Plus there's imo just better types around really and there's other types that can learn moves like Ice Beam to deal with things like dragons so ice is kinda just left on the side of the road unless there's one you just must have on your team.

14. Gazi

Lilith
    (Litleo ♀)
    Level 9
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,871.2
    Dawn Stone ★★★★Legendary Triforce ★★Reaper Cloth ★★★
    This is coming out of nowhere, but I serious want a poison/electric Pokémon. I mean, in general I want to see Pokémon pairings that haven't been done yet, but poison/electric is the main one that comes to my mind. Mostly just because I want a Pokémon that represents the strange but amazing pairing of Lt. Surge and Koga.
    *cough*, I mean, I'd like to see what they do with it.
    I also would like to see more emotional dramatic stuff, especially stuff that directly has to do with our character, or stuff that has to do with the evil group...or both, both would be awesome. Like, what if secretly your older sister is the leader of the evil group? (has any of the playable characters had siblings at all?...huh.)

ChocoChicken likes this.
  15. Hraesvelgr

Zapdos Egg
    (Zapdos Egg)
    Level 21
    PokéPoints:
    ₽11,794.7
    Oh I would love an electric/poison type, that is such a neat combo. Plus it would give poison a little boost since it really only gets use for fairy slaying with electric it can be used for a few more types.

16. flareon71

Legegg
    (Mew Egg)
    Level 20
    PokéPoints:
    ₽392.1
    A story that holds a candle to what Gen 5 and 7 brought to the table would be especially nice, gimme more characters I can get invested in (bonus points if the plot reaches PMD levels, gimme feels)

Any more modes to play around with other than battle gauntlets. Mantine Surfing was really nice, but I'm hoping for the level of variety HGSS gave us. Pokeathlon Leagues, multiple Battle Frontier Facilities to toy around with, whatever gives players plenty to do for fun.

Of course, a nice variety of new mons would definitely be nice. A variety that adds to the rarer type combinations.

Really, I just hope this new Pokémon generation is one to blow Gen 7 out of the water. I love Gen 7, but dang, I hope Gen 8 will be worth the wait

17. Wolf Expert

Wolf Expert Canine Scholar

Wolf
    (Riolu)
    Level 24
    PokéPoints:
    ₽761.2
    Moon Ball ★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★Premier Ball ★Friend Ball ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★
    Mario Odyssey and Breath of the Wild really made me want an open world Pokémon game with more of an emphasis on exploration. The way things are now, the games are a bit too linear for my liking. Gen 7 especially.

I'd almost be okay with only having a few new Pokémon and just making it an open world where you can travel from region to region.

WavePearl likes this.
  18. Aalacer

Moonwalk
    (Lunatone)
    Level 22
    PokéPoints:
    ₽484.7
    I would say just that but with something slightly different. Instead of regions I would like a completely new massive region to explore. I'm relatively tired of the way they rely on their previous achievements as if they had to in order to survive or something.

To dream is free :sleep:

19. Dawn

Dawn La vie est drôle

Cresselia
    (Cresselia)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,104.6
    One thing I want that I know I won't get is a proper narrative. If they're going to go with a story-focused game, they need to hire someone who can actually write something original. Or at least something good, because I know original is hard and, I suppose, not necessarily good. I'm more than a little fed up with one-dimensional NPCs who never develop - or worse, do it off-screen and expect you to believe they're totally different people because their Pokémon teams are different; for crying out loud, show and don't tell - and Gen III's plot being recycled over and over and OVER just with a different mascot Legendary. Let's have some meaningful character interaction at the very least...and some subtlety. The world doesn't HAVE to be in peril from the mascot Legendary and evil team for us to have a good time or feel like the stakes are high. Please, please, PLEASE hire a good writer. Please.

I also don't want to see an open world precisely because of Breath of the Wild...and the open-world trend in general, and what that is doing to video games that really do not need open worlds to be good and would be better off without them. I suppose it would be easier for them to fill an open world Pokémon title with meaningful things to do - something they neglected to do with BOTW - but I don't think that approach really gels with the narrative focus they've been pushing and pushing since Gen V. Especially when you consider that roadblocks are a very popular thing in Pokémon titles until you've acquired certain badges or done parts of the story, so really it wouldn't be an open world at all: you'd just be running around a very large and potentially empty space until you did the story anyway. Seems kinda pointless. It might feel better than the island approach of Gen VII, but in reality it'd be exactly the same: parts of the world would be gated off until you'd make sufficient progress. For open world Pokémon to work they'd have to completely redesign the way the games work and I don't see that happening...at least not yet. Either way it's not something I'd like to see because it would mean probably two or three (at least) generations of mediocrity before they finally sorted everything out. It's really not necessary, either - if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Semi-realistically, I'd like everything to be available in the games. Without limited time events, or transfer from previous generation requirements. If the Mystery Dungeon series can do it, there is no reason the core games cannot. I know "gotta catch 'em all" is a retired phrase now because of the obscene number of Pokémon there are, but that's beside the point really - the option to do this would be nice, especially when you consider these games will probably not have postgame because some content will have to be cut so they can sell the game to us a second time in a year or two. Hahaha. Ha.

No DLC. I don't want a season pass for side story content like the Delta Episode. I don't want Amiibo boosts. I definitely do not want microtransactions, or "just cosmetic" costumes for character customisation. I complain a lot about Pokémon, but one thing I won't fault GF for is that they don't ask me to pay for the game more than once, or make me feel like I'm getting less than anyone else who buys the games unless I pay more on top of that for things I wouldn't have had to pay for a couple of generations ago...or even last gen, if they do things like the Delta Episode again and make that DLC. Please do not change this. I know it's begging to be exploited given the popularity of Pokémon, and I know it would also perhaps be cheaper for the consumer than buying a third version/sequel in a year or two with content that could be made into DLC, but please. Sell us an experience that is complete in and of itself.

There are a lot of things I don't want. All I really hope for at this point is that the gameplay remains the same at the core, because that's what keeps me coming back to this series even though I absolute hate the direction it has gone in since Gen IV ended. It could be worse. I hope they don't make it worse.

20. ChocoChicken

Krysmus Azelv (lol)
    (Krysmus Azelv)
    Level 33
    PokéPoints:
    ₽10,004.5
    Misty's EmblemLegendary Triforce ★★
    I'd like to see some new, creative ideas for Pokémon. Anything that doesn't have a design/name that doesn't resemble Muk's in lack of creativity (the concept was cool, but not the creation).
    The hand-holding was a problem, as was the Z-Moves (aka free OHKO) so I thought of something. Since some people like the easy mode and others prefer the hard, how about options for an easy mode and hard mode? It could be an item like the Easy Ring in MOTHER, or an option to toggle the EXP Share's effectiveness to one Pokémon or the entire party, whether there are Z-Moves or not, and so on.
    A concept for a new legendary Trio/Duo with interesting design. So far, I haven't been able to be disappointed by most legendaries (with the exception of Moltres) and I hope that keeps up.
    A snotty jerk for a rival. With Hau and the Kalos Rivals, everything was just too friendly. It's just more fun beating up the teams of people you hate and pouring all your passion in the battle so you don't lose to that butthole.
    EDIT: Another idea is that since the anime and other points have given us so much to work off of, why are we always a normie Trainer getting badges and being the Champion? Couldn't you have other routes like Coordinating? Having an ability to choose what title you're fighting for would be great, instead of being the "world's first 10-year-old-champion" every single time.
    EDIT II:
    New pairings are also great! Especially since there are so many they haven't touched, yet they keep repeating old things like Normal-Flying (god there are too many), Bug-Flying, Grass-Poison, Bug-Poison, etc. Why not try out new combinations like Normal-Bug, Fire-Fairy, Fighting-Electric... the list goes on and on! Hell, I'd be happy with Fire-Grass. Just animate a burning tree or fire flowers or something like that.
    And, last, and most importantly:
    MORE BIRDS.

#20 Oct 8, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2018